Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 05-09-2012, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Movie Magic to Leave Home For?

Quote:

Someday, if the dreams of movie-technology designers come true, you'll flash your smartphone ticket, settle into your plush cinema seat and be greeted with a hyper-real picture, sounds from every direction andif you need themclosed captions projected on special glasses.

Such were the possibilities raised last month at the CinemaCon convention in Las Vegas, where technology companies pitched theater operators on the merits of faster projection rates to improve clarity; new, immersive, surround-sound audio systems; laser 3-D projectors; paperless ticketing; and more.

*SNIP*

http://www.dcinematoday.com/dc/extURLs.aspx?id=402
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-09-2012, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Magic is not created by technology, its created with skilled people.

PS Cant read the article.

EDIT

Found the scrollbar, could read it.

Good movies are as rare as an on topic discussion.
post #3 of 12 Old 05-10-2012, 12:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post

Magic is not created by technology, its created with skilled people.

PS Cant read the article.

EDIT

Found the scrollbar, could read it.

I beg to differ. It is a combination of technology AND skilled people.
post #4 of 12 Old 05-10-2012, 02:00 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

That might be true if technology grew on trees. The magic comes from the "product" of one set of skilled people used later by another set of skilled people to create a "product".

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #5 of 12 Old 05-10-2012, 02:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

That might be true if technology grew on trees. The magic comes from the "product" of one set of skilled people used later by another set of skilled people to create a "product".

larry

And "product" = technology.
post #6 of 12 Old 05-10-2012, 04:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As long as the technology doesnt take time and energy from the skilled people. To often we see movies that uses a story to sell technology, instead of technology that sells a story.

post #7 of 12 Old 05-10-2012, 05:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 39
This does touch upon what might be a controversial topic here at AVS.

First of all, I am a longtime home theater nut, I had a 120" 4:3 screen in a basement theater, illuminated with a triple-CRT front projector, and driven by a VHS VCR with stereo sound, in the early 1980's. I have viewed literally thousands of films on DVD since then, and still have a projector not quite 30 years later. Whenever possible, I have friends over and we watch movies in a group in my HT.

I am lucky in that there are at least THREE rather good quality real theaters withinn 15 miles of my house, where I can depend upon a decent movie exhibition from management that cares enough to do things right. I understand that some of you are not so fortunate, as I have read your litany of complaints many times.

Going to a real theater, with real media (either digital cinema or film) and with an actual crowd and with the aroma of fresh popcorn around you, is an experience that quite simply beats the heck out of sitting alone in a home theater with your hand on a remote, in complete command of lighting and focus and volume. The ultimate movie experience is seeing a huge screen with incredible sound, in a huge room surrounded by thousands of people - I like Radio City Music Hall, although the chorus line may play some role in my preferences.

One is an enjoyable social experience, the other is a fancy way to watch TV. I hope we do get to experience the new theater technology mentioned above, in a real theater, a few years from now. Because it beats the heck out of sitting alone in the dark.

Gary McCoy
The United States Constitution ©1791. All Rights Reserved.

post #8 of 12 Old 05-10-2012, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:

Yes but ultimately it's how said skilled people use the technology. So it still comes down to skilled people only. Technology has always been there, it's just more advanced year after year. Yet we don't have "better" movies now. Skills don't change, you're talented at what you do or you're not, technology can't change that. I think movie studios try to do the same thing today that they did when television came out...They're doing it differently of course but it's in the same lines. More this more that, better this better that so they can make sure people will still find it relevant to go to the theater, cause we have high definition video and lossless sound in the comfort of our homes on 60"+ screens. As much as I dislike 3D, I admit it's part of that process. Yet, when I went to see The Avengers two days ago, it was in 2D and the theater was full. People were cheering and having a good time because the movie is insanely good. I'm sure I enjoyed it at least as much as those who see it in 3D (I'm not criticizing 3D for the sake of criticizing 3D, I'm just using as an example - yet it's converted, so...ok nevermind). I hope they succeed (at keeping the "movie theater experience" relevant), cause to me, seeing a movie in a theater is also "part of the process", at least part of mine. I know multiplexes suck and projectors are operated by 16 y.o., but there are places better than others, and sitting in the big dark room when the first image appears, I don't know, I just love that But a good movie is a good movie and a bad movie is a bad movie, no matter how much cheese is added to it.
post #9 of 12 Old 05-10-2012, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary mccoy View Post

going to a real theater, with real media (either digital cinema or film) and with an actual crowd and with the aroma of fresh popcorn around you, is an experience that quite simply beats the heck out of sitting alone in a home theater with your hand on a remote, in complete command of lighting and focus and volume. The ultimate movie experience is seeing a huge screen with incredible sound, in a huge room surrounded by thousands of people - i like radio city music hall, although the chorus line may play some role in my preferences.

One is an enjoyable social experience, the other is a fancy way to watch tv. I hope we do get to experience the new theater technology mentioned above, in a real theater, a few years from now. Because it beats the heck out of sitting alone in the dark.

+100
post #10 of 12 Old 05-10-2012, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Oh Lord. How much is a home theater set up with Atmos gonna cost? Holy cow! I'm happy with my 7.4. I hope this doesn't catch on.

Kaboom.
post #11 of 12 Old 05-10-2012, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post

As long as the technology doesnt take time and energy from the skilled people. To often we see movies that uses a story to sell technology, instead of technology that sells a story.

We are talking about movie presentation. THAT is the crux of the article that I linked. No need to move the goal posts to push your agenda.
post #12 of 12 Old 05-10-2012, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

We are talking about movie presentation. THAT is the crux of the article that I linked. No need to move the goal posts to push your agenda.

What?

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page