post #361 of 1422 Old 09-03-2012, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter0911 View Post

CDs will end by the end of this year....google it....
The major labels plan to abandon the CD-format by the end of 2012 (or even earlier) and replace it with download/stream only releases via iTunes and related music services. The only CD-formats that will be left over will be the limited edition ones, which will of course not be available for every artist. The distribution model for these remaining CD releases would be primarily Amazon which is already the biggest CD retailer worldwide anyhow.
Your comment is wrong about people age 40-60 dont want streaming...Im in my 40s and love streaming. I have over 60+ movies/tv shows from Amazon and appx 30 on Vudu. My Mother is 67 and loves streaming, also my Mother-In-Law is in her 60s and just bought a blu-ray player not to watch BDs but to stream (netflix,vudu,pandora etc. etc.) .
And your quote here "Again the only way this will work is if they make a device that makes it easy to download, watch, and archive movies. Putting it on a PC and expecting an average american to figure out how to stream the movie to his tv is ridiculous." haven't you ever heard of the WD TV Live Hub? Hook up with HDMI connect a ethernet cable and thats all you need...built in 1tb hard drive....streams Netflix, Hulu Plus, Pandora, Vudu (which you can download too) plus you can put your own DVDs and Blu-Rays on too plus you can also stream your own media too.

did not know that about CDs. So it took 15 years for digital to overtake CD.

I did not mean to say all 40-60 years olds, just the majority.

You are the FIRST person i've ever heard of having such a vast streaming library. Does the quality of the video/audio not bother you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1422 Old 09-03-2012, 07:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

And Rihanna sold an additional 25 million albums (most digital, and more than $10 a pop) and 20 million singles in the years before (almost all downloads.)
Most of the Black Eyed Peas revenue is digital downloads. Most of Justin Bieber's (god how I hate him, but he sells mp3s like no one's business.)

you are the one who said Boyle is not in the forefront. I assumed you meant in total gross sales.

Here 1st album was in the top5 of grossing $.
Same with her second album.
post #363 of 1422 Old 09-03-2012, 07:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

LOL - so you really believe that 50+ of the biggest companies in the home video market who are backing UV are wrong? That it isn't going to work?
I gave you a link so you could educate yourself on exactly what UV offers consumers. Please take the time to read it.

but does it do 3d?
post #364 of 1422 Old 09-03-2012, 07:12 PM

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Is DVD (Physical Media) Dying? YES.
Everything is Dying. PERIOD.
Even Streaming is Dying.

How can streaming be dying when it is in a positive growth mode. So much for that BS. rolleyes.gif
Quote:
Their are other technologies (holograms, direct to brain signals, ect) that will overtake traditional streaming.

Holograms? They haven't advanced in 50 years since they first were invented. Direct to brain signals . . . LMAO!
Quote:
So whats the big deal? Nothing.
All tech goes through life cycles. Streaming will take about 20 years to get a 90% market share.
We are better off talking about holograms and 3d without glasses which are only a decade away.

Where did you come up with 20 years?

Auto 3D is coming (3 to 5 years) but if it remotely acts like it does today with all the caveats, hooks and handles, it will flop miserably.
post #365 of 1422 Old 09-03-2012, 07:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 59
Quote:

you are the one who said Boyle is not in the forefront. I assumed you meant in total gross sales.
Here 1st album was in the top5 of grossing $.
Same with her second album.

I meant by market penetration and being on the pulse of what the largest market is buying. So a bunch of 40-60 year olds like her albums. She's not going to save CDs.

Several artists are already burning up the downloading business and show no signs of slowing.

Ask anyone where they heard of Rihanna. Most will say some music source (radio, Pandora, MTV.) Ask anyone where they heard of Susan Boyle. Most will say "She's that chick on Britain's Got Talent." Who do you think drives the music industry more?

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #366 of 1422 Old 09-03-2012, 07:13 PM

Quote:

but does it do 3d?

