Alfonso Cuaron's new film ("Gravity") to feature 17 minute opening long take - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 738 Old 10-17-2013, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

P.S: I don't want to speak for oink, but he even called it a chick flick;) not exactly synonym of the greatest film ever made.

biggrin.gif

I KNOW what I posted about oink, iamian and Aliens' stated opinions is totally inaccurate. But I was beginning to detect a bit of "defensiveness" from one or more of them about my twisting of their posts to refute a point none of them ever made. Nice to see it "isn't me", after all. I support any offense and ongoing correction of my twisting of their posts they care to indulge. Seriously. I wholeheartedly believe each and every one of them has the right and should push back and set the record straight about my twisting of their words and posts.

Now, imagine if a poster had a deep seated fixation on you as Josh has for me. Where he isn't content to just twist my words and misrepresent my opinion on a particular movie...but for all movies made in the past 30 years or so. LOL! I would at least feel justified in enjoying calling him out as a liar for it. As I would fully accept oink, iamian and Aliens calling me a liar for how I twisted their words this time. I don't think anyone is taking an "argument" too far to do that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 738 Old 10-17-2013, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

OKAY, NOW I get what you're doing.biggrin.gif
My apologies....I didn't realize you were just funning us.

In the future, tip us off when you go into this mode and we won't take your posts seriously (use the "wink" icon, for example).

Ahhh...!

Actually, I did top off my first post assuming the role of "Josh Z" for a change (post #337) with a biggrin.gif

It's fun to see your opinion twisted and lied about so much, isn't it?
biggrin.gif
post #363 of 738 Old 10-17-2013, 12:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Guys, I know we've all got a lot going on right now and nobody really wants to deal with this, but it may be time to talk about putting Uncle Hitch in a home. He may resist, but really, it would be the best thing for him and for everyone else.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #364 of 738 Old 10-17-2013, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Guys, I know we've all got a lot going on right now and nobody really wants to deal with this, but it may be time to talk about putting Uncle Hitch in a home. He may resist, but really, it would be the best thing for him and for everyone else.

No matter where I am, Josh, as long as I've got an Internet connection and a computer I'll be able to call you out for lying about my opinion of movies over the past 30 years whenever your weird and deep seated fixation on me and on lying about what I've posted rears its ugly head. LOL!
post #365 of 738 Old 10-17-2013, 03:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 606
Hey! I thought Gravity was the greatest movie I've ever seen*, and I don't get no love from hitch. What am I, chopped liver? That seem right to you?

*Well, not really, but I did enjoy it quite a bit!
post #366 of 738 Old 10-17-2013, 03:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitchfan View Post

Ahhh...!

Actually, I did top off my first post assuming the role of "Josh Z" for a change (post #337) with a biggrin.gif
Yes, you did and I missed it.redface.gif

Quote:
It's fun to see your opinion twisted and lied about so much, isn't it?
biggrin.gif
Ummm, actually, not so much.
I have had it happen to me by parties-who-shall-not-named and it usually ends up with posts deleted and/or warnings issued by mods.
And I don't like either....

Quote:

We could have him strapped to a chair with his eyelids propped opened ala Clockwork Orange and subjected to an endless loop of Gravity and Beethoven's 9th....

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Hey! I thought Gravity was the greatest movie I've ever seen*, and I don't get no love from hitch. What am I, chopped liver? That seem right to you?
You are a well-known abuser of livers, sir....oh, wait!tongue.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #367 of 738 Old 10-17-2013, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary McCoy View Post

I have to admit, I paid for and enjoyed a D-Box motion seat last week when I saw Gravity. Although not very popular here, the result I noticed was that D-Box motion seating added greatly to the sense of immersion for this particular film.

I cranked the D-Box intensity to the maximum and simply lifted my feet from the floor and my arms from the armrests. The seat was going through low speed and low intensity oscillations that were synchronized with the slow "camera movements" on screen and these resulted in a sense that one was floating - about as convincing an illusion as I have ever felt from D-Box, and uniquely appropriate for a simulation of zero gravity. It would seem that one's posterior is not particularly sensitive with respect to detecting small slow movements.

