post #361 of 531 Old 10-08-2014, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post
It was Charlize Theron give the man a break!
I feel, deep down, this can't be liked enough.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 531 Old 10-08-2014, 04:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
Like asking why Neil Armstrong took the risk of stepping out of the lunar lander.
Did Neil Armstrong step out of the lunar lander, say "You know what, it looks fine to me," and take his space helmet off?

'Cuz that's what this bozo does.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #363 of 531 Old 10-08-2014, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post
I still don't understand the immense hate for Prometheus.

I get it. You're all old and it wasn't Alien like you wanted.
You don't understand but you get it??? I and others have already stated multiple times our problems with it and not all wrote they hate it.

You want it simply put? It turned out to be dead-end story. Promised a lot and delivered very little plus the worst crime of all, the flick's pacing was awful just rushing it from beginning to end.

Quote:
I swear if this had come out in 79' and then Alien was what we got a couple years ago you'd all say how damn smart Prometheus was and how lame Alien is as it's just a 'monster chases a frightened girl' movie.
This is a bizarro statement. Never in a million years will Prometheus will be considered half as good as Scott's best films of which Alien is one of them. If Prometheus did come out first I would of said it is hard to believe the director of bland Prometheus could of made a film as brilliant as Alien which of course he did not do alone, he had amazing talents helping him that Prometheus lacked.

Now if you are talking about people who go for lots of action and have a short attention span then yeah they may like Prometheus more.
post #364 of 531 Old 10-08-2014, 06:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1229 Post(s)
Liked: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Did Neil Armstrong step out of the lunar lander, say "You know what, it looks fine to me," and take his space helmet off?
They didn't even do that in the movie. The reason he took of the helmet was because every sensor/indicator they had showed that the air was cleaner than what they had on earth. There are genuine things to criticize in the movie, you don't have to make things up that never occurred.

Sanjay
post #365 of 531 Old 10-08-2014, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 745
Quote:
They didn't even do that in the movie. The reason he took of the helmet was because every sensor/indicator they had showed that the air was cleaner than what they had on earth. There are genuine things to criticize in the movie, you don't have to make things up that never occurred.

Really? The body of knowledge involved for Neil to pop out of the lander into a sterile, scientifically known environment doesn't compare to a group of scientific types exposing their immune systems to an ecosystem that (has) supports(ed) lifeforms millions of miles and millions of years away. Nobody is trusting any threat sensor/indicator calibrated on earth at that point.

What Neil did had a confidence window of 99 percent or better or he wouldn't have attempted it. How would the Prometheus builders calibrate their sensors for an environment that no one has any data for? Josh isn't making anything up, those dumbasses had no call to open their helmets.
Mashie Saldana and Matt2026 like this.
post #366 of 531 Old 10-08-2014, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Quoted: 1611 Post(s)
Liked: 505
Quote:
Do we really need to rehash this?

Sample scenes from the movie:

"We've just traveled halfway across the galaxy to a planet we know nothing about, and are skulking about in a creepy damp cave surrounded by the corpses of aliens we have no way of telling how they died. Let's all take off our helmets and take deep breaths of whatever's in the air! That sounds like a great idea, right?"

"Hey, girlfriend. I know we're on this scary alien planet and I haven't been feeling so good. In fact, I think I saw worms crawling around in my eyes when I looked in the mirror. Weird, huh? But you know what, I'm suddenly really horny. Whatcha say we get freaky and have unprotected sex?"

"I'm the captain of this spaceship and two of my crew are trapped in a cave miles away. They've radioed me in distress and sound panicked. Our motion sensors have detected something unidentified moving towards them... Whatevs. I'm-a gonna go get laid! BOO-YAA!! See you suckaz later!"
Lol man, that made me laugh big times.
post #367 of 531 Old 10-08-2014, 07:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
Nobody is trusting any threat sensor/indicator calibrated on earth at that point.
One of the characters did trust the technology they had brought along and the rest followed. What they didn't do is say "You know what, it looks fine to me." That's an invention solely to criticize.

If you want to criticize the science in the movie, then rather than going for something small ball (where the sensors were calibrated) why not go for the obvious (space ship making a loud roaring sound in space).

