Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1567 Post(s)
Liked: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
And you were how old at the time?
It was just a continuation of your post Josh; looking for a small pet without knowing that an abominable alien is lurking around, in the dark. ...Like that cat, like that little snake looking like a "penis head", ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 531 Old 10-14-2014, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Any trailer yet of 'Prometheus' sequel? ...More "penis" head looking? ...Cheez whiz.

Last edited by NorthSky; 10-14-2014 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Typo?
post #453 of 531 Old 10-14-2014, 05:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
It was just a continuation of your post Josh; looking for a small pet without knowing that an abominable alien is lurking around, in the dark. ...Like that cat, like that little snake looking like a "penis head", ...
Abominable alien? You mean the cute little thing that bursts through the abdomen of a grown man and killed him? The creature with sharp metal-like tooth and moves fast? Yeah, there's something about that creature that makes people want to hug it.
post #454 of 531 Old 10-14-2014, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoko2 View Post
Hey guys, just wait until the alien ships come to earth for some cattle (humans) that they seeded century's ago for a planet wide barbecue. How do you think you would look layered in sauce?
Ah you read my draft...
post #455 of 531 Old 10-14-2014, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruiser View Post
Fail. Nice try though. Better luck next time.

I have to say that I'm surprised you folded so easily.

No hard feelings.
post #456 of 531 Old 10-14-2014, 10:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
I have to say that I'm surprised you folded so easily.

No hard feelings.
Folded? You mean like dodging my question, " What is the movie equivalent of didn't win the election?"? Or like accusing me of keep posting about the majority or the IMBD ratings but couldn't show the relevant posts of mine? Or telling me that "there's no reason to maintain two threads for one stupid movie" and then later backpedaling to "there's only one Prometheus movie so far. I heard a sequel is in the works though."?

Try to be better prepared next time and you may actually get some mileage out of your argument. IOW, try harder.
post #457 of 531 Old 10-14-2014, 11:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Contrast that with Prometheus, where a trained biologist sees a penis-headed snake monster angrily hissing at him and thinks it'd be a great idea to reach out and pet it. Not the same thing at all.
It's been a while since I watched the movie but wasn't the biologist stoned out of his mind at the time? Or was that just the geologist?
post #458 of 531 Old 10-15-2014, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluescale View Post
It's been a while since I watched the movie but wasn't the biologist stoned out of his mind at the time? Or was that just the geologist?
It was just the geologist.

...And for what it's worth, the biologist wasn't really trying to pet the "animal", as the "defenders of the movie" (like me) have already said that more than once. What do (trained) people do in front of a wild animal? Do they run or try to eliminate fear out of the equation? Otherwise the animal would become defensive and not particularly friendly. Now, I know we're talking of an alien planet and all, but our two guys were alone in a cave without any real spot to hide, with a fast moving beast saying hello. They were not armed, and this thing obviously seemed more "agile" than them. The scene showed Millburn very afraid, yet trying to appear somewhat friendly (i.e. not threatening) to the unknown creature. So I don't know, maybe I'm a complete idiot, but what choice did they have? Running? The creature would have chased them and caught them a few seconds later anyway. He also never touches it, he's actually quite reluctant to get close to it, but he's probably thinking it's a viable option to appear "friendly".

There are other great scenes and exchanges between the characters (Holloway/David, Shaw/Holloway for example) that are much more important in the film than these 2 expendable characters. Oh well...I'll continue to like the movie and think it's much smarter than its detractors seem to think. But to each his own, I'm not trying to change people's mind here. We can all get along right?
post #459 of 531 Old 10-15-2014, 09:13 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post
It was just the geologist.

...And for what it's worth, the biologist wasn't really trying to pet the "animal", as the "defenders of the movie" (like me) have already said that more than once. What do (trained) people do in front of a wild animal? Do they run or try to eliminate fear out of the equation? Otherwise the animal would become defensive and not particularly friendly. Now, I know we're talking of an alien planet and all, but our two guys were alone in a cave without any real spot to hide, with a fast moving beast saying hello. They were not armed, and this thing obviously seemed more "agile" than them. The scene showed Millburn very afraid, yet trying to appear somewhat friendly (i.e. not threatening) to the unknown creature. So I don't know, maybe I'm a complete idiot, but what choice did they have? Running? The creature would have chased them and caught them a few seconds later anyway. He also never touches it, he's actually quite reluctant to get close to it, but he's probably thinking it's a viable option to appear "friendly".
I happen to enjoy the view from both sides on this abominable turd of a film. As long as it's kept in a proper debate fashion, and not like some (I think we all know who) do it...

That said, I think the scene mentioned above was, in fact, portrayed quite idiotically from a scientist on alien planet standpoint. If I saw that thing on my own planet I wouldn't approach it. I wouldn't have run. I'd simply back away and leave the area. And for most of us, the very fact that it did resemble male genitalia would have been reason enough to not want to grab it.

Secondly, the scene was made worse by his happy "I'm petting a puppy" demeanor. If he just had to touch it, he could have at least shown some measure of concern and caution besides approaching it slowly. That part just added to the "what is he thinking" feeling during that scene.

Plus, as you mentioned above, they weren't armed (one guy tried and Shaw didn't want it). On an alien planet. Running into God knows what. And the ship...it had no means of defense, either. Light years (or however far) into uncharted territory, I'd have thought maybe a missile or two would have been a decent precaution, if not wildly insufficient for all they knew.

EDIT: A common complaint I have with most movies holds true to this one. So many little stupid ass things add up. Things that would have been so easy to change and have them make much more sense.

Example: Ship rolling towards you. Don't run straight under it as it's coming. Move to the side. Whoops. Tripped on a rock and broke an ankle. Hopping to the side. Damn. Not quick enough. Splat.

Instead she just keeps running in the same direction.
Tack likes this.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

Last edited by sb1; 10-15-2014 at 09:19 AM.
post #460 of 531 Old 10-15-2014, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post
I happen to enjoy the view from both sides on this abominable turd of a film. As long as it's kept in a proper debate fashion, and not like some (I think we all know who) do it...

That said, I think the scene mentioned above was, in fact, portrayed quite idiotically from a scientist on alien planet standpoint. If I saw that thing on my own planet I wouldn't approach it. I wouldn't have run. I'd simply back away and leave the area. And for most of us, the very fact that it did resemble male genitalia would have been reason enough to not want to grab it.

Secondly, the scene was made worse by his happy "I'm petting a puppy" demeanor. If he just had to touch it, he could have at least shown some measure of concern and caution besides approaching it slowly. That part just added to the "what is he thinking" feeling during that scene.

Plus, as you mentioned above, they weren't armed (one guy tried and Shaw didn't want it). On an alien planet. Running into God knows what. And the ship...it had no means of defense, either. Light years (or however far) into uncharted territory, I'd have thought maybe a missile or two would have been a decent precaution, if not wildly insufficient for all they knew.

EDIT: A common complaint I have with most movies holds true to this one. So many little stupid ass things add up. Things that would have been so easy to change and have them make much more sense.

Example: Ship rolling towards you. Don't run straight under it as it's coming. Move to the side. Whoops. Tripped on a rock and broke an ankle. Hopping to the side. Damn. Not quick enough. Splat.

Instead she just keeps running in the same direction.
Possibly you forgot or you were just enjoying your beer when you read it but all that was already discussed and explained on its own thread. Alien Prequel - Prometheus
You too sound like someone who hasn't yet decoded this movie. Here is the combo to unlock it. Make a use of it if you care to see beyond the "cover".
post #461 of 531 Old 10-15-2014, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post
There are other great scenes and exchanges between the characters (Holloway/David, Shaw/Holloway for example) that are much more important in the film than these 2 expendable characters. Oh well...I'll continue to like the movie and think it's much smarter than its detractors seem to think. But to each his own,
Good point. Yes, to each his own but one or two posters don't seem to believe in such concept. Especially one poster who thinks if people don't agree with his view of this movie, something must be wrong with them when he stated, "I found it howlingly awful, one of the worst movies I've ever seen, and it still flabbergasts me that anyone could try to defend it.".
post #462 of 531 Old 10-15-2014, 10:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Quote:
There's a difference between a young child being afraid while searching for a pet in the dark versus a grown adult man doing the same.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #463 of 531 Old 10-15-2014, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Perhaps bad editing is to blame:

Quote:
Here, though, we see that Millburn’s love of animals (be they alien or otherwise) is established much earlier on – foreshadowing the same curiosity and compassion that would later be his undoing, while also better cluing us in to the effect of the black goo, which takes the sort of harmless animal Millburn captures in this deleted scene, and mutates it into the fearsome thing that kills him later.

Knowing that this scene was left on the cutting room floor, one has to wonder just what Ridley Scott and editor Pietro Scalia were doing in post-production? This small moment would’ve brought much more logic, impact and all-around sense to one of the first big kills in the movie; now that we’re aware of this missed connection, one has to wonder, how many more are there just like it…
http://screenrant.com/prometheus-del...cenes-blu-ray/

Sorry if this has been brought up already...
GoCaboNow likes this.
post #464 of 531 Old 10-15-2014, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

If it is not in the film it does not count. Besides animal lovers (of which I am one) do not try to pet unknown nasty looking and hissing creatures.
post #465 of 531 Old 10-15-2014, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Abominable alien? You mean the cute little thing that bursts through the abdomen of a grown man and killed him? The creature with sharp metal-like tooth and moves fast? Yeah, there's something about that creature that makes people want to hug it.
No no, I'm talking about the big bad mother load alien.
...The one behind that little cute "penis-headed" looking one. ...The mother.
post #466 of 531 Old 10-15-2014, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
There's a difference between a young child being afraid while searching for a pet in the dark versus a grown adult man doing the same.
No, there is no difference; that "grown adult man" like you just called was no adult, but a total idiot, acting below that young child (girl) from that other flick.

Last edited by NorthSky; 10-15-2014 at 06:33 PM.
post #467 of 531 Old 10-15-2014, 06:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
No, there is no difference; that "grown adult man" like you just called was no adult, but a total idiot, acting below that young child (girl) from that other flick.
Just so you're aware, you're not making any sense at all.

Josh Z

post #468 of 531 Old 10-15-2014, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Go ahead Josh; shoot.
post #469 of 531 Old 10-15-2014, 07:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post
If it is not in the film it does not count. Besides animal lovers (of which I am one) do not try to pet unknown nasty looking and hissing creatures.
What about a stupid biologist who may have been picked out of "unemployed" bin? On the same note, what about a geologist who looks like a recently released parolee with short temper and not so fond of social activity but more concerned with money (probably desperate for it - must have done something)?
post #470 of 531 Old 10-15-2014, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

OK, OK, so a Rabbi, a stupid biologist, and an angry geologist walk into a bar and order three Baileys...

ah, who cares.

If you take anything at all from this movie, people, make sure to be careful about the creatures you meet in caves!

post #471 of 531 Old 10-16-2014, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
OK, OK, so a Rabbi, a stupid biologist, and an angry geologist walk into a bar and order three Baileys...

ah, who cares.
Folded so easily... I'm not surprised.
post #472 of 531 Old 10-16-2014, 09:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 80
OK, OK, so a Rabbi, a stupid biologist, and an angry geologist walk into a bar and order three Baileys..., and they see a hissing, penis shaped alien life form on the bar in front of them, surrounded by three big glasses of black, sludgy stuff, which they assume is English beer...
Tack and Bluescale like this.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

post #473 of 531 Old 10-16-2014, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Folded so easily... I'm not surprised.

I'm sorry sir, but the debate staff all left the office when unfortunately, you wouldn't own up to your very own quote. The staff have neither the time nor the interest in dishonest debating. It's really a zero tolerance matter I'm told.

You can apply for reinstatement, but I'm afraid you will have to make a retraction first. Have a great day.
post #474 of 531 Old 10-16-2014, 10:18 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
I'm sorry sir, but the debate staff all left the office when unfortunately, you wouldn't own up to your very own quote. The staff have neither the time nor the interest in dishonest debating. It's really a zero tolerance matter I'm told.

You can apply for reinstatement, but I'm afraid you will have to make a retraction first. Have a great day.
After catching enough glimpses of quotes from someone on my ignore list, I'm beginning to think we have an angry mid 20's female in our midst who hates men and applauds this film's ironic use of an angry space penis to kill them. It's the only rational explanation. Of course I'm not naming anyone. That would be rude.

I'm going to go watch Prometheus now for some intellectual stimulation. Bye bye.

Quote:

Face palm. And I'm pretty sure we'll know exactly how the pyramids were built before we know what Scott was thinking.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

Last edited by sb1; 10-16-2014 at 10:24 AM.
post #475 of 531 Old 10-16-2014, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sounds like denial. Who is the one that started dodging the question when I asked, "What is the movie equivalent of didn't win the election?"? By the way, you can still answer that question if you want to.
post #476 of 531 Old 10-16-2014, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Sounds like denial. Who is the one that started dodging the question when I asked, "What is the movie equivalent of didn't win the election?"? By the way, you can still answer that question if you want to.

post #477 of 531 Old 10-16-2014, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post
I'm going to go watch Prometheus now for some intellectual stimulation. Bye bye.
Just curious, will there be beer present in the room?

It's October you know...
GoCaboNow likes this.
post #478 of 531 Old 10-16-2014, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Yup, he folded for sure.
post #479 of 531 Old 10-16-2014, 01:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post
OK, OK, so a Rabbi, a stupid biologist, and an angry geologist walk into a bar and order three Baileys..., and they see a hissing, penis shaped alien life form on the bar in front of them, surrounded by three big glasses of black, sludgy stuff, which they assume is English beer...
This plot already makes more sense than Prometheus.

Josh Z

post #480 of 531 Old 10-16-2014, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post
The biologist looks at the alien for a second before saying "Why the long face?"

....so the geologist turns to the biologist and says "Hey, when I was on LV223, one of those hissing penis thingies bit off my leg!"

The rabbi then asks "Oh yeah? Which one?"

Replied the geologist, "How the hell should I know? They all look the same to me!"

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page