Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 59 Old 05-02-2012, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 688
Quote:

The status of several upcoming Paramount films, including the continuation of a quotable classic, received an update when studio president Adam Goodman spoke to the Hollywood press earlier this week.

Perhaps the biggest revelation came with the news that we'll see a full-fledged sequel to 1986's Top Gun sooner rather than later. Rumors of Maverick's return the to the skies have been bandied about Hollywood for several years but with Goodman's confirmation that Tom Cruise, producer Jerry Bruckheimer and original director Tony Scott were all back on board and ready to go, it looks like we'll finally see a Top Gun 2 before we see another Mission: Impossible film. Surprising, given that Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol was not only the highest grossing picture in the long-running spy series but also the biggest moneymaker of Cruise's long career.

Goodman also spoke about the next Jack Ryan film, which in 2013 places Star Trek's Chris Pine in the role of Tom Clancy's most famous CIA operative, a character previously inhabited by the likes of Alec Baldwin, Harrison Ford and Ben Affleck.

Closing out his statements, Goodman also confirmed that Shia LeBeouf would not be returning for Michael Bay's Transformers 4 and that Darren Aronofsky's $125 million biblical epic, Noah, would star Russell Crowe and Jennifer Connelly. Both films will see release in 2014.

http://news.directv.com/2012/04/30/t...eed-for-speed/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 Old 05-02-2012, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Top gun was a product of the 80s, I doubt a sequel would work this day and age.

Top Gun really had perfect timing. It wouldnt have worked in the 70s or the 90s.

I want my grain region free.
post #3 of 59 Old 05-02-2012, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

This could work if they play the Iron Eagle crossover card and bring back Chappy.

post #4 of 59 Old 05-02-2012, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 288

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #5 of 59 Old 05-02-2012, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post

Top gun was a product of the 80s, I doubt a sequel would work this day and age.

Top Gun really had perfect timing. It wouldnt have worked in the 70s or the 90s.

But maybe Bruckeimer and Co. will find out how to make it relevant again? It won't be another 80s Top Gun that's for sure, it will be adapted to our time. First of all they can't fly F-14s anymore (which is a shame cause I absolutely love this jet!) ...I bet Tom Cruise is now an instructor and somehow he will have to step into the action one more time or something like that... As long as they can give us great dogfights and a few hot chicks
post #6 of 59 Old 05-02-2012, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Oh wow...

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #7 of 59 Old 05-02-2012, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

obviously I don't see Kelly McGillis in the sequel... But I'm sure Tom Cruise will pull it off. To Kelly's credit though, I saw some recent photos and interviews and believe it or not she looked good. She seems happy in her life and her choices (the career ones at least...).
post #8 of 59 Old 05-02-2012, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 139
Gen. Kenobi that set of photos really shocked me. Nice.
post #9 of 59 Old 05-02-2012, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

obviously I don't see Kelly McGillis in the sequel... But I'm sure Tom Cruise will pull it off. To Kelly's credit though, I saw some recent photos and interviews and believe it or not she looked good. She seems happy in her life and her choices.

I just saw her in The Innkeepers and was shocked... good grief the years have not been kind.

I think this could have potential but if they run trailers with "highway to the danger zone" I'm out.

My Rig

post #10 of 59 Old 05-02-2012, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

I just saw her in The Innkeepers and was shocked... good grief the years have not been kind.

I haven't seen The Innkeepers. Though she has had alcohol problems over the years, she ran through some tough times. I'm still glad she's still around even if movies have not been her top priority.

Quote:

I think this could have potential but if they run trailers with "highway to the danger zone" I'm out.

lol where is Kenny Loggins when you need him
post #11 of 59 Old 05-02-2012, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
The only real issue I have is that back in the '80s, the Cold War Era was still fresh, the Soviet's were a threat, and so much was unknown (as far as the public is concerned) about MIGs, they were their own scary-entity themselves.

Nowadays, who is our real threat? China? North Korea? Neither of them have any tech even close to rivaling ours, let alone how close the US and Soviets were back in the day. On top of that...considering our tech advances...'dogfights' are almost non-existent anymore. In the original, the Soviet MIGs were using "Exocet missiles capable of being fired more than 100-miles from their target." Besides the fact the Russians/Soviets never used them (total side note to the movie), today's tech is so far beyond this for the US fighters, I'm struggling to come up with the excuses they will use to include dogfights.

On top of all that...with the massive shift to drone-based fighters, unless Cruise is instructing the video-game jockeys, I'm finding it hard to determine when and where Maverick's skills will come into play.

All that said...I will happily go see it with all those guys on board! Maybe Val can lose a few pounds and bring back the Iceman!!!

Big Dumb Mammal
post #12 of 59 Old 05-02-2012, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Even with no Red Scary it could still be combat training related or like I said bring Chappy over and go bust some prisoners out.

post #13 of 59 Old 05-02-2012, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdog35 View Post

All that said...I will happily go see it with all those guys on board! Maybe Val can lose a few pounds and bring back the Iceman!!!

+1.

Speaking of Val... He already did lose quite a few...

post #14 of 59 Old 05-02-2012, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

+1.

Speaking of Val... He already did lose quite a few...

His neck still looks like Kilmer the Hutt.

My Rig

post #15 of 59 Old 05-02-2012, 10:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
D.A. and Noah?
WTF?!?

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #16 of 59 Old 05-03-2012, 06:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

His neck still looks like Kilmer the Hutt.

Lol i like that

Frank

post #17 of 59 Old 05-03-2012, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

D.A. and Noah?
WTF?!?

But it has Russell Crowe, Jennifer Connelly, and Jennifer Connelly. I've also heard that Jennifer Connelly would be in that film. ...I'm in!
post #18 of 59 Old 05-03-2012, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

D.A. and Noah?
WTF?!?

