Monsters INC - Monsters University - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 Old 08-11-2012, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 17,013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 169
This is the trailer for the upcoming prequel to Monsters INC called Monsters University.

_________________________

Frank

Franin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 47 Old 08-11-2012, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 17,013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Will be definitley going to watch this. smile.gif

_________________________

Frank

Franin is offline  
post #3 of 47 Old 08-13-2012, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
GoCaboNow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,871
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Will be definitley going to watch this. smile.gif

Same here. My six year old loves the Pixars. Well she loves everything, but especially Pixar. She even liked Cars 2.

Location: Beaverton, Oregon
My Dedicated Home Theater Room
GoCaboNow is offline  
post #4 of 47 Old 08-13-2012, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 17,013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

Same here. My six year old loves the Pixars. Well she loves everything, but especially Pixar. She even liked Cars 2.

Same!! My daughter wants Brave which I didn't mind.
rezzy likes this.

_________________________

Frank

Franin is offline  
post #5 of 47 Old 08-13-2012, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Morpheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Montreal by day, Paris by night...
Posts: 6,443
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 276
must-see here as well. Not only my daughter loves Monsters Inc but I loved the first film as well, a favorite of mine. I'll see it in theaters and a day 1 purchase for the Blu-ray for sure! cool.gifsmile.gif
Morpheo is offline  
post #6 of 47 Old 08-14-2012, 02:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 17,013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

must-see here as well. Not only my daughter loves Monsters Inc but I loved the first film as well, a favorite of mine. I'll see it in theaters and a day 1 purchase for the Blu-ray for sure! cool.gifsmile.gif

I love all Pixar films. Actually how many of you are going to see Finding Nemo in theatres on the big screen in 3D? I have to admit seeing the trailer for it when I saw Brave Im very tempted.

_________________________

Frank

Franin is offline  
post #7 of 47 Old 08-14-2012, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Rach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,688
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I tend to love Pixar and will probably see this but the trailer is below average!
Rach is offline  
post #8 of 47 Old 08-14-2012, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Sean Nelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Vancouver BC, Canada
Posts: 3,304
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rach View Post

I tend to love Pixar and will probably see this but the trailer is below average!
I think it's a hoot! Looking forward to seeing this...
Sean Nelson is offline  
post #9 of 47 Old 10-30-2013, 10:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 26,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
I never thought I would live to see the day when Pixar puts out a bad movie.....

I watched the first 45 minutes and laughed twice.
In the first movie, I had laughed at least a couple of dozen times during the same amount of time.

And then it occurred to me: is this movie for kids?confused.gif
WTF Pixar????

In disgust, I left it to the wife to enjoy (and she did).

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
oink is offline  
post #10 of 47 Old 10-31-2013, 08:45 AM
Member
 
RedLefty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Olathe, KS
Posts: 170
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Yep, my kids liked it fine but it never grabbed me.

Part of the problem is the same thing that plagued Star Wars and other franchises that put out prequels instead of sequels. There's no true tension or mystery because you walk into the theater already knowing the ending.

I would've loved a sequel instead, getting us inside the monster world where energy comes from laughter rather than terror.

RedLefty is offline  
post #11 of 47 Old 10-31-2013, 09:26 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member
 
Toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 12,947
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I never thought I would live to see the day when Pixar puts out a bad movie.....

I watched the first 45 minutes and laughed twice.
In the first movie, I had laughed at least a couple of dozen times during the same amount of time.

And then it occurred to me: is this movie for kids?confused.gif
WTF Pixar????

In disgust, I left it to the wife to enjoy (and she did).

Bummer! I figured since this was about them going to college that we would see them doing some serious partying. Orgies, doing mass amounts of drugs and maybe a few puke scenes with Sully drinking WAY too much gin................are you saying my expectations are not going to be met Oink?

tongue.gif



Seriously though, thanks for the report and keeping my expectations in check. I have this coming today from Netflix and was hoping the film would be as good as the first which it sounds like it is below par to some degree. I should still enjoy it I hope, but good to have my expectations in check.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Toe is online now  
post #12 of 47 Old 10-31-2013, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Morpheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Montreal by day, Paris by night...
Posts: 6,443
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I never thought I would live to see the day when Pixar puts out a bad movie.....

