AVS Forum banner

You could choose to actually ENJOY movies again

3K views 110 replies 20 participants last post by  Morpheo 
#1 ·
I've been dabbling in the Prometheus thread, which will doubtless lead to re-opening some of Ridley Scott's other movie threads, like Blade Runner or the original Alien.

The Prometheus thread is classic AVS. Over 1000 posts before anybody has seen the movie. Everybody expounding over what THEY want the film to be, and making it clear how disappointed they will be if it's NOT what THEY want.

Too bad, so sad. People who are actually good enough at moviemaking that they don't even have to have a "real" job are the ones crafting these 2-hour slices of entertainment. By now, most of you should be aware that most likely EVERYBODY else who expresses a desire for what the much-anticipated movie SHOULD be is gonna be disappointed.

Not that I believe most of you, anyway. Somebody who takes the time to explain to me in 10+ pages of text how TRUELY BAD a movie like Avatar is, is - obviously and with no doubt whatsoever - a bigger fan of that movie than me.

Wallowing in your misery for page after page because you were disappointed yet again is one way of enjoying movies. However I would point out that there are far more rewarding ways. You could, for example, wait until you have seen a movie and THEN form an opinion. You might even try walking into a movie you don't know anything about, and being surprised.

It's called "The Critic's Disease". There are a few AVS members who review movies as a job. That's a horrible thing for a movie buff, because it's gonna ruin a good hobby. Instead of enjoying yourself all the time, you are forced to watch and even analyze and comment upon movies you would on your own, never see. The symptoms of the Critic's Disease in the acute phase is that your Editor edits your reviews a lot. That happens until he figures that he should be writing less and you should be writing more - then he cans you.

The problem here at AVS is we don't have Editors, only peers. We don't ever get canned. The Critic's Disease develops slower, because none of us are forced to see stuff we don't care to watch - but there is never a cure either, because we never get canned.

Allow me to suggest that simply awaiting the movie with no preconceptions, then enjoying what actually is shown on the screen, is a way to enjoy this hobby we share more.

See less See more
Reactions: Daman S
#2 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary McCoy  /t/1414944/you-could-choose-to-actually-enjoy-movies-again#post_22118720

The Prometheus thread is classic AVS. Over 1000 posts before anybody has seen the movie. Everybody expounding over what THEY want the film to be, and making it clear how disappointed they will be if it's NOT what THEY want.
I don't understand this post. If you go to a pizzeria, and you KNOW that you don't like, say, onions or anchovies on your pizza, but you get them anyway, how is it "unreasonable" not to like what was served? Where do you get this notion that one "has" to like what a director does? People are just as free to dislike something as they are to like it, no matter how much you imply otherwise.

#3 ·
When you go to a pizzeria, you order from the menu. You select a pizza that has ingredients you like, and avoid pizzas that contain ingredients you don't like. When you attend a movie, you select a genre you like (i.e. Science Fiction) and you avoid genres you don't like (Romance, Documentary, etc).

You COULD order a custom pizza with a unique set of ingredients, if you were willing to wait that long. You CANNOT order a custom movie, constructed to your personal taste. If you express the wish for such, especially in an online Forum read only by AVS members, you understand that you will be disappointed.

The essence of my suggestion was, you can in fact choose NOT to be disappointed, by not expressing a wish for a custom movie to your tastes. You are NOT, after all at a pizzaria or anywhere else that you have any degree of choice about movie plot elements. In this case, you can choose When you see the movie, Where you see the movie, Who you see it with, and Whether you see the 2D or the 3D version of the movie. But you can't pick anything about the plot. In fact, if you predetermine your like or dislike of the movie based on your personal set of desired plot elements, you will be disappointed in virtually every case.

You made a very apt choice of metaphors with the pizzaria. I suspect you did understand my point after all.

#4 ·
I agree RobertR. It's a strange and self-righteous-sounding OP.

There are people passionate about movies. That's great. And some movies have inspired in people a passion for decades. Great again. It makes them hopeful for more such great experiences. It's normal, human nature and nothing wrong with it. As for this: "Everybody expounding over what THEY want the film to be, and making it clear how disappointed they will be if it's NOT what THEY want."

Generally what people "wanted" was simply a good movie and a satisfying sci-fi experience. Most of the anticipatory posts in the Prometheus thread amounted to "I love sci-fi, and I love what Ridley Scott has done in the genre, so I really hope this movie turns out great - e.g. good story, good script, compelling characters etc." After which, it was reasonable for people to have opinions on whether it was as good as they hoped or not, what they liked, and what they found poor or disappointing. What in the world could possibly be wrong with that? To point out that things like the tension in a scene or involvement with characters was subverted when characters did things that were so illogical that it jarred the viewer's enjoyment is exactly how one evaluates a movie. There is a strange implication in the OP that the only valid response is to "sit back and enjoy what happens on screen" WHATEVER it is, irrespective of quality. As if negative opinions are to be ruled out.

I'm just not sure what the point is, other than "I liked the movie, others had issues with it, and I don't like seeing negative opinions about a movie I liked. And somehow this shows my attitude is better than those other people criticizing the movie."

As I mentioned in the Prometheus thread, I enjoyed the viewing experience overall and look forward to seeing it again. But that hardly means being blind to it's flaws, and I'm quite understanding of anyone who could not get past the amount of logical gaps and lazy script-writing/editing tendencies in the movie. My attitude is not "better" than someone who didn't like it.

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary McCoy  /t/1414944/you-could-choose-to-actually-enjoy-movies-again#post_22120566

When you go to a pizzeria, you order from the menu. You select a pizza that has ingredients you like, and avoid pizzas that contain ingredients you don't like. When you attend a movie, you select a genre you like (i.e. Science Fiction) and you avoid genres you don't like (Romance, Documentary, etc).

You COULD order a custom pizza with a unique set of ingredients, if you were willing to wait that long. You CANNOT order a custom movie, constructed to your personal taste. If you express the wish for such, especially in an online Forum read only by AVS members, you understand that you will be disappointed.

The essence of my suggestion was, you can in fact choose NOT to be disappointed, by not expressing a wish for a custom movie to your tastes. You are NOT, after all at a pizzeria or anywhere else that you have any degree of choice about movie plot elements. In this case, you can choose When you see the movie, Where you see the movie, Who you see it with, and Whether you see the 2D or the 3D version of the movie. But you can't pick anything about the plot. In fact, if you predetermine your like or dislike of the movie based on your personal set of desired plot elements, you will be disappointed in virtually every case.

You made a very apt choice of metaphors with the pizzeria. I suspect you did understand my point after all.

Gary you are mischaracterizing the nature of the anticipation and disappointment (for some) with the movie. Using the pizza analogy, it's not about asking for a pizza with only the specific ingredients one likes; it's simply about desiring Pizza-making with a certain level of QUALITY. As in "I hope the ingredients are fresh, I hope it is cooked well, I hope the pizza maker made the pizza with a quality eye for balance of flavors, etc" If you have a good cook, you can usually enjoy anything they give you. THAT is the type of anticipation, and analysis, most applied to Prometheus. "I love sci-fi, I love Ridley-Scott's world building, just give ma an experience I can get into." Everyone I know, or read, had that attitude and were willing to go were Scott took us, story and movie-wise, so long as it turned out to be made in a compelling, quality fashion.

The criticisms of Prometheus don't have to do so much with "Ridley didn't make the plot I wanted." It has to do with the basics, the QUALITY of the movie making in general - problems in logical coherence, problems in thin or illogical characters, and how people found these issues impacted their enjoyment or not of the movie. If you think all the Prometheus fans wanted a specific story and that is why they are disappointed, then you really don't get what is going on, or why people wrote what they did before it came out.

#6 ·
I don't know of anyone who expects a "custom" movie. I don't think even the most jaded AVSer will expect that. Those who want "custom" movies find a way to start making movies themselves. Everyone else isn't that passionate to see their own vision, they just want to watch something GOOD and for the movie to stay within the expected genre (unless it can skillfully skirt that, which is rare.) I know that's how I do it. I expect a certain level of quality, and I realize my opinion of quality differs, but that's how it is.

I honestly think Gary is trying to come up with reasons to invalidate the opinions of those who dislike the movies he likes. Just my take on some of his posts. He asks us to simply watch and enjoy the movies, and yet he seems to spend a lot of energy defending the ones he likes.

Sci-fi is a tough genre for any filmmaker, even the best. You have to hit all the basics of storytelling plus come up with a believable but unique world that isn't quite like our own. Pretty daunting, but I don't think the filmmakers should be given a pass just because it's sci-fi. Consequently, you may see criticism of it at times. You can ignore it, or respond to it, but saying the critics are "not enjoying the movie" just because they have some criticism IMO is unfair.

#7 ·
My main point was that many dozens of posters in the first 1000 posts had already decided - before anybody anywhere had seen any version of the movie - that they did or did not care for the plot elements, or the casting, or the concept of a prequel, or something else.

It's a free country. You can make up your mind that - because someting is not to your liking - the whole film is flawed. But I don't think you'll be happier thereby.

You could also make a deliberate decision to suspend judgement, and judge the movie on it's merit alone, after it's released.

