KOA
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

I'm not sure what's your point, are you trying to say those actors you mentioned were similar in that they all acted the same?
well if you are, it's a lame attempt because trying to lump clooney with that list is like trying to lump a Fiat with a Shelby. In a totally diff league.

You do realize that "that totally different league" Fiat basically owns Ferrari? wink.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 52 Old 08-11-2012, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOA View Post

You do realize that "that totally different league" Fiat basically owns Ferrari? wink.gif
LOL, I was going to point that out, but I didn't think Zoey would be too impressed....wink.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #33 of 52 Old 08-11-2012, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

I'm not sure what's your point, are you trying to say those actors you mentioned were similar in that they all acted the same?
well if you are, it's a lame attempt because trying to lump clooney with that list is like trying to lump a Fiat with a Shelby. In a totally diff league.
There are leagues?

There are actors and there are movie stars. Is that what you meant?

post #34 of 52 Old 08-11-2012, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOA View Post

So whoopie doo, BMW owns rolls-royce and VW owns porsche does that mean it's better? wink-wink smarty pants
post #35 of 52 Old 08-11-2012, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

So whoopie doo, BMW owns rolls-royce and VW owns porsche does that mean it's better? wink-wink smarty pants
I just knew you wouldn't be too impressed.biggrin.gifwink.gif

post #36 of 52 Old 08-11-2012, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamian View Post

There are leagues?
There are actors and there are movie stars. Is that what you meant?
what I meant and guess I'll have to spell it for you is that clooney is a rinky dink small time wanna-be italian sports car Fiat and that list you asked me if I liked them J Wayne, Stewart, Cagney are bonafide legends like a Shelby. Once in while, people will try to prove a point by sneaking in a junk to quality comparison to prove their opinion as in "I assumed" you did when you asked me that rhetorical question if I liked them in my comment that Clooney acts the same in all his movies. Yes but the big diff is that those list of legends do it well with class and style as if that needs to be said.
post #37 of 52 Old 08-11-2012, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:

um...regarding BMW, yes. tongue.gif
post #38 of 52 Old 08-11-2012, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

what I meant and guess I'll have to spell it for you is that clooney is a rinky dink small time wanna-be italian sports car Fiat and that list you asked me if I liked them J Wayne, Stewart, Cagney are bonafide legends like a Shelby. Once in while, people will try to prove a point by sneaking in a junk to quality comparison to prove their opinion as in "I assumed" you did when you asked me that rhetorical question if I liked them in my comment that Clooney acts the same in all his movies. Yes but the big diff is that those list of legends do it well with class and style as if that needs to be said.
Thank you for your opinion. Be that as it may, Clooney happens to be a movie star of our generation, your hatred notwithstanding.

post #39 of 52 Old 08-11-2012, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
She has a habit of making absurd remarks, then changing the subject when challenged. It's just the internet, nothing to see here, move along ...

Eve: I thought I was through getting involved with men who were trouble. Falling in love on a look. I can't look at you.

Mickey: You have perfection about you. Your eyes have music. Your heart's the best part of your body. And when you move, every man, woman and child is forced to watch.
post #40 of 52 Old 08-11-2012, 12:38 PM
KOA
Advanced Member

Quote:

You mentioned BMW owning RR but not VW owning Bentley? cool.gif (I put shades on so you can't see if I'm winking.)
post #41 of 52 Old 08-11-2012, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I just knew you wouldn't be too impressed.biggrin.gifwink.gif
You know me too well oinkster. I think we park our cars in the same garage for the most part despite I know you're clooney supporter which is 100% perfectly fine which I have no problems with it it's just my personal opinion. And I never questioned or attacked anyone on it...it's my opinion so move on if you don't like it as I was just trying to answer the silly rhetorical question which I should have totally ignored since it's just another bait trick again....unlike some other quacks who make absurd stupid comments and can't comprehend because I don't share their view.
post #42 of 52 Old 08-11-2012, 03:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
Quote:

what I meant and guess I'll have to spell it for you is that clooney is a rinky dink small time wanna-be italian sports car Fiat and that list you asked me if I liked them J Wayne, Stewart, Cagney are bonafide legends like a Shelby.

