Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 102 Old 05-21-2013, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I rented this..

good movie....enjoyed it from beginning to end. My relative saw this in the theater and he rated this "a rental", so I was going into it with lowered expectations. I'm not familar with the Reacher character but I totally bought this take on it. It was a good blend of investigative thrilling and action.

Certified Ultra Professional AVS Special Member Class A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 102 Old 05-21-2013, 09:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I agree, like all things, it's a matter of personal preference.

For me, when ALL things are considered (reliability, speed, DVD PQ, price, audio, tweakability, firmware updates, etc.), Oppo is my current fav.wink.gif

Absolutely! What kind of a BD player one buys is a matter of personal preference. I don't think either PQ or AQ is affected very much, if at all, by the BD player playing the BD. I agree that the Oppo provides customer support, timely firmware updates, and flexibility that is unrivaled by any other BD player. Even the price ia all right when looked at in the correct light. I went cheap on my first all regions player, the LG from World-Import, which I have posted about before. The result of that was my having utterly wasted more than $200 because the player failed during warranty but World-Import couldn't fix it and wouldn't replace it. If I had bit the bullet and bought an Oppo in the first place I would have saved considerable money and even more heartburn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpdrive View Post

I rented this..

good movie....enjoyed it from beginning to end. My relative saw this in the theater and he rated this "a rental", so I was going into it with lowered expectations. I'm not familar with the Reacher character but I totally bought this take on it. It was a good blend of investigative thrilling and action.

I liked Jack Reacher a lot when I saw it in the theater. Still, I decided not to buy the BD. I just felt that as good as the film was, it wasn't quite good enough to convince me to buy it for my BD collection.
post #93 of 102 Old 05-21-2013, 09:31 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 264
I ended up watching it tonight, I really enjoyed this. It is a film I believe to watch only once ( maybe again in the next 3-5 years ) but its definitely a good rental.

Frank
post #94 of 102 Old 05-23-2013, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 41
+1 ^^^^^^^

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #95 of 102 Old 12-10-2013, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 324
It's a bit early to start a new thread, but a sequel is in the works! cool.gifcool.gifcool.gif

I enjoyed it quite much and thought a sequel was improbable, but apparently Tom Cruise sees it differently tongue.gif

"Tom Cruise is looking to make a sequel to Reacher, the 2012 thriller based on the books by Lee Child.
Paramount and Skydance Productions are reteaming to put another movie in development, this one based on Never Go Back.
Cruise, who would reprise his role as a former military police officer, and the companies are looking for writers to tackle the script. Christopher McQuarrie wrote and directed the first one but now is focused on Mission: Impossible 5."

Tom Cruise Developing another Jack Reacher Movie
post #96 of 102 Old 12-10-2013, 11:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

It's a bit early to start a new thread, but a sequel is in the works! cool.gifcool.gifcool.gif

I enjoyed it quite much and thought a sequel was improbable, but apparently Tom Cruise sees it differently tongue.gif

"Tom Cruise is looking to make a sequel to Reacher, the 2012 thriller based on the books by Lee Child.
Paramount and Skydance Productions are reteaming to put another movie in development, this one based on Never Go Back.
Cruise, who would reprise his role as a former military police officer, and the companies are looking for writers to tackle the script. Christopher McQuarrie wrote and directed the first one but now is focused on Mission: Impossible 5."

Tom Cruise Developing another Jack Reacher Movie

I recently caught Jack Reacher on HBO or Showtime and enjoyed it just as much as I had when I saw it in the theater, which is to say I enjoyed it a bunch. I think a sequel could work well. As noted in earlier posts, I thought that Tom Cruise turned out to be a surprisingly effective Jack Reacher.
post #97 of 102 Old 12-10-2013, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I recently caught Jack Reacher on HBO or Showtime and enjoyed it just as much as I had when I saw it in the theater, which is to say I enjoyed it a bunch. I think a sequel could work well. As noted in earlier posts, I thought that Tom Cruise turned out to be a surprisingly effective Jack Reacher.

