Alfonso Cuaron's new film ("Gravity") to feature 17 minute opening long take - Page 7 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 738 Old 10-06-2013, 02:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

:
glad you enjoyed it.
agree with your assessment

anyone notice how much clooney sounds and looks like buzz lightyear in some scenes?

Would have been cooler to see a Buzz Lightyear doll go floating by during that one scene than a Marty the Martian (or whoever that WB character was).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 738 Old 10-06-2013, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Would have been cooler to see a Buzz Lightyear doll go floating by during that one scene than a Marty the Martian (or whoever that WB character was).

spoiler tags!!!!! wink.giftongue.gif
post #183 of 738 Old 10-06-2013, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Just caught a RealD/Atmos screening, and I must say this is the first movie I've seen in the theater in a long while that I truly felt was worth watching in the theatre. I normally hate 3D but gave in after seeing all the reviews. As others have noted, the story is as simple as it gets, so it's all about the experience and immersion into the characters' plight and thought processes. Can't say enough about this movie as something to be experienced. Funny thing is I really don't think I'll be picking up the Bluray when it comes out since I just know my little HT simply won't be able to replicate the experience.
post #184 of 738 Old 10-06-2013, 05:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 432
It's interesting: I'm reading both that they tried to do the "no sound in space thing" while also reading reviews (and some audience reports) that it's an incredibly loud movie.

What's the deal? Are there ear-blasting moments in this flick or something?
post #185 of 738 Old 10-06-2013, 06:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

It's interesting: I'm reading both that they tried to do the "no sound in space thing" while also reading reviews (and some audience reports) that it's an incredibly loud movie.

It's the music, the entire sound design. It does get very loud at times (and I saw it in IMAX, which is a steroids-infused sountrack). At the right times. You'll see (or hear...). It's all about creating a mood, an immersive experience. I don't want to say more for fear of giving something away. Dude, trust me. smile.gif
post #186 of 738 Old 10-06-2013, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

Not at all. Only the first scene is a bit loud (5-10 secs) and maybe towards the end, but the rest is really subtle.
post #187 of 738 Old 10-06-2013, 06:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanpino View Post

Not at all. Only the first scene is a bit loud (5-10 secs) and maybe towards the end, but the rest is really subtle.

Wait, did we see the same movie? confused.gif

I don't want to mislead anybody. There are several scenes, not just the first one you reference, that feature a big, honkin' wall o' sonic energy that comes at you in sternum shuddering waves. They are entirely planned, and appropriate. The LFE buffs here at AVS, and they are legion, will really appreciate this film.
post #188 of 738 Old 10-06-2013, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't want to mislead anybody. There are several scenes, not just the first one you reference, that feature a big, honkin' wall o' sonic energy that comes at you in sternum shuddering waves. They are entirely planned, and appropriate. The LFE buffs here at AVS, and they are legion, will really appreciate this film.

I'm just referring to scenes when it gets louder than usual.
post #189 of 738 Old 10-06-2013, 06:50 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

This thread has completely changed my mind regarding seeing this in a real theater.smile.gif
The good reviews from guys whose opinions I trust makes this one of those "MUST SEE" films (right after I see Rush).

+1

This will be a rare go out and see a movie event for me.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #190 of 738 Old 10-06-2013, 06:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Quote:

I'm glad you mentioned that. I'm pretty protective of my hearing these days and I know the IMAX theaters especially can get punishingly loud. Sounds like this movie has moments using full audio sound level resources.
post #191 of 738 Old 10-07-2013, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 81
There are these tweets from this guy Neil deGrasse Tyson's Twitter feed that's been going viral about this movie. It's a list of mysteries and questions...a few I thought were interesting and worth asking:

Mysteries of #Gravity: Why Bullock, a medical Doctor, is servicing the Hubble Space Telescope.

Mysteries of #Gravity: Astronaut Clooney informs medical doctor Bullock what happens medically during oxygen deprivation.

Mysteries of #Gravity: Why Bullock's hair, in otherwise convincing zero-G scenes, did not float freely on her head.

