Kristen Stewart, Cameron Diaz Make Bank as Forbes' Highest-Paid Actresses - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 59 Old 06-21-2012, 06:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

Meanwhile, we had hedge fund CEOs and Wall Street guys making ten times what those actors and sports stars made, using our 401ks to burn the entire economy to the ground and walked away rich as hell, and that doesn't even generate a 10th of the outrage.
That's because critical thinking is no longer a characteristic of the masses.

I know a guy who, just as he was going to retire, lost his 401k to those guys.
A little while after, he had a stroke, can no longer work and is now broke.
However, because of his embrace of a particular political POV, he defends their right to do it all over again by not supporting the necessary regulation to stop it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

In 2011 there was a list of most overpaid stars (i.e., lowest return on investment) from the same people that brought you the list that is the topic of this thread. For example: Drew Barrymore's films return 40 cents at the box office for every dollar she is paid (no joke). Eddie Murphy's films return $2.70 for every dollar he is paid.
http://www.forbes.com/pictures/mfl45hlff/hollywoods-most-overpaid-actors/
In 2009 they did the opposite list, looking at best bang for the dollar actors (total compensation of actors vs what their movies brought in). For example: Shia LaBeouf's movies bring in $160 for every dollar he is paid. Michael Cera's movies bring in $102 for every dollar he is paid.
http://www.forbes.com/2009/08/24/best-actors-for-the-buck-business-entertainment-payback.html
What people get paid rarely is logical.wink.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 59 Old 06-22-2012, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 109
You mean people are still getting paid? smile.gif
post #33 of 59 Old 06-22-2012, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Snow White and the Huntsman has made over $250 million in only 19 days, demonstrating she can carry a non-Twilight film sucessfully.

I don't think most movie goers went to see Snow White and the Huntsman for her and from the reviews that I've read Charlize Theron carried the film and was the only one worth watching.

This article is worthless because its scope of consideration is so limited due to they films they have recently released versus other actresses. Kristen Stewart can't come close to generating the buzz of a Paltrow, Kidman, Berry, Bullock or Witherspoon just to name a few. And as for Cameron Diaz, IMO, I'm not sure there's a more overrated actress in the biz both on talent and looks.

To play the conspiracy theory card, is there a way to find out who an actors agents are? I be willing to bet a milkshake these two actresses are represented by the same firm or possibly agent.
post #34 of 59 Old 06-22-2012, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Regarding agents back in the 1970s I knew a family who bought a vacation home and their next door neighbor was a well known character actor. Turns out the guy was kept busy because his agent was a gambler and kept him working to pay off his gambling debts. biggrin.gif
post #35 of 59 Old 06-22-2012, 01:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post

To play the conspiracy theory card, is there a way to find out who an actors agents are?

Sure. A quick google search will find that out. It's not like this is classified info, as agents are the way offers get to the stars.
Quote:
I be willing to bet a milkshake these two actresses are represented by the same firm or possibly agent.

Diaz is represented by CAA, agent Nick Styne.
http://famous-relationships.topsynergy.com/Cameron_Diaz/Contact.asp

Stewart is represented by the Gersh Agency, not sure who the actual agent is.
http://www.fanmail.biz/15763.html
http://www.stefansautographs.ch/StewartKristen.htm

Those sites are just a couple of examples. There are others. Feel free to contact either agency to confirm.

I'll take that milkshake now. smile.gif

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #36 of 59 Old 06-22-2012, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Haaa....What flavor? After I confirm that there is no affiliation between the two agencies wink.gif
post #37 of 59 Old 06-22-2012, 02:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Heh. Nah, they're competitors. Although you could probably find some artists who have been at both (at different times.)

And some agencies were started when dissatisfied (or ambitious) agents at one go off to form their own. CAA was formed with Ovitz and a couple of others left William Morris to make their own company.

post #38 of 59 Old 06-24-2012, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
I think it's sour grapes. Very few of us would say no when being thrown this kind of money, not me for sure.

"I'm easy but just ain't cheap."
post #39 of 59 Old 06-25-2012, 08:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 60
As a matter of principle, I don't believe in limiting other people's ability to contribute to my becoming rich. That's so classist.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

post #40 of 59 Old 07-04-2012, 02:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 549
The same magazine (Forbes) that put out the lists we've been discussing in this thread just compiled a list of the highest paid actors (male) based on last year's earnings.

