Previous Criterion/Collectors sets - Do you keep them? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 07-28-2012, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I repurchased a few titles on blu ray and still have the DVD versions of the disc, I was wondering if anyone else kept the older versions of movies - especially Criterion on other various collector's editions? It is difficult to tell if the updated BD release has the same features as the older releases as well as the booklets have different essays in them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-28-2012, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
The only time I've kept a DVD set (including Criterion) is when I had it on LaserDisc. Of course, most LD's aren't worth much anymore anyway. To be honest, I very rarely upgrade from DVD->Blu-Ray unless there's some SIGNIFICANT extras or additional footage (or IMAX footage--like TDK).

Yamaha DSP-A1 Integrated Amp
(4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps and Mills resistors (R/L F/R)
(2) Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets (dual centers)
B&O TX2 Turntable
Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD
Samsung BD-P2550 Blu-Ray/DVD
Princeton AF3.0HD Monitor
Optoma HD65 Projector
post #3 of 14 Old 07-28-2012, 09:46 AM

Liked: 50
All my LD's and my better dvd's I keep everything
post #4 of 14 Old 07-28-2012, 02:28 PM

Liked: 10
I sell all the DVDs after upgrade to BD because I don't care of extras and I don't have much more room in my DVD shelve.
post #5 of 14 Old 07-28-2012, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

When Criterions go on sale at B&N I get upgrade-itus for movies - they look so much crisper, I can't help it. But I took my DVDs to Disc Replay and got a little cash for them. Possibly less than if I were to try and sell them on Amazon, but it's a trade off for instant liquidation.
post #6 of 14 Old 07-28-2012, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Usually it has to do with the cinematography as to whether I upgrade or not. Stuff shot on crappy, grainy Kodak Eastman stock improves somewhat on HD but usually not enough for me to care, particularly if the film is primarily closeups or mid-shots (Deadwood comes to mind). Stuff I have upgraded, particularly criterions, make really good Christmas presents. Plus, Beast Buy periodically gives you $5 in trade for old DVDs.

I do tend to upgrade sci-fi films I love.

CW Hinkle
post #7 of 14 Old 07-29-2012, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Not Criterion DVDs as I don't own any more but with certain special edition DVDs I keep them because the packaging is too cool. Sea Biscuit comes to mind. As foes the original MiB. Various others too. The Disney Lion King box set I kept and just put the BD case in place of the DVD case. It's too cool a case to get rid of. Same with the ooooold Jurassic Park + The Lost World set (with the dino head that opened up). Escape from New York is also one DVD case I won't get rid of. The early M Night movies too (Unbreakable especially, loved that DVD set).
post #8 of 14 Old 07-30-2012, 08:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanton View Post

To be honest, I very rarely upgrade from DVD->Blu-Ray unless there's some SIGNIFICANT extras or additional footage (or IMAX footage--like TDK).

Interesting. Why is that? Blu-Ray is a significant upgrade in image resolution and fidelity. Are you just not that interested in picture quality? (Most people coming to a forum like this do so because they are interested in improvements in image quality, it being a home theater enthusiast site and all).

Just trying to understand some of my fellow AVSers...
post #9 of 14 Old 07-30-2012, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

Interesting. Why is that? Blu-Ray is a significant upgrade in image resolution and fidelity. Are you just not that interested in picture quality? (Most people coming to a forum like this do so because they are interested in improvements in image quality, it being a home theater enthusiast site and all).
Just trying to understand some of my fellow AVSers...

Unless you're talking about VERY LARGE screen sizes (e.g. front projection), the difference between a (good) DVD on a (good) upscaling player and BD sometimes makes it difficult to justify spending the (extra) $$. Again, if it's something I primarily watch on the "big screen" OR if it has a new/improved transfer (the last couple Batman movies come to mind), I upgrade. To be clear, almost all NEW releases I buy on Blu-Ray (especially when they come with the DVD and digital download for free--like the last couple of Harry Potter movies).

Yamaha DSP-A1 Integrated Amp
(4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps and Mills resistors (R/L F/R)
(2) Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets (dual centers)
B&O TX2 Turntable
Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD
Samsung BD-P2550 Blu-Ray/DVD
Princeton AF3.0HD Monitor
Optoma HD65 Projector
post #10 of 14 Old 07-30-2012, 11:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Ok. We all have our own tolerances and criteria. I find the upgrade to Blu-Ray worthwhile whether it be on a flat panel TV (like our plasma and LCD) or on my projector. But to each his own of course.
post #11 of 14 Old 07-30-2012, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have only two early Criterion DVDs--Robocop and Time Bandits--but there's no way I'd get rid of either, despite that they no longer look so good on a 16:9 screen. I mostly hold onto them for the extras, which later versions don't have.

