The DVD Is Dying - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 1422 Old 09-06-2012, 03:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 38
No, I do not agree with this DVD is dying story. There will always be some form of disk based media. Movie makers make most of their money from box office sales and DVD releases. That is their bread and butter. DVD producers need to not make so many damn DVD movies for the already saturated market. Everytime I go into Best Buy or Wallyworld, I see these HUGE bins full of movies for $5. These DVD's have been produced and shipped, only to sit in a bin hoping somebody will buy it. The DVD market is like a sponge, it can only soak up so much water. The home DVD market is so saturated with old, mass produced movies that nobody watches. Think about it. Hollywood is loosing money not because people are pirating their movies, they are loosing money because they are making crap movies nobody watches. Take John Carter for example. Disney spent millions of dollars for a horrible movie that now is forgotten. They will never recoup their losses on their movie. If they make a few movies which does not do good, they are in the red. See where I am going with this. Actors are paid waaaaaay to much money and only make a movie like John Carter tank even more. But, Hollywood would rather blame hackers and people who supposedly copy movies as the reason why they are loosing millions. Hollywood needs to look at why they are loosing money and get rid of that issue. Most consumers do not copy movies and are willing to purchase movies they like.
TeflonSoul likes this.

X-Box Live name: OGgamer1974

If you want to be friends on through xbox network, just send me a request through X-Box Live and mention AVS in the request.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 1422 Old 09-06-2012, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

$20 is still too much.
I wait till they are $10-$15.
I just rent the new releases at BB and wait a few months to buy it.

Well, yeah I am talking 3D new releases on release week. If you wait a year or two and buy used you can score them for much less.

Some movies I can wait, some movies I cannot, and $18-20 is still way cheaper than taking a family of five to the theater eek.gifeek.gif
post #903 of 1422 Old 09-06-2012, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Palmer_Cass View Post

Not sure where you came up with that number, but figure out how much money was lost on HD DVD development, new infrastructure and sales!

It was all over the Wall Street Journal - quarter after quarter

Kind of a simplistic view on how Sony loses money. Sony is a large conglomerate. Sony knows how to lose money in a lot of business segments. Their financial division used to make them a lot of money. Not sure what gives with that division these days. The Apple iPhone is killing them (amd may others) in the telephone segment..

The TV division loses money. I don't think that Sony made any money off of me when I bought (at a clearance price) my first 55" HD television in February of this year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony
post #904 of 1422 Old 09-06-2012, 04:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

Deep Discount had a one day pre-order sale on the Avengers 3D Blu-Ray combo for $17.99... Can't wait.. Very well done movie... I have bought many new release 3D BD movies (Thor, Captain America, Lion King, etc) from Deep Discount for under $20 on release week.

No Sh*t? Shoulda check there!
post #905 of 1422 Old 09-06-2012, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The DVD is better.
I can't use Vudu in HDX according the VooDoo web site.
TV is not on the list.
Bluray player is not on the list.
PC will only playback SD.
Minimum internet speed requirements higher than what I pay for.
Other than that, I don't have a clue on what master video was used on each format nor do I know what bit rates are used for VuDu HDX.
http://www.vudu.com/setup_hdtv.html

And this is a major prob with streaming.... Most people that says streaming sucks (not saying you Cass) dont have the bandwith to do proper streaming. For my example my speeds are between 20-30mbps (I monitor my speeds) I can stream Vudu HDX with no problems at all. So in a case like mine Streaming is better than Physical Disc (talking bout bad DVDs not on BD).

And to add to all this I have never read on this thread that anyone here that likes streaming wants physical discs to go away. Could it happen? Yes but who knows...

Every topic always turns to Streaming Fans hate Blu-ray which isn't true at all.
post #906 of 1422 Old 09-06-2012, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

Kind of a simplistic view on how Sony loses money. Sony is a large conglomerate. Sony knows how to lose money in a lot of business segments. Their financial division used to make them a lot of money. Not sure what gives with that division these days. The Apple iPhone is killing them (amd may others) in the telephone segment..
The TV division loses money. I don't think that Sony made any money off of me when I bought (at a clearance price) my first 55" HD television in February of this year.

