post #361 of 437 Old 09-25-2013, 11:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post

Checked online and it did mention that it was in store only with no price given. Both are basically across the street from each other and on the way home from work. Done. Thanks Oink!
I picked mine up yesterday.smile.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 437 Old 09-25-2013, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I picked mine up yesterday.smile.gif

I was going to blind buy but NF shipped so will check it out first.

Did the same for STID last week and now will not buy. Hoping IM3 is better.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #363 of 437 Old 09-25-2013, 12:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

Hoping IM3 is better.
Of all the Marvel movies, IM3 is easily the funniest.
Tons of great one-liners by RDJr.

post #364 of 437 Old 09-25-2013, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:

Of all the Marvel movies, IM3 is easily the funniest.
Tons of great one-liners by RDJr.

Ok, I've definitely gotta take a second go at this one because I don't remember this being the case. Don't get me wrong, it certainly had it's funny moments. Maybe I was tired or something when I saw it theatrically. Or maybe I was under the influence. I mean....do we REALLY know what that movie theater butter is made out of?
post #365 of 437 Old 09-25-2013, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:

I was going to blind buy but NF shipped so will check it out first.

Did the same for STID last week and now will not buy. Hoping IM3 is better.

C'mon, Cabo! This is one you need for your collection. Lots of replayability.

Quote:

Ok, I've definitely gotta take a second go at this one because I don't remember this being the case. Don't get me wrong, it certainly had it's funny moments. Maybe I was tired or something when I saw it theatrically. Or maybe I was under the influence. I mean....do we REALLY know what that movie theater butter is made out of?

Yeah, RDJ fires off some great one liners.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #366 of 437 Old 09-25-2013, 01:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Or maybe I was under the influence. I mean....do we REALLY know what that movie theater butter is made out of?
It's OK to be "under the influence," but not from that yellow, syrupy stuff movie theaters call "butter."
I have often wondered if some of my clogged arteries are the result of it.....

post #367 of 437 Old 09-25-2013, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23

Worst IM movie of the franchise.
post #368 of 437 Old 09-25-2013, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's OK to be "under the influence," but not from that yellow, syrupy stuff movie theaters call "butter."

I don't know about your theater of choice Oink, but mine, now that I think of it, has self service butter. They won't put it on for you. That has CYA written all over it! biggrin.gif
post #369 of 437 Old 09-25-2013, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidML3 View Post

Most of the nit picks from that review are what appealed to me. I am not a comic book junkie, so I am not wedded to the Marvel canon. Didn't give two rats about the Mandarin flip, and didn't mind seeing more of the man behind the mask (and suit). I don't need more BSUP (blow **it UP) in the suit to make it an enjoyable Iron Man movie. I hated IM2 for this very reason.
post #370 of 437 Old 09-25-2013, 03:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj View Post

Most of the nit picks from that review are what appealed to me. I am not a comic book junkie, so I am not wedded to the Marvel canon. Didn't give two rats about the Mandarin flip, and didn't mind seeing more of the man behind the mask (and suit). I don't need more BSUP (blow **it UP) in the suit to make it an enjoyable Iron Man movie. I hated IM2 for this very reason.

It is a nice idea for a twist and quite a clever one, the problem for me is the person left to be a villain was incredibly weak who's characterization started and ended with being left on a roof one night. On top of that Iron Mans suit constantly running out of power (despite what a huge focus of Iron Man 2 was), the inconsistent damage the villains could take, why the henchmen where working for the villain (if this had been developed the villain could have been so much stronger as well), the fact that Iron Man can fight a god with little suit damage but now his suite gets shredded like it was made of tin foil, why does he make a threat to a terrorist then put on his only incomplete iron man suit, why doesn't he activate the other suits like he does at the end when he is first attacked, why does the film show that there is nothing special about him being Iron Man as anyone in the suit is shown to be his equal but then come to the conclusion that he is Iron Man, why can the villain who attacks the plan in War Machines suit use War Machine suit even in this film it is shown that the suits have to be calibrated to the person and he just jumps in and can use it and the last 10 minutes.... shudders. To me it is not as bad as films like Batman and Robin but it is down there slumming it just above films like the Fantastic Four.

