Will you see THE DARK KNIGHT RISES at a 15/70 IMAX Theater? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Will you see THE DARK KNIGHT RISES at a 15/70 IMAX Theater?
Yes 13 72.22%
No 5 27.78%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 36 Old 07-23-2012, 02:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Ok saw it this morning. Packed theater, showed up 35 mins early and got a perfect seat.

Im really glad I waited to just see this in a proper 70mm IMAX theater. The picture quality was amazing and this movie really needed IMAX to be enjoyable IMO(Didn't think it was anywhere near as good as TDK as a movie though). There was indeed a lot more IMAX scenes which were kind of edited in oddly. Like in TDK the 70mm scenes were used for big overhead shots and some huge action scenes. Here the IMAX was also mixed into close dialog scenes were you wouldn't expect it. Still ill take as much 70mm as possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 Old 07-26-2012, 01:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

It is IMAX's intention to go to Laser projectors beginning 2013. With the advent of both Super Hi Vision (8K) and laser projection, there is a great possibility of surpassing IMAX 15/70 in both resolution and color fidelity.
Evans and Sutherland has been doing laser projection for quite some time - 4,000 x 4,000 resolution:
http://www.es.com/Products/Specialty/
I am really looking forward to the day when 8K digital projectors are a reality. As I have noted in another thread, one of our local digital IMAX theaters, the Moore Warren IMAX, has a huge screen (101' X 60'), which is larger than the average 15/70 theater's screen. Even with 2K digital projectors, The Dark Knight Rises looked very good there. I would have preferred to see a 15/70 presentation, of course, but there isn't a 15/70 IMAX in my part of the country that shows feature films. Thus, my best hope is that IMAX comes through and makes 8K projectors available next year and that Bill Warren buys them for the Moore Warren IMAX.
post #33 of 36 Old 07-26-2012, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I am really looking forward to the day when 8K digital projectors are a reality. As I have noted in another thread, one of our local digital IMAX theaters, the Moore Warren IMAX, has a huge screen (101' X 60'), which is larger than the average 15/70 theater's screen. Even with 2K digital projectors, The Dark Knight Rises looked very good there. I would have preferred to see a 15/70 presentation, of course, but there isn't a 15/70 IMAX in my part of the country that shows feature films. Thus, my best hope is that IMAX comes through and makes 8K projectors available next year and that Bill Warren buys them for the Moore Warren IMAX.

AFAIK, other than some prototype Super Hi Vision projectors, there are no 8K digital projectors. Nor is there any 8K content.
post #34 of 36 Old 07-26-2012, 07:55 PM

Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

Yep. Jordan's IMAX Theater in Natick, MA. IMAX in a furniture store.cool.gif
Seeing it on Sun.

Saw it myself there.

Anyone think the sound mixing was a bit off? Is it just this format?

Several times music seemed to rise up over speech, making the dialogue over hard to understand. Overall the soundtrack as a whole was more forced than it's predecessors, but that was a bit more annoying.
post #35 of 36 Old 07-27-2012, 11:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Anyone think the sound mixing was a bit off? Is it just this format?
Several times music seemed to rise up over speech, making the dialogue over hard to understand. Overall the soundtrack as a whole was more forced than it's predecessors, but that was a bit more annoying.

It was like that in the regular digital screening I saw as well. The music drowns out a lot of the dialogue.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #36 of 36 Old 07-27-2012, 11:32 AM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 719
Yeah, the sound mix in this one was quite different from the other two, imo. The music was WAY loud and the overall dynamic range just seemed....flat. :/ The midbass was pretty punchy though.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page