HELP!! Can't think of movie title - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 07-02-2012, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hi, this is my first time posting in this part of the AVS Forum.

There's an action/thriller film whose title I've been trying to remember or find out, off and on for several years now, and I'm about ready to give up. But before doing that I thought I'd try here.

Several years ago I was away on a business trip, and when I got back to my hotel room I turned on the TV and started surfing the channels. This particular movie had just started, and it looked very interesting but it was very late, so I made a mental note to check the title when I got home. Big mistake! I could not find it, and because all I can remember is a snippet of the plot, the Internet hasn't been much help.

Here's what I recall of the movie. It was on TNT (or TBS). At or near the beginning, a prominent political figure (either the U.S. president or maybe the vice-president) is giving a speech before thousands gathered in an open plaza. There is a particular agent (could be Secret Service, FBI, police detective, military???), played by an African-American actor, who is watching the event. All of a sudden, a shot (or shots) rings out and the politician is hit (not sure if he was killed).

For some reason, the agent realizes at once that he's going to be blamed for the attempt, and an exciting action sequence starts where he's running and evading his pursuers through streets and buildings.

That's all I can remember (I had to get to bed).

Does anybody have a clue as to what movie this might be? I've looked on the Web and in IMDB using search terms such as "assassination," "agent framed," "agent falsely accused" and the like, but I have never found anything that gives a description that sounds right. I'm pretty sure the film came out sometime between 1990 and 2006.

Here's hoping you can help to take care of this mini-obsession (and so that we can put it on our Netflix queue).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 07-02-2012, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Didn't see it but I recall previews like that. Could it be Vantage Point:

See http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0443274/

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
post #3 of 17 Old 07-02-2012, 10:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 80
That's what it sounds like. If the running involved starting the sequence over and over again from different perspectives, that would be it. Really good movie and a very interesting way to present a mystery.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

post #4 of 17 Old 07-02-2012, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion. I checked it out on the IMDB.

What's throwing me is that in the snippet I saw the African-American guy was running FROM a bunch of pursuers, while according to the description for "Vantage Point" he's the one doing the chasing. Also, this one came out in '08 and I'm pretty sure it was 2005 and positive that it was no later than '06 when I saw the one I'm thinking of.

But I'll put Vantage Point on the Netflix anyway, it does sound interesting! cool.gif

Any other ideas?
post #5 of 17 Old 07-03-2012, 01:24 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 692 Post(s)
Liked: 908
Most Wanted?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119709/

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #6 of 17 Old 07-03-2012, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
For some reason The Manchurian Candidate sticks out in my mind and Vantage Point. Even if the movie is not Vantage point I think you will enjoy it.

Always Up for a Good Zombie Flick
post #7 of 17 Old 07-03-2012, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Nope, that's not it either (Most Wanted). In the movie I saw, the politician who got shot was a man.

Aaaagghhh -- this is driving me nuts!!
post #8 of 17 Old 07-03-2012, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Shooter. But Mark Walburg was the lead and it had Danny Glover in it.

Now im curious and scouring the internet

Always Up for a Good Zombie Flick
post #9 of 17 Old 07-03-2012, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCableMan View Post

Shooter. But Mark Walburg was the lead and it had Danny Glover in it.
Now im curious and scouring the internet

Hope you have better luck than I did!
post #10 of 17 Old 07-03-2012, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Wow....that's a pretty broad stroke. Can you guesstimate the decade of the movie? Was the african american actor younger, middle-aged, older? Popular looking? Seemingly the lead or co-lead actor?

Man...next time you're on a business trip, don't drink so much so you can remember more details. What you're doing here is cruel and unusual to us movie fans becasue we're all gonna be racking our brains now!
post #11 of 17 Old 07-03-2012, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 330
The Art of War II: Betrayal
Wesley Snipes

Agent Neil Shaw is called out of retirement and finds himself in the midst of a plot to assassinate several leading Senators with himself set-up to take the rap for a recent killing.
post #12 of 17 Old 07-03-2012, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post

Wow....that's a pretty broad stroke. Can you guesstimate the decade of the movie? Was the african american actor younger, middle-aged, older? Popular looking? Seemingly the lead or co-lead actor?
Man...next time you're on a business trip, don't drink so much so you can remember more details. What you're doing here is cruel and unusual to us movie fans becasue we're all gonna be racking our brains now!
LOL, sorry about that! wink.gif

My best guess for when the movie came out is 1995-2005. The black actor -- I'd say he was about in his thirties. He's a known actor, but I don't think he was one of the best known, otherwise I probably would remember who it was.

Since I only saw about ten minutes, I'm not sure if he was the lead (or co-lead) -- but he sure seemed to be the focus of the movie, at least in that part of it.
post #13 of 17 Old 07-03-2012, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Gonna go with Act of War II as well. The popularity of the actor is what I'm trying to key on and based on your response that he's known but not one of the best really segments the list to B listers because surely an A lister would be stick out in your mind more. Let us know if this one isn't it.
post #14 of 17 Old 07-17-2012, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

Finally found it -- it was Vantage Point. The Blu-ray came in and we saw it over the weekend.

The not-so-well known black actor was Richard T. Jones, who played Holden, one of the Secret Service agents. He looked and was dressed exactly as I remembered, but he was the one doing the chasing so I didn't get that part right. And the movie was more recent than I realized -- I thought I was done traveling for business in 2007, but this came out in '08.

But as soon as I saw the plaza, and the building in the background behind the president, I knew this is the movie I was thinking about.

The film is even better than I thought. It's one of the few ever that's literally had me on the edge of my seat! It was so intense, we were exhausted at the end of it.

Thanks to everyone who pitched in with suggestions. I'll be putting them on our Netflix queue. wink.gif
post #15 of 17 Old 07-17-2012, 10:24 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked: 366
So...what was the motivation of the chief bad guy? What cause was he committed to?

-Bill
post #16 of 17 Old 07-17-2012, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

It was a terrorist plot -- the story is set during an international anti-terrorism summit.

I won' t give any more plot details, lest I ruin it for someone reading this who hasn't seen the movie. smile.gif

All I'll say is that there seem to be almost as many surprise twists and turns as in a whole season of "24."
post #17 of 17 Old 07-17-2012, 11:12 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked: 366
I think he was partners with the Secret Service chief in AIR FORCE ONE. He had no motive either.

-Bill
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Vantage Point Bd Live Blu Ray , Shooter Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Shooter by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page