End of Watch - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-05-2012, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
From the director of Street Kings and Harsh Times, comes another tale centered around the LAPD starring Jake Gyllenhaal and Micheal Pena.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2012, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Interesting. Some more stuff: http://collider.com/end-of-watch-ima...nopsis/113115/

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
Old 11-23-2012, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Wow, only 2 posts? Surely this was worth some good discussion material?

I need your sweet love, Rosetta Stone girl!
Old 11-25-2012, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
It is a bit surprising that there seems to be a lack of interest in discussion of this film.

I watched it last night and was totally blown away by the grit and realism of the movie. The performances by Gyllenhaal and Pena I thought were spectacular. The chemistry between the 2 of them was like none I had ever seen in a cop drama.
Living in L.A., I could totally relate to the brutal depiction of gang/thug life in this city, although it may seem to some that the portrayal of crime as it was seen in this movie was a bit over the top, and there are some really brutal scenes shown in gut wrenching reality. There are some true badasses roaming the mean streets here.

The story was brilliant, the acting was amazing and the portrayal of day to day life for LA cops on the streets of the toughest neighborhoods in this city was as close to reality as I have ever seen.
The one irritating thing about the movie, I thought, was the POV "shaky cam" in every scene got to be a bit of an annoyance after awhile. I get what the director was trying to do here, trying to portray the movie as sort of documentary by the cops (and crooks too btw), but it just seemed to be a bit too much of a stretch. I mean, there were some scenes where you just wonder, who's holding the cam or, why would they be holding and filming with cam in this situation. But after awhile I just suspend disbelief and go with the flow. Besides that flaw, which some may find to be unforgiving, I felt the film was strong enough on it's merits of story telling and action to highly recommend it.

I can't really comment on the picture quality or use of sound envelopment in the movie cause I watched a streamed version on XBMC (so sue me...lol) in 720p and PLll, but I will absolutely be buying this on Blu-Ray when released.

Cheers,
C. Wood
Old 11-25-2012, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

I am curious if the opening sequence was actual police footage or entirely recreated to resemble police footage.

The cartel element wasn't as central to the movie as I thought it would be (from the trailer). It was more of a peripheral element that is acknowledged in the storyline but not at all critical to the storyline. Of course, can't really expect 2 basic LAPD officers to actually take on a cartel, anyway.

After the movie, I felt disgust that such a place exists (or has to exist) in the USA. Those 2 LAPD are really in a war zone (with tribes and petty warlords and truly psychopathic personalities just walking about as regular as daylight), but unfortunately, we can only manage it as a police enforcement scenario. From their point of view, they have acclimated to it as normal life, but (I hope) from our point of view as foreigners to South Central and E LA, it is utterly horrifying what goes on there, or that such neighborhoods are just seen as a permanent and normal facet to CA (instead of a serious, serious problem that is a fundamental threat to civilized society). I'm not even saying that it can even be resolved with simply more enforcement. I'm saying these people have normalized to a way of life that is so far removed from civilized society, there is no coming back. They could not elect to live a different life, even if they tried, but those sensibilities are every bit as crucial to their survival in that environment.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 968
Son of a bitch. Edge of my seat. White knuckle. NO GORRAM OSCAR NOM? Phenomenal film. Exhale.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:01 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 297
I'm looking forward in watching this movie next week

Frank
Old 01-26-2013, 01:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Son of a bitch. Edge of my seat. White knuckle. NO GORRAM OSCAR NOM? Phenomenal film. Exhale.
Due to all of the rave reviews, I almost did a blind buy of this (moves to top of queue).

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
Old 01-26-2013, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 296
I watched this yesterday and enjoyed it quite a bit. Even got a little emotional...which almost never happens to me... because I am a man and all smile.gif
Old 01-26-2013, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

I watched this yesterday and enjoyed it quite a bit. Even got a little emotional...which almost never happens to me... because I am a man and all smile.gif

Good stuff. One of the best things I've seen in a while. I don't understand why it got no love for Oscars. Jake and Michael were superb. I know shaky cam movies get hated on but this one I didn't even notice it. I've seen some reviews complaining about the story but they missed the point. The story is the two cops.

I also didn't know the same guy did Harsh Times, another great flick.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:30 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 323
I watched this last night and enjoyed the action. I liked the way the story was told for the most part via the hand cams. Although I have no doubt the events depicted have happened and continue to happen, but the fact that the all happened to the same two guys was somewhat contrived and took away from believability. And you didn't have to watch for very long to have a pretty good idea what was going to happen at the end. This typical Hollywood cookie cutter movie was not PG-13 which made it slightly above average.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
Old 01-27-2013, 05:43 AM
CIH USER

Luckily enough this arrived today so will be watching very soon.

Frank
Old 01-27-2013, 07:45 PM
CIH USER

This film was great, I really enjoyed it. Im so glad I bought this.

Frank
Old 01-28-2013, 03:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I enjoyed it. Had no problem with the shakey cam. For some odd reason I keep thinking its a sequel to Jarhead since Jake's character came from the Marines lol

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
Old 01-28-2013, 03:09 AM
CIH USER

Yeah no shakeup cam issues here either.

Frank
Old 01-28-2013, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 341
I couldn't stand the damn shaky cam. I have no desire to watch it again because of it, which is kind of a shame because the film was really good. Fortunately I rent it and avoided a blind buy.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Saw this one today, didn't know anything about it except the "plot summary".
Liked it alot, liked the grit and realism.
I'm not an LA cop obviously but I thought they did well in the attempt to make it seem real.
Didn't mind the shaky cam since it wasn't an "added action-feature" but rather in the context of the story itself.

Thumbs up.

21:st century Karate Kid......Logon, Logoff, Logon, Logoff..
Old 05-17-2013, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
This was exactly what I thought it would be. A movie version of Southland the TV series. It delivers the same type of drama the
TV series has done for years. Too bad it's been cancelled since no one was really watching it. I'm surprised it survived for
4 years on TNT. Worth a rent if you want more of the same after watching this movie.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwglideman View Post

It is a bit surprising that there seems to be a lack of interest in discussion of this film.

I watched it last night and was totally blown away by the grit and realism of the movie. The performances by Gyllenhaal and Pena I thought were spectacular. The chemistry between the 2 of them was like none I had ever seen in a cop drama.
Living in L.A., I could totally relate to the brutal depiction of gang/thug life in this city, although it may seem to some that the portrayal of crime as it was seen in this movie was a bit over the top, and there are some really brutal scenes shown in gut wrenching reality. There are some true badasses roaming the mean streets here.

The story was brilliant, the acting was amazing and the portrayal of day to day life for LA cops on the streets of the toughest neighborhoods in this city was as close to reality as I have ever seen.

+1
Old 06-04-2013, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

It has been umpteen months since I've seen the movie, and the scene toward the end, of the bodies of 2 partners slumped over each other is ingrained into my mind, utterly chilling and anguishing to my core.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
You should probably put that within spoiler tags.

21:st century Karate Kid......Logon, Logoff, Logon, Logoff..