Although it seems tame now, the "money shot" in the original Alien was the creature bursting out of a living man's chest. The rest of that movie, because of the pre-digital, man-in-a-rubber-suit special effects limitations, was a ghost movie, with the monster unseen. But like all ghost movies, the second viewing has 10% (or less) the impact of the first. Prometheus has layers in it that can be discussed at length for a long long time, as do other RS movies. Prometheus will stand up to multiple viewings. It's a better movie. It's very probably the best SF movie of 2012.

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary McCoy  /t/1414944/you-could-choose-to-actually-enjoy-movies-again#post_22120837

It's a free country. You can make up your mind that - because someting is not to your liking - the whole film is flawed. But I don't think you'll be happier thereby.

Sure: If you lower your standards enough you can be happy with any state of affairs. A car salesman could use this as an excuse for no matter how badly your car performs. "What, the paint is coming off immediately? It's getting 1/2 the mileage of your previous car? It's overheating continually? Only works on Sundays? Look, just relax. Sure you can have higher standards for your car, but I don't think you'll be happier thereby." Apparently it's better for everyone to lower standards so they can accept any crap and be happy? (Not that Prometheus is necessarily crap...but the logic of your post doesn't seem cogent).

Further, very, very few (if any) criticisms of Prometheus has said the "whole film" is flawed. Virtually everyone acknowledges things that impressed them about the film - typically the look, texture, cinematography, set design, and usually some of the acting such as Fassbender's "David." People have usually been quite specific about pinpointing flaws among the good.

I'm annoyed by your post because it has the same type of self-righteous tone I see all over the internet from people who think the film is excellent. That is: anyone who disagrees, who voices a negative opinion of the film, is just being needlessly cantankerous and a negative-Nelly, spoiled-sport. And that there is something more virtuous-of-attitude implied in the opinion of someone who loved the movie, accepting it "for what it was." And then inevitably this is based on raising straw-men about how people actually have discussed their expectations and reactions to the film. I'm just kind of sick of this.

Virtually every review both from professionals, blogs, forums etc tended to be from the viewpoint "I really, really wanted to LOVE this movie and was very hopeful." Everyone was hyped and wanted to give it the benefit of a doubt - not some agenda to dislike it. But the fact is a majority of viewers have found significant areas of disappointment in terms of how the movie sabotaged itself in some areas (even the positive reviews tend to identify many of the same issues as the negative reviews). We discuss this. It's how movie lovers discuss things.

I liked enough of it to want to see it again.

#9 ·
I enjoy movies when they are good. I do not enjoy movies when they suck. Prometheus sucked, and I did not enjoy it. It's as simple as that.

Gary seems to be advocating the "Turn off your brain" approach to watching movies, to not engage any critical faculties whatsoever and just let the bright images and loud sounds wash over you no matter how nonsensical and insultingly stupid they may be. Sorry, Gary, but I have a brain and I enjoy using it. Good movies stimulate my brain. Bad ones offend it. Prometheus deeply offended it.

Your mileage, as they say, may vary.

Reactions: IanRW
#10 ·
All I said, my whole point: Don't make up your mind BEFORE you see it.

And to the many, many of you who (judging solely by your complaining comments in this Forum) have not enjoyed any movie made by anyone since your teen years, maybe it's time to seek out a new hobby.

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary McCoy  /t/1414944/you-could-choose-to-actually-enjoy-movies-again#post_22121053

All I said, my whole point: Don't make up your mind BEFORE you see it.

But Gary: Who actually did that? Who is actually guilty of what you are trying to complain about? I can't think of anyone, including those in the AVS thread you reference, who didn't go in desiring to enjoy Prometheus. If you can not actually point to some portion of people exhibiting the behavior you are describing, and showing it to be unreasonable, then I see nothing but a strawman here from you.

You didn't even answer Josh's point that your recommendation seems to amount to just rendering ourselves uncritical, turning off our brains: "Allow me to suggest that simply awaiting the movie with no preconceptions, then enjoying what actually is shown on the screen, is a way to enjoy this hobby we share more." Well, sure, of course we ALL want to enjoy what is actually shown on the screen. But if it turns out to be a bad movie - that is it actually makes it hard to believe in anything happening in the story or care about anyone on screen etc - then it makes it harder to enjoy. Why SHOULD we enjoy WHATEVER happens on screen? Surely you don't really think we ought to turn our critical brains off. But when people explain why they didn't enjoy the movie, as you did, this becomes occasion for you to tell people they are being too critical.

You are making various statements and suggestions that don't seem drawn from how people are actually writing about the movie, and which don't make sense.

