AVS Forum banner
9K views 186 replies 45 participants last post by  Tulpa 
#1 ·
#153 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1  /t/1418943/ryan-reynolds-may-be-the-new-batman/150#post_22361326

It always makes me sad when alcohol doesn't treat a friend well. I die a little..inside.
NO fair making a post on this forum that causes a fellow AVS "Imbiber" to giggle uncontrollably after midnight and waking his wife....

#156 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1  /t/1418943/ryan-reynolds-may-be-the-new-batman/150#post_23614054

The next Batman will be like the Spiderman reboot with that wimpy guy. Doesn't hold up and no one really cares about it now.

Except that wimpy guy is a much more convincing Peter Parker/Spidey than Maguire ever was. In Raimi's films, Maguire has no screen presence, his Peter Parker often comes across as an idiot. Andrew Garfield plays it differently and it works way better.

#157 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo  /t/1418943/ryan-reynolds-may-be-the-new-batman/150#post_23620260

Except that wimpy guy is a much more convincing Peter Parker/Spidey than Maguire ever was. In Raimi's films, Maguire has no screen presence, his Peter Parker often comes across as an idiot. Andrew Garfield plays it differently and it works way better.

The more I watch The Amazing Spiderman the more I agree with this. My first viewing I was so so about it. But it's been on broadcast a lot and I've had it on while working around the house and whatnot, so I've (more or less) seen it 3-4 times and your "idiot" comment seems about right in comparison. I like Maguire's Spidey and still think it's good (the first one anyway) but Garfield's I agree works much better. The true telling will be the second installment.

As it relates to Batman, I personally don't think a "wimpy" Bruce Wayne will work at all. Perhaps a spinning a "cool geeky" Wayne would work but definitely not a wimp.

#158 ·
Would Ben Kingsley have made a good Lex Luthor in the new Batman/Superman movie?

I hope you don't mind me asking this question here instead of starting a new thread. After reading an article that Bryan Cranston would be open to playing the role, I started thinking about who would be good or interesting choices to play Lex Luthor.

And just for fun....would Gene Hackman reprising the role be a bad thing?

#159 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek  /t/1418943/ryan-reynolds-may-be-the-new-batman/150#post_23628089

And just for fun....would Gene Hackman reprising the role be a bad thing?

Well, at least he's actually bald now.

Hackman says that he's retired from acting. I can't imagine he'd ever want to do something like this.

#161 ·
Hackman was the best. Spacey wishes he had that charisma to pull off Lex. He was so bad I had to bust out my Challenge of the Superfriends DVD and watch the 70's animated Luthor to cleanse my burning eyes.

#162 ·
I kind of like Spacey as Lex Luthor but I didn't care for how he was portrayed in Superman Returns. Instead of a criminal mastermind he seemed more mentally crazy to me. I don't know if the character was written that way or if that was Spacey's interpretation of it but like the movie (which I liked more than I didn't) it just didn't it just didn't all the way work IMO.

Patrick Stewart?

#163 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z  /t/1418943/ryan-reynolds-may-be-the-new-batman/150#post_23628252

Well, at least he's actually bald now.

Hackman says that he's retired from acting. I can't imagine he'd ever want to do something like this.

You beat me to it. Gene Hackman is 83 years old and according to IMDB hasn't acted since 2004. I am inclined to believe him when he says he has retired from acting

#164 ·
I know it's a speculative non-story, but I thought it would be interesting to see what you folks thought about the premise:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/christian-bale-reportedly-offered-50-170800416.html

I personally don't see Christian Bale being nearly as essential to the Batman franchise as Robert Downey, Jr. to Ironman. Bale looks good and all, but I've never found him particularly charismatic. To me, the success of the Dark Knight trilogy really had little to do with Bale and was mostly due to the writing and direction. Hell, they could've put George Clooney back in and the films would've been just fine if nothing else was changed. Who knows, he might have actually fit the part better with the better material and direction.

#165 ·
I just read this article too and found it interesting albeit unlikely. I respectfully disagree that Bale isn't as essential as Downey to their respective brands and further disagree that Bale had little to do with the Dark Knights success. I don't say this to take away from the strength of Nolan in the films but I simply think their value is higher together. One of the things Downey accomplished is the same that Bale accomplished and that's establish an identity. Bale's Batman aside, there has been no other identifying figure in the DC films to carry the brand along and I'm not even speaking in terms of box office success. Bale is that one identifying figure that gives it all (or can give it all) a push...a little momentum if you will. At the very least, I think that article may be a tactic (by the franchise and/or studio) to entice Bale into at least considering the alternatives. Can you imagine if it were announced that Bale would return as Batman? That would be an absolute media and message board frenzy and IMO a virtual automatic billion dollar movie. Again, because there is no one else to carry the torch, no one to identify the brand and an unknown or lesser known just won't generate the buzz.

#166 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek  /t/1418943/ryan-reynolds-may-be-the-new-batman/150#post_23629679

I just read this article too and found it interesting albeit unlikely. I respectfully disagree that Bale isn't as essential as Downey to their respective brands and further disagree that Bale had little to do with the Dark Knights success. I don't say this to take away from the strength of Nolan in the films but I simply think their value is higher together. One of the things Downey accomplished is the same that Bale accomplished and that's establish an identity. Bale's Batman aside, there has been no other identifying figure in the DC films to carry the brand along and I'm not even speaking in terms of box office success. Bale is that one identifying figure that gives it all (or can give it all) a push...a little momentum if you will. At the very least, I think that article may be a tactic (by the franchise and/or studio) to entice Bale into at least considering the alternatives. Can you imagine if it were announced that Bale would return as Batman? That would be an absolute media and message board frenzy and IMO a virtual automatic billion dollar movie. Again, because there is no one else to carry the torch, no one to identify the brand and an unknown or lesser known just won't generate the buzz.
+1

#167 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek  /t/1418943/ryan-reynolds-may-be-the-new-batman/150#post_23629679

Exactly. Besides... Imagine that for a second, Christian Bale returns as Batman in the next MOS movie... Who made the music for the TDK trilogy? And who makes the music for the new MOS franchise? That would be so epic!!!

(I think that horrible article was written to sell that ebook by the way... The title says he's been offered 50 million, and then the article says "Just to be clear he has not been offered 50 million"
...and Christian Bale has already made a similar amount of money with TDKR I guess)

#168 ·
The other flaw with the article is that it talks about Bale's getting 20 minutes of screen time. There's no way determine that now, not without potentially compromising the film. Many actors have a certain percentage of screen time written in their contracts anyway and it's usually a much bigger than 20% anyway.

Regardless, even as eager as I would think the production team would be to get Bale, I don't think they would offer him $50MM. It would be more like Downey's deal with an upfront salary and backend revenue perhaps up to $50M depending on the success of the movie.

#170 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hanky  /t/1418943/ryan-reynolds-may-be-the-new-batman/150#post_23633183

If you are looking for a big wall of a man, why not that "new" Conan the Barbarian dude?

I just saw him in Bullet to the Head last night. He doesn't have the mental fortitude and articulation that Lex needs. He'd make a good Solomon Grundy though.

#175 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman  /t/1418943/ryan-reynolds-may-be-the-new-batman/150#post_23633258

I just saw him in Bullet to the Head last night. He doesn't have the mental fortitude and articulation that Lex needs. He'd make a good Solomon Grundy though.

Well, that would be good to ensure we get more grunting/one-liner Batman action scenes than expressive Bruce Wayne scenes, eh?
(I was referring to the Conan dude as a possible Batman, btw)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.