post #91 of 99 Old 09-14-2012, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

I've tested Iron Man 2 on my Roku 2 XS, PS3, Sony BDP-S390 and Xbox 360 and they all play it in HD--the players clearly state that they're playing HD, both at start-up and on their stream status displays,
... yet the button on that HD version of the title's page at Amazon's site does not say "Resume". This may be because you can't stream the HD version of the title in that web player. If you press the "Watch Now" button it opens a pop-up which reads:

Thanks for verifying this.

So of the HD movies you have played, do the SD versions on the website say "Resume"? That's what I'm seeing here.

Living Room Home-Theater:
Epson 8350 1080p Projector (96") / Panasonic TH-46pz850u 46" 1080p Plasma TV
Onkyo TX-sr607 7.2 HDMI Audio/Video Amplifier/Receiver (630 watts)
Panasonic DMP-BD60 Blu-Ray Disc Player / Cisco 8742hdc DVR (TimeWarner)
Harmony 670 - Universal Remote / HTPC (XMBC/Win7-64) Media Server PC
Polk Audio Monitor Series II Speakers (Large 6.1 Matched Separates) / PSW505 12-Inch Sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 99 Old 09-14-2012, 05:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 953 Post(s)
Liked: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla1856 View Post

Thanks for verifying this.

You're welcome--I'd been playing with these recently because they don't show up as being HD w/5.1 sound on the Roku 2 (except for Iron Man 2). Turns out that even though the cover thumb and descriptions don't indicate it and the stream quality indicator doesn't indicate it when you start playing them (you get four balls but no "HD" logo), it actually plays HD w/DD5.1 sound. Still a bug, since many people will skip watching those if they see them browsing on the Roku who might have watched them had they known that they were HD w/5.1 sound, but it's not as serious a bug as I thought.
Quote:
So of the HD movies you have played, do the SD versions on the website say "Resume"? That's what I'm seeing here.

Yes, the Prime "Watch Now" buttons on the SD version of the titles pages say "Resume".

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #93 of 99 Old 09-18-2012, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for all of the great info!

I have amazon prime and I am thinking about getting rid of my netflix since I rarely use it.
After reading this thread it seems I should get a roku rather than a bp220 because I want surround sound.

The Panasonic* is on sale for $113 with $25 amazon credit at amazon.com:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00752R4PK/ref=pe_81330_25882590_pe_epc_dt2?t=slickdeals&tag=slickdeals

The roku xd is $70 refurb or $80 new shipped from roku.
The LT is $50 but only has 720p, but for streaming I feel that might be ok. (my projector is 720p as well)
This also means that I would have to keep my old dumb blu-ray player (that still works just fine).

What would you do? What should I do?
post #94 of 99 Old 01-23-2013, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
For free trial, I found Netflix Super HD at 1080p is the way to go with my 1080p projector, though I found the selections dated and they do rotate their libraries, e.g., Wrath of the Titans was on last year but is no longer available.

Amazon Prime is streaming at 720p. Their more current selections carry a fee of $1.99.

Do not watch much TV, so has little need for Hulu Plus. Not sure if it's at 1080p or 720p.

I'm using my Panny BDT-220 for Netflix with my PJ while Roku XDS to stream 1080p with my plasma. For $20, I'll go with the XD for the longer term. Got mine off eBay for less.
post #95 of 99 Old 03-14-2013, 09:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

You can't - at least not with your Panasonic 220. I've got the 210 model and indeed there is no way on the present UI to see the sound format before playing the movie either on Amazon Prime or Instant Video. You are forced to do your homework beforehand by using something like the TV and Movies Now website. But even here you wouldn't always get the information completely every time. The example you gave of Extraterrestrial if you searched for this on TV and Movies Now it would not give you the audio information either. You would have to follow the link to Amazon, click on the HD bar across the top and then on the following page scroll down to "Video Format Details" to finally see that it is 5.1+. However in a different search (for example the movie Eye See You) you see all the pertinent information for this movie. It shows it's available on both Amazon Prime and Netflix in 5.1. I usually keep my iPad in my HT room for just such a purpose.

I was extremely doubtful about your info that 5.1+ audio is coming thru Amazon Prime. I have run Amazon for almost a year thru a 2012 Panasonic 3D Blu-Ray 220 player and now a Panasonic 3D HDTV and there is no High Quality audio (HQ = Dolby Digital Plus 5.1+) available - period! Yet! And if you look over the latest Amazon Prime HD movie offering - The Hobbit - nowhere is there any reference to HQ audio.

