The Master -- PTA's latest - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 75 Old 05-21-2012, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Featuring the return of Joaquin Phoenix as well as Laura Dern, Amy Adams, and Philip Seymour Hoffman. First teaser released:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 75 Old 05-21-2012, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12
First reactions to the four minutes that were screened at Cannes.

http://cigsandredvines.blogspot.com/...e-screens.html
post #3 of 75 Old 05-21-2012, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 64
This trend with movie titles starting with "The" followed by one word has got to stop....just lazy and cheapens the movie. Other than that PTA still makes the best films. Magnolia is still his best and IMO pretty close to perfection.
post #4 of 75 Old 05-21-2012, 11:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 View Post

First reactions to the four minutes that were screened at Cannes.

http://cigsandredvines.blogspot.com/...e-screens.html

I love this line:
"Invited journalists were invited to Weinstein Company party showing off footage from "Django Unchained," "The Silver Linings Playbook" and most importantly, "The Master."

Seriously....Most Important?

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #5 of 75 Old 09-16-2012, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 102
70mm Screenings, location and dates..

The whole film was actually shot in 70mm.

Dates and cinemas that will show this in 70mm; http://cigsandredvines.blogspot.no/2012/08/the-master-us-international-release.html
post #6 of 75 Old 09-16-2012, 09:55 AM

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolscan View Post

70mm Screenings, location and dates..
The whole film was actually shot in 70mm.
Dates and cinemas that will show this in 70mm; http://cigsandredvines.blogspot.no/2012/08/the-master-us-international-release.html

LOL - not to nit pick but the film was shot in 65mm. The prints are 70mm.
post #7 of 75 Old 09-16-2012, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

'The Master' Breaks Art House Box Office Records
Quote:
"The Master" got off to a strong start at Friday's box office, grossing $242,127 for an impressive $48,425 per-screen average, according to The Hollywood Reporter. The take puts the film, inspired by the life of Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard, on pace to break art house records for opening weekend ticket revenue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

LOL - not to nit pick but the film was shot in 65mm. The prints are 70mm.
What else would you call what you are doing than nitpicking. biggrin.gif

So to save you from your nitpicking addiction, I should have said the film was shot for 70mm and is not a blow-up from 35mm? wink.gif

The common term has always been 70mm, even if the width of the image is 65mm, both when shooting and projection. (the extra 5mm is for audio track on the 70mm release print).
How many knows the difference between 65mm and 70mm, and how many would think that 65mm and 70mm are two different film types and start to ask why this film was not shot in 70mm? I think I just prevented the possibility of confusion in my post.

You see....I can nitpick too. tongue.gif
post #8 of 75 Old 09-16-2012, 03:20 PM

Quote:

'The Master' Breaks Art House Box Office Records
What else would you call what you are doing than nitpicking. biggrin.gif
So to save you from your nitpicking addiction, I should have said the film was shot for 70mm and is not a blow-up from 35mm? wink.gif
The common term has always been 70mm, even if the width of the image is 65mm, both when shooting and projection. (the extra 5mm is for audio track on the 70mm release print).
How many knows the difference between 65mm and 70mm, and how many would think that 65mm and 70mm are two different film types and start to ask why this film was not shot in 70mm? I think I just prevented the possibility of confusion in my post.
You see....I can nitpick too. tongue.gif

Oh - so you think we are all a bunch of noobs when it comes to large gauge films? rolleyes.gif

They shoot on 65mm film. They release prints on 70mm film. It's been that way for over 50 years. The only two exceptions were/are Showscan and IMAX
post #9 of 75 Old 09-16-2012, 08:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1006 Post(s)
Liked: 863
Quote:

The common term has always been 70mm, even if the width of the image is 65mm, both when shooting and projection.
Yup, hence names like Super Panavision 70 and Ultra Panavision 70 for shooting formats, even though the film going through the camera is 65mm wide (the image itself is 52mm wide).

Sanjay
post #10 of 75 Old 09-16-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

Yup, hence names like Super Panavision 70 and Ultra Panavision 70 for shooting formats, even though the film going through the camera is 65mm wide (the image itself is 52mm wide).

Right - so a movie is not "shot in 70mm" as coolscan claimed. It is RELEASED on 70mm film. It is shot on 65mm film as you have pointed out. That's what Super, Ultra Panavision 70 and Panavision Super 70 mean. Shoot on 65mm - release on 70mm. Panavision has nothing to do with the release prints, only the cameras that uses 65mm for the camera negative. They are not the only ones either. Arriflex has 65mm camera systems. They call it Arri 765.
post #11 of 75 Old 09-16-2012, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Saw this today at the Academy in 70MM (Datasat double system sound.)

