'The Hobbit' will not be widely released in 48 FPS - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #181 of 266 Old 11-12-2012, 09:45 AM
Member
 
NeilPeart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 142
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Folks in the Bay Area - the CineMark NextGen in Fremont will be showing The Hobbit in 3D HFR (48fps) with Dolby Atmos sound. I will be there Friday morning (skipping the opening night shenanigans). smile.gif There is at least 1 theater in SF that will also feature the same quality, as well as some theaters in LA. This is a good site for more info on what theaters have what capabilities for the Hobbit:

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2012/11/07/64780-complete-listing-of-theaters-showing-hobbit-hfr-3d-imax-3d-imax-dolby-atmos/

"glittering prizes and endless compromises..."

 

Sony Super Fine Pitch CRT for Sale

NeilPeart is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #182 of 266 Old 11-19-2012, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mr. wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: land of the pumas
Posts: 3,805
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 47
warning, numerous animals killed during production of this flick.

wonder how many peta types will protest.

neflixis our nemesis
mr. wally is offline  
post #183 of 266 Old 11-19-2012, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
TitusTroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 2,636
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

warning, numerous animals killed during production of this flick.
wonder how many peta types will protest.

Peter Jackson denies allegations of animal mistreatment on 'The Hobbit'...

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/11/19/peter-jackson-denies-allegations-of-animal-mistreatment-on-the-hobbit/
TitusTroy is offline  
post #184 of 266 Old 11-19-2012, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mr. wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: land of the pumas
Posts: 3,805
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 47
"death of two horses was avoidable..."



http://www.mercurynews.com/news/ci_22025332?source=inthenews


peta's gonna have a field day

neflixis our nemesis
mr. wally is offline  
post #185 of 266 Old 11-28-2012, 01:20 PM
Newbie
 
bruno03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a 2 questions.
Peter Jackson recommends watching Hobbit in HFR 3D cinemas. Now what does it actualy mean? Does it mean both 48fps 3D and IMAX 48fps 3D cinemas or only 48fps 3D cinemas?
Do nowadays all digital cinemas have 4k support? Otherwise in which resolution movie wil be shown?
bruno03 is offline  
post #186 of 266 Old 11-28-2012, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Morpheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Montreal by day, Paris by night...
Posts: 6,472
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruno03 View Post

I have a 2 questions.
Peter Jackson recommends watching Hobbit in HFR 3D cinemas. Now what does it actualy mean? Does it mean both 48fps 3D and IMAX 48fps 3D cinemas or only 48fps 3D cinemas?
Do nowadays all digital cinemas have 4k support? Otherwise in which resolution movie wil be shown?

He probably means IMAX HFR 3D... But since only a handful of theaters will have such presentations, I'll settle for 'regular' HFR 3D downtown Montreal... The irony is that this theater will feature both the HFR and the IMAX version of the film, but apparently not the "HFR IMAX" flavor... oh well... At the end of the day, I guess my biggest satisfaction will be to watch an actual *good* film, that's what I'm looking forward to the most, technicalities come second. By the way, I'm curious about the ticket price for the all-dressed version, $29.99 or something? wink.gif
Morpheo is offline  
post #187 of 266 Old 11-28-2012, 01:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Planet Boston, source of the spice, Melange.
Posts: 19,923
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruno03 View Post

Peter Jackson recommends watching Hobbit in HFR 3D cinemas. Now what does it actualy mean? Does it mean both 48fps 3D and IMAX 48fps 3D cinemas or only 48fps 3D cinemas?

Both.
Quote:
Do nowadays all digital cinemas have 4k support?

No, most digital cinemas are still 2k. You'll need to check with the individual theater to find out what their equipment is (and good luck finding someone who knows what you're talking about).

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Josh Z is offline  
post #188 of 266 Old 11-28-2012, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
coolscan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,791
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Another director weighting in on The Hobbit HFR (from the world premier screening in New Zealand today).



