post #541 of 1422 Old 09-04-2012, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

I use just about everything, but it depends on the movie and what's available. BD if it's a movie that warrants it and easy to get to, but VUDU HDX works, too. Netflix stream or DVD if not available elsewhere, even VHS for a few oddball things that will probably never be digitized.
I also snag VUDU's 99¢ movie of the day if I find it interesting.

I agree, I think this is prob the best time to be a movie lover! So many options to get content!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1422 Old 09-04-2012, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Here are the 2011 EOY Digital numbers from the DEG:
EST*: $.553B
VOD: $1.869.10B
SVOD: $.993.57B
TOTAL: $3.416.33
EST = Electronic Sell Thru
So EST was 16% of the total Digital revenue in 2011. Your shoot from the hip guess was WAY OFF.

$500 mil is a drop in the bucket compared to bluray/dvd sales.

and you think dvd/bluray will die in 2 years.

Lol.
post #543 of 1422 Old 09-04-2012, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:

Then explain the failure of Blockbuster Express please

Redbox.. And the Blockbuster name probably did no favors to anyone.

So you don't think there is any correlation between the rise of Redbox and other cheap streaming and Netflix disc rentals and the demise of the B&M rental stores? I mean with less people buying the B&M stores should have been seeing record revenue, no?

And you say you are here to fight the BS... How about you stop contributing to it.
post #544 of 1422 Old 09-04-2012, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I use:
BD rentals from Netflix and Redbox
DVD rentals from Netflix
VOD (HD) from Comcast
Streaming from Netflix and Comcast's On Demand (HD)

So you keep rallying on around here with regards to UV, yet you don't even use it??
post #545 of 1422 Old 09-04-2012, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

So you keep rallying on around here with regards to UV, yet you don't even use it??

LOL
post #546 of 1422 Old 09-04-2012, 01:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
Quote:

Redbox.. And the Blockbuster name probably did no favors to anyone.

Blockbuster Express died because their title selection was piss poor (literally ten titles on a good day), they were slow to adopt new titles, and they kept titles too long. They also had no online reservation/browsing function.

Same with DVDXpress and DVDPlay. The product was bad.

Like I said, kiosks are probably a one company market.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #547 of 1422 Old 09-04-2012, 01:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

What does personally using something have to do with stating what is true about how it can be used?

I didn't start buying Blu-rays until last year or so. That doesn't mean I said "BLU-RAYS SUCK, THEY ONLY USE DOLBY DIGITAL LOL!" at the time I didn't use them. I knew what they were capable of doing.

post #548 of 1422 Old 09-04-2012, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Physical Disc sales: 9 billion
Digital Movie Downloads/stream with ownership rights: 500 million

big difference there jake.

Physiclal media still out numbers digital almost 20 to 1.

And i can agree that the majority of the streaming growth in 2011 is from people cancelling cable and using Netflix instead.

Physical Media will be alive and well for 10 more years.
And wont be totally dead (less than 10% share) till 2032
post #549 of 1422 Old 09-04-2012, 01:08 PM

Liked: 44
Quote:

You have to buy a disc to get UV and I stopped buying movies on disc a while ago. You really need to READ what I posted Ack. My household is rental only.
post #550 of 1422 Old 09-04-2012, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

What does personally using something have to do with stating what is true about how it can be used?

because part of his argument is that 600,000,000 people will use UV in a few years.
post #551 of 1422 Old 09-04-2012, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

LOL

Same applies to you sog35...do you use UV? or Stream? rolleyes.gif
post #552 of 1422 Old 09-04-2012, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You have to buy a disc to get UV and I stopped buying movies on disc a while ago. You really need to READ what I posted Ack. My household is rental only.

so then you are not really the target market for the business.

they want people who BUY.
thats where the real money is made.
post #553 of 1422 Old 09-04-2012, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter0911 View Post

Same applies to you sog35...do you use UV? or Stream? rolleyes.gif

I have streamed on Netflix:
it sucked as hell.
video is crap.
audio is crap.
keeps getting stuck.
only sucky movies

I have streamed on Time Warner:
video/audio still not close to BD
expensive as hell $7
no extra features or commentaries or even subttitles

I have several UV licenses that I have never redemmed.
I see no reason to. My Bluray version is better than the UV version in every possible way.
Unless I want to watch Spiderman on my toilet, which I dont want to.
post #554 of 1422 Old 09-04-2012, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My advice is to actually try something before you start promoting it and rallying around it. UV on paper sounds great. UV in practice, at least based on my experience on a half dozen titles from various studios... Not so great.. You seem to think it is too big to fail, but many companies have failed in the same manner. UV was a huge step in the right direction and there are many positive things about it, but execution to date has been lacking...
post #555 of 1422 Old 09-04-2012, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have streamed on Netflix:
it sucked as hell.
video is crap.
audio is crap.
keeps getting stuck.
only sucky movies
I have streamed on Time Warner:
video/audio still not close to BD
expensive as hell $7
no extra features or commentaries or even subttitles
I have several UV licenses that I have never redemmed.
I see no reason to. My Bluray version is better than the UV version in every possible way.
Unless I want to watch Spiderman on my toilet, which I dont want to.

