Alfonso Cuaron's new film ("Gravity") to feature 17 minute opening long take - Page 16 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 738 Old 10-26-2013, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

Gary Lockwood and Keir Dullea discuss the making of 2001. You won’t believe how they both look - almost unrecognizable, especially Lockwood.

Why would you expect them to be recognizable? They're not exactly household names.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 738 Old 10-26-2013, 09:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 545 Post(s)
Liked: 786
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamian View Post

Why would you expect them to be recognizable? They're not exactly household names.

And they're much older as well. Not every dude ages as well as Robert Redford, just like not every gal ages as well as Helen Mirren.
post #453 of 738 Old 10-26-2013, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 504
Quote:

They are to me. I remember them well. 2001 is burned into my brain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

And they're much older as well. Not every dude ages as well as Robert Redford, just like not every gal ages as well as Helen Mirren.

Glad you mentioned that because it would have never entered my mind. rolleyes.gif This revelation is always brought up when aging is mentioned.

At least with the majority of people you can see a resemblance; with Lockwood there isn’t a hint.
post #454 of 738 Old 10-26-2013, 02:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 926
Quote:

Truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

At least with the majority of people you can see a resemblance;
I'll have you know sir, once I was described as having "movie star good looks" (notice I said "once" tongue.gif)

Swine are good people too.
post #455 of 738 Old 10-26-2013, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Nelson View Post

While it may not be a particularly big technical challenge to produce such a long take with CGI, artistically it's quite a different matter. I found that it drew me into the movie very effectively while at the same time managing to introduce the environment, the characters and the physics, all of which were important for the story. It's not trivial to set down all the goals you need to meet with that kind of scene and then come up with a way to do it in a creative and compelling manner.
Very well said.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #456 of 738 Old 10-26-2013, 05:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I'll have you know sir, once I was described as having "movie star good looks" (notice I said "once" tongue.gif)

No kidding! I found this never before seen pic of Brother oink rockin' the bow-tie...

What a handsome devil! biggrin.gif
post #457 of 738 Old 10-26-2013, 11:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Gotta admit...I do rock a mean bow.wink.gif

post #458 of 738 Old 10-27-2013, 12:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Makes me want to grill a loin

neflixis our nemesis
post #459 of 738 Old 10-27-2013, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

I think he's saying they didn't age well.

McIntosh MX151 Owner's Thread

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Parasound Halo, JL Audio
Audioxtream.com
post #460 of 738 Old 10-27-2013, 09:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

Makes me want to grill a loin
As long as it's beef loin, I ain't got a problem with it.tongue.gif

post #461 of 738 Old 10-28-2013, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

‘Gravity’ Soars Past $300 Million at Worldwide Box Office

I agree. The film has proved it's got legs so the predictions that Bad Grandpa will knock it out of the number one spot are premature IMO.

And so ends my role as a prognosticator.

Quote:
After dominating the box office for three-straight weeks, Gravity fell to second place behind Jackass spin-off Bad Grandpa. Meanwhile, Ridley Scott's The Counselor became the latest October release to disappoint with an opening below $10 million.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3744&p=.htm

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #462 of 738 Old 10-28-2013, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

And so ends my role as a prognosticator.
/quote]

yep, can't wait to hear bad grandpa in atmos

neflixis our nemesis
post #463 of 738 Old 11-21-2013, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 59
7 minute short that is not in the theatrical release. But it does explain something that happens during the movie.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
post #464 of 738 Old 11-21-2013, 05:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
it doesnt explain anything, its just a different view of the scene
post #465 of 738 Old 11-21-2013, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulls View Post

it doesnt explain anything, its just a different view of the scene
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
And you never wondered what was going on? Or perhaps you are fluent in that language? Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
post #466 of 738 Old 11-21-2013, 07:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
i used to be in 90036, miss it ... Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
she thought he understood what she was saying, dude didnt, and i did not need to know what he was actually saying... it didnt make a difference to her situation
they could have played this after the credits
post #467 of 738 Old 11-21-2013, 10:00 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked: 1169
I liked it and thought it was touching. Now when the next time I watch Gravity I will know what he is saying to her. Nice. smile.gif

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #468 of 738 Old 11-24-2013, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
well, i missed out on IMAX 3d and Atmos, but I finally caught this in REALD last night. what a spectacular flick! Its a lot like Jaws, Alien and the original Halloween as simple concept movies that are just viscerally awesome due sheer craftsmanship! I have stated in other threads that I had yet to see a movie where 3D was an absolute requirement as opposed to an enhancement, and GRAVITY just may be it.

