Paper Man - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-11-2012, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Didn't see a thread on this one, so I figured I'd do it. I watched it last night and enjoyed it a lot. It's one of those 'quirky indie comedy' flicks that a lot of people probably don't like, but I enjoy them quite a bit. They don't have huge, perfect, completely resolved character arcs and push all of the standard three act buttons and whatnot, and I think that's a good thing. Not that there's anything wrong with those things, but it's nice to see movies that don't follow those standard paths.

This one is about a writer whose first novel completely flopped, and he's starting to crack from the stress of now starting his second one and being unable to even start. His very successful wife makes him feel even more stress and more like a loser. So he moves into a house near the ocean to work on his book, and probably to allow his wife to get rid of him for a while. He's starting to go off the deep end, and meets a young girl in the town and they stike up an unlikely friendship that ends up being good for both of them.

I know it sounds straight out of Dramedy Plots 101, but it's really nicely done. It's about the details of human relationships more than the plot itself. Emma Stone plays the girl, and she does a very good job I thought. I was mainly aware of her from the comedy Easy A, and she's a great comic actor, but this one is a lot more dramatic and she does a really good job. Jeff Daniels plays the writer. And, funnily, given recent events about the Batman movies, Ryan Reynolds plays Daniels' imaginary super-hero friend. It sounds stupid but it's done well and provides a lot of good comic relief. He's got his cod piece broken in already, so he's good to go. Daniels I think does a good job as well, playing it just right, with the right blend of pathos and humor.

Anyway, I really liked it, and you might as well, if you are into this sort of thing. I'm sure no one will look at this review since I couldn't work work nudity into it, being there none in the movie. Well, Emma Stone is often emotionally nekkid if that helps.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-11-2012, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post

Didn't see a thread on this one, so I figured I'd do it. I watched it last night and enjoyed it a lot. It's one of those 'quirky indie comedy' flicks that a lot of people probably don't like, but I enjoy them quite a bit. They don't have huge, perfect, completely resolved character arcs and push all of the standard three act buttons and whatnot, and I think that's a good thing. Not that there's anything wrong with those things, but it's nice to see movies that don't follow those standard paths.
This one is about a writer whose first novel completely flopped, and he's starting to crack from the stress of now starting his second one and being unable to even start. His very successful wife makes him feel even more stress and more like a loser. So he moves into a house near the ocean to work on his book, and probably to allow his wife to get rid of him for a while. He's starting to go off the deep end, and meets a young girl in the town and they stike up an unlikely friendship that ends up being good for both of them.
I know it sounds straight out of Dramedy Plots 101, but it's really nicely done. It's about the details of human relationships more than the plot itself. Emma Stone plays the girl, and she does a very good job I thought. I was mainly aware of her from the comedy Easy A, and she's a great comic actor, but this one is a lot more dramatic and she does a really good job. Jeff Daniels plays the writer. And, funnily, given recent events about the Batman movies, Ryan Reynolds plays Daniels' imaginary super-hero friend. It sounds stupid but it's done well and provides a lot of good comic relief. He's got his cod piece broken in already, so he's good to go. Daniels I think does a good job as well, playing it just right, with the right blend of pathos and humor.
Anyway, I really liked it, and you might as well, if you are into this sort of thing. I'm sure no one will look at this review since I couldn't work work nudity into it, being there none in the movie. Well, Emma Stone is often emotionally nekkid if that helps.
While it had it's moments and the acting was topnotch, clinical depression coupled with mild psychosis, awkward relationships and awkward awkwardness generally turns me off. There were many times I wanted to turn this off. I didn't...and still have mixed feelings about that.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #3 of 4 Old 07-11-2012, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Akward akwardness is a part of life, this I know from experience. If we only watch movies about things that never make us a little uncomfortable, then we get... well, we get Hollywood of course. That's why only the indie world can do these types of movies.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

post #4 of 4 Old 07-11-2012, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post

Akward akwardness is a part of life, this I know from experience. If we only watch movies about things that never make us a little uncomfortable, then we get... well, we get Hollywood of course. That's why only the indie world can do these types of movies.
I've never had any prolonged period of awkwardness in my life. I cut through it to get to an understanding of whether a relationship(s) continues or not. If I lived in that state, I'm not sure if I could find a solution to keep going on. That depresses me. Thus, watching it unfold isn't appealing. That said, the film had it's moments, but the rest made me cringe.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Paper Man Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page