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/mfl45khmg/tom-cruise-4/#gallerycontent

Tom Cruise tops at $75 million, followed by Leonardo DiCaprio and Adam Sandler(?), both tying at $37M. The Rock (Dwayne Johnson) comes in next at $36M and Ben Stiller rounds off the top five at $33M. Sasha Baron Cohen, Johnny Depp and Will Smith tie three-ways at $30M.

Sanjay
post #41 of 59 Old 07-04-2012, 02:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

and Adam Sandler(?), both tying at $37M.

Sandler's two major films in 2011 actually made quite a bit of money. They were savaged by the critics and picked up Razzies, but collectively they grossed about $350 million.

post #42 of 59 Old 07-06-2012, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:

Snow White and the Huntsman has made over $250 million in only 19 days, demonstrating she can carry a non-Twilight film sucessfully.
That is a horrible example and proves nothing. She maybe a nitwit on screen but she's no dummy ok. She picked Snow white because it's a long time classic famous cartoon that is already inherited gazzillion of followers of all ages. Anyone could have been casted as snow white and it wouldn't change box office #'s one bit as most came for the franchise name and Ms Theron.

Has anyone seen The Runaways???..exactly...
post #43 of 59 Old 07-06-2012, 10:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

That is a horrible example and proves nothing.
It's the perfect example to prove why she's at the top of the Forbes list.

Sanjay
post #44 of 59 Old 07-07-2012, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

WRONG again: Stewart just happens to be in the right place at the right time with the "already" popular Twilight book series. Once again, any girl could have been casted instead of Stewart for Twilight and in would have made no difference whatsoever,,,the rabid fan base would have lined up anyways just like the Harry potter fans.

And knowing that, she was smart in choosing to do Snow white, another already very popular classic franchise that could have worked with any hundreds of young actresses working today...take your pick...Stewart is not a terrible actress, she's just average at best with very limited range, and I'm being nice compared to what others think of her.
post #45 of 59 Old 07-07-2012, 03:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

she was smart in choosing to do Snow white
Yup, talented AND smart. She didn't get to the top of the list by accident.

Sanjay
post #46 of 59 Old 07-08-2012, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:

Yup, talented AND smart. She didn't get to the top of the list by accident.

I've always thought she's a talented actress and I sitll do. Twilight franchise doesn't count, these movies suck regardless.

@zoey career-wise she was at the right place at the right time for Twilight, since then she can pick her roles she gets offered without too much trouble I'd guess. Snow White is a commercial success it can only do more good to her. She got Snow White because of Twilight.
post #47 of 59 Old 07-08-2012, 11:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Stewart just happens to be in the right place at the right time .

Most successful careers in Hollywood hinge on being in the right place at the right time. Stewart's not unique in that regard.

post #48 of 59 Old 07-08-2012, 12:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Most successful careers in Hollywood hinge on being in the right place at the right time. Stewart's not unique in that regard.
+1

post #49 of 59 Old 07-08-2012, 12:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Luck does play a part. But after your lucky break, you need to keep picking sucessful movies to keep you going. There are plenty of good actors (e.g., Andy Garcia) that keep picking roles that no one sees, while other actors with, um, limited range (e.g., Keanu Reeves) have a knack for showing up in movies that do well at the box office. That keeps him out there and, more importantly, allows him to do lower profile films that may not have any sucess at the box office (My Own Private Idaho, Feeling Minnesota, The Gift, Even Cowgirls Get The Blues, Henry's Crime). Stewart is on a similar track, balancing 'Twilight' and 'Snow White' with 'The Runaways' and 'Welcome to the Rileys'.

Sanjay
post #50 of 59 Old 07-08-2012, 08:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

. But after your lucky break, you need to keep picking sucessful movies to keep you going. .

Which is more luck. tongue.gif

Yes, being smart about roles helps, but honestly, with the capriciousness of audiences and everything that can go wrong with a movie (Murphy's law is ALWAYS in effect), you can be the smartest actor in Hollywood and still pick the "wrong" movies.

I agree that picking on Stewart because she happened to be in Twilight is unfair. Daniel Radcliffe isn't an especially talented actor, but Harry Potter made him a name. Actors of all talent levels get all sorts of roles. It's just the way it is.

post #51 of 59 Old 07-08-2012, 09:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Another thing....
It's also a matter of WHO you know and WHO you're related to.wink.gif

post #52 of 59 Old 07-08-2012, 09:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Which is more luck.
You really think that actors like Harrison Ford, Tom Cruise, Denzel Washington, Tom Hanks, Julia Roberts, just got lucky over and over and over again?

