Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

I didn't notice any.

Shaky cam?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Steam: Guts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 52 Old 02-12-2013, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Shaky cam?

hmmm, no not really.

wink.gif
post #33 of 52 Old 03-03-2013, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

Wow! The first act of this film which includes the aircraft mishap is truly 'edge-of-your-seat' stuff. On a 120" screen with the surround sound cranked up you really feel like you're in the airplane and cockpit. Emotionally exhausting.

No kidding! When that ended I turned to the wife and said, “I’m never flying again.” smile.gif

Very enjoyable, and for the longer than usual movie, I wasn’t bored at all.

But tell me; how is it that a car traveling at 50 miles an hour takes longer to stop than it took that plane, with very little damage? I don’t want to nitpick, but when that wing hit the ground first, all hell should have broken loose. Instead, we have scrapes high on the fuselage that should be impossible given the fact that the wing is still partially attached, and only one crack in the entire fuselage. Take that baby to PepBoys and it’ll be good to go in a week. wink.gif I would have preferred a more realistic crash, not a fender-bender.
post #34 of 52 Old 03-03-2013, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I enjoyed the movie, but did not notice any skipping on a regular DVD.

We're all getting old, including Denzel. As for the 2 ladies, they are hot.

Have not seen either Lincoln or Silver Linings Playbook so could not tell how the other actors are. Knowing how many movies DDL made, I'm sure that he deserved it. Love him in Last of the Mohicans, as well as the soundtrack.
post #35 of 52 Old 03-04-2013, 06:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Saw this over the weekend, enjoyed it. The bluray (from Redbox) definitely skipped a couple of times, otherwise it was fine. As others have said, the initial scene in the plane is riveting (realism concerns aside) and the remainder is an addiction drama.

Thought Denzel was great, John Goodman's character was too over the top. The first girl was hot, the second one not so much IMHO. Once Don Cheadle and the other guy pointed out to him what was found in the trash bin, I correctly guessed how the ending would play out, but it was still fun to see how they developed it.

Loved the elevator music at the end as they're heading down to the NTSB hearing.

jeff
post #36 of 52 Old 03-05-2013, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I streamed it on Amazon, and the picture was good. I ended up setting the Audio up for Dolby ProLogic II, for some reason when you used the discete channel decode, the bass was largely missing. It may be a bad audio encoding, but although I enjoyed the film, not enough to order the disk and watch it again to figure out the audio problem.

Gary McCoy
The United States Constitution ©1791. All Rights Reserved.

post #37 of 52 Old 03-05-2013, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 40
So few people have seen this movie. Its Wonderful and depressing at the same time.
Next time I fly, I hope I dont remember this movie :P

post #38 of 52 Old 03-05-2013, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 64
There are so many good new releases on NF right now slated this month even with 3 out I can just barely keep up. I'll watch this Debbie downer when NF has a slow month and nothing else to watch.
post #39 of 52 Old 03-05-2013, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

There are so many good new releases on NF right now slated this month even with 3 out I can just barely keep up. I'll watch this Debbie downer when NF has a slow month and nothing else to watch.

Yeah I have to agree with you. I went into it without knowing fully what I was getting into. Acting was great but ouch on the ending.

post #40 of 52 Old 03-05-2013, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
I actually thought the ending was funny and uplifting rather than depressing. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
It was funny, when Don Cheadle and the other guy come in and the place looks like the hotel room from The Hangover, the goofy bit with John Goodman bringing in the coke to get him ready (character was absurd but I laughed out loud when he offered a line to Cheadle and the other guy), and the Beatles' Get by With a Little Help From My Friends elevator music.

