Forum Jump: 
 11Likes

post #1 of 321 Old 08-02-2012, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Michael Fassbender and Noomi Rapace are contractually bound to the sequel.

"Ridley Scott’s “Prometheus” might not have been the biggest hit of the summer, but it certainly was one of the most intriguing ones. That’s why it shouldn’t come as much of a surprise that 20th Century Fox is putting a sequel to the sci-film high up on their priority list.

The Hollywood Reporter confirmed the news in its recap of the summer blockbusters that are getting sequels from their respective studios. Apparently Fox is planning to turn the “Alien” spin-off into its own franchise."

"Marines have no qualms about killing Martians"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 321 Old 08-03-2012, 04:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Good news also is that this from AICN:

Fox confirms to THR that Scott and the studio actively are pushing ahead with a follow-up (stars Michael Fassbender and Noomi Rapace are signed) and are talking to new writers because Prometheus co-scribe Damon Lindelof might not be available.
post #3 of 321 Old 08-03-2012, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
I think he gets a lot of a bad rap. My favorite scene in the movie was the exchange between David and Holloway, and that was 100% Lindelof. Shaw and David are his creation.

Seeing as the next film is centered 100% on them (most likely), it might not be such a good thing that their creator is gone.

I'd rather a movie with soul that messes up the small stuff, then a narratively perfect and believable movie that is souless.
post #4 of 321 Old 08-04-2012, 12:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

I think he gets a lot of a bad rap. My favorite scene in the movie was the exchange between David and Holloway, and that was 100% Lindelof. Shaw and David are his creation.
Seeing as the next film is centered 100% on them (most likely), it might not be such a good thing that their creator is gone.
I'd rather a movie with soul that messes up the small stuff, then a narratively perfect and believable movie that is souless.
I'm totally on board with that last stmt but if it's true he's the main writer for Lost then I'm also fine with that as I can't stand that silly soap opera crap. My parents tried many times to get me into Lost in their camp but just could never last an ep as it was so stupid It was always the same thing, get the audience to to watch and watch and then cut off with a silly cliff hanger to drag it on and on,
post #5 of 321 Old 08-04-2012, 01:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

just could never last an ep as it was so stupid It was always the same thing, get the audience to to watch and watch and then cut off with a silly cliff hanger to drag it on and on,
I hear ya.
I so, Soo, SOO ,wanted Lost to be something special....
Unfortunately, I just couldn't appreciate the series....

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #6 of 321 Old 08-04-2012, 07:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 653
Fellow dudes, LOST was something special. Trust me on this. For 5 seasons it was the smartest and most entertaining, fascinating, thrilling, mind-bending, and coolest show on TV not named 'Battlestar Galactica'. They had a chance to, literally, create the best television show of all time. Then they hit the proverbial wall, and they hit it hard.

It's like they completely changed the writing staff during the hiatus between S-5 & S-6, and the new guys didn't have a clue what the old guys had done. Never seen anything quite like it.

I'll never understand how you fumble the ball at the one yard line when you're soooo close to entertainment immortality. But Lindelof & Cuse somehow managed to do precisely that. frown.gif
post #7 of 321 Old 08-04-2012, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

Good news also is that this from AICN:
Fox confirms to THR that Scott and the studio actively are pushing ahead with a follow-up (stars Michael Fassbender and Noomi Rapace are signed) and are talking to new writers because Prometheus co-scribe Damon Lindelof might not be available.

That or the audience 'Might Not Be Available' for the sequal
post #8 of 321 Old 08-04-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Fellow dudes, LOST was something special. Trust me on this. For 5 seasons it was the smartest and most entertaining, fascinating, thrilling, mind-bending, and coolest show on TV not named 'Battlestar Galactica'. They had a chance to, literally, create the best television show of all time. Then they hit the proverbial wall, and they hit it hard.
It's like they completely changed the writing staff during the hiatus between S-5 & S-6, and the new guys didn't have a clue what the old guys had done. Never seen anything quite like it.
I'll never understand how you fumble the ball at the one yard line when you're soooo close to entertainment immortality. But Lindelof & Cuse somehow managed to do precisely that. frown.gif

I haven't watched it, but it is a problem with open ended serialization. BSG even bobbled the ball a bit in it's last 10 episodes, trying too hard to tie up all the loose threads. Lost seemed to full out fumble from what I read.