Here's another example/proof - Falling Skies the tv series is one I have been watching via Amazon Prime and there is NO HQ audio on my Panny. It has nothing to do with the bandwidth because mine is running on average at about 10Mbps and other posters are running even faster but not getting HQ audio. Unfortunately, the lack of HQ audio is one of those very important facts that Amazon seems to prefer obscuring since they seem to be unwilling or unable to do HQ audio like NetFlix or Vudu. Some believe it’s the player manufacturer’s fault but I am leaning toward it being the provider’s choice. I have used Vudu once for their HD version of Hugo (excellent blu-ray-like quality) and Netflix all the time, and when Netflix shows it offers 5.1+ audio I get it! On another thread - www.avsforum.com/t/1311425/amazon-prime-instant-video/800_100 - I did find that apparently Panasonic units (as well as some other manufacturers) regardless of whether it is a Blu-ray player or Smart HDTV may not ‘currently’ offer HQ audio. I just ran Thor the 2011 movie on Amazon and it did NOT offer HQ audio whereas Netflix did offer Dolby Digital Plus 5.1+. HOWEVER the video stream on Amazon was full HD 1080p while Netflix's video was only 720p. Netflix's offering filled my Panasonic's HDTV screen while the Amazon full HD was letter-boxed.

So the choice for some is full HD video or HQ audio. Is Amazon more likely to work with Panasonic fixing the lack of HQ audio or for that matter NetFlix working with Panny so that Full HD is streamed? One poster believes that its up to the manufacturer's to figure it out. I am not convinced since both full HD video streaming AND HQ audio Dolby Digital Plus 5.1+ do work thru both of my Panasonic devices into my Yamaha receiver. The pressure should be put on both providers - Netflix & Amazon Prime to offer the same quality if the portal device in your home has that capability.

jef with a Yamaha AV Receiver HTR-5540, a Panasonic Blu Ray Player DMPBDT220 & a Panasonic 3D TCL42ET5 HDTV.

""Educate & inform the . . . people . . . They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty." --Thomas Jefferson, 1787."

post #96 of 99 Old 03-15-2013, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 137
I use a Roku to access Amazon Prime Video and it supports 5.1 Audio. My Panasonic BD 220 does as well. In the Panasonic you simply select the movie or TV program, and then when you get to the Play drop down go to the bottom of that list that says Audio and select that. You get the choice of 5.1 at that point. Perhaps you need to update your firmware.

Bobby 

post #97 of 99 Old 03-15-2013, 01:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post

I use a Roku to access Amazon Prime Video and it supports 5.1 Audio. My Panasonic BD 220 does as well. In the Panasonic you simply select the movie or TV program, and then when you get to the Play drop down go to the bottom of that list that says Audio and select that. You get the choice of 5.1 at that point. Perhaps you need to update your firmware.

You're making it sound as if the BDT220 supports 5.1 audio on the Amazon Instant Video titles which feature it, which is not true. The Netflix player on the BDT220 does, but not the Amazon player.

Thetau, as I think I've told you in some other thread, Amazon does not stream 1080p video at this time; it's all 720p.

post #98 of 99 Old 03-15-2013, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

You're making it sound as if the BDT220 supports 5.1 audio on the Amazon Instant Video titles which feature it, which is not true. The Netflix player on the BDT220 does, but not the Amazon player.

Thetau, as I think I've told you in some other thread, Amazon does not stream 1080p video at this time; it's all 720p.

Yes, you are correct. I was confusing Netflix. My Roku, on the other hand does have 5.1 on Amazon Prime. I just tested it....

Bobby 

post #99 of 99 Old 03-15-2013, 02:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post

Yes, you are correct. I was confusing Netflix. My Roku, on the other hand does have 5.1 on Amazon Prime. I just tested it....

I have a PS3, Roku 3, Roku 2 and Sony BDP-S390 all of which play 5.1 sound for Amazon titles which feature it. They all also support the Amazon Instant Video Watchlist, which the BDT220 does not.

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
Sony Bdp S580 Blu Ray Disc Player Black , Blu Ray Players , Playstation 3 160gb System , Tivo , Blu Ray Movies , Roku
Gear in this thread - S580 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page