post #421 of 437 Old 10-03-2013, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post

I'm not sure the two are an apples to apples comparison. For the character that Bridges played, good but greedy corporate executive that had to wipe lil Tony's nose over the years I think was well fitted. Rourke was a premier scientist vetted on revenge. In the first one, Stark developed something that could make a lot of money but that's not what he wanted to do with it. In the second, everybody knew about it and wanted to challenge it. In the third, it was more about Tony dealing with being Iron Man on a long term basis. Saving the world from greedy and smart guys or a few militants with a few missiles is one thing. Saving the world from aliens and biogentic engineering is another. It's a matter of progressing the story.

Well said.

David Budo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 437 Old 10-04-2013, 12:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 157
smile.gif
Quote:

I'm not sure the two are an apples to apples comparison. For the character that Bridges played, good but greedy corporate executive that had to wipe lil Tony's nose over the years I think was well fitted. Rourke was a premier scientist vetted on revenge. In the first one, Stark developed something that could make a lot of money but that's not what he wanted to do with it. In the second, everybody knew about it and wanted to challenge it. In the third, it was more about Tony dealing with being Iron Man on a long term basis. Saving the world from greedy and smart guys or a few militants with a few missiles is one thing. Saving the world from aliens and biogentic engineering is another. It's a matter of progressing the story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbuudo07 View Post

Well said.
Indeed. smile.gif

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #423 of 437 Old 10-22-2013, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 303
I keep reading every now and then that Robert Downey Jr. will do Avengers 2 and 3 but "not" Iron Man 4. Do people really buy this crap? I mean nobody at Disney/Marvel has even confirmed an Iron Man 4, of course he hasn't signed for it! When the film is confirmed we'll know more... And I'm sure when the film is confirmed they'll talk to him... Will he do it is another story, but for now it's not that "he won't do it" it's that the film doesn't even exist yet. Oh well... smile.gif
post #424 of 437 Old 10-22-2013, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

I keep reading every now and then that Robert Downey Jr. will do Avengers 2 and 3 but "not" Iron Man 4. Do people really buy this crap? I mean nobody at Disney/Marvel has even confirmed an Iron Man 4, of course he hasn't signed for it! When the film is confirmed we'll know more... And I'm sure when the film is confirmed they'll talk to him... Will he do it is another story, but for now it's not that "he won't do it" it's that the film doesn't even exist yet. Oh well... smile.gif

I remember reading something along those lines and quickly dismissed it as a negotiating ploy. First off I acknowledge that the role may be getting stale to a degree for RDJ. There simply comes a point for many where it's time to move on regardless of the success. He is certainly a talented enough actor to make such a decision. Having said that, there is an awfully lot of money involved and what appears to be an awfully lot of fun for him making these movies. That being said, I think he holds more clout to say he'll do the Avengers and not IM4. The Avengers is an ensemble cast, which would make it easier to bring in a "look alike" so to speak and have him blend in the background or just write the script with somewhat limited IM screen time and having him never coming out of his suit. Just fly around and save the day kind of thing. They couldn't do that with IM4 because it's pretty much all or nothing. They either bring him back (if they green light the project) or go with a whole new actor.
post #425 of 437 Old 10-22-2013, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Avengers is an ensemble cast, which would make it easier to bring in a "look alike" so to speak and have him blend in the background or just write the script with somewhat limited IM screen time and having him never coming out of his suit. Just fly around and save the day kind of thing. They couldn't do that with IM4 because it's pretty much all or nothing. They either bring him back (if they green light the project) or go with a whole new actor.

Given that he has already signed for Avengers 2 and 3, he will still be Iron Man at least until 2019 (the year Avengers 3 is planned for release), I would be very surprised if IM4 doesn't come before that, and also very surprised if he's not in it. Having him in an Avengers movie and another actor in IM4 would be the silliest move imaginable.
post #426 of 437 Old 10-22-2013, 03:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 632
I just watched IM3. Very big movie. Kind of dumb. Didn't enjoy it as much as the first two. But how can Downey do another one after how this one ended?
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
He finally gets the shrapnel out of his chest, and thus the sooper-dooper power supply. All his suits have blown up after he "suicided" all the remote controlled ones. His house and lab are gone. He's not Iron Man anymore, right? Looks like he retired. I mean, he could un-retire I guess, but it looked like he was done. What am I missing here?
post #427 of 437 Old 10-22-2013, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 307
^^^

It's a movie.