Have to say this was one of my biggest surprises for 2013 movies. I don't dislike TC, but am not a huge fan either and the thought of him doing a Reacher role just did not make any sense.

But this was very enjoyable and the action was MUCH MORE believable than expected. Probably would still prefer a different lead but TC was very good in this.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #98 of 102 Old 12-10-2013, 12:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 818
TC is an excellent actor....only an idiot would say different.

IF it wasn't for the universal hatred for Scientology, he would be the brightest of stars.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #99 of 102 Old 12-10-2013, 02:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

Have to say this was one of my biggest surprises for 2013 movies. I don't dislike TC, but am not a huge fan either and the thought of him doing a Reacher role just did not make any sense.

But this was very enjoyable and the action was MUCH MORE believable than expected. Probably would still prefer a different lead but TC was very good in this.

Quote:

IF it wasn't for the universal hatred for Scientology, he would be the brightest of stars.

I come down somewhere between you guys. Although, with rare exceptions, I have never been much of a fan of Cruise's acting chops, he is a buff beefcake and a remarkable athlete. These traits make him almost automatically effective in action films, never more so than in Jack Reacher. When I first saw that little Tom had been cast as Jack Reacher, I looked for a wastebasket to throw up in. But then I saw the film and realized how much Cruise's athleticism added to his effectiveness. Also, contrary to my earlier and long held opinion, he is not a bad actor, only a predictable one, which in action films is often a good thing.
post #100 of 102 Old 12-10-2013, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Quote:

Agreed, TC is an excellent actor. He is not my favorite actor but nothing to do with his ability or personal life. Ever since Kobe I have put less emphasis on entertainers personal footprint. Athletes, actors... just entertainers. Lebron said it best when he lost their first NBA championship that at the end of the day he will fly off to his mansion and fans will have to get up the next day, whether their team won or lost, and go to work or go back to their signifigantly less important life. I place no more importance on TC other than the 2 hours I watch on bluray. Scientology, open marriages or whatever kooky stuff the stars are into doesn't make make any difference to me.

One of the things I liked about this movie was they acknowledged that he was not physically intimidating. The guys at the bar were not afraid to fight him. But it was also believable when he kicked their a$$. TC pulled it off and was surprising how much I liked him in this for the same reasons gwsat says, but the strength of this movie was the writing and over all competence of the production IMO.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #101 of 102 Old 12-10-2013, 03:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:

Agreed, TC is an excellent actor. He is not my favorite actor but nothing to do with his ability or personal life. Ever since Kobe I have put less emphasis on entertainers personal footprint. Athletes, actors... just entertainers. Lebron said it best when he lost their first NBA championship that at the end of the day he will fly off to his mansion and fans will have to get up the next day, whether their team won or lost, and go to work or go back to their signifigantly less important life. I place no more importance on TC other than the 2 hours I watch on bluray. Scientology, open marriages or whatever kooky stuff the stars are into doesn't make make any difference to me.

One of the things I liked about this movie was they acknowledged that he was not physically intimidating. The guys at the bar were not afraid to fight him. But it was also believable when he kicked their a$$. TC pulled it off and was surprising how much I liked him in this for the same reasons gwsat says, but the strength of this movie was the writing and over all competence of the production IMO.
Couldn't agree more.wink.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #102 of 102 Old 12-10-2013, 07:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

the strength of this movie was the writing and over all competence of the production IMO.

That's right! Christopher McQuarrie, who directed the film also wrote the screenplay. McQuarrie has won an Oscar for Best Screenplay, for The Usual Suspects, so the strength of his screenplay for Jack Reacher wasn't a surprise. He captured the flavor of Lee Child's writing and Cruise did a great job of portraying Reacher, his small size notwithstanding.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
Blu Ray Movies

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page