Trailer: Tom Cruise's "Jack Reacher" Thriller - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 102 Old 07-01-2012, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Since we can't talk enough about Cruise these days here's the 1st trailer of Jack Reacher, it's in Russian with Eng subs so you get a feeling what's its like. For me it doesn't look that great so far. It looks more rehashing of Collateral and Drive.

UPDATE: this is a better version, I'm sure Lwright will have a better official trailer soon. Btw ever since AVS launched the new site I can't use the old you tube parameters, is anyone else having the same problem and is there a new insert formula I would appreciate it.

This is the full you tube embedded code: http://youtu.be/6sgpnqjI1d8

This is what it should look like inside the brackets that has worked in the past but is not working now: [youtubeid]/sgpnqjI1d8[/youtubeid]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 102 Old 07-01-2012, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
OH OH . . .

Are you sure that is the Jack Reacher trailer? I don't recognize any of that from the book; ONE SHOT.

But I do see the cinematic technique of shooting up at Cruise to make him appear bigger then he is - more in line with Jack Reacher's 6' 5" stature. I suspect this will be used throughout the movie to appease JR fans. Works great until he stands next to anyone that isn't 12 years old.

rolleyes.gif
post #3 of 102 Old 07-01-2012, 07:45 AM

Lee Child's defense of selecting Tom Cruise to play Jack Reacher:
Quote:
Child said: "Reacher's size in the books is a metaphor for an unstoppable force, which Cruise portrays in his own way,"

Being a fanatic Jack Reacher/Lee Child fan I say . . . . BS! rolleyes.gif
post #4 of 102 Old 07-06-2012, 07:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Lee Child's defense of selecting Tom Cruise to play Jack Reacher:
Quote:
Child said: "Reacher's size in the books is a metaphor for an unstoppable force, which Cruise portrays in his own way,"
Being a fanatic Jack Reacher/Lee Child fan I say . . . . BS! rolleyes.gif
+1! Jack Reacher's height, bulk, and strength are the sine qua non of his character. Tiny Tom Cruise (5' 7" according to IMDb) is just too short for the job, his admitted muscularity and athleticism notwithstanding. Lee Child would have been better advised to have handled the question of the appropriateness of Tom Cruise for the Jack Reacher role similarly to how Tom Wolfe handled questions about the awful movie, Bonfire of the Vanities, which was based on Wolfe's terrific book of the same name. Wolfe simply answered questions about the film by smiling enigmatically and saying, "I cashed the check."smile.gif
post #5 of 102 Old 07-06-2012, 08:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
I think it was James M. Cain who, when asked about Hollywood "trashing his books" would reply "What are you talking about? My books are doing just fine. I walk into a bookstore, check the shelf, and it's the exact same book I wrote."

I've made the argument in the John Carter thread, but for Cruise playing Reacher, it's not that I'm doubting his action star status. I just don't see him in this particular role. I've never seen Cruise as an "unstoppable force." Quite the contrary, his characters are quite smart, cunning, and smooth. Reacher tends to solve a problem by beating the crap out of whoever is in his way.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #6 of 102 Old 07-12-2012, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Tom Cruise ≠ Jack Reacher

Watched the laughable (abominable?) trailer ...

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
post #7 of 102 Old 07-12-2012, 08:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distorted View Post

Tom Cruise ≠ Jack Reacher
Watched the laughable (abominable?) trailer ...
Do you mean to tell us that you can't see Jack Reacher as a 5' 7" pretty boy?smile.gif
post #8 of 102 Old 07-12-2012, 08:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Having no familiarity with the books, I'm more put off by the title than the casting. "Jack Reacher" sounds like a movie about a guy with long arms who's really good at reaching for jacks.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #9 of 102 Old 07-12-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Having no familiarity with the books, I'm more put off by the title than the casting. "Jack Reacher" sounds like a movie about a guy with long arms who's really good at reaching for jacks.

The title is appealing to Lee Child's loyal fans. He has published 16 Jack Reacher novels with the 17th coming Sept. 11, 2012 (Wanted Man) smile.gif
post #10 of 102 Old 07-12-2012, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:

Quote:

The title is appealing to Lee Child's loyal fans. He has published 16 Jack Reacher novels with the 17th coming Sept. 11, 2012 (Wanted Man) smile.gif

This sounds like an old John Carter thread wink.gif
post #11 of 102 Old 07-12-2012, 12:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
Quote:

The title is appealing to Lee Child's loyal fans.