Exactly. Top Gun 2, Noah and the Lost Ark, Transformers 4 and another Jack Ryan reboot! Gad! I think I'll finally stop going to the movies.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #19 of 59 Old 05-03-2012, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Dude(s)!!!! You guys posting the pics are killing me! WOWWWWWW!!!!!

Generally speaking, Top Gun was a one and done phenomenon that ranks up there with Berlins "Take my breath away". It was a moment in time (80's kid here) that's nice to revisit every once in a while but can't be relived. However, a "fighter pilot" movie with a whole different theme and concept might work and then bring Cruise and McGillis in as a surprise cameo kind of thing as their Top Gun characters might be fun.

Iceman would be tricky though. Looking at the pic above, why do I see him in an open top bi-plane with that hair flying back?! LOL!

WOWWWWW!
post #20 of 59 Old 05-03-2012, 10:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 280
So, in this one Cruise will sit behind a console half a world away and pilot a drone that drops bombs on Afghani caves? Wow, that sounds so exciting!

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #21 of 59 Old 05-03-2012, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I suspect the story line would involve Cruise as the instructor and young new hot shots as the main characters (likely with a young girl like the one from Hunger Games in a main role). I'd also expect some out of the blue air combat situation where Cruise would have to lead the kids in some epic air battle.

These things are too predictable.
post #22 of 59 Old 05-03-2012, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdog35 View Post

On top of that...considering our tech advances...'dogfights' are almost non-existent anymore. In the original, the Soviet MIGs were using "Exocet missiles capable of being fired more than 100-miles from their target." Besides the fact the Russians/Soviets never used them (total side note to the movie), today's tech is so far beyond this for the US fighters, I'm struggling to come up with the excuses they will use to include dogfights.

This one is easy, just let the same instructors that forgot to tell Maverick that his F14 is capable of engaging targets at 100 nm and there is no need flying into a hornet nest... Train the new guys in TG2. That would give us enough dogfights.

If I were Ice, I would be pretty upset at Mavericks incompetence.

post #23 of 59 Old 05-03-2012, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

In the original the 'soviet migs' were F-5s. So as far as technical accuracy goes, we know they allow themselves a few liberties, and sometimes for obvious reasons. ...Again, I'm SURE the writers will come up with something that justifies the existence and relevance of a second movie. They have to live up to a movie that has become a classic, and not just because of its cheesy/corny moments, but it had spectacular action. Tom Cruise will produce, and the first Top Gun is the film that made him a superstar. Somehow I guess he and the producers, starting with Jerry Bruckeimer, are well aware of what people liked or disliked in the original film, and I guess if they want to make a TG2, maybe they don't go with the idea of screwing it up. And since the Navy will be involved once again, I'm confident they don't want to show off a guy behind a screen playing with a drone... Besides, the film is not even written yet, so I'll wait before saying it sucks.

@Movieswede: yes Top Gun was a product of the 80s, but it was deliberately made that way (the music for starters). If a new one is done in 2012/2013, Bruckeimer, Cruise and the rest of them will probably make sure they make a "product of the 2010s". And maybe they won't play volley this time, maybe we'll get UFC-style spectacle with chicks in mud or something
post #24 of 59 Old 05-03-2012, 12:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 550
As long as it's not a CGI crap-fest, I'd be willing to give the sequel a try. Say what you will about Top Gun and Iron Eagle, but at least they used real planes (most of the time).

Sanjay
post #25 of 59 Old 05-03-2012, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

As long as it's not a CGI crap-fest, I'd be willing to give the sequel a try. Say what you will about Top Gun and Iron Eagle, but at least they used real planes (most of the time).

These are really the only movies about aircraft ever.

post #26 of 59 Old 05-03-2012, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

I was surprised how much models were used in Top Gun. But Top Gun has stand the test of time much better then Iron Eagle. There is no movie to this date that has captured modern arial combat better.

But here is an idea for Top Gun 2. Maverick is flying a cargo plane with rubber dog **** from Hong Kong when he gets a new offer after heroic saving the plane from an arial attack of a Su-28.

post #27 of 59 Old 05-03-2012, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

@Movieswede: yes Top Gun was a product of the 80s, but it was deliberately made that way (the music for starters). If a new one is done in 2012/2013, Bruckeimer, Cruise and the rest of them will probably make sure they make a "product of the 2010s". And maybe they won't play volley this time, maybe we'll get UFC-style spectacle with chicks in mud or something

ooooo and Arcade Fire!

post #28 of 59 Old 05-03-2012, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post

But here is an idea for Top Gun 2. Maverick is flying a cargo plane with rubber dog **** from Hong Kong when he gets a new offer after heroic saving the plane from an arial attack of a Su-28.

Viper gets kidnapped by North Korea for having epic an mustache. Maverick steals a jet and goes to bust him out with an iPod strapped to his knee.

post #29 of 59 Old 05-03-2012, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Tom Cruise is 50 now, only 3 years younger than Tom Skerrit when he played "Viper", the Commanding Oficer of Fighter Weapons School.

If Cruise takes any other role than the FWS commanding officer, it would be a case of an old man playing a young role.

Kelly McGillis was and is five years older than Cruise. She probably won't be in the sequel.

Allow me to point out that FWS still exists, and it is presently attended by F/A-18 pilots. The Navy still puts pilots in fighters and attack jets, they use a lot fewer drones than the Air Force. However, almost all the F/A-18's are single seater aircraft.

Gary McCoy
The United States Constitution ©1791. All Rights Reserved.

post #30 of 59 Old 05-03-2012, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Viper gets kidnapped by North Korea for having epic an mustache. Maverick steals a jet and goes to bust him out with an iPod strapped to his knee.

Wouldnt it be better if its Iran, because they still use the F14.

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page