Or, perhaps our critical faculties are just getting in the way of our enjoying your post?

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary McCoy  /t/1414944/you-could-choose-to-actually-enjoy-movies-again#post_22121053

And to the many, many of you who (judging solely by your complaining comments in this Forum) have not enjoyed any movie made by anyone since your teen years, maybe it's time to seek out a new hobby.

I dunno, if you're getting all worked up by what other people think of a movie (and this isn't the first time this has happened), I don't think they're the ones that need the new hobby.

#13 ·
Hell, I can't determine if this is supreme narcissism, borderline mental retardation, or a drunken post similar to what I may do after enough time in front of a glass. If I see a movie that I had high hopes for (or no hopes at all), and it has all the plot lines, acting, and writing to make it resemble old wrinkled ass, I'm going to say as much. Aren't opinions and discussion (both pre and post film) still welcome here? If not it's going to get awfully boring.

#14 ·

Quote:

Where the hell does it logically follow that anyone who doesn't like Prometheus hasn't "enjoyed any movie made by anyone since his teen years"?? Exactly where did anyone say any such thing? You really are throwing out silly strawman arguments.

#15 ·
I've been around this Forum long enough to know who is always critical and who has never admitted to actually enjoying any of the films they have commented on. You all know who you are, and I don't need to name names - nor am I going to dish out personal criticism.

I happen to enjoy movies, even imperfect ones. I don't pick out a single flaw and condemn a 2-hour movie.

But honestly, look at the first 1000 posts in the Prometheus thread. The word "hypercritical" comes to mind. This is the Forum that frightens new members. If you guys enjoy watching movies, it's often difficult to discern that.

#16 ·
So you create a thread just so you can cast aspersions at unnamed people, who appear to be nothing more than strawmen you build to make yourself feel more enlightened?

This tone and "you know who you are" stuff allows you to spray out criticism indiscriminately, as if these people act as you describe, without having to back any of it up

by actually interacting with the people you are criticizing.

Doing this is not being taking the high road here and being diplomatic; rather, that is the route to portraying oneself as a self-righteous j-rk, to be frank. Best to ask directly I guess: Am I one of the persons you are talking about? Had you taken another tact, perhaps there would have been something more valuable or interesting to discuss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary McCoy  /t/1414944/you-could-choose-to-actually-enjoy-movies-again#post_22121748

IBut honestly, look at the first 1000 posts in the Prometheus thread. The word "hypercritical" comes to mind. This is the Forum that frightens new members. If you guys enjoy watching movies, it's often difficult to discern that.

Totally disagree. Virtually every post I look at in that thread comes from people clearly passionate about movies, and passionate about Ridley Scott's Alien (and some of the others in the series) as well. Your analysis seems wrong at every turn.

But then, you won't defend it by actually discussing particulars, so there's nothing left to discuss it seems.

#17 ·
FWIW, I think the ebb and flows of our threads are just fine.

Frankly, I like the spice.

If it was up to me (and sadly, it isn't
), it would be spicier.

The opinions of others interest me.

If folks want to form opinions of movies without seeing them first, IMO, it's simply a reflection of the modern American psyche.

For example, people constantly create opinions on "politics" without being in possession of The Facts...

Knowledge of a subject has become passé for many, "belief" is much more important today.

Kinda like what Steven Colbert calls "truthiness."

#18 ·
Well then, wallow in misery if it truly makes you feel better. I choose to enjoy movies.

#20 ·
I have not read a single post in the Prometheus thread, so I'm not commenting on anything that happened there. I am also not taking any sides here. But the OP touched on something that I have felt for quite some time (on this forum as well as in everyday interactions with people I know). There are some people that never seem to enjoy the movies they watch. Everything is the "worst movie ever". I have often wondered why they even watch movies at all if it always turns out to be such a horrible experience. I, for one, tend to enjoy movies, bad or not. There are some that I can't find redeeming qualities in, but most of the time I don't end up feeling like I wasted my time. Movies are supposed to be enjoyed. Once you find yourself not enjoying them anymore, it doesn't make sense to keep putting yourself through it. The bottom line is this, negative people LOVE to voice their opinions. Believe me, I work with a few of them and they are the most vocal people I have ever met.

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed  /t/1414944/you-could-choose-to-actually-enjoy-movies-again#post_22122955

Movies are supposed to be enjoyed. Once you find yourself not enjoying them anymore, it doesn't make sense to keep putting yourself through it.

I don't think anyone here doesn't enjoy movies in general, despite what Gary may say (and he was clearly touched off by criticism of a film in his favorite genre; I've yet to see him stick up for a rom-com or a biopic.) Movies in theory are supposed to be enjoyed, but some movies are clearly not doing us any favors in helping us to enjoy them.