Sony Lost Over $3 Billion To PS3 Cost, Pricing Imbalance

Pricing the PlayStation 3 below its production cost caused Sony to lose $2.16 billion in 2007 and $1.16 billion in 2008, the company revealed today.

http://kotaku.com/5018899/sony-lost-over-3-billion-to-ps3-cost-pricing-imbalance

Sony PS division has lost $4.7 billion since launching PS3

Feb 01, 2011

http://www.vg247.com/2009/10/30/sony-ps-division-has-lost-4-7-billion-since-launching-ps3/

Sony released its numbers for the fiscal year ending March 31, 2012 on Thursday and and they showed a $5.74 billion operating loss. $2.8 billion of that loss came from the Consumer Products and Services division that is responsible for the Playstation 3, Playstation 2, PSP and PS Vita.

http://www.examiner.com/article/ps3-price-cut-contributes-to-2-8-billion-loss-sony-s-playstation-division
post #907 of 1422 Old 09-06-2012, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter0911 View Post

Quote:

The DVD is better.
I can't use Vudu in HDX according the VooDoo web site.
TV is not on the list.
Bluray player is not on the list.
PC will only playback SD.
Minimum internet speed requirements higher than what I pay for.
Other than that, I don't have a clue on what master video was used on each format nor do I know what bit rates are used for VuDu HDX.
http://www.vudu.com/setup_hdtv.html

And this is a major prob with streaming.... Most people that says streaming sucks (not saying you Cass) dont have the bandwith to do proper streaming. For my example my speeds are between 20-30mbps (I monitor my speeds) I can stream Vudu HDX with no problems at all. So in a case like mine Streaming is better than Physical Disc (talking bout bad DVDs not on BD).

And to add to all this I have never read on this thread that anyone here that likes streaming wants physical discs to go away. Could it happen? Yes but who knows...

Every topic always turns to Streaming Fans hate Blu-ray which isn't true at all.

That was what I was trying to pin down. Internet speed matters more than most people realize.

Now that I know what to look for, I checked out Verizon FIOS Internet. You have to move up the food chain until you see streaming listed. The 15 Mbps upload speed probably is too slow, and the 50 Mbps upload speed is the first tier listed as streaming.

$50 a month extra for the 50 Mbps download speed. I can buy a lot of OD product for that monthly charge!

post #908 of 1422 Old 09-06-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBlow74 View Post

No, I do not agree with this DVD is dying story.

So how would you phrase it when the DVD sell-thru market loses almost 50% of it's revenue in 5 years?
Quote:
There will always be some form of disk based media.

Why only disc based? You think there will never be a new physical media introduced . . . ever?
Quote:
Movie makers make most of their money from box office sales and DVD releases. That is their bread and butter.

Not anymore.

Five New Ways That Hollywood Is Making Money

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/five-ways-hollywood-making-money-200350454.html
Quote:
Most consumers do not copy movies and are willing to purchase movies they like.

You mean RENT the movies they like.
post #909 of 1422 Old 09-06-2012, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Sony Lost Over $3 Billion To PS3 Cost, Pricing Imbalance

Pricing the PlayStation 3 below its production cost caused Sony to lose $2.16 billion in 2007 and $1.16 billion in 2008, the company revealed today.

http://kotaku.com/5018899/sony-lost-over-3-billion-to-ps3-cost-pricing-imbalance

Sony PS division has lost $4.7 billion since launching PS3

Feb 01, 2011

http://www.vg247.com/2009/10/30/sony-ps-division-has-lost-4-7-billion-since-launching-ps3/

Sony released its numbers for the fiscal year ending March 31, 2012 on Thursday and and they showed a $5.74 billion operating loss. $2.8 billion of that loss came from the Consumer Products and Services division that is responsible for the Playstation 3, Playstation 2, PSP and PS Vita.

http://www.examiner.com/article/ps3-price-cut-contributes-to-2-8-billion-loss-sony-s-playstation-division

Buzzwords. That division does way more than PS-2 and 3!

"All segments of the division were hit with poor sales including PCs, LCD televisions and digitial camera. However, the PS3 price reduction and lower sales of the PS2 were singled out as sore points."

Like I said, Sony did not make any money off of my 2012 purchase of a Sony 55" LCD TV . Yes, that is the same Consumer Products and Services division that is responsible for the Playstation 3, Playstation 2, PSP and PS Vita.
post #910 of 1422 Old 09-06-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:

Buzzwords. That division does way more than PS!
"All segments of the division were hit with poor sales including PCs, LCD televisions and digitial camera. However, the PS3 price reduction and lower sales of the PS2 were singled out as sore points."

LOL - defend the PS3 all you want. It has proved to be nothing more than a money loser for Sony. And what really hurts is their huge success with the PS2
post #911 of 1422 Old 09-06-2012, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Buzzwords. That division does way more than PS!