Sanjay
post #368 of 531 Old 10-08-2014, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

'Cuz that's what this bozo does.
...We need more people like you Josh.
post #369 of 531 Old 10-08-2014, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Really? The body of knowledge involved for Neil to pop out of the lander into a sterile, scientifically known environment doesn't compare to a group of scientific types exposing their immune systems to an ecosystem that (has) supports(ed) lifeforms millions of miles and millions of years away. Nobody is trusting any threat sensor/indicator calibrated on earth at that point.

What Neil did had a confidence window of 99 percent or better or he wouldn't have attempted it. How would the Prometheus builders calibrate their sensors for an environment that no one has any data for?
Josh isn't making anything up, those dumbasses had no call to open their helmets.
...And look @ what happened!

<<<>>> Some of the 3D special effects were truly awesome. ...The alien spaceship's main control room, wow!

Last edited by NorthSky; 10-08-2014 at 08:33 PM. Reason: alien
post #370 of 531 Old 10-08-2014, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Do we really need to rehash this?

Sample scenes from the movie:

"We've just traveled halfway across the galaxy to a planet we know nothing about, and are skulking about in a creepy damp cave surrounded by the corpses of aliens we have no way of telling how they died. Let's all take off our helmets and take deep breaths of whatever's in the air! That sounds like a great idea, right?"

"Hey, girlfriend. I know we're on this scary alien planet and I haven't been feeling so good. In fact, I think I saw worms crawling around in my eyes when I looked in the mirror. Weird, huh? But you know what, I'm suddenly really horny. Whatcha say we get freaky and have unprotected sex?"

"I'm the captain of this spaceship and two of my crew are trapped in a cave miles away. They've radioed me in distress and sound panicked. Our motion sensors have detected something unidentified moving towards them... Whatevs. I'm-a gonna go get laid! BOO-YAA!! See you suckaz later!"
That's exactly what I took from it. A juvenile movie for a juvenile audience. Scientist have bigger brains than that, especially in the future! Charlie Holloway should have been played by Sly Stalone. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Prometheus = WEAKSAUCE!

1: Sony DVP-S7000 | Denon DVD-2900 | Laptop > Emotiva XDA-2 > Emotiva Control Freak > Crown XLS2000 > Focal 826V | Def Tech BP2000 | (2) DIY 15" Subs
2: Computer > Parasound Zdac > Emotiva Control Freak > Acurus A150 > Focal 706V | Def Tech SM450 | Velodyne F-1000B Sub
post #371 of 531 Old 10-08-2014, 08:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
One of the characters did trust the technology they had brought along and the rest followed.
Which, again, proves that they are all f***ing idiots. They're in an alien environment which no human has ever set foot in before. And he just trusts that his sensor is calibrated to detect things in the air that no one has ever heard or even conceived of?

It doesn't take a scientist to realize that's a bad idea. Would you take off your helmet if you were there?

Quote:
What they didn't do is say "You know what, it looks fine to me." That's an invention solely to criticize.

Josh Z

post #372 of 531 Old 10-08-2014, 08:13 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked: 916
"Good ol H2O!"

Lmao!

Wow.

Tack likes this.
post #373 of 531 Old 10-08-2014, 08:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

What Neil did had a confidence window of 99 percent or better or he wouldn't have attempted it. How would the Prometheus builders calibrate their sensors for an environment that no one has any data for? Josh isn't making anything up, those dumbasses had no call to open their helmets.
It's all been talked about here Alien Prequel - Prometheus
and here Prometheus *PLOT SPOILERS* discussion

Do it over there if you wish to repeat it. In the mean time, do you have anything on the sequel as that's what this thread is?
post #374 of 531 Old 10-08-2014, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

'Prometheus' was a sci-fi comedy?

The sequel should be fun.
post #375 of 531 Old 10-08-2014, 08:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Would you take off your helmet if you were there?
Of course. I would trust the instruments I had brought along. Otherwise why would I have brought them along?

Sanjay
post #376 of 531 Old 10-08-2014, 09:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Of course. I would trust the instruments I had brought along. Otherwise why would I have brought them along?
Then you would be dead, probably instantly, because you failed to understand that your limited instruments were useless in an alien environment they were never designed for.