They're legends in people's minds, but if you look at their actual acting, and I mean really look, there is a sense of "sameness" about most if not all their roles. Wayne especially. He made a career out of basically playing the same character over and over. Cagney and Stewart also had a tough time breaking out of their familiar roles (Cagney a tough guy, Stewart a mild-mannered dude, etc.) They of course had some range, but I'd argue no more (or not significantly more) than Clooney.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #43 of 52 Old 08-11-2012, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

They're legends in people's minds, but if you look at their actual acting, and I mean really look, there is a sense of "sameness" about most if not all their roles. Wayne especially. He made a career out of basically playing the same character over and over. Cagney and Stewart also had a tough time breaking out of their familiar roles (Cagney a tough guy, Stewart a mild-mannered dude, etc.) They of course had some range, but I'd argue no more (or not significantly more) than Clooney.

True for the vast majority of actors - Redford and Roberts come to mind for starters. There are very few true character actors, what most actors do is process the character through their own personality - make the character their own as they say.

I'll nominate William Fichtner as a true character actor. Compare Underneath/Contact/Heat.

Eve: I thought I was through getting involved with men who were trouble. Falling in love on a look. I can't look at you.

Mickey: You have perfection about you. Your eyes have music. Your heart's the best part of your body. And when you move, every man, woman and child is forced to watch.
post #44 of 52 Old 08-11-2012, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

...if you look at their actual acting, and I mean really look, there is a sense of "sameness" about most if not all their roles.
One of the reasons I like John Lithgow so much is because of his ability to do so many different types of characters, and do them well. From sadistic villain (Cliffhanger) to zany alien (Third Rock from the Sun) to pathetic lovesick bachelor (Amazing Stories episode "The Doll"), he pulls them all off. You don't see a lot of actors with that kind of range.
post #45 of 52 Old 08-11-2012, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Nelson View Post

One of the reasons I like John Lithgow so much is because of his ability to do so many different types of characters, and do them well. From sadistic villain (Cliffhanger) to zany alien (Third Rock from the Sun) to pathetic lovesick bachelor (Amazing Stories episode "The Doll"), he pulls them all off. You don't see a lot of actors with that kind of range.

Loved him in All That Jazz.

post #46 of 52 Old 08-12-2012, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

One of the reasons I like John Lithgow so much is because of his ability to do so many different types of characters, and do them well. From sadistic villain (Cliffhanger) to zany alien (Third Rock from the Sun) to pathetic lovesick bachelor (Amazing Stories episode "The Doll"), he pulls them all off.
Don't forget him as The Big Bad on Dexter a couple of years ago...he was fantastic.cool.gif

post #47 of 52 Old 08-12-2012, 01:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Don't forget him as The Big Bad on Dexter a couple of years ago...he was fantastic.cool.gif
He was better than fantastic; he killed!

post #48 of 52 Old 08-12-2012, 04:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:

John Lithgow as a villain tends to add an extra bizarre quality to films, which says a lot in the cases of the already ridiculous films "Ricochet" and "Cliffhanger." I think his looks alone bring his villainous characters to a sadistic level.
post #49 of 52 Old 08-12-2012, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 38
That's because when someone comes up with a good premise, there's typically no restraint during production. So many films are ruined by taking their concepts "over-the-top". Ricochet is a prime example of brilliance and ridiculousness.

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #50 of 52 Old 08-12-2012, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 View Post

John Lithgow as a villain tends to add an extra bizarre quality to films, which says a lot in the cases of the already ridiculous films "Ricochet" and "Cliffhanger." I think his looks alone bring his villainous characters to a sadistic level.
I think his soft voice also has something to with it.
John Malkovich and Gary Oldman also have this weird quality IMO.

post #51 of 52 Old 08-06-2013, 02:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

It is absolutely a movie for grown-ups.wink.gif

Easily one of last year's best.
In fact, I rate it higher than The Artist.

Very percipient my porcine friend.

On vacation in Kauai and went on atv tour today that takes you to the location
used for the overlook of the hidden beach of the lands held by the trust.

spectacular

Came back inspired and watched descendents. Movie holds up quite well more than a year later. Great, thoughtful, well portrayed film. The kind we get all too infrequently

and yes, it certainly is a superior movie to the inexplicably honored the artist

neflixis our nemesis
post #52 of 52 Old 08-06-2013, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

Very percipient my porcine friend.

On vacation in Kauai and went on atv tour today that takes you to the location
used for the overlook of the hidden beach of the lands held by the trust.

spectacular

Came back inspired and watched descendents. Movie holds up quite well more than a year later. Great, thoughtful, well portrayed film. The kind we get all too infrequently

and yes, it certainly is a superior movie to the inexplicably honored the artist
Hope you don't catch too much rain.
The northern half of the island can get some terrific downpours...wink.gif

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page