Next, "X-Men: Days of Future Past" in HFR 3D?
coolscan is offline  
post #189 of 266 Old 11-28-2012, 03:52 PM
 
Auditor55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Silicon Valley, CA.
Posts: 8,795
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilPeart View Post

Folks in the Bay Area - the CineMark NextGen in Fremont will be showing The Hobbit in 3D HFR (48fps) with Dolby Atmos sound. I will be there Friday morning (skipping the opening night shenanigans). smile.gif There is at least 1 theater in SF that will also feature the same quality, as well as some theaters in LA. This is a good site for more info on what theaters have what capabilities for the Hobbit:
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2012/11/07/64780-complete-listing-of-theaters-showing-hobbit-hfr-3d-imax-3d-imax-dolby-atmos/

Thanks for the info. I might ride out to Fremont and check it out, even though this movie is going bomb, I want to check out this new technology.
Auditor55 is offline  
post #190 of 266 Old 11-29-2012, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Selden Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 6,459
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 326
A list of Regal Cinemas with Sony 4K projectors is available at http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/mkt-digitalcinema/resource.solutions.bbsccms-assets-mkt-digicinema-solutions-regalcinemas.shtml

(A logo for Sony 4K was visible on two movies I saw recently. Unfortunately our local cineplex isn't listed.)

Selden
Selden Ball is offline  
post #191 of 266 Old 11-29-2012, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
coolscan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,791
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
AFAIK, Sony 4K projectors are not able to do 3D in 4K for each eye, so a Sony equipped cinema is not an advantage over a DLP equipped cinema.

IMAX announces list of HFR 3D locations for The Hobbit!
Some of these might be 4K DLP double stacks, but there are no info that The Hobbit will have a 4K DCP yet. And because no cinema actually announce... "brags".... that they will show the movie in 4K 3D, I assume that it might be only up-converted 2K even in 4K equipped IMAX theatres.
I hope someone know something more about this. The movie is shot in 2x5K so it is strange if they don't utilise the option in selected theatres, but they might be pressed for time to be able to render out 2x4K for now, and that will be saved for next year.
coolscan is offline  
post #192 of 266 Old 11-29-2012, 02:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Matt_Stevens's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 13,818
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Looking forward to seeing this in 2D.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
Matt_Stevens is offline  
post #193 of 266 Old 11-29-2012, 05:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Planet Boston, source of the spice, Melange.
Posts: 19,923
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolscan View Post

Some of these might be 4K DLP double stacks, but there are no info that The Hobbit will have a 4K DCP yet. And because no cinema actually announce... "brags".... that they will show the movie in 4K 3D, I assume that it might be only up-converted 2K even in 4K equipped IMAX theatres.

Are there any 4k IMAX theaters? As far as I was aware, digital IMAX uses two 2k projectors.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Josh Z is offline  
post #194 of 266 Old 11-29-2012, 07:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Matt_Stevens's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 13,818
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 48
So what will the IMAX 15/70 prints be? 24fps and 3D? Or 2D? God, I would hope 2D but am betting not.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
Matt_Stevens is offline  
post #195 of 266 Old 11-30-2012, 03:13 AM
Newbie
 
bruno03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have just contacted my local IMAX cinema and they sad that They wont show 48fps in IMAX because of different technology and that it isnt possible
bruno03 is offline  
post #196 of 266 Old 11-30-2012, 07:14 AM
Newbie
 
alden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The film wasn't shot in IMAX's aspect ratio so there's no great reason to see it in IMAX. It will be letterboxed on an IMAX screen.
alden is offline  
post #197 of 266 Old 11-30-2012, 08:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Matt_Stevens's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 13,818
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by alden View Post

The film wasn't shot in IMAX's aspect ratio so there's no great reason to see it in IMAX. It will be letterboxed on an IMAX screen.
Unfortunately, you are wrong about that (the part about no need to see it in IMAX). if I am going to see it in 3D and it is playing in IMAX, I go to see it in IMAX because every single time I try 3D in a non-IMAX theater the image on screen is incredibly dim and I have a miserable experience and ever suffer a headache.

If it's a 2D film and only 2D but playing via IMAX I see it in IMAX because over 50% of the time all local theaters keep the stupid 3D setup on the projector, lowering the screen brightness by half or more, which means I have a miserable viewing experience.

