Les Miserables (2012) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 05-30-2012, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Just read this intriguing Grantland piece about the Les Miserables movie of the London and Broadway musical that is to be released in December. It stars Hugh Jackman as Jean Valjean, Russell Crowe as Javert, and Anne Hathaway as Fantine. It is directed by Tom Hooper who won the Best Director Oscar for The King's Speech. Although Jackman appears to be the only honest to goodness Broadway musical theater guy in the cast, Sasha Baron Cohen proved he can sing in Tim Burton's Sweeney Todd. Baron Cohen plays the sleazy innkeeper, Thénardier (Master of the House). Be sure to watch the trailer attached to the Grantland piece, you'll be glad you did. Although Anne Hathaway doesn't have a big voice, I thought her performance and Hooper's production of I Dreamed a Dream were wonderful. I am really looking forward to this film.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 12-31-2012, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 118
This film screams Oscar nominations and guessing how the Hollywood elite vote will likely take several home. It's already nominated for 4 Golden Globe Awards. I saw it yesterday with my wife and grown daughter. We went out of curiosity since we only knew the story from its reputation as a hugely successful Broadway musical based on the very long and famous book by Victor Hugo. Set in post-revolutionary France it deals with the rebellion and the French penal/justice system and the people caught up in it. The title loosely translates to The Miserable Ones.

All of that said, we did not enjoy it much. We have friends who are big fans of the play (much like gwsat) who convinced us it was worth seeing. At the risk of exposing the Joe Six-pack and uncultured part of my personality I will say that the film is a 157 minute butt numbing spectacle that I doubt I will ever watch again. It's genesis is as an opera but there is no operatic singing in this film, it's already been criticized on that point by people more knowledgeable than I. If you are a fan of the play by all means go, if you're on the fence wait for the video version, at least you'll be able to push pause and go to the bathroom or get another glass of wine (you'll need it).

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page