Jurassic Park Discussion - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-17-2012, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've started going through the Jurassic Park films. I hardly ever remember seeing them, so I thought I should pay a visit.

Jurassic Park: Wow. This is not only a popcorn movie, but it's actually a really good movie at the same time. Everything about it is just...really good. The suspense, effects, characters, etc. John William's score is amazing and easily remembered. Even the "worst" effects in the movie are still pretty good by today's standards. The awesome animatronics and real physical effects constituted most of the film--and that's how it should be done. I love this movie.

So last night, I invite my girl over to watch Jurassic Park II. I went in with expectations that it's not as good as the first film.

Jurassic Park II: Ok...the movie works because it entertains but it's completely second rate. Gone is William's amazing primary theme. Gone is an original story (but a arguably a "forced" rehashed plot). Gone is Sam Neil. What it gained is an annoying lead actress. Well, maybe not entirely her fault, but her character annoyed me so much that I wanted her to get eaten by a T-rex. She doesn't care all all about her kid, she was frigging crazy, and she brought on some of the worst chick-drama ever in a movie. Not only this, but apparently she has a problem not telling her family that she is going far away to do dangerous research. The worst thing, is that she has a problem with hearing as noted by the first scene where she was introduced. How did she not hear them shout her name?The effects are still pretty good, but nothing new. The movie also seems a little longer than it needed to be and a little sloppy. The climax was also poor compared to the first. I probably don't care to see it again to be honest, though I would barely give it a pass recommendation. If Sara died by the end, then it would have gained more points for me. "Meh" is really what I'm left with in the end.

The question is, should I even watch the third?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2012, 06:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 59
The third returns Sam Neill, but pretty much rehashes the first film without the wonder of seeing the dinosaurs for the first time. There are a couple of cool sequences like the T-rex/spinosaurwhatiz fight, and a pretty funny sense of humor, but other than that it's a pretty straightforward action film with dinosaurs. I did find it more entertaining than Lost World, which was too self-indulgent for me.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
Old 06-18-2012, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Tulpa. I'll check out the third one. It doesn't take much to beat the second IMO.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 968 Post(s)
Liked: 827
The books are even better.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk 2

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Old 06-18-2012, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I love Crichton. Westworld rules!
Old 06-19-2012, 12:23 AM

Liked: 10
I like JP2 the least of the three. It jumped the shark for me when they returned to civilization. Plus, that one guy releasing all the caged dinosaurs in the camp. A noble idea in theory, but extremely dangerous to everybody's lives in reality. And he was a hero? I would have shot him for endangering everyone's lives. And taking the baby T Rex into their trailer to fix the broken leg with the parents around? It was obvious how dangerous this was. I can't stand movies whose major plot points hinge on people doing really stupid things that no sane person would do in real life.

JP1 was obviously the best, a quality movie by any measure, and one of the biggest blockbusters of all time. JP3 was just a pop corn flick, but a pretty good one. I liked it a lot more than the second one.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 33
2 and 3 suck. Not worth watching or buying.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I found Part III to be better than Part II. The chick in III was a annoying, but not near as bad as the crazy chick from Part II. They brought back the cool theme, even if just for a scene or two. Plus, Sam Neil. But yea, it's a popcorn flick, but it stays safe and isn't bad. Too much CGI and not enough anamatronics.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:45 AM

Liked: 10
How about a spinoff of Jurrasic Park called Jurrasic Fart?
Old 06-21-2012, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Huh! Um, yeah, sure Joe.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:29 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

The books are even better.
Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk 2

I agree. The books were more enjoyable especially for the second one.

Frank
Old 06-23-2012, 04:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Anyone hear anything lately about JP4?

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
Old 06-24-2012, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Anyone hear anything lately about JP4?
Found this at rottentomatoes news today...