No reason why it can't.
post #367 of 1422 Old 09-03-2012, 07:15 PM

Quote:

Unheard of run. Yeah, I guess he's never heard of laserdisc (1978-2001, 23 years for media, another 8 for players) or VHS (1976-2006, 30 years for media, players still in production in combo units.)
And as Lee pointed out, you don't necessarily need faster broadband if the codecs like H.265 can reduce the file size.

H.265 will reduce a 1080P file size by 50% without any loss in quality
post #368 of 1422 Old 09-03-2012, 07:19 PM

Quote:

adult contemporary artist like Susan Boyle and Andre Bochieli sell a TON of CD's.
Even taylor swift sells a TON of CD's.

•There were 228 million physical album sales in 2011, a decline of 5% over 2010, significantly less than the 19.5% decline in 2010.

•Digital track sales set a new record with 1.27 billion sales in 2011, an increase of 100 million sales (8.4%) over 2010.

•Lady Gaga claimed the top spot as the most streamed artist in 2011 with more than 135 million streams.

http://moneyland.time.com/2012/01/06/digital-music-sales-finally-surpassed-physical-sales-in-2011/
post #369 of 1422 Old 09-03-2012, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:

The major labels plan to abandon the CD-format by the end of 2012 (or even earlier) and replace it with download/stream only releases via iTunes and related music services. The only CD-formats that will be left over will be the limited edition ones, which will of course not be available for every artist. The distribution model for these remaining CD releases would be primarily Amazon which is already the biggest CD retailer worldwide anyhow.
Your comment is wrong about people age 40-60 dont want streaming...Im in my 40s and love streaming. I have over 60+ movies/tv shows from Amazon and appx 30 on Vudu. My Mother is 67 and loves streaming, also my Mother-In-Law is in her 60s and just bought a blu-ray player not to watch BDs but to stream (netflix,vudu,pandora etc. etc.) .
And your quote here "Again the only way this will work is if they make a device that makes it easy to download, watch, and archive movies. Putting it on a PC and expecting an average american to figure out how to stream the movie to his tv is ridiculous." haven't you ever heard of the WD TV Live Hub? Hook up with HDMI connect a ethernet cable and thats all you need...built in 1tb hard drive....streams Netflix, Hulu Plus, Pandora, Vudu (which you can download too) plus you can put your own DVDs and Blu-Rays on too plus you can also stream your own media too.

Bullocks:
http://www.nme.com/blog/index.php?blog=146&title=are_major_labels_about_to_abandon_the_cd_1&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Look at the revenue. CD is huge money for an ailing music industry. CD is not going anywhere.
post #370 of 1422 Old 09-03-2012, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:

Bullocks:
http://www.nme.com/blog/index.php?blog=146&title=are_major_labels_about_to_abandon_the_cd_1&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Look at the revenue. CD is huge money for an ailing music industry. CD is not going anywhere.

I see DVD/Blu-Ray easily being around another 10+ years....
post #371 of 1422 Old 09-03-2012, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

Bullocks:
I see DVD/Blu-Ray easily being around another 10+ years....

Good article, thanks, but you didnt have to tell me twice!! biggrin.gif
post #372 of 1422 Old 09-03-2012, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

did not know that about CDs. So it took 15 years for digital to overtake CD.
I did not mean to say all 40-60 years olds, just the majority.
You are the FIRST person i've ever heard of having such a vast streaming library. Does the quality of the video/audio not bother you?

No not at all. Streaming is just like DVDs/Blu-rays some are good some not so good.

Some of the advantages of streaming are OAR/Anamorphic.... some examples are Memphis Belle-DVD piss poor NonAnamorphic, not on BD- on Vudu 1080p DD 5.1+ OAR. True Lies DVD NonAnamorphic, on Amazon Streaming Anamorphic DD 5.1 OAR.