This film had potential, but in execution it was week due to some sloppy writing.
post #371 of 437 Old 09-25-2013, 04:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:

Quote:

I don't know about your theater of choice Oink, but mine, now that I think of it, has self service butter. They won't put it on for you. That has CYA written all over it! biggrin.gif

We don't get the so called "butter" over here, they got rid if that years ago, especially in our state.

Frank

post #372 of 437 Old 09-25-2013, 08:52 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidML3 View Post

That was fantastic and summed up what an incredibly bad film this was. It really was THAT bad!

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #373 of 437 Old 09-25-2013, 11:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

That was fantastic and summed up what an incredibly bad film this was. It really was THAT bad!
Yeah, that pretty much nailed it and while part of me feels I need to have this on blu to add to 1 & 2 the other part of me knows that it was weak and will be played on Saturday's for 2-5 years on TBS, Spike, FX, , etc. etc. so what's the effing point.

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #374 of 437 Old 09-26-2013, 02:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

Yeah, that pretty much nailed it and while part of me feels I need to have this on blu to add to 1 & 2 the other part of me knows that it was weak and will be played on Saturday's for 2-5 years on TBS, Spike, FX, , etc. etc. so what's the effing point.
You can watch video not edited for television, listen to other part of you.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #375 of 437 Old 09-26-2013, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Watched it last night (first time at home, second time overall) and I did find it to be a little better than I remember; however, two things, I realized the "feel" of the movie was very different. What I mean is it was less "comic book" like IMO than the previous two. I think that's why I'm not quite as fond of it. IMO, the first felt very Marvel-like. The second, while not quite as strong a story still had that Marvel feel to it. There may have been two scenes in all of IM3 that I felt had that Marvel feel. It's kind of hard to explain but when I watch these movies, I can sometimes see a comic strip scene as if it were derived directly from a comic illustration. The Nolan Batman movies probably had more of these than any supe movie. That was missing for me for sure.

And I'm still not caught up in the whole "why does his armor keep breaking up" argument. JARVIS said the suit wasn't flight ready early on and I guess that (along with the notion of experimenting with the technology of lighter materials and a multi piece suit) was sufficient for me to believe this could occur with the Mark 42. And if forced Stark to return to his resourcefulness allowing his character to grow, which I think is good future thinking later movies.

All that being said.....I still very strongly question whether or not the whole thing was a dream sequence based on the coda. Just sayin.
post #376 of 437 Old 09-26-2013, 08:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I think the biggest weakness is the villian(s).
They didn't seem to be a threat a Marvel Superhero would involve himself with.
I guess the best way to say it is they didn't seem like Supervillians, and Superheroes must have Supervillians to battle with.

post #377 of 437 Old 09-26-2013, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Iron Man suits with Tony inside them don't fall apart because the suit pieces form fit Tony's body. The suit shown to fall apart in this movie was nothing more than the shell of a suit, with its individual pieces flying in formation to whatever place Tony was summoning them to. A force of sufficient magnitude (like a speeding Mack truck) could disrupt the FORMATION of the flying suit and scatter the pieces around. The pieces were not DESTROYED - but they were merely scattered away from their flying formation. The suit doesn't/didn't fall apart after it assembles itself around Tony's body. The other suits (drone suits) that showed up for the finale did not fall apart upon impact, because they were designed as structurally rigid armored suits.

WTF is so incomprehensible about this simple explanation for the shattering suit, I don't understand. All of this crap argument originated from that ridiculous fight scene from the Avengers where a mere mortal in a fancy suit stood up to and fought on equal footing with a DEMIGOD !! But people were clapping like giddy schoolgirls for that scene. rolleyes.gif There are other nits to pick about the movie, but the shattering armor is not one of them. For cheesesteak, let it go, Internet!!
post #378 of 437 Old 09-26-2013, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

*slow hand clap in quiet room*
post #379 of 437 Old 09-26-2013, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:

Iron Man suits with Tony inside them don't fall apart because the suit pieces form fit Tony's body. The suit shown to fall apart in this movie was nothing more than the shell of a suit, with its individual pieces flying in formation to whatever place Tony was summoning them to. A force of sufficient magnitude (like a speeding Mack truck) could disrupt the FORMATION of the flying suit and scatter the pieces around. The pieces were not DESTROYED - but they were merely scattered away from their flying formation. The suit doesn't/didn't fall apart after it assembles itself around Tony's body. The other suits (drone suits) that showed up for the finale did not fall apart upon impact, because they were designed as structurally rigid armored suits.