Having read about how the actors were placed into lighting frames and the cameras were moved to change the perspective, while entire spacecraft interiors were inserted by CGI, I now understand that this is part of the illusion of this film. It is very well done, and in fact the best D-Box experience I have had, far exceeding the jolts and accelerations one gets in a typical action film, which were present but only at those most intense moments when the actors were pummeled by debris or experiencing collisions.

wow what theater has this, i want to check it out

does the damn contraption give you a handjob during the show?

just trying to lighten things up around here smile.gif

neflixis our nemesis
post #368 of 738 Old 10-17-2013, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

*Well, not really, but I did enjoy it quite a bit!

Don't try to pull that stunt around here, archiguy. Everyone who reads your posts knows very well you have stated time and time again you hated Gravity with a white hot passion and were thinking of preparing a law suit to retrieve your $15 and those precious 91 minutes of your life wasted watching it.

biggrin.gif

Ladies and gentlemen, the role of "Josh Z" in today's performance was performed by guest artist hitchfan. Everyone please feel free to turn on your cellphones, thank you for coming, and have a safe trip back home.
post #369 of 738 Old 10-17-2013, 10:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Don't try to pull that stunt around here, archiguy. Everyone who reads your posts knows very well you have stated time and time again you hated Gravity with a white hot passion and were thinking of preparing a law suit to retrieve your $15 and those precious 91 minutes of your life wasted watching it.

biggrin.gif

Ladies and gentlemen, the role of "Josh Z" in today's performance was performed by guest artist hitchfan. Everyone please feel free to turn on your cellphones, thank you for coming, and have a safe trip back home.
I hate to mention this little bit of irony...but, according to the AVS Post Counter, that was your 2001st post.tongue.gif
lordcloud likes this.

post #370 of 738 Old 10-18-2013, 02:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Mr. Wally, the Camera 7 theater in the Pruneyard shopping center in Campbell has D-Box seating, Sony 4K Cinealta projectors, and THX sound.

Gary McCoy
The United States Constitution ©1791. All Rights Reserved.

post #371 of 738 Old 10-18-2013, 07:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Hey, that matinee IMAX 3-D showing was $17 man! With pain & suffering that comes to...let's see, carry the 1, divide by pi.... $4,273! My attorneys, Ewe, Cheatum, & Howe, are on the case. After they collect their fee, I expect to recover....$15. Dang.
post #372 of 738 Old 10-18-2013, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I hate to mention this little bit of irony...but, according to the AVS Post Counter, that was your 2001st post.tongue.gif

cool.gif Wish I could take credit for having timed it that way, but...cue the Twilight Zone music...
post #373 of 738 Old 10-18-2013, 10:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:

No matter where I am, Josh, as long as I've got an Internet connection and a computer I'll be able to call you out for lying about my opinion of movies over the past 30 years whenever your weird and deep seated fixation on me and on lying about what I've posted rears its ugly head. LOL!

Some more fun quotes from hitchfan:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1336055/im-sick-of-all-this-mess/240#post_20549054
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitchfan 
Defenders of movies of the past 30 years as generally "no worse" than those of the previous 30 years would need an undeservedly high opinion of yourselves to think such a thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitchfan 
I could easily cite several reasons the filmmakers of 1958 would be far more motivated to produce something of value for their adult and adult-minded teenage audience than the filmmakers of 2008 would for theirs. And my judgment call is they did. Motivations to do something actually matter. I think those lists illustrate that. And I think you'd have to be in denial about our lower expectations today or harbor an undeservedly high opinion of yourself to think today's filmmakers would be every bit as motivated to produce something of value for our movie-going dollar as those of 1958.

There is probably no way to reverse that 30-35 year long trend in the foreseeable future. But for those of us who would like a 2013, 2014 or 2025 with more new releases geared to wow an adult mind and sensibility, accepting the idea that it is just our imagination that the stuff they're selling us today is of lesser value is definitely more part of the problem than the solution.

Nope, no bias against modern movies at all there. rolleyes.gif

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #374 of 738 Old 10-18-2013, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I feel like Gravity was made for a wide (read: dumb) audience. Now that I've realized that, I've made peace with it. It was my expectations that were out of whack; no fault of the movie's.
post #375 of 738 Old 10-18-2013, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Nope, no bias against modern movies at all there. rolleyes.gif

Let it go.

post #376 of 738 Old 10-18-2013, 11:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Nope, no bias against modern movies at all there. rolleyes.gif
Josh, Hitch is just pulling our chains....and perhaps a little too well.wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamian View Post

Let it go.
This....

post #377 of 738 Old 10-18-2013, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
This....