The film #Gravity should be renamed "Zero Gravity"

There are a bunch more from his feed if you want to read more.
post #192 of 738 Old 10-07-2013, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by simontan View Post

Just caught a RealD/Atmos screening, and I must say this is the first movie I've seen in the theater in a long while that I truly felt was worth watching in the theatre. I normally hate 3D but gave in after seeing all the reviews. As others have noted, the story is as simple as it gets, so it's all about the experience and immersion into the characters' plight and thought processes. Can't say enough about this movie as something to be experienced. Funny thing is I really don't think I'll be picking up the Bluray when it comes out since I just know my little HT simply won't be able to replicate the experience.

My daughter and I saw at an IMAX 3D theater on Saturday, she left on a trip to Chicago Sunday and saw this film again at a 3D Dolby Atmos theater. Although she thought the IMAX sound was great she was totally wowed by the immersion in the Atmos soundfield. A guy sitting next to her was leaning forward out of his seat and exclaiming 'Jesus'! wink.gif

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #193 of 738 Old 10-07-2013, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

There are these tweets from this guy Neil deGrasse Tyson's Twitter feed that's been going viral about this movie. It's a list of mysteries and questions...a few I thought were interesting and worth asking:

Mysteries of #Gravity: Why Bullock, a medical Doctor, is servicing the Hubble Space Telescope.

Mysteries of #Gravity: Astronaut Clooney informs medical doctor Bullock what happens medically during oxygen deprivation.

Mysteries of #Gravity: Why Bullock's hair, in otherwise convincing zero-G scenes, did not float freely on her head.

The film #Gravity should be renamed "Zero Gravity"

There are a bunch more from his feed if you want to read more.

See the film first and discover why "Astronaut Clooney" has to remind Dr. Bullock of what happens during oxygen deprivation. As for her hair, it's rather short. There are a number of reasons that could explain why her hair is not floating like it would underwater... It looks like this Mr. deGrasse Tyson is desperatley trying to tell us that Gravity is not that good, and full of flaws. Instead maybe he should have paid more attention to the actual film. ...But what else is new in socialmedialand? rolleyes.gif

I won't tell more about the movie, put your computer to sleep zoey and forget twitter, just go see this movie. smile.gif
post #194 of 738 Old 10-07-2013, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 79
The character development in this movie was awful. I simply did not care if either Clooney or Bullock died in the film, because I had no reason to. No emotional investment. The only attempt to add depth to Bullock's character was pure Hollywood cliche.

I'll stop beating a dead horse, the story was very thin, and was a total letdown compared to the fantastic cinematography.

Sound: My first experience with Dolby Atmos. Saw this in Regal RPX and it was hands down the best sound I've heard at the theater. I think this had more to do with the speakers used, which sounded very natural and did not exhibit the thin and shrill sound I'm used to hearing at a common theater, or the loud and strained/distorted sound at our local IMAX which plays movies at ear splitting levels. Atmos did have a very full 3D sound field.

3D: While well done in this movie, the image was still too dim. This was with a brand new digital projector. Also, there were numerous objects moving blurrily along in 3D that only served to break the immersion. Current technology in projectors and plasma can give a 2D image so much depth and punch that 3D is just a moot point. I guess that is just my stance on 3D in general, not the movie. I just don't see that it adds anything of value to the film.

TLDR: Beauty is only skin deep with this movie. Great cinematography and effects, but a very thin story with little suspense and practically no character development.

EDIT: deleted what I guess someone may consider a minor spoiler
post #195 of 738 Old 10-07-2013, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcdade View Post

The character development in this movie was awful. I simply did not care if either Clooney or Bullock died in the film, because I had no reason to. No emotional investment. The only attempt to add depth to Bullock's character was a cheesy cliche of the death of her daughter who we never see.

You might want to add spoiler tags for those who haven't seen it...

Regarding character development, they could have done it the cheesy way with flashbacks and all (standard Hollywood fare...), but fortunately they didn't! I think the emotional investment comes from the very situation the characters are put in.

