Gangster Squad - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 05-09-2012, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter
 
lwright84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,762
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
From the director of Zombieland, and starring Sean Penn, Josh Brolin, Ryan Gosling, Nick Nolte, Giovanni Ribisi, Emma Stone, and Anthony Mackie.

lwright84 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 Old 01-12-2013, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
zoey67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: cloud9
Posts: 2,644
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Oh oh...the reviews and feedback so far on AICN is unanimously bad. So looks like we have 2 duds this year from this genre now along with Lawless. Last one Public enemy was also a snoozer. Time to bring in the man for this job...Martin scorcese and get it right.
zoey67 is offline  
post #3 of 16 Old 01-12-2013, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Post America America
Posts: 8,538
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

Oh oh...the reviews and feedback so far on AICN is unanimously bad. So looks like we have 2 duds this year from this genre now along with Lawless. Last one Public enemy was also a snoozer. Time to bring in the man for this job...Martin scorcese and get it right.

This was bad when Sean Penn got involved. The title is the final shovel full of dirt on the grave too.
darthrsg is online now  
post #4 of 16 Old 01-12-2013, 10:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rezzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: The Matrix
Posts: 7,702
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 38
The (TV) trailer has a slight edge to it; almost animated looking. Looks digitally shot, but digital IS the new style. Anyway, Penn does one thing very well....playing a "goodfella".

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
rezzy is online now  
post #5 of 16 Old 01-13-2013, 12:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
zoey67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: cloud9
Posts: 2,644
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

This was bad when Sean Penn got involved. The title is the final shovel full of dirt on the grave too.
LoL...I know what you mean. I think the guy should quit fooling around up there in Haiti trying to be mother Teresa or something and focus on acting you know. I just don't get his priorities,..why do that when we have messed up cities from the recession ghetto places right here in our back yard that needs help.
zoey67 is offline  
post #6 of 16 Old 01-13-2013, 08:05 AM
Newbie
 
farmerokbag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i agree with you, Time to bring in the man for this job...Martin scorcese and get it right.,thank you 2.gif
farmerokbag is offline  
post #7 of 16 Old 05-16-2013, 02:34 AM
CIH USER
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 17,232
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 202
I decided to rent this movie tonight I hope Its not that bad.

_________________________

Frank

Franin is offline  
post #8 of 16 Old 12-28-2013, 12:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 26,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 815
NF sent me the BD today.

Really enjoyed this flight-of-fantasy gangster film.

Although it states to be "based on a true story," it veers off the known history of Mickey Cohen in the 2nd half.
It is the only film I know of or at least in recent memory that focuses on MC.

Fine performances by an excellent cast.
Sean Penn is a very menacing Cohen, but everyone here does a great job.

I am not sure why there is hate directed at this one....nor I am sure why it didn't do bigger business.
IMO, it deserved to.
Perhaps people are tired of gangster flicks.....I dunno.

At times the look of this movie was a little too slick.
The costumes, cars, and the sets looked like they had been made the day of the shooting.
Everything is clean and perfect....too much so, perhaps.
Anyway, it is a kind of a niggling point.

FWIW, the video of the BD is superb in every way.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
oink is offline  
post #9 of 16 Old 12-31-2013, 12:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Post America America
Posts: 8,538
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 725
We caught this the other day and it was a glorious sight to see Sean Penn beaten to near death by Brolin.
Phrehdd likes this.
darthrsg is online now  
post #10 of 16 Old 12-31-2013, 12:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 26,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

We caught this the other day and it was a glorious sight to see Sean Penn beaten to near death by Brolin.
LOL.
Actually, they have been friends for a long time.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
oink is offline  
post #11 of 16 Old 12-31-2013, 12:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Post America America
Posts: 8,538
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

LOL.
Actually, they have been friends for a long time.

