post #181 of 305 Old 03-31-2014, 08:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbuudo07 View Post

I think the characters that weren't so great were all killed off leaving the two best characters to continue the story.
I hadn't thought about it before, but you're absolutely right.cool.gif
Dbuudo07 likes this.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 305 Old 03-31-2014, 10:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:

I think the characters that weren't so great were all killed off leaving the two best characters to continue the story.

Shaw was almost as big a moron as the dipwad who reached out to pet the penis snake.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #183 of 305 Old 03-31-2014, 11:30 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Shaw was almost as big a moron as the dipwad who reached out to pet the penis snake.
But she could run a marathon immediately after a c-section.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #184 of 305 Old 03-31-2014, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:

Never said they were perfect, just one of the best characters in the film. You're flawed too, Josh, and we still talk to you. tongue.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

But she could run a marathon immediately after a c-section.

That doesn't mean the character is stupid, just the moment.

David Budo
post #185 of 305 Old 03-31-2014, 12:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Never said they were perfect, just one of the best characters in the film. You're flawed too, Josh, and we still talk to you. tongue.gif

There's a difference between "flawed" and "totally incompetent at the elemental basics of her job." Shaw is supposedly an archaelogist. In the opening scene, she finds a 35,000 year-old cave painting and blithely knocks down a wall and invites everyone in to come look at it, with no concern at all about damaging the find. She sees a drawing of a tall guy pointing at stars and immediately leaps to the conclusion that this is an "invitation" for us to go there, based on nothing. She never even considers the possibility that the message of the drawing could be: "Don't ever go there. It's very very dangerous. Seriously, stay the f*** away!"

After traveling halfway across the universe in search of the first signs of intelligent alien life, she once again rushes into the structure, trampling over everything and barely even stopping to look at anything, much less make any attempt to document or preserve it.

Shaw finds one empty building and promptly concludes that the whole alien race is extinct, again based on nothing. It never occurs to her that she might want to look around a little more before making sweeping declarations like that.

When her moron boyfriend removes his space helmet at the first sign of breathable air, she quickly does likewise, unconcerned with any possibility of alien toxins or bacteria or other dangers that their sensors have no way of detecting. Not to mention the potential harm that breathing their Earthly germs and microbes into the air could have on the location.

Like all the other characters in the movie, Shaw is a straight-up idiot. She should have dropped dead the second she took off her helmet.

Josh Z

post #186 of 305 Old 03-31-2014, 12:27 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Like so many other things in so many other films....the situation(s) could have been done differently (much more believable) and still moved the story where it needed to go. Those types of situations are countless in this one, though. To the point where I'm honestly surprised (but not really) that it was as well reviewed as it was by critics. This is all relevant because it leaves little hope for the sequel. Or prequel, equal, reboot, or whatever the hell Hollywood can come up with that ultimately ends in a disappointing blingy thing to satisfy the masses.

Stephen.

post #187 of 305 Old 03-31-2014, 01:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

There's a difference between "flawed" and "totally incompetent at the elemental basics of her job." Shaw is supposedly an archaelogist. In the opening scene, she finds a 35,000 year-old cave painting and blithely knocks down a wall and invites everyone in to come look at it, with no concern at all about damaging the find. She sees a drawing of a tall guy pointing at stars and immediately leaps to the conclusion that this is an "invitation" for us to go there, based on nothing. She never even considers the possibility that the message of the drawing could be: "Don't ever go there. It's very very dangerous. Seriously, stay the f*** away!"

After traveling halfway across the universe in search of the first signs of intelligent alien life, she once again rushes into the structure, trampling over everything and barely even stopping to look at anything, much less make any attempt to document or preserve it.

Shaw finds one empty building and promptly concludes that the whole alien race is extinct, again based on nothing. It never occurs to her that she might want to look around a little more before making sweeping declarations like that.

When her moron boyfriend removes his space helmet at the first sign of breathable air, she quickly does likewise, unconcerned with any possibility of alien toxins or bacteria or other dangers that their sensors have no way of detecting. Not to mention the potential harm that breathing their Earthly germs and microbes into the air could have on the location.

Like all the other characters in the movie, Shaw is a straight-up idiot. She should have dropped dead the second she took off her helmet.
I guess I'll say she was one off the least off-able characters....tongue.gif

Quote:

Like so many other things in so many other films....the situation(s) could have been done differently (much more believable) and still moved the story where it needed to go. Those types of situations are countless in this one, though. To the point where I'm honestly surprised (but not really) that it was as well reviewed as it was by critics. This is all relevant because it leaves little hope for the sequel. Or prequel, equal, reboot, or whatever the hell Hollywood can come up with that ultimately ends in a disappointing blingy thing to satisfy the masses.
The fixes to Prometheus were easy to do, which makes the fact it wasn't done all the more difficult to swallow.

post #188 of 305 Old 03-31-2014, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:

ok that's enough: Dune sucks.

wink.gif
Dbuudo07 and zoey67 like this.
post #189 of 305 Old 03-31-2014, 02:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

wink.gif
Hey NOW!tongue.gif

post #190 of 305 Old 03-31-2014, 05:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

