Beasts of the Southern Wild - AVS Forum
Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion > Beasts of the Southern Wild
lwright84's Avatar lwright84 04:35 PM 05-02-2012
The most praised film from Sundance is getting a theatrical release. Here is the trailer.



oink's Avatar oink 11:05 AM 05-03-2012
This looks very interesting...will watch the BD when it comes.
lwright84's Avatar lwright84 12:30 PM 05-03-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

This looks very interesting...will watch the BD when it comes.

Agreed! I don't want to label it, but I get a very upbeat 'Where The Wild Things Are' vibe from it, combined with more of a "modern fantasy / fairy tale" aesthetic. I think it looks very promising, and the fantastic buzz out of Sundance -- where it won the Grand Jury Prize -- has only further reinforced my desire to see it.
oink's Avatar oink 12:43 PM 05-03-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 View Post

I get a very upbeat 'Where The Wild Things Are' vibe from it, combined with more of a "modern fantasy / fairy tale" aesthetic.

Exactly what I got....
Chewbacco's Avatar Chewbacco 06:31 PM 12-25-2012
This was so amazingly good.
darthrsg's Avatar darthrsg 08:06 AM 01-11-2013
Half way through and it's boring to me. Although I think I'm growing webbed feet watching it.

I must be missing something about it. I live in the south and it feels like a documentary with the conditions and all.

It's possible my one and a half year old daughter has my heart and I can't give any to this little girl.
darthrsg's Avatar darthrsg 08:47 AM 01-11-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Half way through and it's boring to me. Although I think I'm growing webbed feet watching it.

I must be missing something about it. I live in the south and it feels like a documentary with the conditions and all.

It's possible my one and a half year old daughter has my heart and I can't give any to this little girl.
Just finished. The moral of the story is chicken biscuits.
Shaded Dogfood's Avatar Shaded Dogfood 12:24 PM 01-11-2013
Normally this sort of film is right up my alley and I didn't enjoy it all that much either.
oink's Avatar oink 01:04 PM 01-11-2013
Interesting....I haven't seen it yet.

FWIW, this movie did get a BP nomination.
darthrsg's Avatar darthrsg 01:05 PM 01-11-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood View Post

Normally this sort of film is right up my alley and I didn't enjoy it all that much either.
I'm racking my brain now for similar movies I've loved.
KOA's Avatar KOA 02:14 PM 01-11-2013
So I'm assuming no babies get eaten by dingos?
darthrsg's Avatar darthrsg 03:06 PM 01-11-2013
Chicken biscuits are key to cohesion.
lordcloud's Avatar lordcloud 06:43 PM 01-14-2013
I didn't love this movie at all. I was impressed by the performances, but not moved by the story or awed by it in general. Not understanding why people love it the way they do.
darthrsg's Avatar darthrsg 07:10 AM 01-15-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordcloud View Post

I didn't love this movie at all. I was impressed by the performances, but not moved by the story or awed by it in general. Not understanding why people love it the way they do.
+1 but the general response (on internet) to not liking it is that you are a heartless bastard and racist. smile.gif
fjames's Avatar fjames 04:02 PM 01-15-2013
It didn't live up to the hype, but I enjoyed it for what it was. I didn't relate to the girl so much as the father and the tribe. The girl functioned as a window into their world for me, so I passed through that and found I liked what was on the other side.

I was into it enough that I was hoping she would have stayed at the fish (little pun there) joint. To me it felt like she had found a home. But I guess that was the point - she has a home, as do we all.

And the egg thing was awesome.
lordcloud's Avatar lordcloud 06:28 PM 01-20-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

+1 but the general response (on internet) to not liking it is that you are a heartless bastard and racist. smile.gif

I'm black, so my disdain for the movie has nothing to do with race, as much as it was just a weird movie and it made it difficult for me to connect with the characters or their plight on an emotional level.

I might in fact be a heartless bastard though.
darthrsg's Avatar darthrsg 06:35 PM 01-20-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordcloud View Post

I'm black, so my disdain for the movie has nothing to do with race, as much as it was just a weird movie and it made it difficult for me to connect with the characters or their plight on an emotional level.

I might in fact be a heartless bastard though.

I really feel better that I'm not the only one who had trouble connecting with it.
lordcloud's Avatar lordcloud 06:47 PM 01-20-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

I really feel better that I'm not the only one who had trouble connecting with it.