Josh Z

post #377 of 531 Old 10-08-2014, 09:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Then you would be dead, probably instantly, because you failed to understand that your limited instruments were useless in an alien environment they were never designed for.
That doesn't make sense. Why would you bring instruments along that you knew didn't work and were never designed for the mission you were taking them on? You're again inventing things (non-working instruments) that weren't part of the movie, solely to criticize it. In the context of this story, the instruments worked, as evidenced by Charlie and the rest taking off their helmets and confirming what the instruments indicated: the air was breathable.

Sanjay
post #378 of 531 Old 10-08-2014, 09:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Which, again, proves that they are all f***ing idiots. They're in an alien environment which no human has ever set foot in before. And he just trusts that his sensor is calibrated to detect things in the air that no one has ever heard or even conceived of?

It doesn't take a scientist to realize that's a bad idea. Would you take off your helmet if you were there?
You've only seen the movie once and your memory is fading further each day. You've already stumbled more than a year ago due to not remembering the details of the scenes and dialogues accurately but dared to speak up about it, in which your stumbling action earned a label "Millburnt". Looks like that event also has faded from your memory. Let me refresh it for you, click on this link which is the response to your rants on inaccurate portrait of the content of the movie shown here.
post #379 of 531 Old 10-08-2014, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
No you wouldn't. You'd trust them for situations they've been designed for but not some unknown "live" environment that the instruments couldn't possibly have been calibrated for. You'd quarantine some samples and do batteries of tests on them, probably including exposure to animals. And after that more tests. You are way smarter than this, Sanjay, I can only assume its the lure of the debate.
post #380 of 531 Old 10-08-2014, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
"Good ol H2O!"

Lmao!

Wow.

Heh, that was classic.
post #381 of 531 Old 10-08-2014, 09:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
You'd trust them for situations they've been designed for but not some unknown "live" environment that the instruments couldn't possibly have been calibrated for.
You're inventing instruments that weren't in this movie. The ones in this story were designed for this mission, were brought along because they worked, which was confirmed when Charlie took his helmet off. The writing is consistent.
Quote:
You are way smarter than this, Sanjay, I can only assume its the lure of the debate.
Way smarter, IF I agreed with you and Josh? In that case, I'm more comfortable with you thinking I'm anything but smart.

Sanjay
post #382 of 531 Old 10-08-2014, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You're inventing instruments that weren't in this movie. The ones in this story were designed for this mission, were brought along because they worked, which was confirmed when Charlie took his helmet off. The writing is consistent.
And with that you just reinforced the biggest problem with the movie. An utter lack of common sense displayed by all the characters. Common sense tells you that you can't measure something that you have no knowledge of. Kinda spiraled downhill from there.

Quote:
Way smarter, IF I agreed with you and Josh? In that case, I'm more comfortable with you thinking I'm anything but smart.
Boom! A mortal wound! I..am..defeated..
post #383 of 531 Old 10-08-2014, 10:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
That doesn't make sense. Why would you bring instruments along that you knew didn't work and were never designed for the mission you were taking them on?
How could they possibly design an instrument to measure something that no human has ever encountered and they don't even know exists? They have no way of knowing what they should be scanning for.

Again, it's like walking into a room filled with poison gas carrying only a carbon monoxide detector. "My sensors aren't picking up anything. That must mean it's totally safe!"

These are supposed to be scientists. And not just any scientists, but the best in their fields. Instead, they're a bunch of bumbling idiots.

Quote:
You're again inventing things (non-working instruments) that weren't part of the movie, solely to criticize it.
You're giving a pass to an obviously moronic scene in an obviously braindead movie. Honestly, I can't fathom why you would try to defend something so abjectly stupid.

Josh Z

post #384 of 531 Old 10-08-2014, 10:30 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Prometheus was infinitely disappointing.

Just average shlock, when it should have been so much more.
post #385 of 531 Old 10-09-2014, 12:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 114
I'll weigh in, for fun.

I agree that the characters, outside of David, were all inadequately written. Some more than others. They were basically written as extreme archetypes who could not see both the "black" and "white" of anything. This creates a problem because you can't create grey without each neutral.