Major spoiler below so be careful.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
as for her daughter, we don't need to know more. Ultimately it's her survival instinct that helps her, she was willing to die, having nobody to come back to. The cliché would have been to tell us exactly what happened to her daughter,etc. But imo that wasn't necessary at all. Do we always need to be told a detailed biography of the characters to relate to them? wink.gif
post #196 of 738 Old 10-07-2013, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

The character development in this movie was awful. I simply did not care if either Clooney or Bullock died in the film, because I had no reason to. No emotional investment. The only attempt to add depth to Bullock's character was a cheesy cliche of the death of her daughter who we never see.

I'll stop beating a dead horse, the story was very thin, and was a total letdown compared to the fantastic cinematography.

Sound: My first experience with Dolby Atmos. Saw this in Regal RPX and it was hands down the best sound I've heard at the theater. I think this had more to do with the speakers used, which sounded very natural and did not exhibit the thin and shrill sound I'm used to hearing at a common theater, or the loud and strained/distorted sound at our local IMAX which plays movies at ear splitting levels. Atmos did have a very full 3D sound field.

3D: While well done in this movie, the image was still too dim. This was with a brand new digital projector. Also, there were numerous objects moving blurrily along in 3D that only served to break the immersion. Current technology in projectors and plasma can give a 2D image so much depth and punch that 3D is just a moot point. I guess that is just my stance on 3D in general, not the movie. I just don't see that it adds anything of value to the film.

TLDR: Beauty is only skin deep with this movie. Great cinematography and effects, but a very thin story with little suspense and practically no character development.

It is a movie about survival. Thankfully there are no visual flashbacks. IMAX 3D is significantly different than the 3D Dolby Atmos version, but not in content. Because of the size of the screen and depending upon where one is sitting and the brightness factor, the image of IMAX can be overwhelming, almost filling one's visual field. With the use of 3D, there is a clear feeling of actually being there. The audio with Dolby Atmos is simply superb with discrete pin-point imaging all around the viewer, floating in space. This is one movie that benefits from seeing in two different formats, if one wants to see and hear the full picture. This may actually turn out to be the movie of the year.
post #197 of 738 Old 10-07-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fookoo_2010 View Post

It is a movie about survival. Thankfully there are no visual flashbacks. IMAX 3D is significantly different than the 3D Dolby Atmos version, but not in content. Because of the size of the screen and depending upon where one is sitting and the brightness factor, the image of IMAX can be overwhelming, almost filling one's visual field. With the use of 3D, there is a clear feeling of actually being there. The audio with Dolby Atmos is simply superb with discrete pin-point imaging all around the viewer, floating in space. This is one movie that benefits from seeing in two different formats, if one wants to see and hear the full picture. This may actually turn out to be the movie of the year.

Only if you're discussing technical merits. There's plenty of movies out there with great cinematography AND writing, acting, etc. etc. etc. This is a glorified tech demo. If you go into it with that expectation, you won't be disappointed.
post #198 of 738 Old 10-07-2013, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The character development in this movie was awful. I simply did not care if either Clooney or Bullock died in the film, because I had no reason to. No emotional investment. The only attempt to add depth to Bullock's character was pure Hollywood cliche.

What did you expect in a 90 min film? I think the intent of the film was to pull you in as if you were there with them. (it worked perfect). No need to know more about the characters than what was explained. I'm so glad of this. Could you imagine if they decided to use flashbacks eek.gif(would have ruined the film)
post #199 of 738 Old 10-07-2013, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:

Only if you're discussing technical merits. There's plenty of movies out there with great cinematography AND writing, acting, etc. etc. etc. This is a glorified tech demo. If you go into it with that expectation, you won't be disappointed.
I was afraid that was the case and it's starting to surface. That's exactly what I said earlier about how movies are getting more and more tech heavy like Oblivion, Elysium, MoS, etc. It's the big "in" thing now. any director now with no experience whatsoever in Sci-Fi or action can now use at his disposal all the latest tech tricks.