Sounds like you got piss poor internet....oh Time Warner that explains it!!

btw whats your speeds?
post #556 of 1422 Old 09-04-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:

Physical Disc sales: 9 billion
Digital Movie Downloads/stream with ownership rights: 500 million
big difference there jake.

LOL - you are SO transparrent:

OD sales for 2011 were $8.951.80B - you rounded it up to $9 billion. EST sales for 2011 were $533M - you rounded it DOWN to $500 million. rolleyes.gif

BTW - has anyone said that EST will replace OD for movie sales? I sure didn't. But I am saying that rentals will exceed purchases in the next 2 or 3 years. How's that for a stand?
Quote:
And i can agree that the majority of the streaming growth in 2011 is from people cancelling cable and using Netflix instead.

Can you provide concrete proof/evidence as opposed to your misguided opinion, that this is a fact?
post #557 of 1422 Old 09-04-2012, 01:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

btw whats your speeds?

He also lost three or four hard drives. Maybe he just isn't tech savvy enough. tongue.gif

Losing one, okay, it happens. Two? I'm suspicious. Three or more? You're doing something wrong.

post #558 of 1422 Old 09-04-2012, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

My advice is to actually try something before you start promoting it and rallying around it. UV on paper sounds great. UV in practice, at least based on my experience on a half dozen titles from various studios... Not so great.. You seem to think it is too big to fail, but many companies have failed in the same manner. UV was a huge step in the right direction and there are many positive things about it, but execution to date has been lacking...

this is truth.

I really though he actually used UV at least.
post #559 of 1422 Old 09-04-2012, 01:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

My advice is to actually try something before you start promoting it and rallying around it.

Why does he have to use UV in order to be knowledgeable about what it can be used for? His main arguments have been in response to Exaggertron's statements which are just not true, or are grossly inflated problems that won't happen to 99.99999% of users.

post #560 of 1422 Old 09-04-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:

And yet reading about others experiences using UV is different than yours. . . . as in satisfactory

UV is not a sprint. It's a marathon. Something I am sure you already know. wink.gif
post #561 of 1422 Old 09-04-2012, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

btw whats your speeds?

my speed is double that of an ave USA household: about 10 Mbps.
post #562 of 1422 Old 09-04-2012, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

And yet reading about others experiences using UV is different than yours. . . . as in satisfactory
UV is not a sprint. It's a marathon. Something I am sure you already know. wink.gif

exactly

15-20 year sprint to kill DVD/BD/4K
post #563 of 1422 Old 09-04-2012, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

What do you find lacking? I use UV all the time with no issues....

Example Jaws Blu-ray.... HD copy on VUDU streams to my BD players, Media Center, Xbox, Smart TVs....Amazon Instant Streaming Copy....Streams to same plus Tablet, also VUDU linked with Flixter also streams to Smartphones and Tablet...
post #564 of 1422 Old 09-04-2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:

this is truth.
I really though he actually used UV at least.

I have seen demos at my local Best Buy. I am knowledgable about the process. Can you say the same thing because you have been shooting it down all over this thread. IMO you never even heard of Ultraviolet until you got onto this thread.
post #565 of 1422 Old 09-04-2012, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I didn't start buying Blu-rays until last year or so. That doesn't mean I said "BLU-RAYS SUCK, THEY ONLY USE DOLBY DIGITAL LOL!" at the time I didn't use them. I knew what they were capable of doing.

Because arguing around specs is not very useful. There is a lot more to a product that what it can do based on a specification vs what you get in the real world. On paper, many products sound great and then failed because they were executed, marketed poorly, etc and never caught on.

Have you tried UV from multiple studios yet? When UV was released late last year it was slammed by many critics for not being easy to use. I just tried using it recently, again and it was not much better than when I tried late last year. This article sums it up for me (conincidently Hugo was one of the titles I tried recently):
http://www.hd-report.com/2012/07/10/ultraviolet-review-are-digital-copies-worth-the-pain/
Quote:
UltraViolet Review: Are digital copies worth the pain?
by hdreport on July 10, 2012

Getting an UltraViolet account set up is a royal pain in the butt. But is the pain worth the gain? Let’s take a quick look at the entire process during which you might have to log-in half a dozen times into various webpages just to get UltraViolet working. If you’re a first time user, you might start with an UltraViolet redemption code from a purchased Blu-ray Disc or DVD. Or, you might start with a creating a VUDU account to get a free UltraViolet movie (a limited time offer from VUDU owner Walmart). If you’re starting with a redemption code, the DVD’s insert will direct you to go to a certain web address. In this case, we purchased the Blu-ray Disc “Hugo” and were instructed to go to paramountuv.com/hugo. (Notice the “uv” in the domain name – it’s a specific URL Paramount has created for UltraViolet movies. Once you get to the site, you’ll be asked to either log-in or create an account. This is the first step.

