post #31 of 46 Old 08-22-2012, 01:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob305 View Post

the amc theatres will be doing a indy marathon on september 15th. you might be interested in that.
Jacob
Don't have any AMC theatres in my area.frown.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 46 Old 08-27-2012, 09:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Frankly, I'd rather see a movie that originated on 35mm film in a digital IMAX theater than DMR'ed for 15/70.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #33 of 46 Old 08-27-2012, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 109
I just enjoy the movie going experience, cost aside. Seeing films of this caliber on the big screen perhaps with a few friends and among presumably like-minded movie goers is part of the fun. I do expect a clean theater, clear picture, full sound and courteous patrons. But Raiders is that classic type of movie that brings the best of the movie going experiences back and I'm really looking forward to that.
post #34 of 46 Old 08-28-2012, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post

I just enjoy the movie going experience, cost aside. Seeing films of this caliber on the big screen perhaps with a few friends and among presumably like-minded movie goers is part of the fun. I do expect a clean theater, clear picture, full sound and courteous patrons. But Raiders is that classic type of movie that brings the best of the movie going experiences back and I'm really looking forward to that.

This! Not to mention i was 6 years old when it played originally. My family and I went, but the attention span of a 6 year old isn't much. I'm looking forward to it and so is my hot date.
post #35 of 46 Old 08-28-2012, 08:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 48
Josh, it's not playing 15/70 from what I can see. Just LIEmax, which should be ok.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
post #36 of 46 Old 08-29-2012, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 105
It's getting harder to find an IMAX theater projecting film anymore as all theaters are rushing to convert to digital projection. I'm heading down to the Regal Lincolnshire IMAX (Chicago area) on September 8th to see Raiders, it's a smaller IMAX with 275 seats. Although it opened in 1998 the film projector was recently replaced with a digital projector in November 2011 - so no 15/70 goodness here either.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #37 of 46 Old 09-08-2012, 07:39 PM

Liked: 12
boy i wish i saw this thread before I went to a showing. I also went to one at these mini "LieMAX" theatres (this one was the village Crown at Skokie) - what a let down (and overcharge in price as far as im concerned)

the picture quality in the south amercia plot did not seem as good - apparently other fans have also noticed this.

my showing was not even half full : \ and pretty quiet (except for the swordman shootout scene)

still, the flick is great fun after all these years and still the best adventure movie made IMO. story is a lot leaner than I remember, but it moves at a great pace and love the locations and just the idea of a treasure hunt movie.

too bad the sequels couldnt be half as good as this.

31 years ago....wow.

TV: LG 47LH90
PLAYER: Panasonic DMP BD330
AVR: Denon 1612
Front R/L: Polk Audio Monitor 40 Series II
Center: Polk Audio CS1
Surround R/L: Yamaha NS-5290
Sub: Polk Audio PSW10
post #38 of 46 Old 09-11-2012, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

It's getting harder to find an IMAX theater projecting film anymore as all theaters are rushing to convert to digital projection. I'm heading down to the Regal Lincolnshire IMAX (Chicago area) on September 8th to see Raiders, it's a smaller IMAX with 275 seats. Although it opened in 1998 the film projector was recently replaced with a digital projector in November 2011 - so no 15/70 goodness here either.

What a disappointment. I attended the 2:10 pm showing on Saturday, there were 20-30 people in the theater. We sat midway back from the screen, DLP projector which I would guess was 2K, don't know for sure. Right off the bat it was noise city, there was pixelation and break-up in small parts of the image. Processor was having a hard time or was it the file from the hard drive the movie came on? As is typical in an IMAX the sound was overly loud and to my ears seemed harsh. In hindsight we should have sat all the way to the back. I was sorry I dragged my wife and daughter to this showing. I am done with restorations in an IMAX theater.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #39 of 46 Old 09-11-2012, 08:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Is it still showing?
post #40 of 46 Old 09-11-2012, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post

Is it still showing?