Easily one of the best looking films I've ever seen.

Prints by Fotokem, IIRC.

As a side note, there was a Q&A afterwards with PTA and he said the 70MM print count was 16.
post #12 of 75 Old 09-16-2012, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

Saw this today at the Academy in 70MM (Datasat double system sound.)
Easily one of the best looking films I've ever seen.
Prints by Fotokem, IIRC.
As a side note, there was a Q&A afterwards with PTA and he said the 70MM print count was 16.

Isn't Fotokem one of the last labs that deals with 65/70mm?
post #13 of 75 Old 09-17-2012, 12:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

so a movie is not "shot in 70mm" as coolscan claimed
'Shot in 70' is the common term used, as coolscan pointed out. I guess neither he nor I feel the need to be tragically technical in this thread.

Sanjay
post #14 of 75 Old 09-17-2012, 12:45 AM

Quote:

'Shot in 70' is the common term used, as coolscan pointed out. I guess neither he nor I feel the need to be tragically technical in this thread.

LOL - guess what? Shot in 65mm is also a common term used. Only it's technically correct. You and coolscan are having trouble differentiating between marketing phrases and technical facts.

BTW, before Super and Ultra Panavision 70 there was . . . MGM's Camera 65. wink.gif
post #15 of 75 Old 09-17-2012, 12:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You and coolscan are having trouble differentiating between marketing phrases and technical facts.
Other way 'round. You can't separate commonly used terms from technical specs and, as I've pointed out in other threads, you project that inability onto others. Like the person who has to constantly point out that a hamburger contains no ham, while everyone else understands the difference between the name and the meat used.
Djyinn likes this.

Sanjay
post #16 of 75 Old 09-17-2012, 01:01 AM

Quote:

Other way 'round. You can't separate commonly used terms from technical specs and, as I've pointed out in other threads, you project that inability onto others. Like the person who has to constantly point out that a hamburger contains no ham, while everyone else understands the difference between the name and the meat used.

No - I was correct in my first statement. Robert Gottschalk excelled at marketing and the monikers he gave his company's products.

Words are . . interesting . . . right. The fact that we drive on a Parkway and park in a Driveway. If you thought your hamburger was clever - you don't hold a candle to that one. Better luck next time.
post #17 of 75 Old 09-17-2012, 01:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Robert Gottschalk accelled at marketing and the monikers he gave his company's products.
Which is why it became the commonly used term.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Films_shot_in_70mm

But rather than take my word for it, anyone can try doing a search at Wikipedia for "films shot in 65mm" and see the results (or lack there of) for themselves. Or even just do a search for "65mm film" and see where you get redirected to.

Sanjay
post #18 of 75 Old 09-17-2012, 01:24 AM

Quote:

Which is why it became the commonly used term.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Films_shot_in_70mm
But rather than take my word for it, anyone can try doing a search at Wikipedia for "films shot in 65mm" and see the results (or lack there of) for themselves. Or even just do a search for "65mm film" and see where you get redirected to.

Try Google instead:

Film-Tech Forum: Sequences of Inception shot in 65MM

Yes, "TRON" was filmed in 65mm

The Master in 65mm! - Cinematography.com

Samsara: Filming a 65mm visual epic on location across 25 ...

5 Perf 65 MM: The Ultimate Motion Picture Format Hollywood Should ...
post #19 of 75 Old 09-17-2012, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

I see that many have come on to my side supporting the use of the Common Term 70mm.

I am regretfully unable to let this go and resist the temtation to respond to Lee. tongue.gif
Quote:

Oh - so you think we are all a bunch of noobs when it comes to large gauge films? rolleyes.gif
Looks more like you have some inferiority complex. biggrin.gif But no,......I don't think everybody here are "noobs".

Many people come here only because they are interested in seeing movies, and are not always knowledgeable or much interested in the details in how films are made.

But after following film technology for many decades and had such discussions many time, I can with some authority say I have had some experience where people that are not into film tech. get confused.
Quote:
They shoot on 65mm film. They release prints on 70mm film. It's been that way for over 50 years. The only two exceptions were/are Showscan and IMAX
To be as "nitpicking" as you.....this is also not accurate. cool.gif

IMAX is shot on 65mm 15pref. film, with the commonly know term 15/70mm. Same film stock as "regular" 5perf. 65mm. The difference is that the IMAX film is fed horizontal through the camera and the projector.
Showscan is also using 65mm film stock.
Quote:

Try Google instead:
Film-Tech Forum: Sequences of Inception shot in 65MM
Yes, "TRON" was filmed in 65mm
The Master in 65mm! - Cinematography.com
Samsara: Filming a 65mm visual epic on location across 25 ...
5 Perf 65 MM: The Ultimate Motion Picture Format Hollywood Should ...
This doesn't prove much.
Before the internet, nobody was referring to the 70mm common film standard as 65mm film except does who shot the film.