That, and I think they're hedging their bets by having a ready franchise name in Reacher. Let's face it, the novels have fairly generic action genre names (Killing Floor, Running Blind, Tripwire, etc.), but assuming the first movie is a smash hit, adding Jack Reacher before them and any sequels suddenly market themselves.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #12 of 102 Old 07-12-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

The character John Carter is from 100 years ago. Jack Reacher is a contemporary character
post #13 of 102 Old 07-12-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

That, and I think they're hedging their bets by having a ready franchise name in Reacher. Let's face it, the novels have fairly generic action genre names (Killing Floor, Running Blind, Tripwire, etc.), but assuming the first movie is a smash hit, adding Jack Reacher before them and any sequels suddenly market themselves.

It also appeals to those that have read some, but not all of Child's books. They know who Jack Reacher is - they may not know that One Shot was a Jack Reacher book which the movie is based on (though looking at that trailer you scratch your head).
post #14 of 102 Old 07-12-2012, 07:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

Good point. The John Carter film held no interest for me because I was unfamiliar with the John Carter character. In stark contrast, I have read all of Lee Child's Jack Reacher books as well as his other works. Child's Jack Reacher should be a fertile field for moviemakers but I just can't get my mind around Tom Cruise in the role. On the other hand, the moviemakers are no doubt betting that most of their audience will see the film because of Tom Cruise's presence and know little or nothing about the literary version of Jack Reacher.
post #15 of 102 Old 07-12-2012, 09:34 PM

Did you know . . .

Lee Child's real name is Jim Grant

Quote:
Origin of his name

Author Lee Child revealed the origin of Jack Reacher's name in a video clip[1]: while unemployed and midway through writing the first novel with the character as yet unnamed, he visited his local supermarket with his wife. An elderly lady approached him and asked him to reach an item off a high shelf for her. His wife commented: "Hey if this writing thing doesn't work out, you can be a reacher in a supermarket."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Reacher
post #16 of 102 Old 07-13-2012, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The character John Carter is from 100 years ago. Jack Reacher is a contemporary character

I was just joking about the fact that the film title doesn't say a lot, like John Carter, to those unfamiliar with the story, like Josh and you pointed out.
post #17 of 102 Old 07-13-2012, 07:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Did you know . . .
Lee Child's real name is Jim Grant
Quote:
Origin of his name
Author Lee Child revealed the origin of Jack Reacher's name in a video clip[1]: while unemployed and midway through writing the first novel with the character as yet unnamed, he visited his local supermarket with his wife. An elderly lady approached him and asked him to reach an item off a high shelf for her. His wife commented: "Hey if this writing thing doesn't work out, you can be a reacher in a supermarket."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Reacher
I did know that 'Lee Child" was Jim Grant's nom de plume. Did you know that Jim Grant is a Brit? I was amazed to learn that because his writing seems quintessentially American. His wife is a New Yorker, though, so maybe they speak American at home.smile.gif
post #18 of 102 Old 07-13-2012, 11:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Quote:

Yeah, I get it. It's still a lame title.

I have a pet peeve about movies that are just titled after a fictional character's name: 'Jack', 'Eddie', 'Dave', 'Michael Clayton', etc. Unless it's a bio-pic about a real historical figure ('Patton', and so forth), the title tells you absolutely nothing about what the movie is. Who the heck is this Michael Clayton guy and why should I care?

This is just a lazy device for when a screenwriter can't think of a decent title. "Uh, well, what's the character's name? Fred? Good enough. The movie will be called Fred!"

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #19 of 102 Old 07-13-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:

Yeah, I get it. It's still a lame title.
I have a pet peeve about movies that are just titled after a fictional character's name: 'Jack', 'Eddie', 'Dave', 'Michael Clayton', etc. Unless it's a bio-pic about a real historical figure ('Patton', and so forth), the title tells you absolutely nothing about what the movie is. Who the heck is this Michael Clayton guy and why should I care?
This is just a lazy device for when a screenwriter can't think of a decent title. "Uh, well, what's the character's name? Fred? Good enough. The movie will be called Fred!"

The original title was to be the book's title; ONE SHOT. But that was changed to JACK REACHER
Quote:
According to THR, Paramount has changed the title One Shot to the simple Jack Reacher, which as you might guess is the name of the character Cruise plays. We had a hint of this news a few weeks ago, but the confirmation has only come to us today. Reacher is the central figure in a series of novels by Lee Childs, and though the upcoming movie is based entirely on the book One Shot restricting the title to just the character's name gives them a lot more options for a franchise. Just think of all the awkward hoops studio have jumped through to get franchise titles like The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn- Part 1 (based on a book just called Breaking Dawn), or The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (same deal). Now the Jack Reacher sequels could bear the relatively simple titles like Jack Reacher: Echo Burning or Jack Reacher: Worth Dying For. We're probably saving ourselves a lot of punctuation headaches down the line.
post #20 of 102 Old 07-14-2012, 01:17 AM
AVS Special Member

The quintessence of Child's Reacher (he is always called by his last name only) character is that he is an intimidating 6'4" mound of bar-clearing, ex-MP major, muscle. How does that fit with Cruise, whom I otherwise like as an actor when cast right? The trailor, which is unrecognizable from the book One Shot, even apparently sandwiches in Reacher rat racing around in a car, something the character would never do. Somehow, I just can't wrap my mind around Cruise bumming around the country with the clothes on his back and a toothbrush in his pocket thumping bad guys.