It felt far too out of this world for me, and the characters didn't seem realistic in any way.
darthrsg's Avatar darthrsg 07:01 PM 01-20-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordcloud View Post

It felt far too out of this world for me, and the characters didn't seem realistic in any way.
Her old man felt pretty real to me but the trailer sold it as all magical and stuff and it wasn't enough of that. I'm still trying to remember what other movie is similar to this but superior.

I did enjoy the asthetics, camerawork, and the location. It is weird though that after seeing it the trailer is better than the movie.
lordcloud's Avatar lordcloud 08:42 PM 01-20-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Her old man felt pretty real to me but the trailer sold it as all magical and stuff and it wasn't enough of that. I'm still trying to remember what other movie is similar to this but superior.

I did enjoy the asthetics, camerawork, and the location. It is weird though that after seeing it the trailer is better than the movie.

He didn't seem real to me at all. Maybe because I haven't known anyone with any sort of similar mental affliction. He just seemed way too over the top for me, as did their lifestyle and reaction to the events and their situations. Very few instances in the movie seemed familiar at all.

I never saw the trailer myself. A friend of mine picked the movie out and I was obliging, as the synopsis made it sound very interesting. And now that I think about it, the way it read, it made it seem as though there would be an element of fantasy. I was sorely disappointed when I left the theater. I felt as though I watched something that could have been amazing, but just wasn't.
darthrsg's Avatar darthrsg 09:21 PM 01-20-2013
Yep. No argument there.
Shaded Dogfood's Avatar Shaded Dogfood 07:25 AM 01-21-2013
I really feel better that I'm not the only one who had trouble connecting with it.

This is my go-to site for film reviews from KPCC in Los Angeles. The podcasts are easy to download:

http://podcasts.scpr.org/filmweek

Anyway, they have a rotating group of reviewers who I think are pretty perceptive, and they get around to talking about just about everything that's in current release in the US.

Their reviewers didn't like Beasts very much.
oink's Avatar oink 01:30 AM 01-24-2013
Watched tonite and was dazzled.

I was transported to another world and completely pulled into the movie.

This is not a "date movie," far far from it.
It is a peek at the darkness of the human condition...
Things are NOT fair, nor are they designed to be.
Happy endings, for the most part, only come true in GOOD fairy tales, not in a dark one such as this.

The entire point the filmmaker is trying to make only becomes clear in the last 15-20 minutes.
It is magical and devastating at the same time.

The actress in the main character is...well, words fail me here.
If she isn't recognized for this role, there truly is no justice.

If I have a complaint, it is the use of 16MM for principal photography.
Often the shortcomings can be VERY distracting.
But don't let that scare you away....

As much as I admire Zero Dark Thirty, this movie has more power and depth and will be much harder to forget.
darthrsg's Avatar darthrsg 05:03 AM 01-24-2013
Breasts of the Southern Wild would be a better movie.
fjames's Avatar fjames 01:50 AM 01-25-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

As much as I admire Zero Dark Thirty, this movie has more power and depth and will be much harder to forget.

You need to see Searching For Sugar Man. NF has it on BD, I just finished it. Somewhere between remarkable and brilliant. That's all I'm gonna say smile.gif

Except - it's a documentary, and it's about a musician, so if that turns you off, forget I said anything biggrin.gif
oink's Avatar oink 10:42 AM 01-25-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjames View Post

You need to see Searching For Sugar Man. NF has it on BD, I just finished it. Somewhere between remarkable and brilliant. That's all I'm gonna say smile.gif

Except - it's a documentary, and it's about a musician, so if that turns you off, forget I said anything biggrin.gif
Actually, I put it in my queue a week ago.wink.gif
Rob from NJ's Avatar Rob from NJ 10:48 PM 01-25-2013
Saw Beasts in my home theater tonight. I was bored. I thought I was close to finishing and looked at the time. Only 45 minutes of the movie had gone by. eek.gif I could not connect with the story line, nor the characters in any way, shape or form. I'm sure the acting must have been good, however, without a connection to the characters it was difficult for me to tell. I did not enjoy the visual presentation on my projection system either. Too grainy for me and colors were muted. Cam shots were too shaky. If there's a positive, I thought the audio was decent. Good surround sound with some bass scenes.

Saw Silver Linings in the movies last week and throughly enjoyed every single minute of that movie. I know its very different than Beasts.
tokerblue's Avatar tokerblue 07:42 AM 08-03-2013
I just watched this movie last night and was really disappointed. This is another movie that I just don't get the praise for. Performances were OK, but the plot just wasn't as interesting as the synopsis was.
Up
Mobile  Desktop