What about Cars 2?
Quote:
I watched the first 45 minutes and laughed twice.
In the first movie, I had laughed at least a couple of dozen times during the same amount of time.

And then it occurred to me: is this movie for kids?confused.gif
WTF Pixar????

In disgust, I left it to the wife to enjoy (and she did).

I love the first one so much I'm going to buy it nonetheless...
Morpheo is offline  
post #13 of 47 Old 10-31-2013, 11:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 26,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLefty View Post


I would've loved a sequel instead, getting us inside the monster world where energy comes from laughter rather than terror.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Bummer! I figured since this was about them going to college that we would see them doing some serious partying. Orgies, doing mass amounts of drugs and maybe a few puke scenes with Sully drinking WAY too much gin................are you saying my expectations are not going to be met Oink?

tongue.gif
Sorry, your expections will be dashed, I'm afraid....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

What about Cars 2?
Cars 2 is a classic by comparison.

Quote:
I love the first one so much I'm going to buy it nonetheless...
Those were my thoughts too.
I loved the original....may be my favorite Pixar movie.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
oink is offline  
post #14 of 47 Old 10-31-2013, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Morpheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Montreal by day, Paris by night...
Posts: 6,443
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Cars 2 is a classic by comparison.

Ouch! wink.gif
Morpheo is offline  
post #15 of 47 Old 10-31-2013, 01:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 26,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Sully says all you need to know about this movie....


A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
oink is offline  
post #16 of 47 Old 11-02-2013, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
sound dropouts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 1,401
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This isn't a bad movie...not as good as the first but no where near as bad as Cars 2. I liked that the cliche ending I was expected did not actually materialize and like many classic Pixar movies (Incredibles, Finding Nemo, UP, Wall-E) actually had a deeper message than most movies marketed to kids. SPOILER: In this case, the superficial message looked like it was going to be "try hard, believe in yourself and you will succeed", but the script flipped this message on its head in the middle of the third act.
sound dropouts is offline  
post #17 of 47 Old 11-02-2013, 10:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 26,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by sound dropouts View Post

a deeper message than most movies marketed to kids.
That is my point exactly: a Pixar movie for kids, NOT adults.
The success of Pixar involves their ability to engage children AND adults with their movies.

In fact, I would state their movies have been aimed DIRECTLY at adults.
Most of the humor in their classics is over the heads of kids.
This is why so many of us on this forum love Pixar's releases.

This movie is my biggest release disappointment of the year.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
oink is offline  
post #18 of 47 Old 11-02-2013, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rezzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: The Matrix
Posts: 7,638
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Oinkster, you've never seen a bad Pixar film til now? You must've slept through Brave and Wall•E; they certainly put me to sleep..

"But I didn't do it...!"
"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
rezzy is offline  
post #19 of 47 Old 11-02-2013, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rezzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: The Matrix
Posts: 7,638
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 30
..in fact, their dominance seems to be slippin' away to Dreamworks.

"But I didn't do it...!"
"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
rezzy is offline  
post #20 of 47 Old 11-02-2013, 07:06 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member
 
Toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 12,947
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post

Oinkster, you've never seen a bad Pixar film til now? You must've slept through Brave and Wall•E; they certainly put me to sleep..

I loved both of those. While some have been better vs others, I still have not seen a bad Pixar film and after watching MU last night, that has not changed. I actually thought it was close to on par with the first and I did not feel this was a straight kids film like I have with some animated movies I have watched.

Audio was a lot of fun with excellent movement around the room and a supportive low end. PQ was incredible!

Worked for me.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Toe is online now  
post #21 of 47 Old 11-02-2013, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Post America America
Posts: 8,427
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I never thought I would live to see the day when Pixar puts out a bad movie.....

Brave. Cars. Cars 2.

