AVS Forum banner

Film director Tony Scott jumps to his death

4K views 83 replies 45 participants last post by  oink 
#1 ·
 http://www.contracostatimes.com/california/ci_21349685/breaking-man-who-jumped-from-vincent-thomas-bridge

British film director Tony Scott, known for such Hollywood blockbusters as "Top Gun," "Days of Thunder," "Beverly Hills Cop II" and "The Taking of Pelham 123," jumped to his death Sunday from the Vincent Thomas Bridge spanning San Pedro and Terminal Island, according to Los Angeles County coroner's officials.

Scott, 68, climbed a fence on the south side of the bridge's apex and leapt off "without hesitation" around 12:30 p.m., according to the Coroner's Department and port police.

A suicide note was found inside Scott's black Toyota Prius, which was parked on one of the eastbound lanes of the bridge, said U.S. Coast Guard Lt. Jennifer Osburn.

Scott directed Tom Cruise in "Top Gun," one of the highest-grossing films of 1986, and worked with the actor again four years later on the hit "Days of Thunder," which also featured his third and current wife, actress Donna Scott. The couple have twin boys.

Known for his trademark red baseball cap, Scott also directed "Beverly Hills Cop II," starring Eddie Murphy, "Enemy of the State," starring Will Smith and Gene Hackman, and "The Taking of Pelham 123," starring Denzel Washington and John Travolta.

Scott and his older brother, producer Ridley Scott, were co-producers on the CBS dramas "NUMB3RS" and "The Good Wife." The pair recently wrapped "Coma," a four-hour, two-night medical thriller starring Ellen Burstyn set for release next month on A&E.

Officers with port police, the Los Angeles Police Department and California Highway Patrol joined city firefighters and the Coast Guard in searching the water for his body.

Cargo vessels moved at slow speeds through the east side of the Main Channel during the search, said Los Angeles Fire Department spokesman Brian Humphrey.

"It's a dolorous task and we're working to treat the deceased with the utmost dignity and respect," Humphrey said.

Authorities used sonar equipment to track the man in the port's murky waters and his body was recovered by a dive team around 4:30 p.m., Alva said. Scott's body was taken to a dock in Wilmington and turned over to the county coroner.

One lane of the eastbound side of the bridge was closed to traffic during the investigation.

Erected in 1963, the 6,060-foot bridge links San Pedro with Terminal Island and rises 185 feet at its highest point above the Main Channel of Los Angeles Harbor. Many have taken their lives by jumping from the span.

See less See more
#2 ·
I was very sorry to read this, having been on the set of "Pelham" as an extra. Aside from being one of the very few directors I've ever had direct contact with, he was always energetic, upbeat, focused, and affable at all times...day/night/mornings , regardless of conditions or logistics with a large-scale production. A ball of vitality, enthusiasm, and gusto, even in his 60s. His ever-resent red baseball-cap always moving about.. I can't imagine what might have driven him to jump to his death (perhaps some debilitating illness?) , but it's a saddening start to the week. R.I.P Mr Scott..

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhan  /t/1425399/film-director-tony-scott-jumps-to-his-death#post_22322270

A suicide note was found inside Scott's black Toyota Prius, which was parked on one of the eastbound lanes of the bridge, said U.S. Coast Guard Lt. Jennifer Osburn.
That part of the story was updated later: the note in his car turned out to be a contact list. His suicide note was found afterwards in his office.

From the L.A. Times:
Quote:
Several witnesses told police they saw Scott get out of his Toyota Prius, which was parked on the bridge, about 12:30 p.m. Then he scaled an 8- to 10-foot fence and jumped off without any hesitation, law enforcement sources said.

A source said officials looked inside the car and determined it belonged to the famed action-movie director and producer. A note listing contact information was inside. A suicide note was later found in his office. Its contents were not revealed.
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-tony-scott-20120820,0,398891.story

#9 ·
Was heading down to cabrillo beach today when I witnessed this. Would never expect it to be Tony Scott. Rip.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

#13 ·
R.I.P.

Really sad when talented people die before their time.

He directed some of my all time favourites like True Romance, Spy Game, Top Gun....

So I'm sad that he won't do more films and the way he ended it.

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede  /t/1425399/film-director-tony-scott-jumps-to-his-death#post_22323191

Maybe "has it all" is not the answer.

"mental illness"??? "Having it all"??? No offense to anyone, but next I'm expecting someone to blame drugs (which is another "jump the gun" response that is usually false). All the money in the world is useless if it is a debilitating health issue.

I've heard rumors that Mr. Scott may have had an inoperable brain tumor/cancer...again, that is a RUMOR. But, if true, perhaps he opted to leave us in a way that suited him, as well as sparing his family the pain and heartache that accompanies such an illness.

Right now, we do not know why Tony Scott felt he had to do this. Hopefully, more facts will be made available in the coming days.

#20 ·
He probably had just received some devastating medical news... and devastating news for the rest of us too.

Sad, but it does happen. We will surely miss him. Prayers for his brother, his co-workers, and his family.

#22 ·
We don't really know why Scott committed suicide, of course, but the first thing I suspect when anyone commits suicide is untreated depression. It is bad stuff and no respecter of power or position.

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens  /t/1425399/film-director-tony-scott-jumps-to-his-death#post_22323377

Top Gun' Director Tony Scott Had Inoperable Brain Cancer

It makes you wonder why people choose the method they do when they take their own life. Jumping from a bridge would be low on my list. So would a gun or a razorblade. A pill and bed would be my choice.

Mine too, but perhaps he felt this method was preferable to his body being found by a family member.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.