And to answer your question in another post, yes you can stream 3D... I have Meet the Robinsons on Vudu in 3D.
post #373 of 1422 Old 09-03-2012, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 336
This a topic that will have a lot of controversy here ,true audiophile and videophile wont agree on streaming that's period ,They want the best they can get and yes there is differences between Lossy and lossless you will tell that if you have a system that exceed what your are currently owning, If you want the best that you can ,you will have to paid for it ,But definitely there is better options than streaming.

Are we going backwards or forward in music?a LP record are still far better than cd and even way far than mp3.lets use the common sense here, there still selling LP I still don't see tubes dying... and they where made before I was born.Yes many consumers will go to the streaming route, but true audiophiles and videophile will still exist.
post #374 of 1422 Old 09-03-2012, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 14
Quote:

Personally I own many Bluray's that I have watched over 6 times and many I've watched over 10 times:
Starwars (all six movies)
LOTR (all six movies)
Batman begins
Batman Dark Knight
Inception
Matrix
Matrix2
Matrix3
Ironman
X-men
downfall
Hero
Yes I watch a lot of movies. I watch an average of 5 movies every week (3 movies for the 3 times I run on my treadmill and 2 movies in the home theater).
I own about 120 blurays. 5 x 52 weeks = 260 movies a year. Thats over a thousand movies in 4 years. With Vudu I would be paying $8000 in that period of time. I've spent a fraction of that on my bluray collection. And with Vudu you end up with nothing. Maybe I'm odd because I like to watch great movies again and again. But why not? I don't eat Ribeye steak only once a decade.
Sometimes I only watch a specific scene or the bonus features or the commentary. Either way if I had to 'stream' these movies I would have paid over $100 to watch Return of the King. The key is not to buy crappy movies. Most of the movies I buy at watch at least 2 times. So if you use Vudu thats $16 right their. That's more than the average cost of my bluray collection (about $12). And I can watch the movie any time. I can watch it at my friends house. Let my sister borrow a few movies. I can watch it DOZENS of times. And I have clear and free title. PERIOD. With streaming you own NOTHING. Plus I dont need a data plan or fast internet connection. Plus I get better sound. Plus I get better video quality on my 92 inch screen.
So with streaming I need to pay more.
Get worse quality.
Own nothing.
Sounds great!

You usually pay a monthly subscription fee to stream a large library as often as you would like OR you can purchase it once, store it in the cloud stream it from there as often as you would like. So, you would actually save money, but lose the quality, which is the crux of this entire thread.
post #375 of 1422 Old 09-03-2012, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post

This a topic that will have a lot of controversy here ,true audiophile and videophile wont agree on streaming that's period ,They want the best they can get and yes there is differences between Lossy and lossless you will tell that if you have a system that exceed what your are currently owning, If you want the best that you can ,you will have to paid for it ,But definitely there is better options than streaming.
Are we going backwards or forward in music?a LP record are still far better than cd and even way far than mp3.lets use the common sense here, there still selling LP I still don't see tubes dying... and they where made before I was born.Yes many consumers will go to the streaming route, but true audiophiles and videophile will still exist.

"True Audiophiles and Videophiles" will want the best quality available. Do they really care if it comes on a disc or it came on a downloaded file?

What if Sony announced tomorrow that Lawrence Of Arabia would be available in 4K, OAR with DD+ through their Sony Store as a download only when they release their new 84" 4KTV? Are the "philes" going to reject it because it's digital and not on a disc?
post #376 of 1422 Old 09-03-2012, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Quote:

"True Audiophiles and Videophiles" will want the best quality available. Do they really care if it comes on a disc or it came on a downloaded file?

What if Sony announced tomorrow that Lawrence Of Arabia would be available in 4K, OAR with DD+ through their Sony Store as a download only when they release their new 84" 4KTV? Are the "philes" going to reject it because it's digital and not on a disc?

Do they still be using vinil LP and tubes for music? Your comment is getting out of common sense and way out of reality.
post #377 of 1422 Old 09-03-2012, 10:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Maybe when they can stream in 4k I'll dump my blu's...