I dunno, my LH90 was one of the last pre-3d Smart TVs and I dont have a 3D player nor 1.4 HDMI cables. I never minded simply because I couldnt see myself ever using 3D even seldomly for home theatre. But now Im wondering if I should just go ahead and get a GRAVITY 2D/3D blu ray combo just for future use. Especially since it now appears that 3d capabilities are not really adding much more cost. Heck, I may even get a 4K GRAVITY Blu Ray so 10 years from now I can play it!! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

kinda hoping this wins best picture and incentivises the studio to re-release it in 3d but in real IMAX (yes, i am one of those Lie-Max haters). how cool would that be?

lastly, i gotta give props to sandra bullock. a courageous performance and hugely critical since she was pretty much the only actor in the movie for so long. Although i never disliked her and thought she had a cute, fun personality (im sure we all remember her from Speed - dang, has it really been 20 years?!) i couldnt ever bring myself to accept her as a 'great actress'. It didnt help that Im not into rom-coms and I am also a huge Crash Basher (mostly cuz I thought Munich and especially the directors cut of Kingdom Of Heaven shoulda won best picture mad.gif ). So I was somewhat baffled a couple years ago when she won best actress and just thought 'meh...whatever'. Other people have insisted to me that she did a great job in that movie. I guess based on her work here, she has come a long way. Guess I'll be chekcing out Blind Side now, with an open mind wink.gif

Its interesting a lot of people are already suddenly assertaining GRAVITY's place in movie history. I ought to catch it a few more times and give it time. right now, i can only think of one flaw in the story as I play the movie back in my mind, but i can let it slide.

Cant wait to see what Alfonso Cauron comes up with next. And this DP is the same guy that did cinematography for Tree of Life?!?!?! eek.gif wow...

TV: LG 47LH90
PLAYER: Panasonic DMP BD330
AVR: Denon 1612
Front R/L: Polk Audio Monitor 40 Series II
Center: Polk Audio CS1
Surround R/L: Yamaha NS-5290
Sub: Polk Audio PSW10
post #469 of 738 Old 11-24-2013, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 40
When will wb reissue gravity in Imax 3d...I saw it only once and sat thru the whole thing. Still no word from amazon on the bluray...
post #470 of 738 Old 11-25-2013, 11:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kascnef82 View Post

When will wb reissue gravity in Imax 3d...

IMAX theaters only book a limted number of movies per year, and there's a lot of competition from movie producers to get on those screens. While I wouldn't say that an IMAX re-release is impossible, it's not very likely right now either. There are too many other big movies out right now demanding time on those screens.

Perhaps Warner Bros. might give the movie another promotional push early next year before Oscar nominations are voted on?
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskie2000 View Post

kinda hoping this wins best picture and incentivises the studio to re-release it in 3d but in real IMAX (yes, i am one of those Lie-Max haters). how cool would that be?

Gravity was shot entirely in 2k digital. None of it was shot on film, much less IMAX film. It wouldn't benefit from a 15/70 upconversion. IMAX is rapidly phasing out those projectors anyway.
Scott Simonian likes this.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #471 of 738 Old 11-27-2013, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 210

Distress Call - Aningaaq

Details on this wonderful short film from the Hollywood Reporter:

During a pivotal scene in Gravity, Sandra Bullock's character Ryan Stone, trapped inside a Russian space capsule with little hope of survival, makes contact with a male voice speaking via radio in a foreign language. What unfolds on the other end of that fractured conversation, complete with a barking dog and a crying baby, is the subject of a short film by Jonas Cuaron, son of director Alfonso Cuaron, who co-wrote the screenplay for Warner Bros.' $500 million-grossing awards contender with his father. That seven-minute companion piece, titled Aningaaq, was financed by Warner Home Video, which initially envisioned it as a unique extra feature for Gravity's Blu-ray edition. But the stark, contemplative Aningaaq has developed a life of its own via festival screenings at Venice and Telluride. Now Warners has submitted it for Oscar consideration in the live-action short category; should it snag a nomination alongside its sure-bet blockbuster companion, they are poised to make Academy Awards history as the first feature and spinoff short drawn from the same material to be nominated together in the same year.