And that right there leads us to another aging franchise that needs exactly that sort of jump start, as Jurassic Park nears its 20th anniversary next summer. So, yes, Universal Pictures has indeed hired Rick Jaffa and Amanda Silver to start work on a script for a fourth Jurassic Park feature film. There's really nothing else to report about what their script might entail: sequel, reboot or prequel is anyone's guess. The only thing that's known for sure is that Steven Spielberg (who directed the first two) will not be returning to direct, although he is still one of the franchise's executive producers.

And this came from Spielberg at comic con...

Steven Spielberg talked about "Jurassic Park 4" at Comic-Con 2011: "We have a story, I can happily announce right now. We have a writer... Hopefully, we'll be making 'Jurassic Park 4' in the near future. In the next two or three years."
Old 06-24-2012, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 47
LOVE JPIII; it's really a guilty-pleasure, but one of the best ever made. Spielberg said at the very outset he didn't want JP to turn into another overly-extended franchise that was Jaws. Maybe that's why IV is so long in coming. I still think he was bored with JP2. Otherwise, it could've been much better if it had his full attention. I still like it as is. Especially the music score.

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
Old 06-24-2012, 11:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 59
I think JPIII worked in that it didn't take itself too seriously. There were a lot of good jokes, like Sam Neill getting frustrated at the press conference over "the dinosaur incident in San Diego," the confusion over which island he was on in the first film (both of those were referencing that he wasn't in JPII), and the "Nobody move a muscle" gag.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
Old 06-24-2012, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Well, the only real problem with 3 IMO, is that the good doctor swears he'd never return. But again, he stupidly falls for a check with a bunch of zeros on it. Still a fun movie, though.

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
Old 06-24-2012, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post

Well, the only real problem with 3 IMO, is that the good doctor swears he'd never return. But again, he stupidly falls for a check with a bunch of zeros on it. Still a fun movie, though.

Its always a question of how many zeros.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

OK, the countdown begins for JP4: June 13, 2014

The dude who did Safety Not Guaranteed is directing:
http://www.eonline.com/news/397898/jurassic-park-4-gets-a-director-hint-it-s-not-steven-spielberg

Old 03-14-2013, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:

OK, the countdown begins for JP4: June 13, 2014

The dude who did Safety Not Guaranteed is directing:
http://www.eonline.com/news/397898/jurassic-park-4-gets-a-director-hint-it-s-not-steven-spielberg
After JP3 the only direction left is up.

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

Old 03-14-2013, 08:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

After JP3 the only direction left is up.
All I know is JP3 is better than its predecessor.wink.gif

Old 03-14-2013, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:

All I know is JP3 is better than its predecessor.wink.gif
On rare occasions we disagree my friend... next beer is on you wink.gif

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

Old 03-14-2013, 08:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

On rare occasions we disagree my friend... next beer is on you wink.gif
No problem.wink.gif

Old 03-15-2013, 12:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 33
The only good one was the first one. The other 2 suck !!!
Old 03-15-2013, 09:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 703
Who cares about the director? Who cares about plot? All I need is cool, state of the art CGI dinosaurs, preferably munching on a lawyer or two. What's not to love?
Old 03-15-2013, 01:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Who cares about the director? Who cares about plot? All I need is cool, state of the art CGI dinosaurs, preferably munching on a lawyer or two. What's not to love?
LOL.
I would add physicians to the menu.....and maybe an architect or 2.biggrin.gif

Old 03-15-2013, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Well the first JP is very well scripted and directed.

Can't really tell if people being sarcastic or not in threads like these. wink.gif
Old 05-09-2013, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Universal Puts 'Jurassic Park 4' on Hold

Seems again to be one of those frequent Hollywood mistakes where the studio set a opening date and starts production before they even have a script and a director.

One of the reasons so many Hollywood movies appear underdeveloped. because of the time-restrain of having to deliver a movie on deadline regardless of production delays or necessary time to create quality.