Seeing a movie is now a major chore for me. i have to call the theater, speak to manager and hope he knows what the hell he is talking about so i can find out if they are projecting the film properly. It's a nightmare because even then they get it wrong.

The last two years I have gone to the movies less than in any prior year. Not for lack of films to see. It's because I hate spending money for something that just makes me miserable.

Thank God SKYFALL was terrific at the local theater. It's been 50/50 with them and I think I'll see LINCOLN there and hope to increase that success ratio.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
Matt_Stevens is offline  
post #198 of 266 Old 11-30-2012, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
coolscan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,791
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruno03 View Post

I have just contacted my local IMAX cinema and they sad that They wont show 48fps in IMAX because of different technology and that it isnt possible
That might of course be true for your local IMAX. But that it isn't possible because it is a different technology might be if your local IMAX is a Film IMAX. But when IMAX release a list of IMAX theatres that will show The Hobbit in 48fps HFR, then you need to educate your local IMAX that it is possible for some IMAX cinemas and ask why they can't do it;
http://www.48fpsmovies.com/2012/11/08/imax-announces-list-of-hfr-3d-locations-for-the-hobbit/
http://www.imax.com/community/blog/peter-jacksons-the-hobbit-an-unexpected-journey-will-be-shown-in-high-frame-rate-3d-in-select-imax-theatres/

Quote:
Originally Posted by alden View Post

The film wasn't shot in IMAX's aspect ratio so there's no great reason to see it in IMAX. It will be letterboxed on an IMAX screen.
The Hobbit was shot on dual Red Epic-x 3D rigs at 2x 5K resolution (2x-5120 x 2700) which gives a aspect ratio of approximately 2:1. True IMAX use an aspect ratio of 1.43:1.
They knew they where going to release in IMAX, so during filming they protected the frame so no crucial actions fell outside the 1.43:1 Frameguards.
They can also move the frame around in post in case something happens to be outside the frame for IMAX.
In that way they can use the whole height of the image for IMAX (open matte) and crop for the general cinema release of the 2.40:1 version.
It is possible they followed James Cameron's Avatar by releasing a tall 1.78:1 version for cinemas that can accommodate taller screens than wider screen.
coolscan is offline  
post #199 of 266 Old 11-30-2012, 11:36 AM
Newbie
 
alden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Well yes, if the IMAX theater has a better projector than other theaters in the area, then that's a good reason to see it there. But that's anecdotal, not an issue of IMAX vs. regular theaters. The IMAX in my area was terrible until about a year ago when they upgraded their projector, at which point it was finally worth watching movies there. Until then it was too dim and flickery.

Assuming you have access to good theaters in both formats, though, there's no reason to see it in IMAX because the aspect ratio will be the same in both theaters.
alden is offline  
post #200 of 266 Old 11-30-2012, 11:43 AM
Newbie
 
alden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolscan View Post

The Hobbit was shot on dual Red Epic-x 3D rigs at 2x 5K resolution (2x-5120 x 2700) which gives a aspect ratio of approximately 2:1. True IMAX use an aspect ratio of 1.43:1.
They knew they where going to release in IMAX, so during filming they protected the frame so no crucial actions fell outside the 1.43:1 Frameguards.
They can also move the frame around in post in case something happens to be outside the frame for IMAX.
In that way they can use the whole height of the image for IMAX (open matte) and crop for the general cinema release of the 2.40:1 version.
It is possible they followed James Cameron's Avatar by releasing a tall 1.78:1 version for cinemas that can accommodate taller screens than wider screen.