Because he is still alive. Like soap operas, people die and then miraculously are brought back to life. Its called creative writing. wink.gif
post #428 of 437 Old 10-22-2013, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

I just watched IM3. Very big movie. Kind of dumb. Didn't enjoy it as much as the first two. But how can Downey do another one after how this one ended?

Because he said it himself: he *IS* Iron Man, goddammit! tongue.gif

...Obviously they'll find a way to get him back in the suit for Avengers 2, so we're fine... Besides, Stark is a billionaire with unlimited funds, he'll build another home, another lab and everything smile.gif
post #429 of 437 Old 10-22-2013, 04:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Well, if he un-retires, that means...
He'd have to put that sooper-dooper power supply thingie back in his chest, maybe the shrapnel too, I dunno. There would have to be a really good reason, like, saving the world or Pepper being in danger again. And they'd have to ask real nice.

And I wonder if Happy ever manages to get through 'Downton Abbey'? That would mean he's got super powers! Maybe they could make him an Avenger!
post #430 of 437 Old 10-23-2013, 12:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 997 Post(s)
Liked: 850
Quote:

But how can Downey do another one after how this one ended? Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
He's not Iron Man anymore, right?
Only if you think the suit, the shrapnel and the power supply are what makes Iron Man.

Seems the point that this particular movies was trying to make, and why they spent more screen time with Stark out of the suit than in the suit, is that even without those things, he still is a hero.

He still has Stark Tower, his East Coast residence we saw in Avengers, where he can come up a newer/better suit. He doesn't need the power supply for the suit to be built into his chest when it can be built into the suit itself. After 3 movies, the shrapnel working its way towards his heart is no longer needed to make him a sympathetic character.

It really wasn't the suit that made Iron Man, it was the fleshy thing inside. In the first movie, Tony Stark says "I am Iron Man". He always will be.
Besides, Downey is signed for the next two Avengers movies.
raaj likes this.

Sanjay
post #431 of 437 Old 10-23-2013, 05:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks to all who replied. Yeah, I know Iron Man will be back - he's a gorram franchise! tongue.gifWarning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
And he did tow the wreckage of Jarvis' robotic arm out on that trailer behind another supercar. But not having read any of the IM comics since I was barely out of swaddling clothes, I thought the power supply in his chest was a non-removable part of the canon, and that without it, he really couldn't wear the suit. Or live, for that matter. They glossed over that part of the film's resolution real quickly, and unsatisfying, to me.

But then we clearly saw the suits, and all the components within them, are all independently powered and self-guided now (remember when I said this one was "dumb"?) so I guess it doesn't matter anymore. *sigh* Another cherished childhood memory trashed.

Downey said on the shiny-disk extras that this one took two years to bring to the screen. One wonders if he wants to commit to another full-length IM feature, or if he'll just agree to don the suit again as part of these future Avengers ensembles...?
post #432 of 437 Old 10-23-2013, 11:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:

Downey said on the shiny-disk extras that this one took two years to bring to the screen. One wonders if he wants to commit to another full-length IM feature, or if he'll just agree to don the suit again as part of these future Avengers ensembles...?
Hard to say, but we do know he signed a big contract for future work with Disney.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #433 of 437 Old 04-06-2014, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Well, since I posted the Captain America jingle in that thread, had to post the old Iron Man jingle here, I still remember all the words also.....

Mike R,P.E. clickable DIY hot links:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #434 of 437 Old 04-07-2014, 10:11 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Well, now that this thread has been bumped and is right here...

This one didn't hold up well at all for me. Watched it yesterday and it just didn't work.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #435 of 437 Old 04-08-2014, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 26
For those of you who were disappointed by the character of the Mandarin in this movie, you may want to check out the extras on Thor: The Dark World. There's a Marvel One Shot short film built around the character that you may find intriguing.

I thought it was well worth watching, and added some new information and future plot developments.

Scott

post #436 of 437 Old 04-11-2014, 06:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

i might be one of the few - but I enjoyed this one

Dbuudo07 likes this.
post #437 of 437 Old 04-11-2014, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by boarder010 View Post

i might be one of the few - but I enjoyed this one

I'm with you. I enjoyed this one a lot and felt it was a worthy successor to the brilliant first part. The second part was just a blip (or a skid mark) on the road to IM3 and Avengers.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
Iron Man 3 Three Disc 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page