MU is very close to those stinkers. It had some interesting ideas but I felt it wasn't very funny. MI isn't all that funny but there's a great story there. I almost would have rather MU been more like Revenge of the Nerds. At least then you could have gotten some lift from bullying and acceptance themes. I wished it were a sequel but alas it seems like a money grab and product placement that fits in with that Disney Skylander stuff.

I just recently showed the original Monsters Inc to my 2 year old about 2 months ago and we've damn near watched it everyday since. MU comes along and she walks away 30 minutes in. MI she will sit through all the way. It's the only Pixar movie she will watch. We've tried them all.

My favorites are the Toy Story series, Monsters Inc, Wall-E, and Up.
darthrsg is offline  
post #22 of 47 Old 11-02-2013, 11:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 26,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post

Oinkster, you've never seen a bad Pixar film til now? You must've slept through Brave and Wall•E; they certainly put me to sleep..
Not me.
My in-laws are nuts about their alleged Scottish heritage.
Therefore, I wasn't allowed to snooze....wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post

..in fact, their dominance seems to be slippin' away to Dreamworks.
DreamWorks always seemed to play 2nd fiddle to Pixar....
What releases has DW done recently you would recommend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

I loved both of those. While some have been better vs others, I still have not seen a bad Pixar film and after watching MU last night, that has not changed. I actually thought it was close to on par with the first and I did not feel this was a straight kids film like I have with some animated movies I have watched.
I left after 45 minutes; I can't really testify to what happened after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Brave. Cars. Cars 2.
1) Much of the jokes in Brave has to do with having more than a little knowledge of Scotland and its people.
2) Again....much of the jokes in the Cars movies has to do with having more than a little knowledge of auto racing.

That SHOULDN'T have been the case, but it is what Pixar did.

FWIW, I do know more than a little Scotland and auto racing.
Therefore, I enjoyed these movies very much....
However....if I wasn't knowledgeable on these subjects, I can see how these films would bomb.wink.gif

Quote:
MU is very close to those stinkers. It had some interesting ideas but I felt it wasn't very funny. MI isn't all that funny but there's a great story there. I almost would have rather MU been more like Revenge of the Nerds. At least then you could have gotten some lift from bullying and acceptance themes. I wished it were a sequel but alas it seems like a money grab and product placement that fits in with that Disney Skylander stuff.
At whom do you think Disney was aiming MU?

Quote:
I just recently showed the original Monsters Inc to my 2 year old about 2 months ago and we've damn near watched it everyday since. MU comes along and she walks away 30 minutes in. MI she will sit through all the way. It's the only Pixar movie she will watch.
Your Little One has great taste.wink.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
oink is offline  
post #23 of 47 Old 11-03-2013, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rezzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: The Matrix
Posts: 7,638
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I didn't see the first installment, but Despicable Me 2 was very cute; on par with anything Pixar's done to date, IMO.

Also, The Croods is very decent, but I don't think Pixar lost any sleep over this one. BTW, Toy Story will be their first holiday TV special; they're trailing Dreamworks in that dept.

"But I didn't do it...!"
"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
rezzy is offline  
post #24 of 47 Old 11-03-2013, 05:36 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member
 
Toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 12,947
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Oink, I don't know $hit about Scotland or auto racing and I thought Brave was a great film still and Cars was good in my book. There is much more to both films than the Scotland and auto racing themed jokes.

As far as DW vs Pixar, Pixar overall still is on a different level vs DW. There are a few exceptions like HTTYD, but in general Pixar movies just have more depth to their stories.

Now from a technical perspective I think DW has definitely caught up to Pixar and in the case of 3D, DW is clearly in a higher league vs Pixar.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Toe is online now  
post #25 of 47 Old 11-03-2013, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Post America America
Posts: 8,427
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post

I didn't see the first installment, but Despicable Me 2 was very cute; on par with anything Pixar's done to date, IMO.

Also, The Croods is very decent, but I don't think Pixar lost any sleep over this one. BTW, Toy Story will be their first holiday TV special; they're trailing Dreamworks in that dept.