Iagree

post #378 of 738 Old 10-18-2013, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Josh, if you cannot on legitimate terms refute the points I made in those quotes you cited, which you apparently cannot, that doesn't mean a legitimate substitute for your inability to do so is to dismiss them summarily by repeatedly lying that I have ever stated or suggested that "there have been virtually no worthwhile movies made since 1970".

You are wrong to expect that to be the case and look pathetic trying to convince anyone that is the case over and over again. So, take your lumps, lick your wounds and get over this latest richly deserved spanking I've given you for being a silly little childish fibber.
post #379 of 738 Old 10-18-2013, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcdade View Post

I feel like Gravity was made for a wide (read: dumb) audience. Now that I've realized that, I've made peace with it. It was my expectations that were out of whack; no fault of the movie's.

As I read your posts I can see that you and I agree about Gravity for the most part. But I don't agree that the widest audience for movies out there is dumb (if that is what you meant). When there are lines around the block on opening weekend or even the following weekend for certain movies, I believe a lot of those people are there, as was I, in hopes that it really would live up to the kind of "Greatest Cinematic Experience of Our Time" buzz and hype it's been getting. When it turns out the movie is just ok and not likely to wind up even among the top 500 movies compiled by some future AFI Greatest Movies or Sight and Sound Greatest Movies group 50 years from now, it doesn't mean that the people standing in those lines (and perhaps millions more who might have stood in those lines but no longer rely on the hope that brought me to it on its opening weekend. lol!) are dumb. I think many of them (us) are truly hungry for this era's Lawrence of Arabia or The Godfather, whether or not today's filmmakers are enabled or encouraged to produce them.

You'll find many of my assessments for how and why we are less likely to find one of those popping up in our local theaters in the threads and context of my quotes Josh has provided in this thread. My opinion is we are less likely to see that kind of product popping up because of the topics raised in those threads; over-reliance on hand-held/shaky cam, over-reliance on CGI, the race to have a number 1 blockbuster opening weekend, etc.
post #380 of 738 Old 10-19-2013, 04:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:

As I read your posts I can see that you and I agree about Gravity for the most part. But I don't agree that the widest audience for movies out there is dumb (if that is what you meant). When there are lines around the block on opening weekend or even the following weekend for certain movies, I believe a lot of those people are there, as was I, in hopes that it really would live up to the kind of "Greatest Cinematic Experience of Our Time" buzz and hype it's been getting. When it turns out the movie is just ok and not likely to wind up even among the top 500 movies compiled by some future AFI Greatest Movies or Sight and Sound Greatest Movies group 50 years from now, it doesn't mean that the people standing in those lines (and perhaps millions more who might have stood in those lines but no longer rely on the hope that brought me to it on its opening weekend. lol!) are dumb. I think many of them (us) are truly hungry for this era's Lawrence of Arabia or The Godfather, whether or not today's filmmakers are enabled or encouraged to produce them.

But it should also be noted that word of mouth for Gravity has been exceptional so far and that reflects on its box office performance. It's not just an "ok movie", it *is* a spectacular and unusual cinematic experience, maybe for a lot of people. Whether or not it meets one's expecations is another story. People are seeing it more than once and it should still be #1 after 3 weeks. People are not dumb indeed, and apparently they kinda like this ok insignificant little movie.
post #381 of 738 Old 10-19-2013, 04:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

over-reliance on hand-held/shaky cam, over-reliance on CGI,

Come to think of it maybe that's one of the reasons people love Gravity: no shaky-cam or relentless action, seamless and convincing CGI, 3D that for the first time might not be completely useless...
post #382 of 738 Old 10-19-2013, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 386
I don't mind putting the various space platforms in extremely similar orbits too much. The most egregious error was having to let go of the Clooney character. A SLIGHT tug on the cord would have brought him to her.
Dbuudo07 likes this.
post #383 of 738 Old 10-19-2013, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post

The most egregious error was having to let go of the Clooney character. A SLIGHT tug on the cord would have brought him to her.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Clooney could see the threads slipping away from her foot/ankle, that is why he knew if she did anything like that it was all over for the both of them.
post #384 of 738 Old 10-19-2013, 04:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

Clooney could see the threads slipping away from her foot/ankle, that is why he knew if she did anything like that it was all over for the both of them.