As a person who loves science, it was painful to watch some of the scenes. I won't go deeper because it has been beaten to death already.

Despite these qualms of mine, I still enjoy watching the film. Did Ridley drop the ball? Absolutely! This could have been one of the all time sci fi greats. Perhaps the potential is what sparked me to watch it more than once. I find it generates ideas, and I can't fault it for that.

To improve the film, I'd first remove Wickers, the bumbling scientists who wander through the cave, and the Mountain Dew, extreme sports aspect to Shaw's boyfriend.

I'd also consider reducing the horror element to a few key scenes, because they really don't add much to the film. The mutated scientist battle outside the ship, for example, did nothing for me. Neither did Shaw lagging behind for the head. It just felt forced to amp up tension, which I felt far more when they had the head in the lab.

Then, I'd have the Engineer who rips off David's head say something significant before he acts. It just seemed like such a wasted opportunity.

The religious aspect... well, I don't think it belonged in this film. It was placed there because it would alienate a large demographic who would find the subject blasphemous. That's my opinion, and I could be wrong.

I would have hired a different actor to play the old Weyland. It was really distracting seeing him with all of that make up on and Guy Pearce's over-the-top performance didn't help. I usually like him in films, so it was a surprise to see him looking so unnatural, acting-wise. While we're on the subject, either Ridley asked Charlize to deliver that ridiculously awful performance, or she did that all on her own. I'm inclined to believe the latter, because she gave a similar performance in 'Snow White and the Huntsman'.

I'm really happy that David and Shaw are going to be the only beings from Earth, and part 1, in the sequel. (I actually look forward to the day when we can have a good sci fi film without human involvement.) I hope the cinematography remains as brilliant as the first film. And I really hope more time is spent on the scientific and philosophical aspects of the story, and less on the horror.
Morpheo likes this.
post #386 of 531 Old 10-09-2014, 05:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
How could they possibly design an instrument to measure something that no human has ever encountered and they don't even know exists?
In the context of the story, they not only designed such an air sniffing instrument, but made it compact enough to fit on someone's forearm. It's like asking how they could possibly design a device like the transporter in Star Trek, which does something that no human could ever survive. You're acting asthough 'Prometheus' is not allowed to comply with the second half of the term 'science fiction'.

Sanjay
post #387 of 531 Old 10-09-2014, 07:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 676
I think one of the problems a lot of people had with the movie was that all the stupid stuff is cumulative - it piles up. The net effect leaves the viewer with a sour taste in his mouth when he should have tasted honey.

And yes, taking off your helmet in an unknown alien atmosphere is really stupid for all the reasons stated above. Trying to pet a space snake is insane. Being triathlon-ready after a cesarean. And so forth. The stupid keeps coming at you in waves.

The distaste for 'Prometheus' amongst the built-in fanbase is more a sense of disappointment, of opportunity lost. Ridley's, and ours.
post #388 of 531 Old 10-09-2014, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
I think one of the problems a lot of people had with the movie was that all the stupid stuff is cumulative - it piles up. The net effect leaves the viewer with a sour taste in his mouth when he should have tasted honey.

And yes, taking off your helmet in an unknown alien atmosphere is really stupid for all the reasons stated above. Trying to pet a space snake is insane. Being triathlon-ready after a cesarean. And so forth. The stupid keeps coming at you in waves.

The distaste for 'Prometheus' amongst the built-in fanbase is more a sense of disappointment, of opportunity lost. Ridley's, and ours.
That expresses it well. We were hoping for something so much better. One aspect of taking off the helmet that hasn't been mentioned is, if you want to study the alien biology, why would you expose it to earth bacteria, etc? Seems to me a conscientious scientist would want pure samples, which you don't get by breathing on them.
post #389 of 531 Old 10-09-2014, 08:00 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post
That expresses it well. We were hoping for something so much better.
I see that this is really the underlying issue with this movie.

Many of you had extreme expectations and they were not met. With that is massive disappointment.
GoCaboNow likes this.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #390 of 531 Old 10-09-2014, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I see that this is really the underlying issue with this movie.

Many of you had extreme expectations and they were not met. With that is massive disappointment.
"Oooh, thats a bingo!"
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page