Argo -- Ben Affleck's third directorial effort - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-29-2013, 10:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 702
The Argo BD just arrived from Netflix; on deck for tonight! Saw Zero Dark Thirty a couple of weeks ago. Pretty good delayed double-feature, I reckon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2013, 11:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Last year gave us an embarrassing surfeit of movie riches.
The more I get caught up with last year's "riches" via disk, the more I agree.
Because of lower profiles, there was a lot of great movies overlooked.

Quote:
Although I loved that the Academy gave Argo the Best Picture Oscar, my sentimental favorite was Zero Dark Thirty. It had no realistic chance of winning because of the level of (misplaced) hatred it drew from both the left and the right. What a crock all of that was! Zero Dark Thirty is perhaps the finest character study of the emotional, and sometimes physical, price patriotic Americans pay for willingly doing the brutal, distasteful, and sometimes dangerous, jobs that keep the rest of us safe. Pay particular attention to the final scene of Maya as the only passenger on a huge transport plane. Jesus!
Although I haven't seen ALL of the nominated movies, I'll be the first one to admit KB's ZDT is a true masterpiece.
ZDT is so superior to the THL, I don't know where to begin.

It is tragic and "a crock" how controversy (totally unwarranted IMO) sunk the movie late in the game.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
Old 03-29-2013, 09:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Although I haven't seen ALL of the nominated movies, I'll be the first one to admit KB's ZDT is a true masterpiece.
ZDT is so superior to the THL, I don't know where to begin.

It is tragic and "a crock" how controversy (totally unwarranted IMO) sunk the movie late in the game.

I loved The Hurt Locker, I have the BD, but agree that it's not in a class with Zero Dark Thirty. I'm glad you agree that the unjustified controversy the wing nuts fomented about Zero Dark Thirty, and thereby deprived it of its chance to win the Best Picture Oscar, was infuriating.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

Now this is is a "MOVIE"...top notch stuff. I had no interest in watching this at all as I'm not crazy about political films like this Munich,etc. But for some reason perhaps because it won Oscar for BP I had to give it a whirl and glad I did.

It was very well executed ii every dept IMO: acting, direction, script, wild locations,..everything had to click which was not easy at all to do for this subject matter and it could have been very boring. I was prob most astounded that the movie was not at all overly complicated or convoluted like for a political drama but it moved very quick and I was really on the edge of my seat with suspense the last hour. For once in a a blue moon I agree with the Academy...best picture indeed. And anyone can watch this, not just boring intelligent historians or adults either.

+1 "to the t".

Did a double feature of Argo & ZDT last night. What a treat.

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror: 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008
Old 03-30-2013, 09:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack View Post

+1 "to the t".

What a double feature! Despite how thick on the ground great films were last year, Argo and Zero Dark Thirty were my choices for the Best Picture Oscar. I have the BDs of both. I think it's fair to say that both Ben Affleck and Katherine Bigelow know what they are doing behind the camera. Bigelow gets a lot of help from her brilliant screenwriter, Mark Boal, too. Bigelow already has her Best Director Oscar, so the Director's Guild's snub in failing to nominate her for a Best Director Oscar for Zero Dark Thirty wasn't as awful as it might have been. The snub in Affleck's case was awful, though. If he keeps on turning in work of the quality he has given us so far, the Guild's gaffe will be rectified one of these days.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:

Pay particular attention to the final scene of Maya as the only passenger on a huge transport plane. Jesus!

Indeed. Up until very recently I sort of refused to see the movie, not because of the "controversy", but simply because of its subject matter. I just thought a movie like this wasn't necessary, that this chapter in our History was too fresh, etc... But, after reading all the praise, including your own comments about the film here at avs, I decided to blind buy ZDT when it came out... Still hoping to be pleasantly surprised despite my doubts. And boy was I surprised. Jessica Chastain is fantastic, as well as the entire cast, and particularly Jason Clarke who was perfect. I still think Jennifer Lawrence fully deserved her oscar for Silver Linings Playbook, but Jessica Chastain is a very close second. Her last films showed us that she can probably play any type of role in any type of movie. Besides, she's gorgeous so that can't hurt either wink.gif And yes, that last scene is heartbreaking for a lot of reasons, which she was able to sum up in a few seconds and without uttering a word.

As for Argo, I think that Ben Affleck has just had a remarkable career turnaround since he decided to concentrate on directing and acting. While I never dilsiked him as an actor, he's en route to become one of the best modern (and relatively young) directors.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

I still think Jennifer Lawrence fully deserved her oscar for Silver Linings Playbook, but Jessica Chastain is a very close second. Her last films showed us that she can probably play any type of role in any type of movie. Besides, she's gorgeous so that can't hurt either wink.gif And yes, that last scene is heartbreaking for a lot of reasons, which she was able to sum up in a few seconds and without uttering a word.