Creating an account with a distributor
There are several studios and distributors participating in the UltraViolet format. Each studio has its own titles available in UV, so you need to have account with them first for the redemption code to work. Use an email address that you frequently use, because you’ll probably need to activate the account through an incoming email. (In other words, don’t use a fake email address or account you may have forgotten the password for.)

Creating an account with UltraViolet
Next, the studio will ask you to create an UltraViolet account if you don’t already have one. This is because UltraViolet isn’t owned by one specific studio. Rather, it’s a shared format that each studio is using to distribute movies via the cloud. When we redeemed the UV code “Hugo” we registering that title with UltraViolet to get the digital license, but we’ll be accessing the file through Paramount.

Linking the accounts
Fortunately, linking the accounts between the UltraViolet database and the distributor is done automatically. However, to make things easier it’s advisable to use the same email address throughout the process. You might find yourself jumping from one website another to get through this.

Downloading apps
If using a tablet or phone (iOS or Android OS), you’ll need to download an app from the studio or distributor. Yet another account setup and email login! We had to download the free Paramount app then login with the username/password we created with the first Paramount account setup. We also had to register the device with Paramount – which was a bit perplexing. (We’re thinking Paramount doesn’t want too many devices accessing the movie (although no limit was indicated) – or maybe they’re monitoring the types of devices using the UV format.)

Watching your UV movies
Here’s where the confusing part might be. Your entire library will exist in the UltraViolet database, but this is simply your library list. Your movie is not going to stream from the UltraViolet website. When you go to stream your UV movie through a browser a new tab will bring you to the place where you bought the movie. There you’ll have to sign in yet again! Hence, if you bought the digital copy from VUDU you’ll be redirected to vudu.com. If you bought the copy from Paramount you’ll be directed to paramount.com. After you’ve set up your accounts you can set your browser to “Remember my password” to avoid the multiple sign-ins. (However, those of you concerned with online privacy might not want to store your passwords.)

Glitches still exist
When UltraViolet first launched in fall 2011, lots of people complained about how clunky the process was. We experienced similar frustrations. After successfully starting a download of “Hugo” from Paramount there was apparently a break in the internet connection. When trying to continue the download, the resulting error “Invalid License” kept appearing. (FYI: We made sure our UV redemption code was valid until 2013.) Consequently, we had to completely remove and reinstall the Paramount app for the iPad to get this movie to download successfully. Although, streaming directly from the site worked OK on the first try.

It should also be noted that not having enough hard drive space on your tablet, phone or PC will give you problems when trying to download files. You might have noticed how much space an HD copy of a film takes up – usually at least 1.5GB. Those movies eat up space quickly on your device. But, that may be why the UltraViolet format is so useful. Rather than storing all your movies on your own device, you can store them in the cloud. Downloading movies does take time though, so be sure to leave yourself enough time if you’re planning on downloading a movie from the internet.

Digital movies are certainly the future. But, the whole process of setting up the UltraViolet and coinciding Paramount account took about 2 hours of time. You’ll find yourself signing in and creating accounts during what seems like an endless circle. Hopefully, the next UltraViolet purchase will be much more enjoyable. [Editor’s addition] The download of Hugo looked like it worked. However, after pausing the movie and attempting to resume the error “License for the current content has expired” kept appearing. So much for that. Guess we’ll just have to use an old fashioned disc to watch this one.

If the studios don't fix this, UV is not going to be the future...
post #566 of 1422 Old 09-04-2012, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Why does he have to use UV in order to be knowledgeable about what it can be used for? His main arguments have been in response to Exaggertron's statements which are just not true, or are grossly inflated problems that won't happen to 99.99999% of users.

yes 99.99999999% of users never had their harddisk crash. LOL.

yes 99.99999999% of users backup their entire harddisk offsite each weak. LOL.
post #567 of 1422 Old 09-04-2012, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have seen demos at my local Best Buy. I am knowledgable about the process. Can you say the same thing because you have been shooting it down all over this thread.

unlike you i actually own several UV titles
post #568 of 1422 Old 09-04-2012, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

my speed is double that of an ave USA household: about 10 Mbps.

Is that normal speed? off peak times? what do you get on peak times?

That could be why your streaming sucks...
post #569 of 1422 Old 09-04-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:

exactly
15-20 year sprint to kill DVD/BD/4K

Would you PLEASE stop with your "there will only be one type of media delivery system in the future" BS. I can't stress enough how ignorant you sound.
post #570 of 1422 Old 09-04-2012, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

unlike you i actually own several UV titles

Which you said you havent used! So why does that make you know more about it? LOL
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
Blu Ray Movies

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page