You see it with Life of Pi from Ang Lee and the trend is only getting more this way I see it. They're just showing off their visual tricks, along getting a big shot name actor(s) like Damon or Bullock and call it a day. Easy Hollywood formula
post #200 of 738 Old 10-07-2013, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Too bad that it didn't meet your expectations, but you are entitled to your own opinion which would be dramatically different from the line of customers that was wrapped around the building to see the movie.
post #201 of 738 Old 10-07-2013, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was afraid that was the case and it's starting to surface. That's exactly what I said earlier about how movies are getting more and more tech heavy like Oblivion, Elysium, MoS, etc. It's the big "in" thing now. any director now with no experience whatsoever in Sci-Fi or action can now use at his disposal all the latest tech tricks.

You see it with Life of Pi from Ang Lee and the trend is only getting more this way I see it. They're just showing off their visual tricks, along getting a big shot name actor(s) like Damon or Bullock and call it a day. Easy Hollywood formula

Are you serious?
post #202 of 738 Old 10-07-2013, 11:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 943
Quote:

I'm pretty protective of my hearing these days and I know the IMAX theaters especially can get punishingly loud. Sounds like this movie has moments using full audio sound level resources.
"Punishing" is right.
IMAX levels hurts my wife's ears and nearly mine as well.rolleyes.gif
We no longer go to IMAX presentations....

Swine are good people too.
post #203 of 738 Old 10-07-2013, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Either see the movie or don't. There is no point in reading critical comments by someone who hasn't seen the film.
post #204 of 738 Old 10-07-2013, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sandra Bullock gives an oscar worthy performance in Gravity. The cinematography and camera work in Gravity is at times breathtaking. Just see it.
post #205 of 738 Old 10-07-2013, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Interesting article at Discovery.com about how Gravity holds up to a former Shuttle and space station astronaut. This is for those of us who have seen the movie because there are spoilers. It seems that the movie holds up pretty well. smile.gif
Interview

Endowed from birth with the sweet gift of being easy to please
post #206 of 738 Old 10-07-2013, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

Zoey,

If you haven't seen the movie yet, do yourself a favor. Stop reading other people's take on the movie. Trust your gut instinct and if you feel intrigued about a movie, go in cold without seeing too many trailers and reading all the self-aggrandising blogs and forum posts. I avoided most of the discussion about the movie and all but the first official trailer, so I enjoyed the film a lot. Shut off your computer NOW, and go see the movie before you read anymore about the movie. Go to an classic 3D IMAX or a Real D w/ Dolby Atmos presentation. This movie deserves nothing less.
Dbuudo07 likes this.
post #207 of 738 Old 10-07-2013, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Quote:

The film #Gravity should be renamed "Zero Gravity"[/B]

Strictly speaking, objects in orbit are still subject to gravity. If they weren't, they'd go flying off into space instead of remaining in orbit. It's just that they're in free fall in the same orbit.
Dbuudo07 likes this.
post #208 of 738 Old 10-07-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanpino View Post

What did you expect in a 90 min film? I think the intent of the film was to pull you in as if you were there with them. (it worked perfect). No need to know more about the characters than what was explained. I'm so glad of this. Could you imagine if they decided to use flashbacks eek.gif(would have ruined the film)

I expected a film with an interesting story and characters at its core. The effects should be there to supplement the story and create immersion. What I got was the complete opposite. It's a decent popcorn flick, nothing more.
bulls likes this.
post #209 of 738 Old 10-07-2013, 01:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I expected a film with an interesting story and characters at its core. The effects should be there to supplement the story and create immersion. What I got was the complete opposite. It's a decent popcorn flick, nothing more.

So you have said. Oddly enough, I had the exact opposite reaction. The characters were quite well developed enough for me to understand their emotions and motivations, and to empathize with their situation. I require nothing more in a 90 minute film. The tension was often thick enough to cut with a knife, and I still have my wife's fingernail marks on my wrist as evidence. This movie is far, far more than a popcorn flick.

The metadata on Rotten Tomatoes would concur. 98% positive overall and a 90% positive audience rating. Popcorn flicks seldom rate so highly. And then there's the box-office: surpassed their expectations and the highest grossing October release of all time.
post #210 of 738 Old 10-07-2013, 02:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 943
Quote:

The metadata on Rotten Tomatoes would concur. 98% positive overall and a 90% positive audience rating. Popcorn flicks seldom rate so highly.
Relying on RT scores is the quickest way to land in Movie Purgatory....

Swine are good people too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page