Like you, I was perfectly pleased to see Jennifer Lawrence win the Best Actress Oscar, although I would have been at least as happy if Jessica Chastain had won instead. Although I didn't like Terrence Malick's Tree of Life very much, Chastain's performance in it blew me away. Chastain is an incredibly talented actress, as she proved in Zero Dark Thirty.

Quote:
As for Argo, I think that Ben Affleck has just had a remarkable career turnaround since he decided to concentrate on directing and acting. While I never dilsiked him as an actor, he's en route to become one of the best modern (and relatively young) directors.

Since his first directing gig, in Gone Baby Gone, Affleck has turned out two more terrific films with The Town and, most recently, the wonderful Argo. I think the sky is the limit for the guy.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

Next up for Saturday night – Zero Dark Thirty.
That would be a good finishing touch in a 3 course meal. smile.gif
Old 03-31-2013, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:

I won’t ever do that. The only exception would be if I’ve seen them before. To me, like a fine wine, each one needs to be savored. I need time to fully absorb what I saw. I need time to think of the characters and how well the actors portrayed them to appreciate their performances. I need time to let the emotions run their course, especially with such powerful films as those. Obviously, YMMV.

I also can’t will not start a movie if I know I will not finish it in one sitting. I need the continuity.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I finally saw this, and was surprised how much I wasn't in love with it. It was a really good movie, but was missing something that would pull it over the top and make it a great or more interesting movie for me. Maybe I expected a little too much, but I was mildly disappointed. As disappointed as you can be in a very well done movie that you enjoyed.

I LOVE MOVIES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-31-2013, 10:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I won’t ever do that. The only exception would be if I’ve seen them before. To me, like a fine wine, each one needs to be savored. I need time to fully absorb what I saw. I need time to think of the characters and how well the actors portrayed them to appreciate their performances. I need time to let the emotions run their course, especially with such powerful films as those. Obviously, YMMV.

I also can’t will not start a movie if I know I will not finish it in one sitting. I need the continuity.
You're showing your age, Tom.tongue.gif

Old 03-31-2013, 11:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I won’t ever do that [watch two movies on the same night]. The only exception would be if I’ve seen them before. To me, like a fine wine, each one needs to be savored. I need time to fully absorb what I saw. I need time to think of the characters and how well the actors portrayed them to appreciate their performances. I need time to let the emotions run their course, especially with such powerful films as those. Obviously, YMMV.

I am inclined to agree that a double feature of some films would be a bad idea. For example, my Zero Dark Thirty and Les Miserables BDs came from Amazon in the same delivery last week. It was tough enough to watch two such emotionally wearing movies in the same week. If I had watched both the same night, I might have needed therapy, or at least a prescription for Valium.smile.gif
Old 03-31-2013, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:

What a double feature! Despite how thick on the ground great films were last year, Argo and Zero Dark Thirty were my choices for the Best Picture Oscar. I have the BDs of both. I think it's fair to say that both Ben Affleck and Katherine Bigelow know what they are doing behind the camera. Bigelow gets a lot of help from her brilliant screenwriter, Mark Boal, too. Bigelow already has her Best Director Oscar, so the Director's Guild's snub in failing to nominate her for a Best Director Oscar for Zero Dark Thirty wasn't as awful as it might have been. The snub in Affleck's case was awful, though. If he keeps on turning in work of the quality he has given us so far, the Guild's gaffe will be rectified one of these days.

I haven't been closely following the AA's in years but would have bet $ a directing nom for Affleck. Whoops.
Quote:

Yep I'm actually with you on this. Would normally wait and save one for another night but the Redbox was all out of Wreck it Ralph or anything above 20% on the RT meter.

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror: 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008
Old 03-31-2013, 03:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I haven't been closely following the AA's in years but would have bet $ a directing nom for Affleck. Whoops.

Most arts awards make my eyes glaze over but, I confess, I have always loved the Oscars. Thus, I have probably taken the silliness way too seriously but can't help paying attention. When the Directors Guild Passed over Ben Affleck for Argo, Tom Hooper for Les Miserables, Quentin Tarantino for Django Unchained, and Kathryn Bigelow for Zero Dark Thirty I howled in outrage. I could have understood how the Guild might have passed over one, or even two, of them but all four? Sheesh!
Old 03-31-2013, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

Most arts awards make my eyes glaze over but, I confess, I have always loved the Oscars. Thus, I have probably taken the silliness way too seriously but can't help paying attention. When the Directors Guild Passed over Ben Affleck for Argo, Tom Hooper for Les Miserables, Quentin Tarantino for Django Unchained, and Kathryn Bigelow for Zero Dark Thirty I howled in outrage. I could have understood how the Guild might have passed over one, or even two, of them but all four? Sheesh!

Huh?

http://www.deadline.com/2013/01/directors-guild-award-nominations-2013-announced-list/

Eve: I thought I was through getting involved with men who were trouble. Falling in love on a look. I can't look at you.