The problem with that scene, to me, was (isn't this fun?)... Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
There must have been some rotational motion of the debris she was attached to to stretch both of their lines taut, yet I don't remember seeing the star field behind them rotate. Then when Clooney cut himself loose she just drifted on back like there was suddenly no rotational motion.

Admittedly, I'd have to see it again to be sure.
post #385 of 738 Old 10-19-2013, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

An ounce of force would have been sufficient. Not enough to make the cord around her leg slip. Also, presumably she reached down and grabbed the line around her leg. Hanging on to Clooney with her other hand wouldn't have prevented that. Once that's done, she just has to tug very slightly, and wait a little.
"There must have been some rotational motion of the debris she was attached to to stretch both of their lines taut, yet I don't remember seeing the star field behind them rotate." I thought about rotational motion too, but there was none to be seen. Once his motion was stopped, he would have been applying no force at all to the line.
post #386 of 738 Old 10-19-2013, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:

The problem with that scene, to me, was (isn't this fun?)... Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
There must have been some rotational motion of the debris she was attached to to stretch both of their lines taut, yet I don't remember seeing the star field behind them rotate. Then when Clooney cut himself loose she just drifted on back like there was suddenly no rotational motion.

Admittedly, I'd have to see it again to be sure.
There was no rotation. You could see that in the long shot. Slowly but surely those lines kept coming loose.
post #387 of 738 Old 10-19-2013, 05:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^ You know, that's the kind of thing that could make rescind my belief that this was the greatest movie I've ever seen!

Now I ain't never gonna to get no love from Hitch. Dang.
post #388 of 738 Old 10-20-2013, 02:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:

But it should also be noted that word of mouth for Gravity has been exceptional so far and that reflects on its box office performance. It's not just an "ok movie", it *is* a spectacular and unusual cinematic experience, maybe for a lot of people. Whether or not it meets one's expecations is another story. People are seeing it more than once and it should still be #1 after 3 weeks. People are not dumb indeed, and apparently they kinda like this ok insignificant little movie.
This is because due mostly to the amazing box office diva that is S Bullock. The woman is a studio's sweetheart, she really can do no wrong as critics and movie goers lover her to death as proof in the 98% RT.

Family audiences like her because they know they will get solid entertainment without much profanity, violence, and gore. Seriously, this movie could have been about Bullock selling burgers in a food truck and it will still make 100 million+. And then of course Cuaron added Mr douche Clooney for the women for added insurance..you have a formula for box office domination. Clooney once again mails in his performance with the exact same screen presence and speech patterns of every other role he has ever played.
post #389 of 738 Old 10-20-2013, 04:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

This is because due mostly to the amazing box office diva that is S Bullock. The woman is a studio's sweetheart, she really can do no wrong as critics and movie goers lover her to death as proof in the 98% RT.

Family audiences like her because they know they will get solid entertainment without much profanity, violence, and gore. Seriously, this movie could have been about Bullock selling burgers in a food truck and it will still make 100 million+. And then of course Cuaron added Mr douche Clooney for the women for added insurance..you have a formula for box office domination. Clooney once again mails in his performance with the exact same screen presence and speech patterns of every other role he has ever played.

Most of the RT critics focus on the cinematography, tension, suspense, visuals, directing, etc, as well as acting yes.

Did you like the movie?
post #390 of 738 Old 10-20-2013, 04:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:

Most of the RT critics focus on the cinematography, tension, suspense, visuals, directing, etc, as well as acting yes.

Did you like the movie?
Gonna have to politely agree to disagree on this one. Not all but some critics like a certain actor/actress or director they tend to give the movie a positive review.

As for the movie it was vastly over rated, but it's prob just me. I didn't find anything great with his other film Children of Men either which was also highly praised in the mid 90% RT. I just click or don't with certain directors. And Clooney,..seems like he just smiles and smirks like he's doing a shoot for teen beat magazine..no emotion no expression
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page