It doesn't make sense to me to let bad movies have a pass. If I didn't like something, and felt motivated enough to put my opinion out there, I'm going to do it. It's not that I dislike movies, it's that I disliked THAT movie. And I think most of us here are the same. If we disliked movies in general, we wouldn't be on this site or watching them.

As for those people who seem to dislike everything (and I honestly don't think there are many here), then do what I do. Ignore them.

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed  /t/1414944/you-could-choose-to-actually-enjoy-movies-again#post_22122955

I, for one, tend to enjoy movies, bad or not.
You must have a fun time at restaurants: "I don't care if the steak was well done and dried out when I prefer it rare, and I don't care if the lettuce in the salad was wilted and the tomatoes were green, and I don't care if the potato was only half baked, I still enjoyed the meal".

#23 ·
The people commenting on movies in this forum are like a bunch of cranky old people. Nothing pleases them. Nothing is enough. Even those 50% of movies that are above average (note that phrase, it's a mathematical certainty) don't ever get a break, everything is just SO BAD that they can't be bothered to see it more than a few times and crank out 10+ pages of discussion.

Rank hipocrisy is what it is.

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR  /t/1414944/you-could-choose-to-actually-enjoy-movies-again#post_22123028

You must have a fun time at restaurants: "I don't care if the steak was well done and dried out when I prefer it rare, and I don't care if the lettuce in the salad was wilted and the tomatoes were green, and I don't care if the potato was only half baked, I still enjoyed the meal".

I should have known better than to get involved. Didn't I say that I wasn't taking sides???? I simply said that I enjoy movies and that the people that don't ever seem to be satisfied with a movie should consider a different hobby. I certainly wasn't singling anyone out in particular but there have been some people (that I can't recall by name) that really seem to enjoy sh*$$ing on other people's opinions when they don't like a movie. So, like I said, this is not a direct attack on anyone as I'm not aware of your posting habits. My wife and I just enjoy the experience of watching a movie. Firing up the theater, mixing some drinks and relaxing for a few hours. Some are good, some are bad and some are just not our type. But most of the time, we still have fun.

BTW, your restaurant analogy was weak, dude. If you have a personal deal with the OP, that's fine. Leave me out of it though.

Nothing like a personal attack against someone you'll never have to meet face to face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa  /t/1414944/you-could-choose-to-actually-enjoy-movies-again#post_22123015

I don't think anyone here doesn't enjoy movies in general, despite what Gary may say (and he was clearly touched off by criticism of a film in his favorite genre; I've yet to see him stick up for a rom-com or a biopic.) Movies in theory are supposed to be enjoyed, but some movies are clearly not doing us any favors in helping us to enjoy them.

It doesn't make sense to me to let bad movies have a pass. If I didn't like something, and felt motivated enough to put my opinion out there, I'm going to do it. It's not that I dislike movies, it's that I disliked THAT movie. And I think most of us here are the same. If we disliked movies in general, we wouldn't be on this site or watching them.

As for those people who seem to dislike everything (and I honestly don't think there are many here), then do what I do. Ignore them.

Most probably do enjoy movies as a whole. I didn't want to make it seem like I felt otherwise. I think its just the strong opinions (negative, mostly) that bother me. How many times do you see a thread that has a dozen people commenting about how much they love a certain movie and then someone's gotta piss on the parade and post something completely negative just to stir the pot. My question is why? There's really no need for that. Just hate the movie (or whatever it is) silently without spreading it around and directing at others. Unfortunately, that's what negative people do though. Misery absolutely adores company.

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed  /t/1414944/you-could-choose-to-actually-enjoy-movies-again#post_22123533

Didn't I say that I wasn't taking sides????

.... I think its just the strong opinions (negative, mostly) that bother me. How many times do you see a thread that has a dozen people commenting about how much they love a certain movie and then someone's gotta piss on the parade and post something completely negative just to stir the pot. My question is why? There's really no need for that. Just hate the movie (or whatever it is) silently without spreading it around and directing at others.
You claim you're not "taking sides", then you proceed to demand that anyone with an opinion contrary to yours not express that opinion. Sounds like anything but "open mindedness" on your part.

#26 ·
Read The Avengers thread. It had as least as long a running time before the film was released as the Promethius thread did, with as much preconceptions of what the film should be. Read the comments by all the "cranky old men" after the film was released and viewed...I'm guessing 99% of them are positively gushing about the film. with nary a negative word...Kinda refutes your major point...I can agree with some of your points but really you're spending way too much effort demeaning other members to convince yourself their opinion isn't as legit as yours.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.