Sherlock - TV Series - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 05-25-2012, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I just finished Season 2 today and cannot wait for Season 3, assuming there is one. The ending has an excellent twist, as in S1 with the familiar adversary.

BTW, there were only 3 episodes in S2. I like the 1st and last but not so with the remake of Hounds of Baskerville. S1 was also great w/ 4.

I much prefer this version than Guy Ritchie's, though I also like but has too much theatrics and unrealistic action sequence.

Enjoy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-25-2012, 08:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbud0 View Post

I just finished Season 2 today and cannot wait for Season 3, assuming there is one. The ending has an excellent twist, as in S1 with the familiar adversary.

BTW, there were only 3 episodes in S2. I like the 1st and last but not so with the remake of Hounds of Baskerville. S1 was also great w/ 4.

I much prefer this version than Guy Ritchie's, though I also like but has too much theatrics and unrealistic action sequence.

Enjoy.

Couldn't agree with you more. Sherlock is now about my favorite TV show. Benedict Cumberbatch is terrific as Sherlock Holmes and Martin Freeman is nearly as good as Dr. Watson. I bought the Series 2 BDs from Amazon UK in March because Amazon US didn't have them yet. I thought the first episode of Series 2, A Scandal in Belgravia, was as good as any single episode of a TV show I have ever seen. The beautiful and sexy Lara Pulver as the beautiful and sexy professional dominatrix, Irene Adler, was a marvel.

There were only three episodes each in Series 1 and 2 but each episode runs 90 minutes. Thus, each is essentially a feature film.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-25-2012, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 131
right there with you guys. Check out the thread in HDTV program forum-not only do you get some good discussion, there's some good links listed too.

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #4 of 8 Old 05-26-2012, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 132
The finale was terrific. I was originally hesitant to watch these, as I really didn't relish Holmes in modern times, with computers, Twitter, cell phones, etc. And previous attempts to show Holmes in contempory trappings have always sucked. But since I wasn't a fan of "Holmes as Indiana Jones", I gave it a shot...and was very surprised. Doyle would have enthusiastically approved, I think. Cumberbatch not only nails it superbly, he's a star in the making."The Final Problem" may actually be the best Holmes adaptation I've ever seen!

post #5 of 8 Old 05-26-2012, 10:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

right there with you guys. Check out the thread in HDTV program forum-not only do you get some good discussion, there's some good links listed too.

Yeah, I found the other thread at about the time I found this one and have been posting there, too. Sherlock is great television and I am looking forward to the Series 3 BDs, which I will buy from Amazon UK the minute they become available.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-26-2012, 11:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I thought the UK BDs had the 50i issue that makes them unplayable here unless you have a player specifically capable of it. I know I had that problem with S1 that I ended up returning (already had it on DVD.)

Anyway, I agree, great TV show. I find the "Middle" episode in each of the seasons the weakest, although it's still better than most. Hounds of Baskerville I agree was probably the weakest overall, but still watchable just for the characters.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #7 of 8 Old 05-26-2012, 01:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

I thought the UK BDs had the 50i issue that makes them unplayable here unless you have a player specifically capable of it. I know I had that problem with S1 that I ended up returning (already had it on DVD.)

Anyway, I agree, great TV show. I find the "Middle" episode in each of the seasons the weakest, although it's still better than most. Hounds of Baskerville I agree was probably the weakest overall, but still watchable just for the characters.

There could indeed be a compatibility issue with the Sherlock BDs. Fortunately, though, I have an all region BD player, which plays any disc from anywhere. Consequently, I didn't have a problem with playing my Sherlock BDs.

As you say, none of the six episodes in Series 1 and 2 is bad, although some are better than others. I thought both A Scandal in Belgravia and The Reichenbach Fall in Series 2 were spectacular.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-26-2012, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

thanks

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
Closed Thread Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page