Alfonso Cuaron's new film ("Gravity") to feature 17 minute opening long take - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 738 Old 02-27-2014, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Sorry - this has prob already been answered in this thread. I have a pretty nice Panny VT50 65" plasma with 3D.
Should i watch this movie for the first time in 3D or not?

thanks

B&W 802 Diamond mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center, B&W 804 Diamond surrounds, Parasound HALO A 51, Krell KAV-300i , Integra DHC-80.3 pre-pro, two JL Audio Fathom f113 subs, Panasonic TC-P65VT50 65" plasma
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 738 Old 02-27-2014, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

...Oh and for the record, I think she's simply gorgeous at almost 50. wink.gif

She will win the Oscar for best body. She may not be as "toned" as she was 20 year ago but she works for me. The number of women that would die for a body like Bullock's at 50 is incalculable. Seriously. Get new glasses. If you are poor, eat lots of carrots. The woman is amazing. And no your opinion doesn't count. I have principals; I don't compromise.

wink.gif
gwsat likes this.
post #543 of 738 Old 02-27-2014, 03:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

I thought it was cool and for sure a movie for me but all over the internet it was OMGAH GRAVITY TEH BEST EVAR and then I watched it and saw it was way different than "they" said. I bet the IMAX was where it needed to be seen given the scale.

I didn't see in Gravity in IMAX but I did see it in the largest non IMAX theater in a large cineplex and was blown away, as was my daughter. We sat watching with our jaws agape from beginning to end. Thus, I am inclined to agree with your analysis that the film demands a huge screen in a darkened theater to provide its full impact.
post #544 of 738 Old 02-27-2014, 06:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by bao01 View Post

Sorry - this has prob already been answered in this thread. I have a pretty nice Panny VT50 65" plasma with 3D.
The Panny is indeed a fine TV for 3D.
FWIW, I would watch 3D material from a position very close to the screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

She will win the Oscar for best body. She may not be as "toned" as she was 20 year ago but she works for me. The number of women that would die for a body like Bullock's at 50 is incalculable. Seriously. Get new glasses. If you are poor, eat lots of carrots. The woman is amazing. And no your opinion doesn't count. I have principals; I don't compromise.
Indeed she does have a fine body, in spite of looking a little weird in the face these days.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #545 of 738 Old 02-27-2014, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

I watched this the other night and enjoyed it but didn't think "wow, what a great movie". The visuals were incredible but once Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Cloney left/died I knew they wouldn't kill off Bullock so it was just a matter of watching what she did to get back to earth. I would have been most impressed if she would have drowned at the end because she couldn't get out of her suit.

larry
The other thing too is,
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
The way things were set up, Clooney's death was completely unnecessary There was zero tension on the line, so no reason for him to let go.
post #546 of 738 Old 02-27-2014, 06:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

The Panny is indeed a fine TV for 3D.
FWIW, I would watch 3D material from a position very close to the screen.
Indeed she does have a fine body, in spite of looking a little weird in the face these days.

Yep. Surgical alterations, which a huge percentage of aging Hollywood beauties seem to undertake these days, often have unexpected results. That said, I agree with you that Bullock was sensational in Speed. so good in fact, her performance made her a star.
post #547 of 738 Old 02-27-2014, 10:32 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I didn't see in Gravity in IMAX but I did see it in the largest non IMAX theater in a large cineplex and was blown away, as was my daughter. We sat watching with our jaws agape from beginning to end. Thus, I am inclined to agree with your analysis that the film demands a huge screen in a darkened theater to provide its full impact.

I agree and it was fantastic. I watched it the other night and it kept me on the edge of my seat. I really enjoyed this one and will definitely have replay value for me at home.

Frank
post #548 of 738 Old 02-28-2014, 12:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post

The other thing too is,
The way things were set up, Clooney's death was completely unnecessary There was zero tension on the line, so no reason for him to let go.
The story was really about HER trials and tribulations, not GC.

Quote:

Yep. Surgical alterations, which a huge percentage of aging Hollywood beauties seem to undertake these days, often have unexpected results. That said, I agree with you that Bullock was sensational in Speed. so good in fact, her performance made her a star.
She was cute as a bug....who DIDN'T fall in love with her by the end of the movie?

post #549 of 738 Old 02-28-2014, 04:21 AM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

I watched this the other night and enjoyed it but didn't think "wow, what a great movie". The visuals were incredible but once Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Cloney left/died I knew they wouldn't kill off Bullock so it was just a matter of watching what she did to get back to earth. I would have been most impressed if she would have drowned at the end because she couldn't get out of her suit.

larry
The other thing too is,
That's one thing that sort of confused me, too. Once you stop, you're stopped.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #550 of 738 Old 02-28-2014, 05:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 689
Quote:

The other thing too is,

That was the one thing that really bothered me. I could accept the other stuff, Bullock's hair not floating in zero-gee, satellite debris moving east to west, etc. No biggie. And if they felt... Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
...that Clooney had to die for dramatic impact, they could easily have found another way to do it, like he gets dislodged by a piece of debris, or loses his handgrip while twisting with enough inertia to start moving -- perhaps to secure her position -- and just floats off. She can't go after him. Same result, better physics.
post #551 of 738 Old 02-28-2014, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Do you have to make things so complicated?