So these bloggers/journalist that use the 65mm terminology might use it different reasons.
*Writers that describe the shooting process and want to be exact.
*Writers that want to "show off" their knowledge.
*Writers that are clueless, but has looked up Technical specs on a movie on IMDb.
etc. etc.

The two groups that in the last decade or so have championed a new 70mm standard like Super Vista Corp's Super Dimension-70™ (SDS-70™) doesn't call their system "65mm" but 70mm, even if they use 65mm negative stock. (don't remember the name of the other group).
Which again is as much proof as the result for those google search terms. wink.gif

Your first reaction to my post was Nitpicking.......or should we call it Pedantic or a matter of Semantics?......or even better?.......Dilettantish? biggrin.gif
At least in in reaction to my first post that was only about informing of screening of The Master in 70mm. wink.gif
post #20 of 75 Old 09-17-2012, 01:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Try Google instead:
Good idea. I would suggest that anyone interested try it and see the results for themselves.

Google search: films shot in 65mm

First hit is "List of 70mm films". The next half dozen results are about 'The Master'. That is, current events, but no list of films shot in 65mm. What if we specify "list" when searching?

Google search: list of films shot in 65mm

The first three hits use the term 70mm, clearly demonstrating that it is the more commonly used term.

Sanjay
post #21 of 75 Old 09-17-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:

Good idea. I would suggest that anyone interested try it and see the results for themselves.
Google search: films shot in 65mm
First hit is "List of 70mm films". The next half dozen results are about 'The Master'. That is, current events, but no list of films shot in 65mm. What if we specify "list" when searching?

The next 8 listing after films shot in 70mm reference "shot in 65mm" We can all see that. Can't you? If it was so common then why is it only 1 out of 9 listings on the page?
post #22 of 75 Old 09-17-2012, 01:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The next 8 listing after films shot in 70mm reference "shot in 65mm"
ALL those listings are about a single film (mostly 'The Master'). None of them are for films shot in 65mm, as the search term was looking for. So why doesn't that search term, even when you add "list of", result in a list of films shot in 65mm?

Even at Wikipedia, searching for films shot in 65mm yields the following result: "The page "Films shot in 65mm" does not exist. You can ask for it to be created, but consider checking the search results below to see whether the topic is already covered." That says it all.

Sanjay
post #23 of 75 Old 09-17-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:

ALL those listings are about a single film (mostly 'The Master').

LOL - well - that is what got this discussion started right?
post #24 of 75 Old 09-17-2012, 02:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 48
Saw it in 70mm. Incredible clarity, though there was an odd kind of strobing in bright whites towards the center of the screen.

Performances were insane. Oscar voters will likely split the vote though.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #25 of 75 Old 09-17-2012, 03:29 PM

Liked: 10
Does anyone know if any theater in the San Jose area will be showing The Master in 70mm? I remember the Winchester domes used to, or at least I think they did. According to the link above it appears a theater in Oakland will be showing it so I don't mind driving up there if I have to.
post #26 of 75 Old 09-17-2012, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyre View Post

Does anyone know if any theater in the San Jose area will be showing The Master in 70mm? I remember the Winchester domes used to, or at least I think they did. According to the link above it appears a theater in Oakland will be showing it so I don't mind driving up there if I have to.

This appears to be the theaters that will show the film in 70mm. Unknown if it is 100% correct:

http://www.in70mm.com/news/2012/the_master/premiere/index.htm
post #27 of 75 Old 09-18-2012, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 161
Lets give coolscan a break. We all understand what the 70mm format and even in the industry I hear them refer to it as shooting using 70mm even tho it's 65mm before audio strips are added. I wish there was theater near me that had 70mm capability. A true joy to see especially at a theater that abides to "film done right".

JBL Pro Cinema
post #28 of 75 Old 09-18-2012, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post

Lets give coolscan a break. 

Did you clear this with Lee?

post #29 of 75 Old 09-18-2012, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamian View Post

Did you clear this with Lee?

Of course not. Not disrespect meant toward him ever just being casual.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #30 of 75 Old 09-18-2012, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post

Of course not. Not disrespect meant toward him ever just being casual.
Sorry, should have put a smiley. Was just making funny.

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page