You should have until this Thursday night to see it, assuming there's an IMAX screen in your area that's showing it. I had the chance to see it up where I live, and it actually turned out pretty good, especially for a 30+ years old title, despite the new color grading. The screen I saw it on, though only "IMAX Lite", was still comparable to the screen size they used at the Wang Theater for the Indiana Jones marathon in 1994, which until now was the largest screen I had ever seen the movie on.

post #41 of 46 Old 09-13-2012, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Took our son to see this today in hopes of giving him some idea what it was like on the big screen years ago. It was a flippin' joke, but we did our best to get into the story and let the tech go. Lots of weird artifacts that were not in the original film. I fully believe that this will be far bettter in our home theater on BD.

We were the only two in the house.

I hate those big rear corner speakers in IMAX theaters; very distracting.

My frame of reference on this film is the 35mm advance screening on Friday June 5, 1981 (one week prior to release), then multiple times in 70mm around the country, including the Pacific Cinerama Dome in L.A.. See goof-ball photo of buddy and I taken there on Labor Day weekend 1981. We were young buck fighter pilots and had driven to visit L.A. for the first time. How was that tall guy so thin back then...and now...? rolleyes.gif Buddy just retired as USAF Major General. Thanks for the service, TC. smile.gif

The 70mm prints were gorgeous! I want to return to comment on what I experience with BD and LCOS projection as a comparison to the film prints.
post #42 of 46 Old 09-13-2012, 07:32 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam Man View Post

Lots of weird artifacts that were not in the original film.
Wait...Jar Jar didn't make an appearance, did he?

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #43 of 46 Old 09-13-2012, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

biggrin.gif Yes! He's in the glass reflection of the snake in the Well of Souls!

The snake reflection is there, but faint and brief. The optical compositing effects in the finale are very crude-looking, but faithful to the original. The image today was far more "coarse-looking" and contrasty in many scenes than I remember on film.
post #44 of 46 Old 09-13-2012, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam Man View Post

Took our son to see this today in hopes of giving him some idea what it was like on the big screen years ago. It was a flippin' joke, but we did our best to get into the story and let the tech go. Lots of weird artifacts that were not in the original film. I fully believe that this will be far bettter in our home theater on BD.
We were the only two in the house.
I hate those big rear corner speakers in IMAX theaters; very distracting.
My frame of reference on this film is the 35mm advance screening on Friday June 5, 1981 (one week prior to release), then multiple times in 70mm around the country, including the Pacific Cinerama Dome in L.A.. See goof-ball photo of buddy and I taken there on Labor Day weekend 1981. We were young buck fighter pilots and had driven to visit L.A. for the first time. How was that tall guy so thin back then...and now...? rolleyes.gif Buddy just retired as USAF Major General. Thanks for the service, TC. smile.gif

The 70mm prints were gorgeous! I want to return to comment on what I experience with BD and LCOS projection as a comparison to the film prints.

Cam Man,

That is a cool story and to have a photo to go along with it from back then is just fantastic! I turned 19 the month Raiders came out, and ended up seeing it at least 5 times that summer alone. Took my younger brothers and parents once, and the other times with some female companionship.wink.gif Man time has gone by so fast.

The Mod Squad: New vs. Classic TV Series Opening https://vimeo.com/63119329
post #45 of 46 Old 09-14-2012, 12:05 PM

Liked: 44
Paramount is extending the run of Steven Spielberg's remastered Raiders of the Lost Ark by another week

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-raiders-lost-arc-imax-370417
post #46 of 46 Old 09-15-2012, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Paramount is extending the run of Steven Spielberg's remastered Raiders of the Lost Ark by another week
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-raiders-lost-arc-imax-370417

It will be ineteresting to hear if the experience is any better in conventional digital cinema rather than IMAX. My experience with PQ in good digital theaters over the last year has been very positive. The mini-IMAX in which I saw Raiders this week had really noticably low on/off (sequential) contrast. When the picture faded or cut to black, I was asking "Where the hell is that light coming from?" I'd turn around to see it the lights in the pj booth were on, but it was just the projectors. Personally, I'll be enjoying the series at home.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
Blu Ray Movies

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page