Sanjay
post #53 of 59 Old 07-08-2012, 09:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You really think that actors like Harrison Ford, Tom Cruise, Denzel Washington, Tom Hanks, Julia Roberts, just got lucky over and over and over again?

To a degree, yes. I didn't say luck was the only thing. Look, there's no question they are talented and business savvy, but there are PLENTY of equally talented and business savvy actors who did not reach those lofty heights. There's nothing magical or superpowered about any of those actors that propelled them higher than some of their equally talented peers. And a lot of it is being in the right place at the right time, and moving to the NEXT right place at the right time, and so on.

That and people will go see their favorite actors over and over again, so the system becomes self-sustaining.

Again, I'm not saying that they aren't talented or didn't make really good decisions, clearly they did, but if that's all it took, it doesn't explain the people who fell from grace for making similar "good decisions" that in hindsight turned out to be a bad deal. There are way more talented actors than roles. The system is geared to make someone a superstar, but not everyone.

William Goldman said, "no one knows anything," and he meant that in Hollywood, everything is so out of control crazy that why something succeeds and something doesn't can't ever be foreseen reliably. So yes, a lot of it is luck.

post #54 of 59 Old 07-08-2012, 11:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

There's nothing magical or superpowered about any of those actors that propelled them higher than some of their equally talented peers.
Never thought there was, just an ability to recognize good roles. Not all actors are equal in this ability. There is a reason Denzel Washington and Cuba Gooding Jr. had such different careers after both won their supporting actor Oscars. We'll have to agree to disagree on this one; I can't see the kind of consistency and longevity that Hanks and Cruise have had being due mostly to luck.

Sanjay
post #55 of 59 Old 07-08-2012, 11:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Can't believe anyone would give Stewart or Johannson anymore than a few hundred dollars to "act" in their film. Adam Sandler hasn't been funny in a long time as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post

You mean people are still getting paid? smile.gif
Haha this, can't believe people drop $12 to see a movie, some every weekend and it's not like we have Citizen Kane being released now days or anything ......
Quote:

using our 401ks to burn the entire economy to the ground and walked away rich as hell, and that doesn't even generate a 10th of the outrage.
Occupy Wall-street? I don't see anyone rioting over actors salaries...

And yes luck is always involved, everybody needs to read "The Drunkard's Walk"

post #56 of 59 Old 07-09-2012, 06:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Never thought there was, just an ability to recognize good roles.

But even then, how can you tell how well the movie will do? You can't. Plenty of movies started out with "good roles" and ended up flopping over some other issue. And some of the superstars have turned down roles that made a lesser known actor into their own superstar (and probably cost the original superstar some money he could have earned.)

Again, though, I didn't say luck is the only thing (maybe in Keanu's case, because nothing else explains it. tongue.gif) Clearly they have a decent sense of picking the right roles, or at least a team of agents/managers that can. But Hollywood bodychecks you with just about every single issue, and has left a lot of really good actors' careers in shambles. The ones we see as lasting have had both luck and savvy to navigate a heckload of hurdles. Like I said, the system is set up for some superstars, but not everyone.

post #57 of 59 Old 07-09-2012, 07:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingcarcas View Post

Occupy Wall-street? I don't see anyone rioting over actors salaries...

Even Occupy Wall Street seems to be peeing in the ocean, compared to the vast majority who are indifferent. Plus, if you took a poll, I'd bet the majority of Americans would be more fixated on the salaries of actors they don't like rather than the hedge fund guys whose names they don't know.

post #58 of 59 Old 07-09-2012, 09:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Even Occupy Wall Street seems to be peeing in the ocean, compared to the vast majority who are indifferent. Plus, if you took a poll, I'd bet the majority of Americans would be more fixated on the salaries of actors they don't like rather than the hedge fund guys whose names they don't know.
Too true....I think I'll be in the brewpub a little early tonite....frown.gif

post #59 of 59 Old 07-10-2012, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

@zoey career-wise she was at the right place at the right time for Twilight, since then she can pick her roles she gets offered without too much trouble I'd guess. Snow White is a commercial success it can only do more good to her. She got Snow White because of Twilight.
I already said that, see post #44
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Twilight Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page