Shooting for IMAX and shooting to accomodate IMAX are two different things. Even if no crucial action is outside of IMAX frame lines, I assume the film was intended to be shown in its native aspect ratio. I'd rather see the whole frame on a smaller screen than a pan-and-scan cut in IMAX. (Or, for that matter, a heavily-letterboxed full-frame cut in an IMAX theater.)
alden is offline  
post #201 of 266 Old 11-30-2012, 01:09 PM
 
Auditor55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Silicon Valley, CA.
Posts: 8,795
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolscan View Post

AFAIK, Sony 4K projectors are not able to do 3D in 4K for each eye, so a Sony equipped cinema is not an advantage over a DLP equipped cinema.
IMAX announces list of HFR 3D locations for The Hobbit!
Some of these might be 4K DLP double stacks, but there are no info that The Hobbit will have a 4K DCP yet. And because no cinema actually announce... "brags".... that they will show the movie in 4K 3D, I assume that it might be only up-converted 2K even in 4K equipped IMAX theatres.
I hope someone know something more about this. The movie is shot in 2x5K so it is strange if they don't utilise the option in selected theatres, but they might be pressed for time to be able to render out 2x4K for now, and that will be saved for next year.

I happy to know that one the Cinema's where I live with showing in it HFR 3D. I really can do without the 3-D, its a distraction, however I really want to see how 48FS looks.
Auditor55 is offline  
post #202 of 266 Old 11-30-2012, 03:45 PM
Member
 
JamesAtLegacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can't wait to hear this with Dolby Atmos!
JamesAtLegacy is offline  
post #203 of 266 Old 11-30-2012, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mr. wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: land of the pumas
Posts: 3,805
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post

I happy to know that one the Cinema's where I live with showing in it HFR 3D. I really can do without the 3-D, its a distraction, however I really want to see how 48FS looks.

I'm with you Audi. First time has to be hfr 3d.


Is that theater in Fremont the closest one to San Jose showing it in that format?

neflixis our nemesis
mr. wally is offline  
post #204 of 266 Old 12-05-2012, 10:27 AM
Senior Member
 
[KYA]Mega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Antonio, TX, USA
Posts: 434
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolscan View Post

The Hobbit was shot on dual Red Epic-x 3D rigs at 2x 5K resolution (2x-5120 x 2700) which gives a aspect ratio of approximately 2:1. True IMAX use an aspect ratio of 1.43:1.
They knew they where going to release in IMAX, so during filming they protected the frame so no crucial actions fell outside the 1.43:1 Frameguards.
They can also move the frame around in post in case something happens to be outside the frame for IMAX.
In that way they can use the whole height of the image for IMAX (open matte) and crop for the general cinema release of the 2.40:1 version.
It is possible they followed James Cameron's Avatar by releasing a tall 1.78:1 version for cinemas that can accommodate taller screens than wider screen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alden View Post

Shooting for IMAX and shooting to accomodate IMAX are two different things. Even if no crucial action is outside of IMAX frame lines, I assume the film was intended to be shown in its native aspect ratio. I'd rather see the whole frame on a smaller screen than a pan-and-scan cut in IMAX. (Or, for that matter, a heavily-letterboxed full-frame cut in an IMAX theater.)
Actually 2:1 is in-between 1.43:1 and 2.40:1 so both version will be cropped. One will have the sides cropped and the other will have the top and bottom cropped. So I don’t see any advantage to either screen shape, but there is certainly an advantage to the IMAX theatre in most cases. Also, my local IMAX uses passive 3D glasses, and the non-IMAX screens use active glasses. I hate the active glasses, so I’d see it in IMAX for that reason alone if all else was equal.

[KYA]Mega is offline  
post #205 of 266 Old 12-06-2012, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
joeydrunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: WA state
Posts: 1,752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Not sure if this has been discussed but Im wondering if anyone knows what resolution the hobbit master will be released to the theaters in-2k or 4k. I know it was filmed in 5k but I dont believe its possible to release a 4k master of the hfr 3d version. Been looking everywhere for an answer to this,I saw this post from another thread-dont know if its true or not, if it is its a real bummer, still doesnt answer if it can or will be released in 2d 4k master: "An IMB (integrated media block) is also required for 4K 3D or HFR 2D (the hobbit is not being released in HFR 2D), a projector without an IMB can play 4k or 2K 3D but for presentations beyond that will need an IMB. Right now 4K HFR 3D is beyond the capacity of an IMB and the file size of a 3 hr feature in 4K HFR 3D would exceed the capacity of harddrives certified with the IMB system, so a solution is not in the immediate offing."