Still, would the prior stuff be so great if they didn't take that approach? It's a trade off IMO, plus it's still a somewhat new and risky form of entertainment outside of HBO. Caprica was the same way, but they fumbled on the kickoff right after the pilot. It got to the point where nothing was happening in each show, and so many characters were introduced that episodes started to become 5 min quick shorts trying to tie wildly different arcs (most of which boring) somewhat together. Plus it didn't help the melodrama was caked on nice and thick.

Never got into Lost when I heard about smoke monsters. Seemed to move more into harder melodrama and fantasy, and I'm more of a scifi / drama kinda guy.
post #9 of 321 Old 08-04-2012, 04:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Caprica was the same way, but they fumbled on the kickoff right after the pilot. It got to the point where nothing was happening in each show, and so many characters were introduced that episodes started to become 5 min quick shorts trying to tie wildly different arcs (most of which boring) somewhat together. Plus it didn't help the melodrama was caked on nice and thick.
I had the very same reaction to the series and dumped it quickly.

post #10 of 321 Old 08-05-2012, 07:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 48
FOX should go back to the original writer on the project, who was only removed because "he wasn't a big name." Well, he is now. His film earned hundreds of millions of dollars. Give the man a check and the gig.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...

post #11 of 321 Old 08-05-2012, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post

FOX should go back to the original writer on the project, who was only removed because "he wasn't a big name."

Really? What a stupid move! How do you become a big name if you're not given the chance?
post #12 of 321 Old 08-05-2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post

FOX should go back to the original writer on the project, who was only removed because "he wasn't a big name." Well, he is now. His film earned hundreds of millions of dollars. Give the man a check and the gig.

Heh.

He was removed because he wrote "just another ALIEN" flick. Well see the script when the BD comes around, but word is the eggs, facehuggers and aliens show in the first act and people get picked off for the following two. It's been done to death, and Scott was looking for a new direction and more of an original story.
post #13 of 321 Old 08-05-2012, 12:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Heh.
He was removed because he wrote "just another ALIEN" flick. Well see the script when the BD comes around, but word is the eggs, facehuggers and aliens show in the first act and people get picked off for the following two.
I, for one, am up for another Alien flick.
Of course, I ALWAYS am....wink.gif

Quote:
Scott was looking for a new direction and more of an original story.
And we got it.smile.gif

In spite of the loose connection and much original storyline, I still maintain Prometheus is a prequel (albeit, it isn't an obvious one).
I noticed many hints of a thread to the Alien franchise.

post #14 of 321 Old 08-05-2012, 12:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1120 Post(s)
Liked: 913
Lindelof was brought in because he convinced Scott that the sequel to 'Prometheus' shouldn't be 'Alien' (i.e., they shouldn't be making a direct prequel). His example was the 'Star Wars' prequels, which destroyed what he considered one of the greatest surprises in film history (Luke, I am your father). If you already know the outcome of the story, he argued, how can you build up any supsense or tension. This fresh approach was enough to get him a crack at doing a rewrite of Spaihts' script. Lindelof said that his draft still includes many elements from the original; indeed Spaihts still got top billing under the "screenplay by" credit.

Sanjay
post #15 of 321 Old 08-05-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

Lindelof was brought in because he convinced Scott that the sequel to 'Prometheus' shouldn't be 'Alien' (i.e., they shouldn't be making a direct prequel). His example was the 'Star Wars' prequels, which destroyed what he considered one of the greatest surprises in film history (Luke, I am your father). If you already know the outcome of the story, he argued, how can you build up any supsense or tension. This fresh approach was enough to get him a crack at doing a rewrite of Spaihts' script. Lindelof said that his draft still includes many elements from the original; indeed Spaihts still got top billing under the "screenplay by" credit.