LOL - defend the PS3 all you want. It has proved to be nothing more than a money loser for Sony. And what really hurts is their huge success with the PS2

Me defend the PS-3?????????? Where do you get that? You were the one who mentioned PS-3 as being the savior of bluray. I guess that you are another member of the Sony haters club!

Does Sony lose more money on PS-3, televisions or telephones? Does it even matter relative to the topic of this thread?

I own a Sony LCD TV, Sony Bluray player(s) and Sony AV Receiver(s) as the major part of my AV System. I used to own a Sony DVD player, but that is dead and buried now. Everything works fine, and if I care to payup and upgrade my internet service in theory I should be able to stream just fine.

I don't care how much money Sony makes.
post #912 of 1422 Old 09-06-2012, 05:32 PM

Quote:

You were the one who mentioned PS-3 as being the savior of bluray. I guess that you are another member of the Sony haters club!

Sorry - not a Sony Hater. I have numerous Sony branded equipment in my home.
Quote:
Doea Sony lose more money on PS-3, televisions or telephones? Does it even matter relative to the topic of this thread?

Well seeing as how prominently BD is mentioned in this thread and the part the PS3 played in winning the HDM Format War for BD . . . yeah, I guess it is relevant.
Quote:
I own a Sony LCD TV, Sony Bluray player(s) and Sony AV Receiver(s) as the major part of my AV System. I used to own a Sony DVD player, but that is dead and buried now. Everything works fine, and if I upgrade my internet service in theory I can stream just fine.

Oh - sounds like you are a member of the Sony Lovers Club huh? I am not a member of that club. I don't hate Sony and I don't love Sony.
post #913 of 1422 Old 09-06-2012, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

Watch for 40-50% off sales at gohastings.com on used Blu-Ray's. I have bought about 30 movies this way and average price paid is around $3 per Blu-Ray. Many of them are newer releases.

thanks for the protip. never heard of them
post #914 of 1422 Old 09-06-2012, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

You were the one who mentioned PS-3 as being the savior of bluray. I guess that you are another member of the Sony haters club!

Sorry - not a Sony Hater. I have numerous Sony branded equipment in my home.
Quote:
Doea Sony lose more money on PS-3, televisions or telephones? Does it even matter relative to the topic of this thread?

Well seeing as how prominently BD is mentioned in this thread and the part the PS3 played in winning the HDM Format War for BD . . . yeah, I guess it is relevant.
Quote:
I own a Sony LCD TV, Sony Bluray player(s) and Sony AV Receiver(s) as the major part of my AV System. I used to own a Sony DVD player, but that is dead and buried now. Everything works fine, and if I upgrade my internet service in theory I can stream just fine.

Oh - sounds like you are a member of the Sony Lovers Club huh? I am not a member of that club. I don't hate Sony and I don't love Sony.

How much money Sony loses in a year is not an issue related to streaming. Guessing about how much money Sony loses on PS-3's each year is an estimate based on nothing factual.

I forgot to mention that I also own a Sony 5-disc CD player (still in use) as well as a dual deck audio cassette player (now in storage).

I also own a $20.00 Sony hard button learning remote control that replaces all of the various remote controls in my system. I can start a DVD with two button presses (no macros). Press BR player button, then play. AVR is on and set to DVD input, BR player is on, TV is on and set to HDMI-1. Since all of my equipment is Sony, the remote control markings/labels match up very well.

Do I love Sony? I don't love, but I do own their products. I prefer to have all of my A/V equipment made by one company. It just happens to be Sony product.
post #915 of 1422 Old 09-06-2012, 06:26 PM

Quote:

How much money Sony loses in a year is not an issue related to streaming. Guessing about how much money Sony loses on PS-3's each year is an estimate based on nothing factual.

No guessing - right from Sony's mouth:
Quote:

Sorry if that upsets you. It definitely seems to as you want to play make believe it didn't happen.
Quote:
I forgot to mention that I also own a Sony 5-disc CD player (still in use) as well as a dual deck audio cassette player (now in storage).
I also own a $20.00 Sony hard button learning remote control that replaces all of the various remote controls in my system. I can start a DVD with two button presses (no macros). Press BR player button, then play. AVR is on and set to DVD input, BR player is on, TV is on and set to HDMI-1. Since all of my equipment is Sony, the remote control markings/labels match up very well.
Do I love Sony? I don't love, but I do own their products. I prefer to have all of my A/V equipment made by one company. It just happens to be Sony product.

