post #61 of 64 Old 06-04-2012, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge981 View Post

Been in the radio biz for 35+ years now. Pretty much seen it all. There was one study I came across years ago that said people adhere to that music that represented the happiest time of their lives. For many, that period was high school. Didn't surprise me. Many of my former high school alumni haven't gone past Woodstock in their musical ventures.

I'd agree with that one. Somewhat guilty, although I did listen to lots of different kinds of music in high school, but what got radio play definitely got a leg up on most...

PS  We also had great radio here in the bay area, even on AM, when I was in high school.  KSAN still lives through its influence... 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 64 Old 06-06-2012, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by sound dropouts View Post

Opeth would have been top of my list a couple years ago. They used to be my favorite band. Their older stuff is still top notch; their last few albums (after the masterpiece that was damnation/deliverance) have all declined in quality.

I completely agree. I love all of their albums from their first through Deliverance. Morningrise, My Arms Your Hearse, Still Live, Blackwater Park, and Deliverance are so amazing. Picking my favorite from those 5 albums is like a huge game of rock/paper/scissors, each album is better than the others (that makes no sense, but it's the only way I can describe how good they all are). A better analogy might be trying to pick a favorite child.

I got into the band right after Deliverance came out and fell in love with all those old albums. I waited patiently for Ghost Reveries and was disappointed. It's a very good album, but something was missing. Then Watershed came out and it's quality had slipped even further. Their new one doesn't do it for me at all. I did go see them live recently and Mikael didn't do any songs with death vocals so it was a big let down. However, his clean singing voice is spot on, I think he's one of those people that is pitch perfect, didn't miss a note all night.

Anyway, I'm not too bummed about Opeth taking a different path since I don't know of any other band that has 5 perfect (to me of course) albums.
post #63 of 64 Old 06-09-2012, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

It was a lot of fun and being at Davies Hall was a nice touch of class...even felt at age 55 like a youngster in the audience
Perhaps they're not at the top of their game compared to times I've seen many of them earlier in their careers but they still make damn good music.

We are indeed lucky here in the bay area. I remember when I was in high school and college and could go to several venues (bars really) in the city and see outstanding musicians just sittin' in a corner playing away...and a wide breadth of music...blues, rock, jazz all within a few blocks of each other. We had the happening comedy scene at one point, too.

When KKSF Smooth Jazz 103.7 left the Bay Area that was great downfall for music in this area.
post #64 of 64 Old 06-09-2012, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post

When KKSF Smooth Jazz 103.7 left the Bay Area that was great downfall for music in this area.

There was another short lived station I miss even more, that simply played bay area music of all sorts...but can't remember the call letters. Want to say this was about 15-20 years ago? KSAN I think was the best, though, really sucked when they went to the dark side (cheeseball CW....yuck).

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page