VPI Classic 2/Soundsmith Aida
Parks Audio Budgie Pre Amp - Budgie SUT - Wyred 4 Sound DAC2 DSDse
Pioneer SC85 - Bel Canto REF 500M
Klipsch Cornwall/Crites/Aletheia Audio - Klipsch RC64II - Klipsch SW115
Samsung PN64D8000 - OPPO BDP93
Klipsch Image Ones - Klipsch x11i
post #472 of 738 Old 01-10-2014, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
I finally got a chance to watch Gravity and here are my brief thoughts:

Despite it being guilty of breaking the laws of physics and taking massive liberties with aeronautical equipment for the purposes of storytelling, Gravity provides a gripping, heart stopping and thrilling experience that few films have managed to deliver.

Alfonso Cuarón's direction is incredible from a technical standpoint, but he could have used a little assistance in the storytelling department.

Fortunately, the cast featuring Sandra Bullock and George Clooney, are able to carry the story. While her career started off making audiences laugh in romantic comedies, Sandra Bullock has elevated herself as a premier actress among Hollywood's elite and will deservedly receive an Oscar nod for her tense and emotional performance in this movie. Clooney, on the other hand, displays his usual Clooney-ness that we've come to expect from him, while bearing a striking resemblance to Buzz Lightyear.

The real stars of the film, however, are the stellar cinematography and the thoughtful sound design and mix. Even though I'd love to write paragraphs about these three mind blowing technical feats of the production, I'll simply say that Gravity has at least 3 Oscars heading its way.

Flaws aside, Gravity's phenomenal use of suspense along with its stimulation of our auditory and visual senses, suck us so deep into the perils on screen that we become a part of it. I look forward to adding it to my collection not just to enjoy, but also to use as show off material for my home cinema.
sdurani and Will2007 like this.

David Budo
post #473 of 738 Old 01-10-2014, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 145
^^^Terrifically thoughtful, eloquent, and concise review, David. Thanks.
Dbuudo07 likes this.
post #474 of 738 Old 01-10-2014, 10:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I don't buy a lot of BD's, preferring to rent movies I'll probably only watch once, but I'll definitely be purchasing this one. High re-watch factor and amazing visuals & sound.
Dbuudo07 likes this.
post #475 of 738 Old 01-10-2014, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will2007 View Post

^^^Terrifically thoughtful, eloquent, and concise review, David. Thanks.

Thanks Will!

I can't wait for my copy to arrive! Those deep rich blacks on my Elite 150fd = Heaven!

David Budo
post #476 of 738 Old 01-10-2014, 10:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I don't buy a lot of BD's, preferring to rent movies I'll probably only watch once, but I'll definitely be purchasing this one. High re-watch factor and amazing visuals & sound.
Agreed.
A no-brainer purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbuudo07 View Post

I can't wait for my copy to arrive! Those deep rich blacks on my Elite 150fd = Heaven!
Nice display.cool.gif

post #477 of 738 Old 01-10-2014, 12:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbuudo07 View Post

Flaws aside, Gravity's phenomenal use of suspense along with its stimulation of our auditory and visual senses, suck us so deep into the perils on screen that we become a part of it. I look forward to adding it to my collection not just to enjoy, but also to use as show off material for my home cinema.

Well said! My daughter and I sat in the theater with our jaws agape from the time Gravity started until it ended. That's probably why we didn't notice the flaws you did, although I cannot question what you said. Gravity is one of the best if not the best film I have seen since last year's crop of Oscar contenders. The only film in this year's hopefuls that I thought was in a class with Gravity was David O. Russell's American Hustle.
post #478 of 738 Old 01-10-2014, 01:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Well said! My daughter and I sat in the theater with our jaws agape from the time Gravity started until it ended.
Gravity really pulls the audience in.tongue.gif
lordcloud and Dbuudo07 like this.

post #479 of 738 Old 01-10-2014, 03:12 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:

You're my idol.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #480 of 738 Old 01-12-2014, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Nice display.cool.gif

It will only be replaced when OLED's pass its performance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Well said! My daughter and I sat in the theater with our jaws agape from the time Gravity started until it ended. That's probably why we didn't notice the flaws you did, although I cannot question what you said. Gravity is one of the best if not the best film I have seen since last year's crop of Oscar contenders. The only film in this year's hopefuls that I thought was in a class with Gravity was David O. Russell's American Hustle.

Thanks mate! I really want to see American Hustle.
Quote:

Genius! cool.gif

David Budo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page