Uplifting with his realization of hitting rock bottom and refusal to throw his dead lover under the bus in the hearing, taking the fall even though he knew he didn't have to, and the closing scene of him talking to the other inmates and then "meeting" his son. I guess it was depressing in that you sorta hoped he'd "get away with it" because he did in fact save the plane regardless of his drinking and drug use, but his actions at the end ultimately saved him.
post #41 of 52 Old 03-05-2013, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

What GreenJP said tongue.gif

post #42 of 52 Old 03-06-2013, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchone View Post

So few people have seen this movie. Its Wonderful and depressing at the same time.
Next time I fly, I hope I dont remember this movie :P
I thought it was depressing and mediocre but I did enjoy Watson's wife from Sherlock Holmes wink.gif

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #43 of 52 Old 03-07-2013, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 64
You know, I'll just have to put this out there. I don't get Robert Zemekis. Here's the guy that gave me Back to the Future & Contact,,,2 of my all time fav movies and maybe I'm expecting bigger and better things from him than this drunk depressing film in the sky. It's like he doesn't want to go to the trouble of "upping" himself like JC did with Avatar. You know, I hated Avatar but at least I really appreciate him putting something that's pushing the envelope in film making. Flight is something a big time director puts out after a big movie like a warm up in between movies.
post #44 of 52 Old 03-07-2013, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

I'm expecting bigger and better things from him than this drunk depressing film in the sky.

Every movie isn't for everyone. I liked it a lot.

JohnG
post #45 of 52 Old 03-08-2013, 11:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGZ28 View Post

Every movie isn't for everyone.
Crazy talk.

Steam: Guts
post #46 of 52 Old 03-09-2013, 05:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 653
The Netflix BD is sitting on the ol' archi-table as we speak. Watching tonight! The wife loves her some Denzel (shocking, I know), and I'm hoping for a good Saturday night flick (hey, get your minds out of the gutter. I said flick!).
post #47 of 52 Old 03-09-2013, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Well, watch it and send it back. I'm waiting for it, and Netflix has it listed as "long wait" in my queue.

SMK
post #48 of 52 Old 03-09-2013, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Great portrayal of addiction.
However implausible the specific details of the flight, the scene was effective.

Did not see Zemekis making such a movie; totally foreign to his filmography. Great work, regardless.

(Note that this one is 100% non-kid-friendly. Very demanding and very harsh. Lots to talk about, but only with truly mature persons.)

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
post #49 of 52 Old 03-10-2013, 12:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post

Well, watch it and send it back. I'm waiting for it, and Netflix has it listed as "long wait" in my queue.

SMK

Roger that; comin' atcha'. Watched it last night. Reminded me of 'Days of Wine and Roses', another powerful portrayal of addiction from an earlier time and one of my favs. The crash sequence at the beginning was nail-biting & harrowing, and very well done I thought. Denzel acted his butt off and gave a fearless performance. John Goodman was a hoot.

Yes, kind of a "debbie-downer" finish, but I thought it was powerful nonetheless. All in all, it was worth the time.
JohnGZ28 likes this.
post #50 of 52 Old 04-02-2013, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Rented last week, watched twice, and fell asleep on the epilogue both times. Great film, if not heavy-handed. Though don't quite get why Capt Whitaker got his "head together" for the hearing, only to let everything fall apart anyway. Really sad that there are actually people like this; possibly even some pilots.

Again, a good watch, but for mature eyes only.

eek.gif

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #51 of 52 Old 04-02-2013, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
I watched it last weekend. I enjoyed it because I like Denzel Washington, but the first two minutes were the best part of the movie.

SMK
post #52 of 52 Old 11-14-2013, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

LOL well I've seen it now... why this scene is so short is beyond me but whatver Mr. Zemekis, whatever... biggrin.gif

I should mention that there is also Kelly Reilly in the film, who is also Mrs. Watson in the Sherlock Holmes franchise, some will argue that she's not very pretty, but she has a beautiful smile and I find her charming and very touching in Flight.

ok here's a pic, which is the only one I'm gonna post because this is not the other thread. Besides, the chest area seems to be well equipped too. wink.gif

Watched this the other night streaming from Netflix. Enjoyed it as the character study it is, and for Denzel's performance. The man is eminently watchable and compelling. I love Don Cheadle as well, but his role in this was too small.

I knew going in that it's not a disaster flick, but really dealing with addiction and denial. This is pretty far afield from the kind of films we are used to seeing from Bob Zemekis.

Also, people can talk about the nude scene at the beginning -- and it was nice -- but I couldn't take my eyes off Kelly Reilly. Even made up to look like a junkie, she is gorgeous.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page