As far as replacing DVDs with corresponding Blu-ray versions of the same titles, particularly collectors' sets: Depending on what extras or premiums from those DVDs are included in the Blu-ray version, I won't likely get rid of the DVD if I see no real reason to. I have the Ultimate Matrix Collection on Blu-ray, but I also have the limited edition DVD set with the Neo mini-bust and the expanded booklet, as one example; another are the Star Wars original trilogy box and the prequel singles I still have, in addition to the Complete Saga Blu-ray set, just because of the extras. I'm somewhat a completist, so I don't get rid of anything if there's something that might be of value.

post #12 of 14 Old 07-30-2012, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LineWalker View Post

I have only two early Criterion DVDs--Robocop and Time Bandits--but there's no way I'd get rid of either, despite that they no longer look so good on a 16:9 screen. I mostly hold onto them for the extras, which later versions don't have.
As far as replacing DVDs with corresponding Blu-ray versions of the same titles, particularly collectors' sets: Depending on what extras or premiums from those DVDs are included in the Blu-ray version, I won't likely get rid of the DVD if I see no real reason to. I have the Ultimate Matrix Collection on Blu-ray, but I also have the limited edition DVD set with the Neo mini-bust and the expanded booklet, as one example; another are the Star Wars original trilogy box and the prequel singles I still have, in addition to the Complete Saga Blu-ray set, just because of the extras. I'm somewhat a completist, so I don't get rid of anything if there's something that might be of value.

I feel the same way, but if the discs are identical I'll give away or sell the DVD. But there are some titles that I will keep both versions of.
post #13 of 14 Old 07-30-2012, 08:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

I don't think anyone will disagree that Blu-ray is clearly superior, but I'm in no rush to upgrade every single last DVD I own to Blu-ray just because Blu-ray is out there. Don't get me wrong, I'll get the Blu-ray if it's available and am ready to purchase, but just because we're on an AV forum doesn't mean everyone puts picture quality as the absolute overriding factor in discs purchases every single time.

I have a mere 50" 720p set (and am in no rush to upgrade, unless someone wants to buy one for me. My birthday's coming up. biggrin.gif ) So a good upscaled DVD is oftentimes "good enough", especially since I rarely watch big action spectacles and prefer a good character driven story or offbeat/indie/foreign film. Again, if it's available on Blu-ray and the price is reasonable and I feel like buying it, I will, but I don't upgrade for the sake of upgrading.

Plus, (and I know this isn't part of your position, but still...) there are still a lot of interesting (to me at least) movies out there that are not on Blu-ray yet. What am I supposed to do, not watch them and wait for a Blu release that may or may not come along? Heck no, I'll get the DVD. smile.gif

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #14 of 14 Old 07-31-2012, 12:38 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

I don't think anyone will disagree that Blu-ray is clearly superior, but I'm in no rush to upgrade every single last DVD I own to Blu-ray just because Blu-ray is out there. Don't get me wrong, I'll get the Blu-ray if it's available and am ready to purchase, but just because we're on an AV forum doesn't mean everyone puts picture quality as the absolute overriding factor in discs purchases every single time.
I have a mere 50" 720p set (and am in no rush to upgrade, unless someone wants to buy one for me. My birthday's coming up. biggrin.gif ) So a good upscaled DVD is oftentimes "good enough", especially since I rarely watch big action spectacles and prefer a good character driven story or offbeat/indie/foreign film. Again, if it's available on Blu-ray and the price is reasonable and I feel like buying it, I will, but I don't upgrade for the sake of upgrading.
Plus, (and I know this isn't part of your position, but still...) there are still a lot of interesting (to me at least) movies out there that are not on Blu-ray yet. What am I supposed to do, not watch them and wait for a Blu release that may or may not come along? Heck no, I'll get the DVD. smile.gif

You stated my feelings on this issue with aplomb. Maybe it's a 720p 50" thing, as that is what I watch most also. wink.gif The wife and mother-in-law tend to hog the 1080p Sony.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page