Review: (Untitled) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-03-2012, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 102
I didn't see a thread for this one, but as with all of the movies I've reviewed lately it's one that has a title that's hard to search for, so maybe I missed it....

This a small independent film which takes a light-hearted whack at the world of modern art. I enjoyed it a lot, it's got a good mixture of silly humor and intellectual humor. Of course the modern art world is a subject that's easy to poke at, but it's not mean about it or anything and clearly the folks who wrote it know the world fairly well, because it's pretty easy to see what they are riffing on at any given point if you've looked into that world a bit.

There's not a lot of plot or character arc per se, which I don't mind. I think that these types of films are a good break from the standard three act Hollywood standardized template. It's mainly about a gallery owner (Marley Shelton) and an avant garde composer (Adam Goldberg) becoming involved, and their various triumphs and disasters (a lot more of the latter) as they try to make it in the rarified air of the bleeding edge, dealing with space cadet artists, egos, overly analytical and/or clueless audience members, the pull between artistic integrity and money, etc...

I thought it was quite funny, and stimulating, and with the occasional really well thought out point being made by this or that character that gave me a new perspective, something VERY rare in a movie, particularly these days.

The only thng I'd seen Marley Shelton in before, AFAIK, was The Last Kiss, which is a favorite of mine. She's great as the gallery owner. She walks this great line between art and greed, with a perfect rationalization for every situation, some of which are just hilariously convoluted. She loves being the beyond hip gallery owner, and manipulates everyone constantly. And she looks great in some of the artsy outfits she's always in in this movie. When they finally hit the sack, there's a great scene where he has to try to actually get her out of one of them.

* Looks like she had a small part in American Dreamz though I don't remember what it was. That's another hilarious flick as well if you haven't seen it. And she was in Pleasantville but it's been so long since I saw that that I didn't remember her from that either. And apparently a small part in Grand Canyon, which is another favorite of mine.

Anyhoo, if you are into such things, you will probably enjoy it. I got quite a lot of laughs out of it myself. BTW, if you want to watch an interesting documentary on this world, check out "Herb and Dorothy". A number of pieces in this film I think are pretty much supposed to be referring to pieces in Herb and Dorothy's collection, certainly by the same artists they collected.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1227929/

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com