Xbox Live: General PATT0N
post #378 of 1422 Old 09-04-2012, 12:18 AM

Quote:

Do they still be using vinil LP and tubes for music? Your comment is getting out of common sense and way out of reality.

LOL - far from it. As a mattar of fact, what I described is right around the corner. What you decribed - LP and Tube Equip. is nothing more than niche products. Throwbacks to the past.
post #379 of 1422 Old 09-04-2012, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightintel View Post

Maybe when they can stream in 4k I'll dump my blu's...

If 4K is to be anything other than a niche product for a select few, they will accomplish that. The CEMs thought that 3DTV was going to be the "next big thing." That didn't work out. So 4K is up next. An attempt to bring lucrative profits back to selling TVs. And yet we all know where it's going to end . . . 8K. So 4K will really be nothing more than a half step.
post #380 of 1422 Old 09-04-2012, 12:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Does that mean we'll have to invest in upscaling Blu-ray players? wink.gif

post #381 of 1422 Old 09-04-2012, 01:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Do they still be using vinil LP and tubes for music? .

Not all audiophiles go for LPs and tubes. In fact, most go with the redbook CD, SACDs or DVD-As. LPs are really a niche within a niche.

The things that arguably make vinyl "sound better" than a CD require thousands of dollars worth of gear to extract from the format. A really good turntable that is set up properly (proper stylus force, skate and drag settings), and excellent cartridge (moving magnet or moving coil?), a really great phono pre-amp, etc., etc. Douchebags that say stuff like their vinyl sounds "warmer," when they play it through their Sanyo all-in-one shelf stereo system that they bought at Fry's just look like idiots.

post #382 of 1422 Old 09-04-2012, 01:12 AM

Quote:

Does that mean we'll have to invest in upscaling Blu-ray players? wink.gif

What a joke right?

BD 1.0
BD 1.1 Bonus View
BD 2.0 BD Live
BD 3D
BD 4K Upscale (Sony)
BD Disc To Digital (Samsung)
post #383 of 1422 Old 09-04-2012, 02:59 AM

Liked: 12
I think the biggest pet peeve of mine is when friends or roommates say "I just download/stream movies on my laptop" in a bragging fashion, after learning I have a true HT system with Bluray and such.

Quality is rubbish for the online streams they are referring to, and it ain't Netflix or iTunes, that's for sure!
post #384 of 1422 Old 09-04-2012, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

..........a LP record are (is) still far better than cd and even way far than mp3.lets use the common sense here, there still selling LP.........

As a side note our professional music artist son has my and his mothers complete collection of 1960's & 1970's rock albums plus his own collection of lengendary blues/rock from throughout the 1900's. Most probably close to 500 - 700 vinyls. I'm sure his son will carry on our famiy's passion for vinyl. Addititedly, our son utilizies all forms of music technology in his recording studio.

The sound of vinyl is like a fine wine.

MY EQUIPMENT
Sony HDTV KDL-46HX750
Denon AVR 1912
DirecTV HD DVR HR24 & AM21N OTA Receiver
Panasonic HD DVD DMP-BD65 & Toshiba HD DVR A20
Infinity Alpha Series Speakers - 50's (2), 20's (2), 10's (2), 37c (1) & Velodyne Subwoofer
Panamax M4300-PM Power Center
Monoprice Cables & Harmony One Remote
post #385 of 1422 Old 09-04-2012, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rliebherr View Post

You usually pay a monthly subscription fee to stream a large library as often as you would like OR you can purchase it once, store it in the cloud stream it from there as often as you would like. So, you would actually save money, but lose the quality, which is the crux of this entire thread.

problem is that most subscription based services like Netflix have only tv shows or really old movies. Their library of movies is a total joke. The only way you can see the really good movies is to do Vudu for $8 each.
post #386 of 1422 Old 09-04-2012, 06:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

Bullocks:

So CD's are alive and well.

