Moonrise Kingdom - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 06-12-2012, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I can't believe no one has come up with a thread for this (if they have I must be doing something wrong with the search). This is an absolutely wonderful film from Wes Anderson, surely his best since Rushmore. I was about to give up on him (though Fantastic Mr. Fox was also fantastic). I was only so fond of The Royal Tenenbaums and didn't like The Life Aquatic at all, but this little coming-of-age film set in the mid-sixties really made my day, especially since I doubled up and saw it (and paid for it, too) right after seeing Prometheus.

It's relentlessly quirky, and some people will doubtlessly hate it, but Rotten Tomatoes gives it a very high score. I might go see it again, and will certainly buy it.

CW Hinkle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-12-2012, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood View Post

I was only so fond of The Royal Tenenbaums and didn't like The Life Aquatic at all, .

I'm on the same page as you here. Both of these films started out with good intentions and just fell apart at the end. What I saw in the trailers that will pull me to Moonrise was Bruce Willis. I almost didn't recognize him and he is usually pretty good outside of the action hero mold. I hope the film holds up through to the end.
post #3 of 13 Old 06-12-2012, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

What I saw in the trailers that will pull me to Moonrise was Bruce Willis. I almost didn't recognize him and he is usually pretty good outside of the action hero mold.

I've long thought that if Willis is willing to take a role that is a supporting character role he is invariably excellent. Make him act and he will.

CW Hinkle
post #4 of 13 Old 06-12-2012, 08:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 66
I like all his stuff pretty much. It speaks to me, so obviously we are on the same wavelength. I hadn't heard of this one but I'll check it out.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

post #5 of 13 Old 06-12-2012, 09:56 PM
KOA
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
post #6 of 13 Old 06-13-2012, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I remember now! I searched on "Moonlight Kingdom"! Maybe the two threads can be consolidated.

CW Hinkle
post #7 of 13 Old 07-09-2012, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
I saw this yesterday with my wife. The first thirty minutes might have you ready to walk out, but I enjoyed the rest of the movie once the premise was set. There were only a couple of scenes of out loud laughable material and two instances where I just sat there giggling at the silliness of the scene, but much of the movie did keep a smile on my face. . Don't expect to have continuous laugh out loud moments. It's not that type of movie. Most of it is very dry, accept the concept and take it in. There are also scenes where you have to scope out the whole frame in order to take in some of the not so obvious items. At the price of movies today, you may want to take this rather inconsistant movie in as a matinee or just wait for the rental. I do put it above the Royal Tenenbaums and The Life Aquatic.
post #8 of 13 Old 07-09-2012, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobg View Post

I saw this yesterday with my wife. The first thirty minutes might have you ready to walk out, but I enjoyed the rest of the movie once the premise was set. There were only a couple of scenes of out loud laughable material and two instances where I just sat there giggling at the silliness of the scene, but much of the movie did keep a smile on my face. . Don't expect to have continuous laugh out loud moments. It's not that type of movie. Most of it is very dry, accept the concept and take it in. There are also scenes where you have to scope out the whole frame in order to take in some of the not so obvious items. At the price of movies today, you may want to take this rather inconsistant movie in as a matinee or just wait for the rental. I do put it above the Royal Tenenbaums and The Life Aquatic.

my teenager and my sister went to see it yesterday and absolutely loved it.

if it's in the same league as tennenbaums that is, as nick cage would say, "high praise"

neflixis our nemesis
post #9 of 13 Old 12-12-2012, 10:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

if it's in the same league as tennenbaums that is, as nick cage would say, "high praise"
I am not sure if it is "in the same league...."

The first 3/4 of the film is slowly paced, fortunately it picks up some speed from the wedding scene onwards.

Although laced with the quirkiness we expect from the guy (like most of his other stuff), it is, for lack of a better word, charming.
For the greater part of the movie, I was smiling and curious as to how it would all turn out.

Like Jarmusch, Anderson is an acquired taste.
Both have a tendency to try too hard to be avant-garde fillmmakers and end up being a bit self-indulgent.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #10 of 13 Old 12-13-2012, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I am not sure if it is "in the same league...."
The first 3/4 of the film is slowly paced, fortunately it picks up some speed from the wedding scene onwards.
Although laced with the quirkiness we expect from the guy (like most of his other stuff), it is, for lack of a better word, charming.
For the greater part of the movie, I was smiling and curious as to how it would all turn out.
Like Jarmusch, Anderson is an acquired taste.
Both have a tendency to try too hard to be avant-garde fillmmakers and end up being a bit self-indulgent.

should win best original screenplay oscar, imho

really enjoyed watching it. saw it twice on br at home

neflixis our nemesis
post #11 of 13 Old 12-13-2012, 05:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

should win best original screenplay oscar, imho
Certainly is an "original screenplay;" I can't recall another like it.smile.gif

post #12 of 13 Old 12-15-2012, 02:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 66
I watched it last night. Not that I didn't like it, but I have to say that this is the first of his flicks that wasn't high up on my list. Probably I will put it back on my queue later and watch it again, since his stuff can be dependent on you being in the correct state of mind for that kind of material. But, based on my viewing last night, I wouldn't put it up there with Rushmore, The Royal Tenenbaums, The Darjeeling Limited, or The Life Aquatic, all of which I really like a lot.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

post #13 of 13 Old 12-15-2012, 04:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post

I watched it last night. Not that I didn't like it, but I have to say that this is the first of his flicks that wasn't high up on my list. Probably I will put it back on my queue later and watch it again, since his stuff can be dependent on you being in the correct state of mind for that kind of material. But, based on my viewing last night, I wouldn't put it up there with Rushmore, The Royal Tenenbaums, The Darjeeling Limited, or The Life Aquatic, all of which I really like a lot.
I would rank his top 3 as TRT, Rushmore, and MK (in that order).

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
Fantastic Mr Fox Three Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , The Royal Tenenbaums Criterion Collection Blu Ray , Rushmore The Criterion Collection
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page