Why does Wile E. Coyote make the same mistakes over and over again? After all of these years I can't accept he never learns. Do the writers think we are stupid?

And what the h*ll was Pandora thinking?

wink.gif
post #552 of 738 Old 02-28-2014, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

That was the one thing that really bothered me. I could accept the other stuff, Bullock's hair not floating in zero-gee, satellite debris moving east to west, etc. No biggie. And if they felt... Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
...that Clooney had to die for dramatic impact, they could easily have found another way to do it, like he gets dislodged by a piece of debris, or loses his handgrip while twisting with enough inertia to start moving -- perhaps to secure her position -- and just floats off. She can't go after him. Same result, better physics.
Totally agree. The writers just needed to put a little more thought into it, and it would have made the situation much more plausible.
post #553 of 738 Old 02-28-2014, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm not disputing that. I'm just saying that the writers got the physics wrong in a way that made me roll my eyes.
post #554 of 738 Old 02-28-2014, 08:34 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 508
Quote:

thanks

I'm debating which way to watch this one first as well. I keep reading the "S" word to describe the 3d, subtle. I cant stand subtle, conservative 3d in general, so I might just go the 2d route first watch and take advantage of the better contrast on my JVC (3d duties go to my benq which does not have near the black level).......not sure yet.

Either way, the audio sound like the stand out technical aspect of this one between the two and that is what I am looking forward to most from the technical side. cool.gif

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #555 of 738 Old 02-28-2014, 09:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Do you have to make things so complicated?
I am the Master of Complications.

Quote:
Why does Wile E. Coyote make the same mistakes over and over again? After all of these years I can't accept he never learns. Do the writers think we are stupid?
You have to ask?

Quote:
And what the h*ll was Pandora thinking?
Sorry, I'm not awake yet....confused.gif

Quote:

I'm not disputing that. I'm just saying that the writers got the physics wrong in a way that made me roll my eyes.
FWIW, I was too caught up in the story to critique the science.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

I'm debating which way to watch this one first as well. I keep reading the "S" word to describe the 3d, subtle. I cant stand subtle, conservative 3d in general, so I might just go the 2d route first watch and take advantage of the better contrast on my JVC (3d duties go to my benq which does not have near the black level).......not sure yet.

Either way, the audio sound like the stand out technical aspect of this one between the two and that is what I am looking forward to most from the technical side. cool.gif
I would be interested in hearing what you have to say about the application of 3D after you see both presentations in your HT.

post #556 of 738 Old 02-28-2014, 09:45 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 508
Quote:

I would be interested in hearing what you have to say about the application of 3D after you see both presentations in your HT.

Sounds good. I will chime in with my humble opinion hopefully tonight.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #557 of 738 Old 02-28-2014, 09:47 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Boring?

Seriously? Have you seen any advertisements for Gravity?
Yes.

No exploding cities
No one yelling while they shoot a gun (does the yelling make the bullets go faster in movies?)
No aliens
No slo-mo flipping cars
No giant robots
No boobs
No earth in jeopardy
No witty one-liners
No real spaceships (I only saw a space shuttle)

The only things I saw from the trailers are the chances for good acting, a decent script, and a worthwhile story that you may have to pay attention to. Who cares about that? Today I represent the 99% of the movie going population.
Toe and darthrsg like this.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #558 of 738 Old 02-28-2014, 09:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

FWIW, I was too caught up in the story to critique the science.

Yeah, that was what I thought too. Although I tend to be nerdy in a number of areas, space is not one of them. Gravity was so incredibly tense and beautifully filmed, I was too caught up in the film to consider whether the way Bullock's hair looked in space was consistent with the science. If that makes me a clueless Philistine I'll just have to live with it.
post #559 of 738 Old 02-28-2014, 10:02 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 737 Post(s)
Liked: 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

Yes.

No exploding cities
No one yelling while they shoot a gun (does the yelling make the bullets go faster in movies?)
No aliens
No slo-mo flipping cars
No giant robots
No boobs
No earth in jeopardy
No witty one-liners
No real spaceships (I only saw a space shuttle)

The only things I saw from the trailers are the chances for good acting, a decent script, and a worthwhile story that you may have to pay attention to. Who cares about that? Today I represent the 99% of the movie going population.

