What's the point in buying loads and loads of movies to keep at home? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 39 Old 08-12-2012, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 172
I'm still driving the SUV I bought 14 years ago. The advantage is I know all the servicing that has gone into over buying a used car. Of course it is a Subaru which are known for not being built with "planned obsolescence". I even found a local mechanic that keeps it up well than the pricey dealer.

Around here we have some "antique" dealers downtown that also buy used DVDs and sell them for $2.50 each. I talked to one of the owners yesterday and found out he had no idea that some DVDs may be rare, especially limited editions, and worth far, far more than $2.50.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 08-12-2012, 03:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

I'm still driving the SUV I bought 14 years ago. The advantage is I know all the servicing that has gone into over buying a used car. Of course it is a Subaru which are known for not being built with "planned obsolescence".
I think Oregon is the Subaru capitol of the world.
They're all over the place.

Women seem to especially be drawn to them up here.
Many ladies are afraid to drive big SUVs, but, due to the climate and distances driven, want a 4x4 for added safety and gives good mileage and is more car than truck.
Subarus are the perfect fit.wink.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #33 of 39 Old 08-12-2012, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitchfan View Post

Of course, this was after upgrading many (but by no means all of what I've got now) titles from Beta to VHS (I know, not really an upgrade) to LD to DVD and then some to Blu-ray...
I appreciated and felt I needed the improvement from every level to DVD. But with DVD I'm already seeing details on a 100" home theater screen I know I never noticed in revival house screenings of some older movies. Some details I suspect I wasn't even supposed to notice like what brand of cigarettes is in the shirt pocket of the leading man or how far outside the lines his eyebrow pencil make-up drifted. So I just don't feel I now must upgrade some of those to Blu-ray in order to see how many cigarettes are left in that pack, whether they're filter or menthol, and how many hairs are still hanging on beneath that eyebrow pencil line. I will make an exception for some, but not for all anymore.

For me, the Alien series and Blade Runner were worth it. Mr. Charles de Lauzirika's passion was a gift.
My SD of China Town is fine. How much better can the dialog be on Blu?

If there were a few directors allowed to create something extraordinary these days, great, but it's not the case.

wink.gif
post #34 of 39 Old 08-12-2012, 09:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I too have about 200 blu-rays that are some still BNIB (sealed) but these are the ones that I wanted to keep and hopefully watch when I have a chance (ie Godfather Saga, Aliens Saga, Gone with the Wind, etc...) Hope this format will be here for awhile and blu-rays keeps going down in price. smile.gif
post #35 of 39 Old 08-13-2012, 02:51 AM

Liked: 11
You know, some people prefer to collect such stuffs. Maybe you can sell them through eBay.
post #36 of 39 Old 08-13-2012, 07:43 AM

Liked: 16
I buy BR copies of DVDs because my family watches the heck out of our collection and the wear and tear sometimes takes its toll. They will and have watched them each over 30 times and counting. Now MY (not kids) BR/DVD collection is only handled by me and are still in the mint condition as when I bought them...yes, I'm OCD that way like some used to be and are about records. There are many movies that interests me to no end so I will add those to my collection. I was never that big on VHS movies, but the opticals are another story. I will be heading to some local stores this weekend to catch deals on some more.

Mitsubishi WD-92842, Onkyo HT-S9400THX, Oppo BDP-93, XBOX 360 w/Kinect, XBOX (modded), WD My Book Essential, FiOS Bundle
post #37 of 39 Old 08-13-2012, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I've cut down on the buying of discs.

Haven't dubbled dipped that often except some movies that I want on BD as well and often I think DVD looks pretty good so there is no hurry to rebuy.
Or the studios mess up the BD transfer and I feel even less that I want to buy the movie again.

The main reasons for me to buy lots of DVDs were:
In the beginning the quality of the PAL R2 releases were not as good as the R1 releases, PQ & SQ.
In the beginning the release of the DVD in the US was not seldom before the movie came up on the local cinema here in Sweden smile.gif

But that was only during the first year or so but I probably bought most of my DVD's during that period.
After that the releases came out more or less at the same time, maybe a month or two rather than years as before.

Nowdays I only buy movies that I've seen and that I want to own, usually I wait for the movies to end up in the bargain bins.
Again I'm not often in a big hurry smile.gif

21:st century Karate Kid......Logon, Logoff, Logon, Logoff..
post #38 of 39 Old 08-13-2012, 09:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post

I mean if you bought hundreds of DVDs, they are all now outdated due to the Blu-ray. The cycle will continue once the next big thing after Blu-ray is out. Aren't you "trapping" yourself by buying a lot of movies for home use? I understand the convenience aspect of it, but still.

"Trapping?"

I bought plenty of DVDs and never felt "trapped." I watched them all and enjoyed them. Now Blu-Ray is here. It's called "progress" and I'm thrilled to have the choice of watching movies in amazing high-definition.
For the first time I truly feel like I'm seeing the full potential of a film at home. Hence I buy lots of movies I enjoy on Blu-Ray.

It's a hobby. A love. I love movies and often watch movies more than once. In fact I often even just dip into favorite scenes of movies I love when I want to relax. I love having a movie I want to watch now at hand,
rather than having to go to a store to rent, or waiting for it in the mail, or streaming (I like to watch a movie in the highest quality I can get).

Also, I like owning movies, just like I like owning certain books rather than having them fleetingly and returning them to a library. Recently I rented the Kurosawa movie High And Low to watch with a friend at my place. We loved it.
Recently I've thought I'd love to re-visit portions of that movie, if not watch it all again. But to do so I'll have to drive across the city again to the only place that would rent that Blu-Ray, which is a bummer. Much nicer to simply own it and
have it on hand whenever the urge strikes.

Of course this is all based on personal criteria and personal characteristics. Not everyone wants to own movies (just like I have zero interest in making my own beer or wine ike some of my friends). If you are not as interested in seeing movies in the highest quality (rather than streaming), or don't like to watch movies more than once or re-visit scenes, or you have no problem going to the trouble of renting movies multiple times and waiting etc...then buying movies isn't for you.
post #39 of 39 Old 08-13-2012, 09:52 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

"Trapping?"
I bought plenty of DVDs and never felt "trapped." I watched them all and enjoyed them. Now Blu-Ray is here. It's called "progress" and I'm thrilled to have the choice of watching movies in amazing high-definition.
For the first time I truly feel like I'm seeing the full potential of a film at home. Hence I buy lots of movies I enjoy on Blu-Ray.
It's a hobby. A love. I love movies and often watch movies more than once. In fact I often even just dip into favorite scenes of movies I love when I want to relax. I love having a movie I want to watch now at hand,
rather than having to go to a store to rent, or waiting for it in the mail, or streaming (I like to watch a movie in the highest quality I can get).
Also, I like owning movies, just like I like owning certain books rather than having them fleetingly and returning them to a library. Recently I rented the Kurosawa movie High And Low to watch with a friend at my place. We loved it.
Recently I've thought I'd love to re-visit portions of that movie, if not watch it all again. But to do so I'll have to drive across the city again to the only place that would rent that Blu-Ray, which is a bummer. Much nicer to simply own it and
have it on hand whenever the urge strikes.
Of course this is all based on personal criteria and personal characteristics. Not everyone wants to own movies (just like I have zero interest in making my own beer or wine ike some of my friends). If you are not as interested in seeing movies in the highest quality (rather than streaming), or don't like to watch movies more than once or re-visit scenes, or you have no problem going to the trouble of renting movies multiple times and waiting etc...then buying movies isn't for you.

Spot on.

Frank
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion