post #91 of 531 Old 03-03-2013, 03:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

You have to be able to see the potential there, even if the pilot is uneven. Since I don't watch anything on TV besides ambitious serialized dramas (and aren't terribly interested in many of today's movies) and I have a DVR with a basically unlimited storage footprint, I end up trying most of the ones that show promise and get early good reviews by critics I trust. I get burned a lot since most of them get cancelled, especially the really smart, complex-plotted ones ('Rubicon'). Occasionally one of them is so lame I bail early and it gets cancelled anyway ('Zero Hour'). I call that a "win".

But without that policy in place I would have never gotten invested in so many outstanding, brilliantly written & acted series that I'm glad I got to see and were absolutely worth the time ('Breaking Bad', 'Justified', 'Homeland', 'The Americans', 'Treme', 'Game of Thrones', 'Boardwalk Empire', 'Boss', etc.). All but one of those is still running and perhaps the best - 'Breaking Bad' - is finishing up this year on its own terms. I like stories that have endings as well as beginnings.
I noticed we watch some of the same shows.
My DVR only allows me to program 50 series at a time and always has at least a dozen in storage.
Most are for the wife's entertainment (Cupcake Wars, anyone?rolleyes.gif).

Anyway, I watch a lot of movies on BD.
I buy at least one a week and I have NF too.
So my "schedule" is pretty booked up and it takes something unique to get my attention.
For example, the History Channel has a new series starting called Vikings....I'll be tuning in.wink.gif
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2306299/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 531 Old 03-03-2013, 03:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I noticed we watch some of the same shows.
My DVR only allows me to program 50 series at a time and always has at least a dozen in storage.
Most are for the wife's entertainment (Cupcake Wars, anyone?rolleyes.gif).

Mrs. Archiguy loves 'Say Yes to the Dress' and those house-hunter shows. Occasionally I'll watch 'Nashville' with her. I'm fascinated by Connie Britton's hair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink 
For example, the History Channel has a new series starting called Vikings....I'll be tuning in.wink.gif
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2306299/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Already got that one set up for the season. I'll warm up for it with some 'Spartacus WotD'. That should slate my thirst for blood, by Odin!
post #93 of 531 Old 03-03-2013, 04:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Already got that one set up for the season. I'll warm up for it with some 'Spartacus WotD'. That should slate my thirst for blood, by Odin!
Speaking of "blood," True Blood should be starting up again in a few months....

post #94 of 531 Old 03-03-2013, 04:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Speaking of "blood," True Blood should be starting up again in a few months....

Yeah, we watch that one - completely preposterous but fun. Kinda' like 'Spartacus'.
post #95 of 531 Old 03-03-2013, 06:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yeah, we watch that one - completely preposterous but fun. Kinda' like 'Spartacus'.
I get a real kick out of the show's goofy characters....for example, the genius also known as "Jason."biggrin.gif

post #96 of 531 Old 03-03-2013, 11:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

Which is exactly how their religious "leaders" prefer it. wink.gif Nothing new there. For centuries, the Roman Catholic Church and their royal allies prevented the peasantry from learning to read and write, often under punishment of death. Heaven forbid the Great Unwashed were actually able to read the Bible and form their own opinions of its content, or even worse, disseminating those opinions to their fellow peasants. It was, and to a certain extent still is, all about control.

LOL much like the AGW crowd , it's all about control especially if you pay your carbon credit, you might go to heaven, don't read any fine print though.biggrin.gif
Quote:

I think the religious overtones in Prometheus were kind of overblown anyway. If Scott tries to make a connection with the Engineers and early Christianity in the sequels, they will be barking up the wrong ecclesiastical tree, IMO. Keep it secular and scientifically grounded and you'll have a better science fiction story.

It depends on the viewer's POV, usually the two lunatic extreme ends that are bothered by any presence or mention of religion in SCI-Fi films. Those of us who consider the subject a cultural and historical in nature, regarding it's existence toward mankind, will just observe such passages or references as mere curiosity, or just a plot device.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #97 of 531 Old 03-04-2013, 12:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

LOL much like the AGW crowd , it's all about control especially if you pay your carbon credit, you might go to heaven, don't read any fine print though.biggrin.gif
I am not sure how you equate Anthropogenic (human-originating) Global Warming with what Arch said.....

post #98 of 531 Old 03-04-2013, 06:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I am not sure how you equate Anthropogenic (human-originating) Global Warming with what Arch said.....

I assume he means to equate an acceptance of the overwhelming scientific evidence that the planet is warming with the blind adherence to non-scientific faith-based religion. A common straw-man argument designed to discredit the science to fit the corporate agenda that fears potential loss of profits if the carbon problem is ever seriously addressed and green energy ever starts to threaten established oil, gas, and coal industries. The weapon of choice is ridicule. And the energy companies have a handful of pseudo-scientists on the payroll to give them "cover". It's worked pretty well for around 40 years now. But the unavoidable fact of rising sea levels and atmospheric CO2 concentrations are requiring some adjustments. Hence, the grudging acceptance of climate change, just denying that people and the trillions of tons of greenhouse gasses added to the atmosphere every year have anything to do with it. It's a kind of evolution in rhetoric that's fascinating to watch.

However, science couldn't be further from religion. One is based on evidentiary, fact-based, means-tested, data-gathered, peer-reviewed conclusions. The other is based on blind faith, and scientific evidence is either dismissed or rendered irrelevant. The beauty of it is that, by definition, faith requires no evidence, no data, no proof. And the stronger one resists these things, the stronger one's faith - a kind of feedback loop of blissful ignorance. It's a time-tested procedure for achieving control over people's pesky insistence on believing what their eyes tell them instead of what the Holy Leaders to whom they ought to be paying attention decide to tell them. The only real difference now as opposed to the 1000 year dark age the RC Church presided over is they can't kill you now. So there's that.
post #99 of 531 Old 03-04-2013, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Boys, you don't want to take this road...
post #100 of 531 Old 03-04-2013, 09:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I assume he means to equate an acceptance of the overwhelming scientific evidence that the planet is warming with the blind adherence to non-scientific faith-based religion. A common straw-man argument designed to discredit the science to fit the corporate agenda that fears potential loss of profits if the carbon problem is ever seriously addressed and green energy ever starts to threaten established oil, gas, and coal industries. The weapon of choice is ridicule. And the energy companies have a handful of pseudo-scientists on the payroll to give them "cover". It's worked pretty well for around 40 years now. But the unavoidable fact of rising sea levels and atmospheric CO2 concentrations are requiring some adjustments. Hence, the grudging acceptance of climate change, just denying that people and the trillions of tons of greenhouse gasses added to the atmosphere every year have anything to do with it. It's a kind of evolution in rhetoric that's fascinating to watch.

However, science couldn't be further from religion. One is based on evidentiary, fact-based, means-tested, data-gathered, peer-reviewed conclusions. The other is based on blind faith, and scientific evidence is either dismissed or rendered irrelevant. The beauty of it is that, by definition, faith requires no evidence, no data, no proof. And the stronger one resists these things, the stronger one's faith - a kind of feedback loop of blissful ignorance. It's a time-tested procedure for achieving control over people's pesky insistence on believing what their eyes tell them instead of what the Holy Leaders to whom they ought to be paying attention decide to tell them. The only real difference now as opposed to the 1000 year dark age the RC Church presided over is they can't kill you now. So there's that.
Agree 100%.

Like our friend from Gothenburg advises, let's let this one go....wink.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post

Boys, you don't want to take this road...

post #101 of 531 Old 03-04-2013, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 37
To switch to a more light subject.

I managed to dig up Noomi Rapace acting debut on television.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4Agkere6IIY

00:56 into the clip.
post #102 of 531 Old 03-04-2013, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post

To switch to a more light subject.

I managed to dig up Noomi Rapace acting debut on television.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4Agkere6IIY

00:56 into the clip.

Your link opens in mobile format... I hope you don't mind me doing this, so here's the video wink.gif

cute Noomi!!! smile.gif
post #103 of 531 Old 03-04-2013, 08:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

I've said it before but Spaights' script was a lot more "believable" to me. The trip was funded to get terraforming technology as the data they had strongly suggested entities from the cave paintings posessed. Straight, believable and on point. Shaw spent more time running and fighting Aliens then talking about her faith. Basically, RS replaced a good chunk of the horror and action element in Spaights' draft to have the faith angle. I guess RS felt he'd been there done that but I am hoping there is more horror, action and believability in the sequel.
Back to Prometheus, correct me if I'm wrong, JS script was to be a direct prequel to Alien (LV-426). In his script, this moon LV-426 is or was being terraformed by engineer's technology which Weyland wanted but didn't pan out that way. In Alien, there was no mention of Magellan wreckage or even a trace of human technology on the surface despite the presence of wrecked "derelict" ship. In Aliens, Weyland company not only has the terraform technology but had it set up and operating on LV-426 (granted, it's 57 years later). Do you think there's a big plot hole on JS script?
post #104 of 531 Old 03-06-2013, 04:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

Lol You know what they say about assumption,right? Talking about straw men arguments,you can't even correctly describe what the opposition is about,and you expect any intelligent debate after that.No, you'll remain in your dungeon below,where you like it anyway.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #105 of 531 Old 03-06-2013, 06:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

Lol You know what they say about assumption,right? Talking about straw men arguments,you can't even correctly describe what the opposition is about,and you expect any intelligent debate after that.No, you'll remain in your dungeon below,where you like it anyway.

Boy, just can't help yourself from personal attacks, can you? Actually, no, I didn't expect any "intelligent debate", nor was I trying to solicit any. You can't reason somebody out of a position they didn't reason themselves into to begin with. That's kind of the crux of the science vs. religion issue. Oddly, it's rather light and sunny down in the "dungeon"; guess that's where rational thought lives.
post #106 of 531 Old 03-06-2013, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I heard they have hired the writing team from Battlefield 3000.

BDP103>SR7007>55"ES8000
post #107 of 531 Old 03-06-2013, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruiser View Post

Back to Prometheus, correct me if I'm wrong, JS script was to be a direct prequel to Alien (LV-426). In his script, this moon LV-426 is or was being terraformed by engineer's technology which Weyland wanted but didn't pan out that way. In Alien, there was no mention of Magellan wreckage or even a trace of human technology on the surface despite the presence of wrecked "derelict" ship. In Aliens, Weyland company not only has the terraform technology but had it set up and operating on LV-426 (granted, it's 57 years later). Do you think there's a big plot hole on JS script?

I suppose one can try to explain away anything. smile.gif

JS script ends with the pyramids sending multiple beacons of light out as David and Watts are stranded there. One would assume the beacons would draw the engineers sooner than later? Granted, no engineer interest to this seemingly important outpost in 2000 years since it was devestated. Anywho, JS wrote the beacons teaser, so one could assume the engineers arrived and cleaned up some of the mess and had new adventures with Watts and David. Perhaps they cleaned it up as a trap for future human explorers, or dealing with Watts/David they were forced to leave before they could fully re-establish the outpost? Maybe, the current political climate for the engineers abdicates less direct contact with humans so another reason they cleaned it up?

Or was just a plot hole...tongue.gif

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #108 of 531 Old 03-06-2013, 11:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Boy, just can't help yourself from personal attacks, can you? Actually, no, I didn't expect any "intelligent debate", nor was I trying to solicit any. You can't reason somebody out of a position they didn't reason themselves into to begin with. That's kind of the crux of the science vs. religion issue. Oddly, it's rather light and sunny down in the "dungeon"; guess that's where rational thought lives.
You're just wasting your time with him...
Remember Internet Maxim# 836: DON'T FEED THE TROLLS.wink.gif

post #109 of 531 Old 03-06-2013, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

JS script ends with the pyramids sending multiple beacons of light out as David and Watts are stranded there. One would assume the beacons would draw the engineers sooner than later? Granted, no engineer interest to this seemingly important outpost in 2000 years since it was devestated. Anywho, JS wrote the beacons teaser, so one could assume the engineers arrived and cleaned up some of the mess and had new adventures with Watts and David. Perhaps they cleaned it up as a trap for future human explorers, or dealing with Watts/David they were forced to leave before they could fully re-establish the outpost? Maybe, the current political climate for the engineers abdicates less direct contact with humans so another reason they cleaned it up?
Just like The Thing prequel with 2 snow mobiles at the end. frown.gif
I appreciate your effort with the explanation / speculation but sorry, none were very strong, IMO.
Quote:
Or was just a plot hole...tongue.gif
Now that's much stronger! tongue.gif
post #110 of 531 Old 03-06-2013, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You're just wasting your time with him...
Remember Internet Maxim# 836: DON'T FEED THE TROLLS.wink.gif
Or as someone said before. vv
Quote:
You're wasting your time with that jejune.
post #111 of 531 Old 03-13-2013, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

Lindelof was brought in because he convinced Scott that the sequel to 'Prometheus' shouldn't be 'Alien' (i.e., they shouldn't be making a direct prequel). His example was the 'Star Wars' prequels, which destroyed what he considered one of the greatest surprises in film history (Luke, I am your father). If you already know the outcome of the story, he argued, how can you build up any supsense or tension. This fresh approach was enough to get him a crack at doing a rewrite of Spaihts' script. Lindelof said that his draft still includes many elements from the original; indeed Spaihts still got top billing under the "screenplay by" credit.

So we got instead a movie with no narrative sense or suspense.

I hate stupid "smart" movies-- movies that act like it has some deep ideas in their heads but are so stupid and wrong on execution, plotting, character development and behavior, you want to beat the crap out of the screenwriter for wasting so many talented people's time and the audience's time, money, and good will.

One example among the countless stupidities: they traveled across the galaxy and found HUMANS, but the "scientist" is all disappointed and mopey because they're all dead. I guess he was expecting them to roll out a red carpet and throw a party. Sheesh.

This is what Prometheus is: imagine at the beginning of 2001, instead of "we found a monolith that sent a signal to Saturn, we're going to go investigate", we are told "gentlemen, we are about to embark on a mission to find the origin of our species, to meet our creators, and to learn the ultimate destiny of the human race" Wooo. Then when the ship gets there, they find a race of giant planet eating star babies. Sh-- ensues and they blow up the joint and shut down the portal or whatever. The end. Wait! Cliffhanger reveal! One star baby got through and is now heading for earth. The end!

Duh.
post #112 of 531 Old 03-13-2013, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post

One example among the countless stupidities: they traveled across the galaxy and found HUMANS, but the "scientist" is all disappointed and mopey because they're all dead. I guess he was expecting them to roll out a red carpet and throw a party. Sheesh.

Engineers are humanoids, not humans.
post #113 of 531 Old 03-13-2013, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

you want to beat the crap out of the screenwriter for wasting so many talented people's time and the audience's time, money, and good will.
Have you read the script? If not, give it a try. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1155877/alien-prequel-prometheus/2310#post_22770238
post #114 of 531 Old 03-13-2013, 10:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked: 1029
Quote:

So we got instead a movie with no narrative sense or suspense.
You got a movie with no narrative sense or suspense. It held my attention well enough that I saw it four times in the theatres, enjoying it more with each viewing.
Quote:

One example among the countless stupidities: they traveled across the galaxy and found HUMANS, but the "scientist" is all disappointed and mopey because they're all dead.
It didn't bother me that the script gave the scientists human failings (e.g., moping). In fact, it was those all-too-human flaws that allowed me to connect with those characters and made the story interesting to me.
Quote:

imagine at the beginning of 2001, instead of "we found a monolith that sent a signal to Saturn, we're going to go investigate", we are told "gentlemen, we are about to embark on a mission to find the origin of our species, to meet our creators, and to learn the ultimate destiny of the human race"...
The scientists in '2001' act no less human. When they're taking the moonbus to the mysterious monolith, what revealing discussion are they having? Whether the sandwiches have gotten better tasting. Then they arrive at the monolith, the first piece of absolute proof we've found demonstrating intelligent life outside our own. How do they investigate this monumental find? Pose for group pictures asthough they were at a tourist attraction. I don't have a problem with scientists acting that way any more than I have with a scientist moping.

Sanjay
post #115 of 531 Old 03-13-2013, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
I think people are just conditioned to have everything laid out now a days. If theyre not told, they flip. Lucas cinema has finally hit the population, where back in the day it was ridiculed.

90% of the problems or lack of narrative are not. They're in the movie but easy to overlook, because there's no explicit dialogue. Scotts biggest issue was assuming audiences hadn't changed and would enjoy and pick up on the details in editing, cinematography and the narrative embeded in actions and scenes.

That said a few didnt work, nor would they be how I would have done them for todays audience. But honestly, they're no worse than similar scenes they pay direct homage to in ALIEN. And anyone trying to hold one over the outher is just a DB, because they use the same old gimmicks Scott helped pioneer (and steal )
post #116 of 531 Old 03-13-2013, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 133
You mean like being sent off alone to look for a cat while a creature that popped out of your shipmate's chest is running around?

post #117 of 531 Old 03-13-2013, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Or having both the Captain and XO head off into a ALIEN ship from the Nostromo leaving a Lt in charge, after leaving a trillion dollar refinery in orbit alone with no supervision. Want to talk about maritime (spacefareing) negligence?

Or a bunch of other things, or simple horror tropes.

Hipsters trying to rip apart movies on the internet is getting old. It doesn't make you smart, just a douche, because no work of fiction will hold up once you start down that road.
post #118 of 531 Old 03-14-2013, 11:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

You got a movie with no narrative sense or suspense. It held my attention well enough that I saw it four times in the theatres, enjoying it more with each viewing.
It didn't bother me that the script gave the scientists human failings (e.g., moping). In fact, it was those all-too-human flaws that allowed me to connect with those characters and made the story interesting to me.
The scientists in '2001' act no less human. When they're taking the moonbus to the mysterious monolith, what revealing discussion are they having? Whether the sandwiches have gotten better tasting. Then they arrive at the monolith, the first piece of absolute proof we've found demonstrating intelligent life outside our own. How do they investigate this monumental find? Pose for group pictures asthough they were at a tourist attraction. I don't have a problem with scientists acting that way any more than I have with a scientist moping.
You have a point.
However, in Prometheus, it just doesn't work.
The "scientists" reminded me of some of the characters in Trainspotting....and that ain't good.wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Or having both the Captain and XO head off into a ALIEN ship from the Nostromo leaving a Lt in charge, after leaving a trillion dollar refinery in orbit alone with no supervision. Want to talk about maritime (spacefareing) negligence?

Or a bunch of other things, or simple horror tropes.
True.

Quote:
Hipsters trying to rip apart movies on the internet is getting old. It doesn't make you smart, just a douche, because no work of fiction will hold up once you start down that road.
And we wouldn't have anyone posting on this forum.biggrin.gif

post #119 of 531 Old 03-14-2013, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And we wouldn't have anyone posting on this forum.biggrin.gif

Yet Josh manages to stay quiet so far. wink.gif
post #120 of 531 Old 03-14-2013, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
You have a point.
However, in Prometheus, it just doesn't work.
The "scientists" reminded me of some of the characters in Trainspotting....and that ain't good.wink.gif

The "scientists" are also the comic relief; every movie has one or two, they just happen to be scientists in this one.

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page