Chernobyl Diaries - From the creator of Paranormal Activity & Insidious - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 04-20-2012, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 123
In theaters 5/25

Worth a rent?

Six tourists hire an extreme tour guide who takes them to the abandoned city Pripyat, the former home to the workers of the Chernobyl nuclear reactor. During their exploration, they soon discover they are not alone.

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-21-2012, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 67
If it opens in May, it should be available to rent (or buy) just in time for October. Consider it added to the list.
post #3 of 16 Old 04-22-2012, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 129
I hated Paranormal Activity, it did absolutely nothing for me, this one looks like it has more promise. With the great setting, this would have been a super place to make a capture/torture movie!!! Now that would have been good. Still looks like its worth a watch though.

never take life seriously
post #4 of 16 Old 04-24-2012, 01:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I saw the trailer a few days after we visited the actual site late March; was sort of sad as seeing the trailer beforehand might have added a bit of twist to the trip there. The actual place has quite a funny aura and you sort of feel you're in the set of "Life after people". Was not fan of Paranormal Activity, but this a must see, if not for anything else than to see how much they have twisted the reality (in addition to adding the Monsters, like our tour guide told us "I assure you, there are no mutants here" ). The trailer already showed that where reality is not menacing enuff, it must be improved...
post #5 of 16 Old 04-24-2012, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I figured they got tired of the normal mutated hillbillies killing Americans, what to do?

Lets go back to the USSR! (ok Russia).

I may catch it, have yet to make up my mind on this.
post #6 of 16 Old 04-24-2012, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tn1krr View Post

I saw the trailer a few days after we visited the actual site late March; was sort of sad as seeing the trailer beforehand might have added a bit of twist to the trip there. The actual place has quite a funny aura and you sort of feel you're in the set of "Life after people". Was not fan of Paranormal Activity, but this a must see, if not for anything else than to see how much they have twisted the reality (in addition to adding the Monsters, like our tour guide told us "I assure you, there are no mutants here" ). The trailer already showed that where reality is not menacing enuff, it must be improved...

Whoa! The guide telling me there were no mutants would have scared me more. Lol. This sounds like an interesting trip. Any pics you can share?

31 Days of Horror:

post #7 of 16 Old 04-24-2012, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Yes, share some pics if you have any. It's one trip that I would absolutely love to go on.

Trailer looks good, though I have to say I'm a little bit skeptical with the cast and crew doing it. Is this a limited release? Still a month away, but this is the first I've heard of it.

XBL & PSN - Harpua77
post #8 of 16 Old 04-24-2012, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballen420 View Post

Yes, share some pics if you have any. It's one trip that I would absolutely love to go on.

Trailer looks good, though I have to say I'm a little bit skeptical with the cast and crew doing it. Is this a limited release? Still a month away, but this is the first I've heard of it.

Trailer is running before The Cabin in the woods. Also saw it before another movies a few weeks ago.
post #9 of 16 Old 04-24-2012, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchone View Post

Trailer is running before The Cabin in the woods. Also saw it before another movies a few weeks ago.

Good to know. Was worried it might be a limited release.

It's a subject/area that rarely gets touched upon for movies, so I'm hoping it's something special as we probably won't see another movie on Chernobyl for quite some time.

XBL & PSN - Harpua77
post #10 of 16 Old 04-25-2012, 03:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack View Post

Whoa! The guide telling me there were no mutants would have scared me more. Lol. This sounds like an interesting trip. Any pics you can share?

We took a pile of pics, here's a select few. This trip is truly not extreme touring, the gamma dose during the day equal what you get during 3 hour flight in 30k feet. Normal cautions apply, do not each anything from the ground as eating radioactive stuff is not a good idea Sort of funny thing is that this upposedly unhabitable place suffers from overgrown wildlife population and the tour guide warned us to stick together and not wonder anywhere alone: large packs of Wild Hogs there can supposedly be dangerous to a single person...

The reactor Sarcophagus from about 150 m or so distance. This was the place of highest radiation during the tour, the dosemeters were beeping constantly. We were only allowed to stay in that position for 10 minutes

Gas mask room in a school in Prypiat. The story, not 100% sure if it is true: Soviet schools had big stores of gas masks stored in case of 3rd world war. When the accident happened they were not used (why would they be used, they are for war ). Using common sense one would think that anything that reduces inhaling from radiactive cloud wouldd actually be an excellent idea...

The plant/sarcophagus seen from top of the a building in Prypiat. This is something they changed in the movie, real thing is propably not menacing/nuclear looking enuff

Life after people: School books etc. were left in the classrooms as the Prypiat city was emptied next day after the accident. Over 25 years later they are still there...

Life after people: Prypiat was a model Soviet city with amusement parks etc. Time has taken its toll...

post #11 of 16 Old 04-25-2012, 03:28 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 73
^^^ Those pics remind me of the ones taken some years ago by a Russian woman whose father was a scientist and she got a special pass to be able to ride her motorcycle through some of the area and take pictures. Spooky.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #12 of 16 Old 04-25-2012, 03:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

^^^ Those pics remind me of the ones taken some years ago by a Russian woman whose father was a scientist and she got a special pass to be able to ride her motorcycle through some of the area and take pictures. Spooky.

larry

Reminds me of the Game STALKER. I wonder why.

Good movies are as rare as an on topic discussion.
post #13 of 16 Old 04-25-2012, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

larry

Yes...KiddofSpeed.

I remember reading it years ago and believe it came out as being fake/exaggerated (she didn't even take the majority of the pics). Might have to go through it again as I remember it had some cool pics in it.

XBL & PSN - Harpua77
post #14 of 16 Old 04-25-2012, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tn1krr View Post

We took a pile of pics, here's a select few.

Amazing pictures thanks for sharing them. Beautiful and haunting images. I can't get over that room filled with gas masks. Wow.

31 Days of Horror:

post #15 of 16 Old 05-01-2012, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Great pictures and I can't wait for the movie, based on the preview it looked like a hoot!

"I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!!!" - Barton Fink
post #16 of 16 Old 05-18-2012, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Reminds me of I am Legend or something. Like underground in the dark are the creatures
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page