Mickey: You have perfection about you. Your eyes have music. Your heart's the best part of your body. And when you move, every man, woman and child is forced to watch.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

After I saw your post, I did a little research and saw that the Best Director nominations are given by the Academy's directors branch, whoever they are. I had been laboring under the misapprehension that that was Directors Guild of America. Clearly, that's not the case. Thanks for the correction. In any event, whoever was responsible for the Best Director Oscar nominations screwed up, badly. According to a Fox News piece, the Academy's Best Director nominating group screwed up by rushing to get its nominations out before the Director's Guild and others announced theirs.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I won’t ever do that. The only exception would be if I’ve seen them before. To me, like a fine wine, each one needs to be savored. I need time to fully absorb what I saw.
If one must do a double feature, it may be a good idea to see an average movie first and then a good one afterwords to finish off. There are only handful of good movies per year that it would be frugal to spread them out evenly.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
Quote:

After I saw your post, I did a little research and saw that the Best Director nominations are given by the Academy's directors branch, whoever they are. I had been laboring under the misapprehension that that was Directors Guild of America. Clearly, that's not the case. Thanks for the correction. In any event, whoever was responsible for the Best Director Oscar nominations screwed up, badly. According to a Fox News piece, the Academy's Best Director nominating group screwed up by rushing to get its nominations out before the Director's Guild and others announced theirs.

Ah, I see what you're saying now. Yeah, I remember a few unscripted remarks at the AA referencing Affleck and/or the director nominations. You just can't hide from the politics smile.gif

Eve: I thought I was through getting involved with men who were trouble. Falling in love on a look. I can't look at you.

Mickey: You have perfection about you. Your eyes have music. Your heart's the best part of your body. And when you move, every man, woman and child is forced to watch.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruiser View Post

If one must do a double feature, it may be a good idea to see an average movie first and then a good one afterwords to finish off. There are only handful of good movies per year that it would be frugal to spread them out evenly.
Agreed.
Although I prefer not to, I can mix a "B-movie" with a great one.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I still can hardly get my mind around how many great 2012 films were released during or near the holiday season. In addition to the Oscar winning Argo, Zero Dark Thirty, Django Unchained, Lincoln, Les Miserables, and Silver Linings Playbook also came out. Life of Pi was also released in that time frame. I didn't like Life of Pi as well as the others but the Academy liked it well enough to award its director, Ang Lee, the Best Director Oscar. I've been a movie buff for over 60 years but can't remember seeing anything like it before.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I've been a movie buff for over 60 years but can't remember seeing anything like it before.
"There is first time for everything."
"Only thing constant is change."
cool.gif
Old 04-01-2013, 10:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruiser View Post

"There is first time for everything."
"Only thing constant is change."
cool.gif

I am just greedy enough to wish that we would have a boatload of great movies every year but we all know how unlikely that is.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordcloud View Post

I finally saw this, and was surprised how much I wasn't in love with it. It was a really good movie, but was missing something that would pull it over the top and make it a great or more interesting movie for me. Maybe I expected a little too much, but I was mildly disappointed. As disappointed as you can be in a very well done movie that you enjoyed.

Yeah pretty much what I thought of it too.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
Old 05-03-2013, 11:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Watched Argo last night.

I have to agree with the Academy...Best Picture of the Year.

GREAT job by BA of keeping the very dramatic plot on track and leaving viewers on the edge of their seats.
Beautifully finely shaped storytelling, with good acting (although nothing spectacular IMO).
Hats-off to Ben....he deserves a lot of credit for this excellent film.

I remember the Hostage Crisis pretty well.
Generally, the movie keeps to the history, with only a couple of embellishments for dramatic purposes.
The Government completely bungled the Iran situation ever since WW II and we paid the price in 1979 and ever since.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
good movie. But somethings did not make sense. For example why did they even attempt to shoot at the bazaar? I understand making it look real, but that was asking for trouble.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

good movie. But somethings did not make sense. For example why did they even attempt to shoot at the bazaar? I understand making it look real, but that was asking for trouble.
They wanted to sell the authorities in a very noticeable way they were a legit film crew and not some devious CIA plot or whatnot.

Old 05-03-2013, 03:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Watched Argo last night.

I have to agree with the Academy...Best Picture of the Year.

GREAT job by BA of keeping the very dramatic plot on track and leaving viewers on the edge of their seats.
Beautifully finely shaped storytelling, with good acting (although nothing spectacular IMO).
Hats-off to Ben....he deserves a lot of credit for this excellent film.

I remember the Hostage Crisis pretty well.
Generally, the movie keeps to the history, with only a couple of embellishments for dramatic purposes.
The Government completely bungled the Iran situation ever since WW II and we paid the price in 1979 and ever since.

+1! As noted in earlier posts, I too thought the Academy got it right when it awarded its Best Picture Oscar to Argo. Affleck has the same workmanlike knack that Eastwood has of being able to tell a story that is both straightforward and consistently interesting. Ang Lee needs to send Ben a Christmas turkey. Come to think of it, Lee should give the Director's wing of the Academy an airplane.smile.gif
Old 09-10-2013, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 968
Just watched it and it is very good. I like it better than ZDT.