All this whining about crappy scientists won't do any good, guys:

post #191 of 305 Old 03-31-2014, 11:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

wink.gif
Amen, Hallelujah, Praise the Lord,..someone just got P owned
post #192 of 305 Old 04-02-2014, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I'm playing through the video game Fallout 3 right now. The game includes several post-release extra missions, the last of which is called "Mothership Zeta", released in 2009. Your character is abducted by aliens in this mission and has to fight his way off their ship. One of the human characters you encounter, a fellow abductee, posits that maybe these aliens seeded the Earth with life long ago, and periodically visited to see how things were going (you find they've been abducting people for a long time), but were now so upset with us that they decided to wipe us out. I nearly spit out my beer upon realizing that the writers of Prometheus may have stolen (intentionally or not) the idea for the plot from a video game biggrin.gif

jeff
post #193 of 305 Old 04-02-2014, 10:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjp View Post

One of the human characters you encounter, a fellow abductee, posits that maybe these aliens seeded the Earth with life long ago, and periodically visited to see how things were going (you find they've been abducting people for a long time), but were now so upset with us that they decided to wipe us out. I nearly spit out my beer upon realizing that the writers of Prometheus may have stolen (intentionally or not) the idea for the plot from a video game biggrin.gif

jeff
To be fair, I think that setup has been around for quite awhile.

post #194 of 305 Old 04-03-2014, 05:14 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I hadn't thought about it before, but you're absolutely right.cool.gif

Same here!

Dbuudo07 likes this.
post #195 of 305 Old 04-03-2014, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:

...these aliens seeded the Earth with life long ago, and periodically visited to see how things were going (you find they've been abducting people for a long time

Yes we did, and yes we do. biggrin.gifWarning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
However, it is much easier for you to believe in your fairy tales rather than deal with reality. Until you realize that you are you are a powerful god capable of doing and being whatever you want, your growth will be limited. And that is exactly what "they" want to do: limit your understanding of who and what you truly are.
Keenan likes this.
post #196 of 305 Old 04-03-2014, 08:42 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I nearly spit out my beer upon realizing that the writers of Prometheus may have stolen (intentionally or not) the idea for the plot from a video game
The video game is probably far more enjoyable. Tell me, do any of the main characters in the video game have an IQ over 10? That may be a possible avenue for the Prometheus sequel to go down.

Stephen.

post #197 of 305 Old 04-03-2014, 06:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

To be fair, I think that setup has been around for quite awhile.
Agreed, I'm sure the writers for the game "stole" it from someplace else. It was just really funny to hear the Prometheus plot succinctly explained in some random dialogue from a video game that came out a couple years earlier.
post #198 of 305 Old 04-03-2014, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:

You wonder why mediocrity is being promoted?
post #199 of 305 Old 04-03-2014, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:

I'm playing through the video game Fallout 3 right now. The game includes several post-release extra missions, the last of which is called "Mothership Zeta", released in 2009. Your character is abducted by aliens in this mission and has to fight his way off their ship. One of the human characters you encounter, a fellow abductee, posits that maybe these aliens seeded the Earth with life long ago, and periodically visited to see how things were going (you find they've been abducting people for a long time), but were now so upset with us that they decided to wipe us out. I nearly spit out my beer upon realizing that the writers of Prometheus may have stolen (intentionally or not) the idea for the plot from a video game biggrin.gif

jeff

There's nothing new about that plot that Bethesda came up with. There was a ST:TNG episode with the same plot years ago, and I'm sure it wasn't even close to being the first.
post #200 of 305 Old 04-05-2014, 01:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 193
^^^ Haha, the reps from Russia and Ukraine are more or less equal delegates in that old episode. Maybe the ending would have changed if the story took place after recent world events. tongue.gif

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #201 of 305 Old 04-06-2014, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Dumb or Mad scientists is necessary to create interesting movies. I don't want movies about ordinary cars, zippers or rainforrests. Give me a T-Rex, Terminators and Solaranite any day.

Good movies are as rare as an on topic discussion.
post #202 of 305 Old 04-06-2014, 07:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post

Dumb or Mad scientists is necessary to create interesting movies. I don't want movies about ordinary cars, zippers or rainforrests. Give me a T-Rex, Terminators and Solaranite any day.
Well said.biggrin.gif

post #203 of 305 Old 04-06-2014, 09:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post

Dumb or Mad scientists is necessary to create interesting movies.

No, they're not.

Josh Z

post #204 of 305 Old 04-06-2014, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:

No, they're not.
Agreed. One of the unfortunate aspects of Hollywood movies is the typical portrayal of scientists. They're typically shown as stupid (something of a contradiction) and/or crazy and/or evil and/or simply amoral. Not accurate.
post #205 of 305 Old 04-06-2014, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post

Agreed. One of the unfortunate aspects of Hollywood movies is the typical portrayal of scientists. They're typically shown as stupid (something of a contradiction) and/or crazy and/or evil and/or simply amoral. Not accurate.
You know there is a difference between a movie and a documentary.
post #206 of 305 Old 04-06-2014, 12:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

But...do you trust them?wink.gif

post #207 of 305 Old 04-06-2014, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruiser View Post

You know there is a difference between a movie and a documentary.
One could say the same thing about any other group that's stereotyped in movies. The difference is no one protests the depiction of scientists.
post #208 of 305 Old 04-06-2014, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 51
Quote:

One could say the same thing about any other group that's stereotyped in movies. The difference is no one protests the depiction of scientists.
Would you care to delve into it on Prometheus thread?
post #209 of 305 Old 04-06-2014, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

You are missing the point, its not about creating accurate portrayal of scientist, but to create interesting stories.

Just face it, responsible, sane and careful scientists are as boring as a square meatball.

Good movies are as rare as an on topic discussion.
post #210 of 305 Old 04-07-2014, 04:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 604
And don't forget -- they paid a lot of money for those actors' pretty faces (well, some of 'em. Work with me here). Can't keep 'em bottled up in space helmets for half the movie.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page