Stop it. Now I hate Brolin.
darthrsg is online now  
post #12 of 16 Old 12-31-2013, 12:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 26,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Stop it. Now I hate Brolin.
No reason to hate....they're drinking buddies.wink.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
oink is offline  
post #13 of 16 Old 02-20-2014, 11:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 14,577
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

NF sent me the BD today.

Really enjoyed this flight-of-fantasy gangster film.

Although it states to be "based on a true story," it veers off the known history of Mickey Cohen in the 2nd half.
It is the only film I know of or at least in recent memory that focuses on MC.

Fine performances by an excellent cast.
Sean Penn is a very menacing Cohen, but everyone here does a great job.

I am not sure why there is hate directed at this one....nor I am sure why it didn't do bigger business.
IMO, it deserved to.
Perhaps people are tired of gangster flicks.....I dunno.

At times the look of this movie was a little too slick.
The costumes, cars, and the sets looked like they had been made the day of the shooting.
Everything is clean and perfect....too much so, perhaps.
Anyway, it is a kind of a niggling point.

FWIW, the video of the BD is superb in every way.

Finally saw Gangster Squad recently when it showed up on HBO. Despite HBO's egregious practice of cropping 2.35:1 film to 16:9 and the lack of HD audio, the film both looked and sounded great. Its production values and the talent of its large cast were top of the line. Unfortunately, though, both the direction and writing were awful. I was left with the impression that neither the director nor writer knew what they wanted the film to be when it grew up. If they were aiming for something like LA Confidential, the writing wasn't smart enough and the direction far too ham handed. If it was after a Sin City vibe, it failed there too because it was utterly without humor. Finally, watching it made me think of Scarface but it lacked Brian De Palma's ability to simultaneously send up and pay homage to other genre films. In short, a good idea and great cast that could have turned out to be a great film produced one that was merely mediocre.

All of the foregoing said, I was well entertained by Gangster Squad. Although dumb beyond belief its wall to wall great performances and great action scenes, not to mention lots of pretty girls, made for a rather entertaining couple of hours. Because I was in a good mood, I rated it at 7 Stars out of 10. Like oink, if I had seen it in the theater or rented the BD, I wouldn't have felt cheated.
gwsat is online now  
post #14 of 16 Old 02-20-2014, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Morpheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Montreal by day, Paris by night...
Posts: 6,540
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Two words: Emma. Stone.

biggrin.gif


...I like the film - it's nice to see Ryan Gosling deliver more than 2 lines of dialog every once in a while wink.gif... Except for Scorsese's, I'm not fond of voiceovers I have to admit though. As for Sean Penn, I like him. His Mickey Cohen was a caricature but it was intented that way. I also saw him recently in The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty - a film I liked quite a lot for numerous reasons - and his limited screentime was, nonetheless, one of the highlights of the film.
Morpheo is online now  
post #15 of 16 Old 02-20-2014, 11:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 26,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Finally saw Gangster Squad recently when it showed up on HBO. Despite HBO's egregious practice of cropping 2.35:1 film to 16:9 and the lack of HD audio, the film both looked and sounded great.
You should have seen the BD with the OAR.
The AV is nothing less than "reference."

Quote:
If they were aiming for something like LA Confidential, the writing wasn't smart enough and the direction far too ham handed.
I think this is what they were actually shooting for.
Sadly, it didn't quite hit the mark.

Quote:
All of the foregoing said, I was well entertained by Gangster Squad. Although dumb beyond belief its wall to wall great performances and great action scenes, not to mention lots of pretty girls, made for a rather entertaining couple of hours.
I have to agree....there are worse ways to spend a couple of hours in the HT.wink.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
oink is offline  
post #16 of 16 Old 02-20-2014, 12:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 14,577
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

Two words: Emma. Stone.

biggrin.gif

When I said "lots of pretty girls," the first pretty girl that came to mind was scrumptious Emma Stone. I've yet to see her do anything less than terrific work. Not only is she gorgeous, she is a fine actress too. The only other young actress I can think of who brings the same level of beauty, talent, and edginess to her performances is Emily Blunt.
gwsat is online now  
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off