This film has all the promise of finishing off Reacher as thoroughly as Baldwin finished off the great fictional dectective, Dave Robicheaux, of James Lee Burke.

post #21 of 102 Old 07-14-2012, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
The problem is Cruise is the biggetst movie star in the world, and can pretty much get whatever roles he wants, regardless of whether or not he's right for the part. Jmo, but for every role he's played that he's suited for, there's another one he's hoplessly miscast in.

XBL GT: deathpallie
post #22 of 102 Old 07-14-2012, 07:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distorted View Post

This film has all the promise of finishing off Reacher as thoroughly as Baldwin finished off the great fictional dectective, Dave Robicheaux, of James Lee Burke.
Although I am as pessimistic as you about the prospects of tiny Tom Cruise successfully playing gigantic Jack Reacher, I think that the failure of Heaven's Prisoners, starring Alec Baldwin as Dave Robicheaux, had far less to do with Baldwin having been miscast in the role than it did with the difficulty of anybody playing James Lee Burke's Dave Robicheaux in a film. Robicheaux is a depressive recovering alcoholic who in many ways is not a very appealing fellow. I have always attributed my fascination with the character as mostly being owed to James Lee Burke's lyrical prose. Keep in mind that even the marvelously talented Tommy Lee Jones' performance as Robicheaux couldn't save In the Electric Mist.
post #23 of 102 Old 07-14-2012, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 183

I was totally unfamiliar with the premise and source material. Trailer looks alright to me.
And in response to the OP, this is how the code worked out (without the spaces) when I used the video button in the reply page.
[ VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v9mtaMotF4[/VIDEO ]
post #24 of 102 Old 07-14-2012, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

...I thinks that the failure of Heaven's Prisoners, starring Alec Baldwin as Dave Robicheaux, had far less to do with Baldwin having been miscast in the role than it did with the difficulty of anybody playing James Lee Burke's Dave Robicheaux in a film...

Impossible to wedge in those wonderful metaphors Burke dots into his prose, but Child's books rely more on the male reader empathizing with Reacher rather than relishing the word-craft, which is way short of Burk's, I think, while the females, like my wife, just like the manly man doing manly man stuff. The ladies can still enjoy Cruise for being Cruise, but the guys are not gonna buy their end, I don' t think.

post #25 of 102 Old 10-18-2012, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

A second trailer is up...

...I like it.
post #26 of 102 Old 10-18-2012, 02:08 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:

They need to call it Jack Reacheround.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #27 of 102 Old 10-18-2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:

Imagine what you could say about the new 'Alex Cross' named movie. biggrin.gif
post #28 of 102 Old 10-18-2012, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Casting the little runt known as Tom Cruise for the Jack Reacher role is a joke. I read all the books to date, and the Jack Reacher character is 6' -5" tall and weighs 250 lbs.
post #29 of 102 Old 10-19-2012, 12:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post

Casting the little runt known as Tom Cruise for the Jack Reacher role is a joke. I read all the books to date, and the Jack Reacher character is 6' -5" tall and weighs 250 lbs.
Are you saying anyone who ISN'T 6'5'' and 250 lbs. can't play the part?eek.gif

Excuse me, but WTF difference does it make how short, tall, skinny, fat, black, white, brown, pretty, ugly, color of eyes, bowlegged, etc. an actor is?
I was under the impression the most important consideration is ACTING SKILLS....

This comes up again and again on this forum....rolleyes.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #30 of 102 Old 10-19-2012, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Excuse me, but WTF difference does it make how short, tall, skinny, fat, black, white, brown, pretty, ugly, color of eyes, bowlegged, etc. an actor is?
I was under the impression the most important consideration is ACTING SKILLS....

Some characters like historical characters is greatly help by the actor having some physical resemblance to the characters they play. However acting skills in combination with different effects and tricks can create a pretty good illusion.

Hey they even managed to make Elijah Wood look 5cm shorter in Lord of the Rings.

Good movies are as rare as an on topic discussion.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
Blu Ray Movies

User Tag List