The Hobbit suffered from this with several delays that cut the original shooting schedule with several weeks, ending the final edit 2-3 days before the world premier in NZ. No time to fine-tune details or test the HFR in cinemas around the world.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolscan View Post

Universal Puts 'Jurassic Park 4' on Hold

Seems again to be one of those frequent Hollywood mistakes where the studio set a opening date and starts production before they even have a script and a director.

Its very strange how a multi million dollar production can start with out the most important element. Like building a car without a blueprint.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 206

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/exclusive-spoilers-awesome-details-on-the-story-and-concept-for-jurassic-park-iv

Exclusive (Spoilers): Awesome details on the story and concept for Jurassic Park IV!

With all the news about JURASSIC PARK 4 finally getting underway we've heard almost nothing about the story or concept of the film. Director Colin Trevorrow has teased a few things so far, including a trip back to Isla Nublar, the island where JURASSIC PARK originated in Steven Spielberg's 1993 film, as well as a "new dinosaur" that will make us "keep the lights on after you see this movie." And that's where the details end, minus the reveal of the new logo (above - which I think will eventually change). Well, today you're going to find out a lot more than you knew before, which will likely get you damned excited for the next installment.

Our trusted and reliable source has indicated the overall concept of the film, which sounds pretty great and meets up with Trevorrow saying his goal for the film is to "want people to feel like it's the last day of 6th grade again."

Hold onto your butts!

Jurassic Park 4 will be in 3D (apparently shot in the format, rather than post-converted). Casting has not yet begun for the film, so rumors of Bryce Dallas Howard, Sam Neill, etc. are not accurate (yet, anyway). The story breaks down like this:

JURASSIC PARK 4, set in present day Isla Nublar, is now an actual theme park, as originally intended by John Hammond in the first film. It garners 10 million visitors per year and is completely safe - until it's not. The park itself is described as very Sea World-esque and includes an area called the Isla Nublar Lagoon. That means underwater dino's for the first time. No indication of what kind, but there's concept art showing one of the aquatic dino's, as part of a show, jumping out of the lagoon and eating a strung up great white shark like it was a fish for a dolphin at sea world.

As part of a show, you ask? That's right, folks, this will feature "tamed" dino's. In fact, our source indicated that the usually menacing Velociraptors (which will finally be muzzled, along with the T-Rex - until they're not) will actually be used to help fight the threat, which begins in the form of a new dinosaur, not seen in any of the previous films (and not disclosed to us) shows to be much smarter than originally thought and is the main cause of havoc breaking out at the park.

So, to sum it all up, JURASSIC PARK 4 will take place back on Isla Nublar with a fully operational dinosaur theme park (I'm sure no expense was spared) that's both prosperous and safe, until a new dinosaur figures out a way to wreak havoc, causing the use of the now tamed Velociraptors (and T-Rex? Unclear) as a means to fighting the threat.

No details on human characters (new or returning) but I'm sure they'll play a big part in the grand scheme of things. Overall, this sounds like a kick ass way to go and a solid way to continue the story, while almost rebooting in a way. It sounds like screenwriters Rick Jaffa and Amanda Silver have nailed down a great concept for the 4th entry and I'm now officially excited to return to Jurassic Park.

JURASSIC PARK 4 (in 3D) is set to debut Summer 2015.

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror: 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008
Old 06-22-2013, 12:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 57
My friends and I had a game to name the most stupid plot element from JP2. The choices were almost endless. My favorite is the scene where the characters save the baby T-Rex and gently give it back to momma, or is it when the pissant little product-placement Mercedes SUV pulls the huge bus back up the cliff with spinning tires in the mud, or is it when the bad ol' monsters are located on the ship after eating the crew leaving body part strewn about and then miraculously manage to lock themselves back into the hold of the ship whereupon the idiot "hero's" again loose them on the town. What a mess. This thing gets a lower rating than "Snow White and the Three Stooges," and that should be flat impossible.

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Jurassic Park Ultimate Trilogy Blu Ray Digital Copy