WTF is so incomprehensible about this simple explanation for the shattering suit, I don't understand. All of this crap argument originated from that ridiculous fight scene from the Avengers where a mere mortal in a fancy suit stood up to and fought on equal footing with a DEMIGOD !! But people were clapping like giddy schoolgirls for that scene. rolleyes.gif There are other nits to pick about the movie, but the shattering armor is not one of them. For cheesesteak, let it go, Internet!!
Maybe you need to let it go brah;)

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #380 of 437 Old 09-29-2013, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Have to agree...found this movie disappointing (in pretty much the same vein as Honest Trailer cites). I'm actually one of those oddballs that liked IM2, too.

I need your sweet love, Rosetta Stone girl!
post #381 of 437 Old 09-29-2013, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

What you said would make sense if we didn't see the suit without anyone in it successfully fight the "flame man" on airforce 1 without simply falling apart. Besides logically the suit would have to connect to itself otherwise all the force would be applied top Tony which would make the suite unusable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hanky View Post

Have to agree...found this movie disappointing (in pretty much the same vein as Honest Trailer cites). I'm actually one of those oddballs that liked IM2, too.

I think most liked Iron Man 2, it is more people where dissapointed. Iron Man 3 seems to be very divisive. I don't see many people who thought it was okay, it is either "it was great" or "what the hell".
post #382 of 437 Old 09-29-2013, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Yeah, but did they like it more than IM1? tongue.gif I think that is where I am the oddball on this one. wink.gif

I need your sweet love, Rosetta Stone girl!
post #383 of 437 Old 09-30-2013, 06:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hanky View Post

Yeah, but did they like it more than IM1? tongue.gif I think that is where I am the oddball on this one. wink.gif

I actually prefer IM 2 over IM 1.

Frank

post #384 of 437 Old 09-30-2013, 07:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
So do I.

tongue.gif
post #385 of 437 Old 09-30-2013, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 285
I like all 3, because I can't get tired of RDJ et Gwyneth! wink.gif ...In IM2 though, there's this lame moment where Mickey Rourke screams a laughable "Nooooo!" as his father dies....I wouldn't have missed that scene had they decided to cut it from the final film!
post #386 of 437 Old 09-30-2013, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

As for me, I like all three because I'm an Iron Man fan. I read a lot of the comics when I was young and enjoy the films now, which I'm sure RDJ has a lot to do with it but then again, I think the casting as a whole has been very good. But I do feel that IM3 was the weakest of the bunch in part because it didn't really go in a direction that I expected or would have preferred based on the previous two.

For starters, let's just face it, two good IM movies capped off by The Avengers. Kind of hard to top that. Where do you go with it all? Or more specifically, where do you go with it all AND make it pleasing to everyone? After that, IMO, RDJ (or the scripting) just wasn't as funny in IM3. I fully understand that storyline took on a bit of a different dynamic (attacking his home, Pepper and PTSD from New York) but it just wasn't quite Tony as I would expect him to be. And as I type I realize that I'm not saying funny as in comedic but rather funny because he's so arrogant and narcissistic that it comes across as funny. It works for the character (and actor for that matter) and it was just missing in large degree.

I also felt like the focus of the armor was not right. The first movie, it was new, fresh, exciting and bada$$! Then in IM2 it was modified and better, IMO, but limiting my few issues with IM2 to my topic, the worst part of that movie to me was the party scene when he was drunk wearing the armor. Not to say I don't get it and it didn't fit, fortunately the scene was short lived and tied into an action element at the end but I use that scene to set up part of my issue with IM3. And that's his casualness at time about the armor. Pepper comes home and it's sitting on the couch with it's legs crossed? After dragging it into the garage in Tennessee, he props if up like it's a person. There are a few more like this but these types of scenes turn the armor into a gimmick to me. It almost makes the armor no longer "cool", IMO. The Avengers you got a peek at it's underwater abilities. Cool. How he took it off walking along the platform. Very cool. Sit it on the couch and cross its legs? Now it's a step up from the robotic arm "Dummy". Maybe that's just me.