When i read that 2012 would be the last year of mass production CD's i was SHOCKED!
And for good reason, the article was pure BS.

Like i said I see CD lasting a good 5 years at least. That will give CD's a 20+ year lifespan after digital music started. I see physiclal video media lasting at least 20 more years.

Look at the list of 2011 top paid musicians:
U2, Bon Jovi, Elton John, Gaga, Micheal Buble, Paul McCartney, Black eye peas, Eagles, Bieber, Dave Matthews

I'd say the 6 or 7 of those artists have HUGE CD sales.
Do you think Bieber will be popular in 5 years? Or Gaga? U2, Bon Jovi, Elton John ect, have been crushing the industry for decades.
post #387 of 1422 Old 09-04-2012, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I meant by market penetration and being on the pulse of what the largest market is buying. So a bunch of 40-60 year olds like her albums. She's not going to save CDs.
Several artists are already burning up the downloading business and show no signs of slowing.
Ask anyone where they heard of Rihanna. Most will say some music source (radio, Pandora, MTV.) Ask anyone where they heard of Susan Boyle. Most will say "She's that chick on Britain's Got Talent." Who do you think drives the music industry more?

lol. older people dont give a crap about Rihanna. My parents have no idea who she is but they sure know Boyle/Bochieil and so do 20,000,000 other adults who have $$.

it does not matter what you think which segment is more important.
Bottom line is Boyle had #1 album in 2009 even though it was released in Dec 2009.
Her second album also was a top5 album for the year.

There is still a TON of money to make on CD sales for a few artist like Boyle and Andrea Bochieli.

Again YOUR WERE THE ONE WHO SAID BOYLE was not at the forefront of the music industry. Funny, two of her albums dominated the charts and she has sold more albums than 99.9% of the industry in the past 3 years. If you don't think the adult contemporary music market has no value, YOU ARE A FOOL. The AC market has consistently had albums in the top10 year after year. And that wont change any time soon especially with people living longer.
post #388 of 1422 Old 09-04-2012, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rliebherr View Post

problem is that most subscription based services like Netflix have only tv shows or really old movies. Their library of movies is a total joke. The only way you can see the really good movies is to do Vudu for $8 each.

What is your definition of "really old movies"?

Most of my DVD collection consists of older movies that are really good movies. I have even recorded some good old movies off of cable that were never available on DVD/Bluray but at one time may have been available on VHS or Laserdisc. For convenience I have even recorded some VHS tapes to DVD, but that is more or less a last resort to save a tape that will not last forever. Sooner rather than later I intend to get rid of all of my remaining VHS collection.

Just for the record, I do not steam anything. It is easier to pop in a DVD or Bluray and just watch the movie. I can also sell the used DVD on Ebay if and when I want to get rid of it. I also wonder what happens to your "content" when you do not pay your "cloud storage" bill?
post #389 of 1422 Old 09-04-2012, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Palmer_Cass View Post

Most of my DVD collection consists of older movies that are really good movies. I have even recorded some good old movies off of cable that were never available on DVD/Bluray but at one time may have been available on VHS or Laserdisc. For convenience I have even recorded some VHS tapes to DVD, but that is more or less a last resort to save a tape that will not last forever. Sooner rather than later I intend to get rid of all of my remaining VHS collection.
Just for the record, I do not steam anything. It is easier to pop in a DVD or Bluray and just watch the movie. I can also sell the used DVD on Ebay if and when I want to get rid of it. I also wonder what happens to your "content" when you do not pay your "cloud storage" bill?

There is no such thing as a "cloud storage" bill !!
post #390 of 1422 Old 09-04-2012, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Palmer_Cass View Post

I guess i should have said really bad movies instead of really old movies.

I've been a netflix subscriber for many years and everytime I tried to stream movies I could not find anything decent to watch. And when i did find something the audio/video quality was horrible with multiple times the movie freezing up.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
Blu Ray Movies

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page