Iron Man 3 - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 437 Old 05-04-2013, 12:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Ok so just got out of the late show. I liked it but the twist was even beyond what I was expected based on a few more detailed but not entirely spoiled reviews I read. I didn't like it at first but then got back into the flow of the movie. Afterwards I was still feeling out how I felt about it until my wife suggested that the twist may not have been a twist after all. She made that suggestion thinking of future movies. Hmmmm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 437 Old 05-04-2013, 02:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I'm going to need a few sets of Iron Man armor this 4th of July....I hear you can buy them in bulk.

thread closed
post #183 of 437 Old 05-04-2013, 04:15 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Exactly why I was disappointed in waiting for him to get the next gen suit so to speak that was actually built for real battle and not smashed to pieces when hit by a semi. The suits blowing up made no sense, watch that bit in the trailer I thought for sure that JARVIS would have been somehow controlled by the villain and self destructing the suits. I kept waiting for the badass suit from Stark Tower (top three floors all R&D) to some into the picture. The throwaway suits were probably my biggest let down... in a way it reminded me of the confusing disappointment of Obiwan fighting Dooku in AOTC... he was almost unrecognizable from the awesomeness he displayed in fighting Darth Maul 10yrs earlier. Same thing here... the suits obviously had to trade off some significant strength and defensive power in order to function the way they did but you'd think at least somewhere he'd have something with the same or more offense/defense power as the Mark VII that was so badass in Avengers.
All that said it did not ruin the film for me and I still very much enjoyed it. None of my least favorite parts were as bad as a drunk iron man doing party tricks and house fight with Rhodes or some of the other cheeseball parts from IM2.

and thats fine, I enjoyed PT2 I really enjoyed it. Like I wrote on earlier posts I will see PT 3 when it hits blu again, who knows I might have a different opinion in my second viewing but I very much doubt it.

Bring on Thor 2

Frank
post #184 of 437 Old 05-04-2013, 08:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj View Post

I guess I see my superhero movies from a different angle. I find the person - the Tony Stark, the Bruce Wayne, the Peter Parker more compelling than the corresponding Iron Man, Batman, Spiderman roles. All the superhero stunts, supervillain antics, etc. are just the gravy in these kinds of movies. It is the personal struggles of "the man behind the mask" that interests me more. That is why I loved this installment more. I find that Tony Stark was in a much darker place in this movie, and hence his jokes have a more tragic vein - not necessarily meant to be a rip roaring comedy liners. Different strokes for different folks, obviously/
Quote:

That's a succinct analysis of why I loved Iron Man 3. My interest is not in Iron Man but in Tony Stark. Unlike the situation in Iron Man 2 where Tony's body was letting him down, this time Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
it was Tony's tech that was unexpectedly found wanting.
I liked that. I also liked how much of Tony's side-of-the-mouth black humor we were given. But then what do I know? I liked Captain America too.smile.gif
post #185 of 437 Old 05-04-2013, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 120
I don't know what is going on with myh laptop but this site is so slow for me right now that I haven't been able to read all of the posts. I did put a post out on the other thread for those who have seen the movie but I'll ask the question here. as well.
What if Kingsly's Mandarin was faking? After all the rings were from an alien race IIRC and one of their powers was mind control. Furthermore, why use Sir Ben Kingsly for this role if not developed more?
[\spoiler]

After the movie my wife pointed out the conversation about the "panic button" after she posed the question above. Also, I'm thinking about how this could develop throughout future Marvel movies.
post #186 of 437 Old 05-04-2013, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post

I don't know what is going on with myh laptop but this site is so slow for me right now that I haven't been able to read all of the posts. I did put a post out on the other thread for those who have seen the movie but I'll ask the question here. as well.
What if Kingsly's Mandarin was faking? After all the rings were from an alien race IIRC and one of their powers was mind control. Furthermore, why use Sir Ben Kingsly for this role if not developed more?
[\spoiler]

After the movie my wife pointed out the conversation about the "panic button" after she posed the question above. Also, I'm thinking about how this could develop throughout future Marvel movies.

I wondered about this too, but I didn't think about the button. Very interesting.