I could suggest Despicable Me as really good. I haven't seen part 2.

We watched The Croods last week and it's a looker for sure. I also love the first Ice Age movie.
darthrsg is offline  
post #26 of 47 Old 11-03-2013, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Post America America
Posts: 8,427
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

At whom do you think Disney was aiming MU?
Your Little One has great taste.wink.gif

It felt like they aimed it at everyone.
darthrsg is offline  
post #27 of 47 Old 11-03-2013, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Morpheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Montreal by day, Paris by night...
Posts: 6,443
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post

..in fact, their dominance seems to be slippin' away to Dreamworks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post

I didn't see the first installment, but Despicable Me 2 was very cute; on par with anything Pixar's done to date, IMO.

The Despicable Me franchise is from Universal, not DW.

The key is to "move" the audience imo, both adults and children, with a captivating story and lovable characters. Pixar has always managed to do it up until recently, I think they're still a notch above the other studios but they're catching up. Which is a good thing because each one of them will have to be more creative, or at least try to be.

There are more than a few jokes in the Despicable Me films that are aimed at adults only. But there are so many other scenes that kids find hilarious that everyone is pleased. These are really funny movies and the minions are one-of-a-kind and a genius move from the filmmakers. But there's more than that too because the characters have depth and are lovable, even Gru of course, and even the darn minions. smile.gif

Fox's Ice Age is also very good.


I'd say that, to me, DW has always been behind everyone else actually (and Shrek has always left me kinda cold, except for Eddie Murphy)


...But I certainly want to see another Pixar film like the first Monsters' Inc. or Up.
As for MU, I'm still buying it next week, and if anything, there's still Goodman and Crystal...
Morpheo is offline  
post #28 of 47 Old 11-03-2013, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rezzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: The Matrix
Posts: 7,638
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 30
My mistake. I tend to get the Uni and SKG films mixed up. But I feel Pixar's been hit and miss over the last 4 or 5 films. They're gonna be unseated as champion if not careful.

"But I didn't do it...!"
"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
rezzy is offline  
post #29 of 47 Old 11-03-2013, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
srw1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,552
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Add me to the list of disappointed viewers. I liked the original, but this really came up short in the story department. While Darthrsg thought it should have been closer to Revenge of the Nerds, I thought it already felt too much like that movie.

One thing that was missing compared to the first, was any connection with humans, especially human children. While we see them, they don't really factor into the movie. Kids aren't really going to get the college humor or references, and the college parts of the movie that adults could relate too wouldn't really fit in with a kids movie. That kind of left it on an island that couldn't be appreciated by either group, as opposed to most of their movies that can be loved by both. The movie felt like it could have used a villain, rather than just the circumstances that propelled the plot from scene to scene.

I did like the character of Dean Hardscrabble. Impressive design, and good characterization by Helen Mirren, even if she was underused in the movie.

Scott

P. S. The sound and visuals are both top-rate, with some fantastic use of surround panning. It does lose a few points for the audio drop out problems experienced by some of us.

srw1000 is offline  
post #30 of 47 Old 11-03-2013, 03:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 26,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

There is much more to both films than the Scotland and auto racing themed jokes.
As far as DW vs Pixar, Pixar overall still is on a different level vs DW. There are a few exceptions like HTTYD, but in general Pixar movies just have more depth to their stories.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srw1000 View Post


One thing that was missing compared to the first, was any connection with humans, especially human children. While we see them, they don't really factor into the movie. Kids aren't really going to get the college humor or references, and the college parts of the movie that adults could relate too wouldn't really fit in with a kids movie. That kind of left it on an island that couldn't be appreciated by either group, as opposed to most of their movies that can be loved by both. The movie felt like it could have used a villain, rather than just the circumstances that propelled the plot from scene to scene.
Nice analysis.wink.gif

Quote:
It does lose a few points for the audio drop out problems experienced by some of us.
I forgot to mention my Oppo 83 ran in to that problem.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
oink is offline  
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
Monsters University Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off