Right, but you don't go shopping around for a new script writer if the old one was fine. Spaihts script was already dead when they brought in Lindelof.
post #16 of 321 Old 08-08-2012, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 48
i'm fine with a new scriptwriter. lindelof and scott botched the prometheus script by making it too facile in many parts, too complex to grasp the overarching themes for most of the audience, and never really focusing on the real issues being expounded.

when you have to read a 7 page article explaining the nietzsheian plot to understand a movie, it has failed in its primary purpose.

neflixis our nemesis
post #17 of 321 Old 08-18-2012, 01:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Well, here is the mystery of 10/11/12 solved:
http://www.whatis101112.com/

post #18 of 321 Old 08-18-2012, 10:18 AM

Something change over there? I'm still seeing the old page.
post #19 of 321 Old 08-22-2012, 01:35 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss View Post

Michael Fassbender and Noomi Rapace are contractually bound to the sequel.
"Ridley Scott’s “Prometheus” might not have been the biggest hit of the summer, but it certainly was one of the most intriguing ones. That’s why it shouldn’t come as much of a surprise that 20th Century Fox is putting a sequel to the sci-film high up on their priority list.
The Hollywood Reporter confirmed the news in its recap of the summer blockbusters that are getting sequels from their respective studios. Apparently Fox is planning to turn the “Alien” spin-off into its own franchise."

Where is Nancy Reagan when you need her. JUST SAY NO!!
post #20 of 321 Old 08-22-2012, 05:38 PM

More big budget science fiction?

Yes please!

Noomi and Fassbender were the best thing about Prometheus anyways, besides the visuals. It's going to be fun following Dante and Virgil deeper into the abyss.
post #21 of 321 Old 08-23-2012, 07:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post

Where is Nancy Reagan when you need her. JUST SAY NO!!

Josh put you up to that? tongue.gif
post #22 of 321 Old 08-30-2012, 01:23 PM

I will predict that it will receive a Rotten Tomato award just like Prometheus. I just don't understand it, Prometheus was a stinker so how is it that another one is getting the green light. Just have to SMH these days about what is coming out of Hollywood. Hopefully it be released as a straight to DVD so I can rent it for a $1.50 at my nearest Redbox kiosk.frown.gif
post #23 of 321 Old 08-30-2012, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:

I just don't understand it, Prometheus was a stinker so how is it that another one is getting the green light.
You mean it was a stinker to you. Or did Josh put you up to this?
post #24 of 321 Old 08-30-2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruiser View Post

Josh who? No one put me up to anything. Yes, to me and many others it was a stinker. As I alluded to before, I have yo SMH at stuff like this getting a green light.
post #25 of 321 Old 08-30-2012, 09:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:

Josh who? No one put me up to anything.
Josh thing was a joke "relay" from archiguy. biggrin.gif
Quote:
Yes, to me and many others it was a stinker. As I alluded to before, I have yo SMH at stuff like this getting a green light.
Many? But not enough to make you and those the majority. frown.gif
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/prometheus_2012/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1446714/
post #26 of 321 Old 08-31-2012, 12:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Josh who? No one put me up to anything. Yes, to me and many others it was a stinker. As I alluded to before, I have yo SMH at stuff like this getting a green light.
Promotheus wasn't an Earth-shattering Sci-fi....
Nevertherless, it WASN'T bad neither.

post #27 of 321 Old 08-31-2012, 06:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I know, right? According to some of these guys you'd think it was Ishtar or Megaforce or something equally putrid. (and yes, I saw Megaforce in the theater when I was a kid. Worst $2.50 I ever spent tongue.gif )

Granted, it didn't fulfill all my hopes and dreams of an Alien franchise followup either, but it was serviceable sci-fi. Beats Battleship.
post #28 of 321 Old 08-31-2012, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

I know, right? According to some of these guys you'd think it was Ishtar or Megaforce or something equally putrid. (and yes, I saw Megaforce in the theater when I was a kid. Worst $2.50 I ever spent tongue.gif )
Granted, it didn't fulfill all my hopes and dreams of an Alien franchise followup either, but it was serviceable sci-fi. Beats Battleship.

It was about right there with Battleship, however Battleship was less pretentious. I didn't see much difference between the Aliens(Engineers) in Prometheus and the ones in Battleship, they kind of favored each other, they might have been brothers:D
post #29 of 321 Old 08-31-2012, 09:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruiser View Post

I don't need to put anyone up to anything. It's a self-evident objective fact that the movie stinks.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (
)
Curator,

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #30 of 321 Old 08-31-2012, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

If Prometheus suggested that Jesus could have been an engineer in a slightly more apparent way, AND cleaned up a couple little things, this would have been earth shattering scifi to me.
SimpleTheater likes this.

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page