S**t. You got me there.

Ppfffffff.... hmmm....crap.

Well.... I think I'll go watch Demolition Man now.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #560 of 738 Old 02-28-2014, 10:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

In the past, if i was really excited about a sci-fi or action movie, i would watch in 2D first on the panny VT50 65" plasma because i think the colors and the sharpness of the TV is out of this world - spectacular. With the glasses, the colors and sharpness don't seem as good. But with Gravity i'm torn because I've heard it is the best 3D since sliced bread so maybe i should do 3D first. If it's just "subtle" 3D then for first viewing, 2D seems the way to go.

very excited about this movie but can't make up my mind
tonight is the night

sigh ...

B&W 802 Diamond mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center, B&W 804 Diamond surrounds, Parasound HALO A 51, Krell KAV-300i , Integra DHC-80.3 pre-pro, two JL Audio Fathom f113 subs, Panasonic TC-P65VT50 65" plasma
post #561 of 738 Old 02-28-2014, 10:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

With the glasses, the colors and sharpness don't seem as good.
That always seems to be the case.

This kinda works in Gravity because it takes place in space where light is limited anyway.

post #562 of 738 Old 02-28-2014, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

ok - i am leaning 3D first then
also, i guess i could do 2D first but sit very close but i'm already pretty close - around 7.5 ft away from 65" plasma

post #563 of 738 Old 02-28-2014, 10:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

ok - i am leaning 3D first then
also, i guess i could do 2D first but sit very close but i'm already pretty close - around 7.5 ft away from 65" plasma
7.5 is probably about right for the 3D IMO.

post #564 of 738 Old 02-28-2014, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If it's just "subtle" 3D then for first viewing, 2D seems the way to go.

tonight is the night

sigh ...

I'd go 3D, that way you'll get the full impact of the movie the first time around. I think you'll regret it if you don't.
post #565 of 738 Old 02-28-2014, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:

In the past, if i was really excited about a sci-fi or action movie, i would watch in 2D first on the panny VT50 65" plasma because i think the colors and the sharpness of the TV is out of this world - spectacular. With the glasses, the colors and sharpness don't seem as good. But with Gravity i'm torn because I've heard it is the best 3D since sliced bread so maybe i should do 3D first. If it's just "subtle" 3D then for first viewing, 2D seems the way to go.

tonight is the night

sigh ...

Well if it helps at all - a real astronaut was quoted saying while many things about this movie are almost precisely accurate (like the EVA) he said the images of earth were in fact too sharp and detailed compared to what he saw personally.
Quote:
The movie does an outstanding job of capturing what it is like to do a spacewalk – much better than any previous sci fi film. Having done three spacewalks myself, I can tell you – this is legit. The visual impact of having nothing but the glass of your helmet between you and the Earth is captured very well. (Although the Earth is a bit more sharp and vivid in the movie than the real thing. Plus there is almost always an interesting land-mass to look at when in reality you spend most of your time looking down at a less-interesting ocean view.) Also, the movement and physicality of doing a spacewalk is rendered in a very accurate manner. The ease of starting a motion and the difficulty of stopping it in the vacuum of space is captured accurately in many scenes.

-- Garrett Reisman, Former NASA Astronaut

Maybe a little softening from the 3D is more realistic in some ways. wink.gif

50" Samsung Plasma HDTV | Networked Yamaha RX-V573 7.1 AV | BIC DV-32CLR Center | JBL 2600 Mains | Fluance AVBP2 Bi-Pole Surrounds on Soundcast SCS-100 wireless surround | Onkyo SKC-530 Sub | Networked Sony BDP-S590 

post #566 of 738 Old 02-28-2014, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 940
Quote:

Yeah, that was what I thought too. Although I tend to be nerdy in a number of areas, space is not one of them. Gravity was so incredibly tense and beautifully filmed, I was too caught up in the film to consider whether the way Bullock's hair looked in space was consistent with the science. If that makes me a clueless Philistine I'll just have to live with it.

Indeed. I've seen my wife use enough hairspray that zero g would make zero difference.
post #567 of 738 Old 02-28-2014, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Bullock's hair wasn't the problem, though. It was something else crucial to the plot and very much a focus of it in a particular scene.
post #568 of 738 Old 02-28-2014, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

The "controversial" scene. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

gravity-1_zps29535507.jpg

clooney_zps13dc1846.png
post #569 of 738 Old 02-28-2014, 02:16 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 737 Post(s)
Liked: 935
Maybe ...ALIEN tractor beam technology?!?!

eek.gif

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #570 of 738 Old 02-28-2014, 02:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The "controversial" scene. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

gravity-1_zps29535507.jpg

clooney_zps13dc1846.png
What exactly is "controversial" here?confused.gif

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page