Cuba Gooding Jr. (because I'm not sure where else to post this) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 08-02-2012, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 109
It appears that the charges against Cuba Gooding Jr. have been dropped in New Orleans, I'm wondering if any of the media outlets will run any type of piece to reflect a different image from the one's they've been running this week. They basically had this guy in a Lindsay Lohan type status but a more aggressive violent version and now based on what I've been reading it's been nothing of the sort. I know the media is the media but I feel like they really took this one and got carried away with giving this guy an undeserved negative image with this situation. Regardless of the person, it just really bothers me when I see society do this to people.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-02-2012, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Even reading the news report made the charges look sketchy. He had been drinking, didn't want to be hassled, and "pushed" the bartender when confronted. That requires an arrest warrant?

Whenever I've encountered a celebrity, I've left them alone, unless it was clear they wanted fan interaction.
post #3 of 11 Old 08-02-2012, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Things like this will always be blown out of proportion because people want to hear stories that make them feel better about their own miserable lives.
post #4 of 11 Old 08-02-2012, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne View Post

Whenever I've encountered a celebrity, I've left them alone, unless it was clear they wanted fan interaction.
Same here. Any celeb I've ever run across and made eye contact with, I simply acknowledged with a "nod" and never broke stride. Some of them love the attention, but it's hard to really know how they'll react if directly approached.

"But I didn't do it...!"
"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #5 of 11 Old 08-02-2012, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 31
First I have heard about this. I will check the papers and local news and see if i can find anything out.
post #6 of 11 Old 08-03-2012, 05:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 194
The story I read was that in the wee small hours of the morning some bar patrons were pestering Gooding and he got upset - wanting to be left alone.
The barmaid decided to step in and was telling Gooding to leave, which didn't help. He simply pushed her out of his way.
post #7 of 11 Old 08-03-2012, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Best article on it I found so far.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/02/cuba-gooding-jr-bartender-not-pursuing-charges_n_1735076.html

I know the bar, fun place but lots of drunk people on absinthe at 3pm. The stories I could tell.....
post #8 of 11 Old 08-03-2012, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchone View Post

Best article on it I found so far.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/02/cuba-gooding-jr-bartender-not-pursuing-charges_n_1735076.html
I know the bar, fun place but lots of drunk people on absinthe at 3pm. The stories I could tell.....

This is at least the most detailed I've read or heard so far. But the whole thing is ridiculous. There was an altercation. He left. A warrant? He was filming a movie there! It's not like he couldn't be found. Find out the location of the filming or what hotel he's residing and ask a few questions. Or worst case, hand him a summons. But a highly publicized warrant? Ridiculous. And the media again was the worst about it. I know it's pretty much old news now but I just feel like the guy was treated unfairly all the way round on this one.
post #9 of 11 Old 08-03-2012, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

I think so also. It was like when Nic cage got arrested for being drunk. In NEW ORLEANS. Do you know how freaking hard it is for that here?
post #10 of 11 Old 08-03-2012, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 48
As an aside, I was just looking at Cuba's IMDB profile and noticed that he did a mindless action film with Dolph Lundgren. My immediate reactions were "Wow, has his career changed," and "Now that I've got to see." biggrin.gif
post #11 of 11 Old 08-03-2012, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah, he has made IMO some questionable script decisions. Right after Jerry Maguire he was in a movie that for the life of me I can't think of the name of but he was an ice cream truck driver that got caught up in the middle of some kind of terrorist mess. It really wasn't a good movie so much so that I thought that it HAD to be made before Jerry Maguire and the studio was holding on to it until they could better capitalize on it, in this case being Gooding's oscar win. I've always meant to research it to find out because I thought there was no way an "oscar winner" would go back to something like that. And there were a number after that as well that were just not good choices IMO. And the thing of it is, he's actually a very good actor way beyond the bouncing off the walls characters he seems to usually play. There was a movie, again, don't recall the name, where he played a hitman. Had he made better script choices that less identified him with that "bouncing off the walls" personality and a better script and/or perhaps director, I think he really could have made something out of that role. His tone and mannerisms I thought played well but I kept looking at him and seeing his other roles. Eventually the story kind of fizzled but was engaging at first. I sincerely hope this new project offers something positive for the guy.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page