David Budo
post #187 of 437 Old 05-04-2013, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
This movie was fantastic!!, I thoroughly enjoyed it, there wasn't a dull moment, I was engrossed and the way through. Once again, Robert Downey Jr. was superb as the witty, funny Tony Stark/Iron man. Just, a fun entertaining summer movie. The theme of this movie is very reflective of today's time , I especially like when a popular movie attempts send you a message that some might over look. Iron Man 3 was just a quality, summer blocker buster movie, that is well done.
post #188 of 437 Old 05-04-2013, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 55
This would have been almost a blind buy for the 3D BR, but after seeing it, I would wait until it comes down to something like $14.99. That will be a very long wait, if ever. IMHO, Iron Man 3 is better than Iron Man 2, but not as good as the original Iron Man. However, if one is dazzled by special effects, then go for it.
post #189 of 437 Old 05-05-2013, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
I really enjoyed the movie, even with some of the plot holes. I recommend people wavering on seeing it just ignore the reviews and go.
post #190 of 437 Old 05-05-2013, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 14
How was the sound? LFE?
post #191 of 437 Old 05-05-2013, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 67
See I told you, this movie is so polarized with extreme loved it or hated it. IDK..it bugs the hell out of me why...why let a guy who's only directed 1 film prior to this and a weird non-action at that - Kiss kiss Bang bang. Which explains some of the fruit loops reactions of the Mandarin and odd things that transpired. Oh well, what you're gonna do..the politics and nepotism of Hollywood.
post #192 of 437 Old 05-05-2013, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post

How was the sound? LFE?

I saw it in IMAX and the LFE was very good.
post #193 of 437 Old 05-05-2013, 11:46 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

See I told you, this movie is so polarized with extreme loved it or hated it. IDK..it bugs the hell out of me why...why let a guy who's only directed 1 film prior to this and a weird non-action at that - Kiss kiss Bang bang. Which explains some of the fruit loops reactions of the Mandarin and odd things that transpired. Oh well, what you're gonna do..the politics and nepotism of Hollywood.

To make it simple for people ask them this. Did you watch the movie Battleship that came out last year and really liked it? If so then you will like Iron Man 3.
post #194 of 437 Old 05-05-2013, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Steffek View Post

To make it simple for people ask them this. Did you watch the movie Battleship that came out last year and really liked it? If so then you will like Iron Man 3.

I hated Battleship and I love IM3. No correlation between the two whatsoever.

David Budo
post #195 of 437 Old 05-05-2013, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:

Holy crapola...I seriously hope you're ain't serious with that bottom feeder comparison. Now that's hitting below the belt man. There's no way, Kiss Kiss bang bang or not it will be worth a rental. Damn it, with the 2nd one being so-so you would think they get someone equal or better than Favreua..AT LEAST. This ain't a way to treat a great franchise
post #196 of 437 Old 05-05-2013, 01:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Battleship was, according to the conventional wisdom, to which I subscribe, a legendarily awful film. Viewers didn't like it, 5.9 out of 10 stars according to IMDb voters, and the critics trashed it. In stark contrast, most viewers and a high percentage of the critics have liked Iron Man 3 a lot. I agree with that assessment too. In short, equating Iron Man 3 to Battleship makes about as much sense to me as would comparing it to Disaster Movie, which is regarded by many as the worst motion picture ever made.

NB: Given your hyperbole, I figured you wouldn't take it amiss if my response was equally over the top.smile.gif
post #197 of 437 Old 05-05-2013, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
LOL, someone finally pulled me into posting in one of these threads.
Quote:

Saw both, Neal are you actually comparing these two movies as equals? Battleship, the movie that grossed a total of 65 Million? The one that had Rihanna playing a Petty Officer? eek.gif

Regards,
John
post #198 of 437 Old 05-05-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Battleship was, according to the conventional wisdom, to which I subscribe, a legendarily awful film. Viewers didn't like it, 5.9 out of 10 stars according to IMDb voters, and the critics trashed it. In stark contrast, most viewers and a high percentage of the critics have liked Iron Man 3 a lot. I agree with that assessment too. In short, equating Iron Man 3 to Battleship makes about as much sense to me as would comparing it to Disaster Movie, which is regarded by many as the worst motion picture ever made.

NB: Given your hyperbole, I figured you wouldn't take it amiss if my response was equally over the top.smile.gif

Was that a pun? smile.gif

Regards,
John
post #199 of 437 Old 05-05-2013, 03:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dormie1360 View Post

Was that a pun? smile.gif

Nah, i'm not that smart. Wish I had thought of it though.smile.gif
post #200 of 437 Old 05-05-2013, 03:09 PM

Liked: 28
Quote:

Are you comparing the movies one to one or are you just comparing just the special effects? I will admit the SFX was pretty good in Battleship but it also proved that special effects alone do not make a good movie.
post #201 of 437 Old 05-05-2013, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 324
I saw it today. When I watch a "comic book movie", I don't watch it with a "so did they stay true to everything that happens in the books?" mindset, it's more like "does this movie work?". Comic books often take liberties with their own characters and story arcs, why would it be a problem in a movie? ...I know the characters, I know they did thake liberties with them but guess what, this movie just plain works. OTOH, the 3D was completely unnecessary (what a surprise!), I'll probably see it a second time and it's gonna be in 2D without a doubt. Ben Kinslgey was excellent, and at times hilarious, no need to say more. May I add that if it works, it's again, thanks to the amazing Robert Downey Jr. and his larger than life charisma. That's not to say the rest of the cast wasn't good of course. Iron Man 3 is never boring, it's at times funny, exciting, spectacular, or surprising, and a fitting 3rd chapter of this Tony Stark journey. Hopefully the next one will be with the same cast... I simply loved the film and look forward to seeing it again.
post #202 of 437 Old 05-05-2013, 03:43 PM

Iron Man 3 is a bad reviewed film. If you go to a place like IGN.com that gets paid to give something a good review, and you tend to believe reviews from places like that, then by all means stick up for the film. If you to http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1300854/reviews?ref_=tt_ov_rt where people actually talk about the film you will see most people hate it. The story makes no sense what so ever.

If you think how much a movie makes at the box office = how good a movie is please don't ever review films dormie1360.
post #203 of 437 Old 05-05-2013, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

Neal, prove that those reviews are "bought" with links to reputable sources. People say it's a well reviewed movie and you respond that the reviews are paid for.
Personally I think you're trolling.
post #204 of 437 Old 05-05-2013, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Iron Man 3 is a bad reviewed film. If you go to a place like IGN.com that gets paid to give something a good review, and you tend to believe reviews from places like that, then by all means stick up for the film. If you to http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1300854/reviews?ref_=tt_ov_rt where people actually talk about the film you will see most people hate it. The story makes no sense what so ever.

If you think how much a movie makes at the box office = how good a movie is please don't ever review films dormie1360.

I'm a critic and I've never received anything for a good review from a studio. Truth is, you sound like a man reaching deep into a bag of crap to make your ludicrous point.

David Budo
post #205 of 437 Old 05-05-2013, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandOG View Post

Neal, prove that those reviews are "bought" with links to reputable sources. People say it's a well reviewed movie and you respond that the reviews are paid for.
Personally I think you're trolling.

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&gs_rn=12&gs_ri=psy-ab&tok=5rB-H47ZU4NYuqUa4B-69A&cp=7&gs_id=q&xhr=t&q=ign+paid+reviews&es_nrs=true&pf=p&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&oq=ign+pai&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.45960087,d.dmQ&fp=5ebeced8323f36c9&biw=1920&bih=1105

was it that hard to do?
post #206 of 437 Old 05-05-2013, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbuudo07 View Post

I'm a critic and I've never received anything for a good review from a studio. Truth is, you sound like a man reaching deep into a bag of crap to make your ludicrous point.

Having looked at some of your reviews on your website, it is my choice to disagree with you, but then I don't put much stock in anyone's reviews, prior to actually seeing the film. If I want to see a film, I just see it and make up my own mind. I have no doubt that no one paid you for your reviews, so that is not an issue. Frankly, I will have no interest in ever reading any of your reviews.
post #207 of 437 Old 05-05-2013, 07:26 PM

Quote:

Hi Neal,

I think you know what I meant with the box office comment. You, I and most everyone else agrees Battleship was pretty awful. That's how a 200 million dollar movie can earn 65 million. Granted, box office isn't everything, but given that IM3 grossed over 175 million the first weekend in the US and Canada I don't think I'm going out on a limb in saying most would agree that IM3 is just a wee bit better than BS. rolleyes.gif I can tell you have some strong feelings about IM3. No problem.

Movies ARE, to a large extent, personal preferences.

Regards,
John
post #208 of 437 Old 05-05-2013, 09:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandOG View Post

I saw it in IMAX and the LFE was very good.

I saw it in IMAX with buttkickers!!! I said buttkickers!!! Shook me in my seat!!!biggrin.gif

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #209 of 437 Old 05-05-2013, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fookoo_2010 View Post

Having looked at some of your reviews on your website, it is my choice to disagree with you, but then I don't put much stock in anyone's reviews, prior to actually seeing the film. If I want to see a film, I just see it and make up my own mind. I have no doubt that no one paid you for your reviews, so that is not an issue. Frankly, I will have no interest in ever reading any of your reviews.

Cheers! biggrin.gif I forgot that old site was in my signature.

David Budo
post #210 of 437 Old 05-06-2013, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

+1
Also was it me or was there less AC/DC music in IM3?
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
Iron Man 3 Three Disc 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page