When I went to see IM3 at the theater I also did not like all the suits towards the end. I also didn't care for how Pepper's character was handled towards the end either. After viewing it at home, I seemed to not mind all the suits as much; although, I still don't care for how "easily" he can jump off a scaffold and get in one, but I better understood why all those suits existed. I still don't care for how Pepper's character was used at the end and how it was all cleaned up nice and neat at the end. I get it, you need that I guess but I just expected something stronger or more creative. But I'm no writer, director or producer so take that with a grain of salt.

One other thing I've been mulling over since seeing IM3 at the theater is if the superhero craze is waning. After considering Man of Steel and Wolverine (which I haven't seen, only heard and read about), it just makes me wonder if it's getting a little stale. As I've said before, I believe Thor is going to be a big tell for whether this is the case or not. Did we just get a "rough" stretch of movies? Or is it all changing?
post #387 of 437 Old 09-30-2013, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

One other thing I've been mulling over since seeing IM3 at the theater is if the superhero craze is waning. After considering Man of Steel and Wolverine (which I haven't seen, only heard and read about), it just makes me wonder if it's getting a little stale. As I've said before, I believe Thor is going to be a big tell for whether this is the case or not. Did we just get a "rough" stretch of movies? Or is it all changing?

I don't think it is. I think the issue is the overall quality has gone up in such films dramatically in the last 10 years that any misfire stands out notably more then it would have in the past. In terms of popularity Thor 2 has no chance of matching Iron Man especially given that he was the most minor 'major' character in The Avengers. In terms of Box Office we have three $1 billion comic book films in the last year and several other notable hits including Wolverine which surprised me to some degree given how poorly received the first wolverine and x-men 3 where (though maybe first class helped it out here). Whilst there are some misfires I think the overall quality of comic book films in recent years has been stellar (Kick-Ass 1 and to a lesser extent 2, Avengers, the Marvel films excluding Iron Man 3, Watchmen, X-men First Class, Christopher Nolans Batman Trillogy, all of which are superb films with some truly amazing in there as well).

Marvel really needs to have at least one home run and not just two "it was okay reactions" with the Thor and Captain America's sequels otherwise they could see business diminishing to where it was and undoing all the growth the Avengers film has helped in creating.
post #388 of 437 Old 09-30-2013, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

I really wanted to like IM2 but it did not have the depth to me of IM1. Everything in IM1 meant something, seemed more "real" and valid. IM2 was more of a typical summer blow stuff up movie. Which is fine unless they filter at 30hz. IM3 was too emo for me. Is fine to have the humanity, and in some ways was what made 1 better than 2, but as much as I like RDJ, I did not feel/believe the emo or that he could let himself be put in such a weak position at his house and then apparently has no resources but a kid and his garage? I didn't buy it. My wife loved it and said it was a definate buy and why hadn't I bought it yet? LOL, different strokes. Glad everyone else liked it and looking forward to Thor 2.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #389 of 437 Old 10-01-2013, 07:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I really wanted to like IM2 but it did not have the depth to me of IM1. Everything in IM1 meant something, seemed more "real" and valid. IM2 was more of a typical summer blow stuff up movie. Which is fine unless they filter at 30hz. IM3 was too emo for me. Is fine to have the humanity, and in some ways was what made 1 better than 2, but as much as I like RDJ, I did not feel/believe the emo or that he could let himself be put in such a weak position at his house and then apparently has no resources but a kid and his garage? I didn't buy it. My wife loved it and said it was a definate buy and why hadn't I bought it yet? LOL, different strokes. Glad everyone else liked it and looking forward to Thor 2.

What I liked about IM 2 was how RDJ father played more of a role ( even if it was a recorded video ) you get to see how he was like. Regarding 3 when i saw it in the theatre I hated it I was going in with very high expecations but watching it again on Blu ray I enjoyed it.

Frank

post #390 of 437 Old 10-01-2013, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 278
I watched IM3 last night and really liked it. It had way more humor than the first two, and I think that contributed to me liking it so much. All of these comic book movies are so serious, now to the point of boring me, that this was a nice change of pace. Maybe because the humor was so prevalent, I had no problem with the plausibility of anything.

RDJ makes it look so easy.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
Iron Man 3 Three Disc 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page