Pioneer Kuro...your time is up...mwahahhahhha
joeydrunk is offline  
post #206 of 266 Old 12-07-2012, 12:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
joeydrunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: WA state
Posts: 1,752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by [KYA]Mega View Post

Actually 2:1 is in-between 1.43:1 and 2.40:1 so both version will be cropped. One will have the sides cropped and the other will have the top and bottom cropped. So I don’t see any advantage to either screen shape, but there is certainly an advantage to the IMAX theatre in most cases. Also, my local IMAX uses passive 3D glasses, and the non-IMAX screens use active glasses. I hate the active glasses, so I’d see it in IMAX for that reason alone if all else was equal.
imax 3d, uses linear polarized glass so you cant move your head like with reald or dolby 3d and imax doesnt have atmos either. I am first seing it at midnight on opening night in regals rpx reald 3d, then the following week traveling 4 hours to see it on an 80 ft screen with hfr, 64.2 atmos and dolby 3d on 4k christie projectors.

Pioneer Kuro...your time is up...mwahahhahhha
joeydrunk is offline  
post #207 of 266 Old 12-07-2012, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member
 
DavidML3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 966
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAtLegacy View Post

Can't wait to hear this with Dolby Atmos!

I agree. I'm flying all the way to Orlando Florida just to check it out in HFR Atmos.
DavidML3 is offline  
post #208 of 266 Old 12-08-2012, 06:12 PM
Newbie
 
alden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by [KYA]Mega View Post

Actually 2:1 is in-between 1.43:1 and 2.40:1 so both version will be cropped. One will have the sides cropped and the other will have the top and bottom cropped. So I don’t see any advantage to either screen shape, but there is certainly an advantage to the IMAX theatre in most cases. Also, my local IMAX uses passive 3D glasses, and the non-IMAX screens use active glasses. I hate the active glasses, so I’d see it in IMAX for that reason alone if all else was equal.

No.

1.43:1 will be cropped. 2.4:1, if there is bordering on the sides, will still show the full frame, as it was meant to be shown. There will just be be portions of the extra wide screen that are not used.

When a DP shoots something, s/he builds a shot with the full frame in mind. When you are cutting out part of that frame to fit it onto a square-er screen, you're removing information, aesthetics and weight from the shot. Anyone who would rather see a cropped film just to see it on a larger screen is missing part of the film.
alden is offline  
post #209 of 266 Old 12-08-2012, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
joeydrunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: WA state
Posts: 1,752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by [KYA]Mega View Post

Actually 2:1 is in-between 1.43:1 and 2.40:1 so both version will be cropped. One will have the sides cropped and the other will have the top and bottom cropped. So I don’t see any advantage to either screen shape, but there is certainly an advantage to the IMAX theatre in most cases. Also, my local IMAX uses passive 3D glasses, and the non-IMAX screens use active glasses. I hate the active glasses, so I’d see it in IMAX for that reason alone if all else was equal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydrunk View Post

imax 3d, uses linear polarized glass so you cant move your head like with reald or dolby 3d and imax doesnt have atmos either. I am first seing it at midnight on opening night in regals rpx reald 3d, then the following week traveling 4 hours to see it on an 80 ft screen with hfr, 64.2 atmos and dolby 3d on 4k christie projectors.

Only expand 3d uses active -imax, dolby and reald all use passive

Pioneer Kuro...your time is up...mwahahhahhha
joeydrunk is offline  
post #210 of 266 Old 12-11-2012, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Jim S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Auburn WA
Posts: 1,124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I was curious why IMAX 3D HFR format was being limited to only a few theaters (only one in WA state) since we have a number of digital IMAX theaters in the area. Based on the response I received from an email to IMAX this appears to be a commercial decision by the studio:

Thank you for contacting IMAX Corporation. The select IMAX theatres playing The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey installed the technology necessary to play the film in HFR format. Ultimately the studio that produced the film, Warner Bros., decides on which theatres will have the option to play the film in the HFR format.

Best regards,
IMAX Corporation

Jim
Jim S is online now  
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off