Good for you. Now ask me if I care . . .
post #916 of 1422 Old 09-06-2012, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

This thread is #1 in the most active list over the past 7 days.

How many of you made it onto the most number of postings over 7 days list?

# 2 is Lee Stewart!eek.gif

http://www.avsforum.com/pages/stats/top/range/7day/#members
post #917 of 1422 Old 09-06-2012, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

This thread is #1 in the most active list over the past 7 days.
How many of you made it onto the most number of postings over 7 days list?
# 2 is Lee Stewart!eek.gif
http://www.avsforum.com/pages/stats/top/range/7day/#members

Well if you look at Last Day I made #5 YYYYYEEESSSS
post #918 of 1422 Old 09-06-2012, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

No guessing - right from Sony's mouth:
Quote:

Sorry if that upsets you. It definitely seems to as you want to play make believe it didn't happen.

How much Sony loses in a year does not bother me one bit. I do not own any Sony stock!

I also do not know how Sony accounts for development costs, nor for software sales and subscriptions (and the like).

PS-3 sales for 2007, the time period where Sony showed a $2 billion loss, includes only 3 months of sales for the PS-3.

Your link here: http://kotaku.com/5018899/sony-lost-over-3-billion-to-ps3-cost-pricing-imbalance

Maybe competition also had something to do with those loss. Microsoft lost a lot a money in that same sector. Microsoft did not break out hardware profit or loss for the X-box hardware.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/148982/xbox_delivers_a_profit.html

"XBox Delivers a Profit

By GamePro, gamepro.com Jul 26, 2008 10:15 am

NIntendo is king, but Microsoft's gaming division still managed to post its first ever year-long profits this week.

The latest NPD report may have been all Nintendo (again), but Microsoft had a milestone of its own worth crowing about this week: its gaming division posted its first full-year profit, ever.

It's quite an accomplishment for the division, which houses the Xbox team, especially considering the multi-year losses it has posted year-over-year before today.

As of June 30, the Xbox division on its own made Microsoft $426 million in operating profits, and $8.1 billion in total sales. According to the company's 4th quarter report, those numbers are up 34% from the year before, when it lost the company nearly $2 billion. Of course, the Entertainment and Devices division (which houses the Xbox team) as a whole still ended up losing $188 million for the year.

In its report, Microsoft said the gains were due to increased Xbox 360 sales, Halo 3, Xbox Live subscriptions and services, and accessory sales."

In addition, have you ever heard the term "loss leader"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loss_leader

"Video game consoles

Video game consoles have often been sold at a loss while software and accessory sales are highly profitable to the console manufacturer, a tactic first utilized in the sixth generation era. Sony and Microsoft, with their PlayStation 2 and Xbox, had prohibitively high manufacturing costs so they were forced to sell their consoles at a loss, and these losses widened especially in 2002–2003 when both sides tried to grab market share with price cuts. Nintendo had a different strategy with its GameCube, which was considerably less expensive to produce than its rivals, so it retailed at break-even or higher prices. In the current generation of consoles; both Sony and Microsoft have sold their consoles, the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360, respectively, at a loss and made up for it through game software and accessory profits (Nintendo again prices its Wii at break-even or higher prices, as it is cheaper to make). For this reason, console manufacturers aggressively protect their profit margin against piracy by pursuing legal action against carriers of modchips and jailbreaks."

post #919 of 1422 Old 09-06-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:

How much Sony loses in a year does not bother me one bit. I do not own any Sony stock!
I also do not know how Sony accounts for development costs, nor for software sales and subscriptions (and the like).
Maybe competition had something to do with that loss. Microsoft lost a lot a money in that same sector. Microsoft did not break out hardware profit or loss for the X-box hardware.
t.XBox Delivers a Profit
NIntendo is king, but Microsoft's gaming division still managed to post its first ever year-long profits this week.
The latest NPD report may have been all Nintendo (again), but Microsoft had a milestone of its own worth crowing about this week: its gaming division posted its first full-year profit, ever.
It's quite an accomplishment for the division, which houses the Xbox team, especially considering the multi-year losses it has posted year-over-year before today.
As of June 30, the Xbox division on its own made Microsoft $426 million in operating profits, and $8.1 billion in total sales. According to the company's 4th quarter report, those numbers are up 34% from the year before, when it lost the company nearly $2 billion. Of course, the Entertainment and Devices division (which houses the Xbox team) as a whole still ended up losing $188 million for the year.
In its report, Microsoft said the gains were due to increased Xbox 360 sales, Halo 3, Xbox Live subscriptions and services, and accessory sales.

I don't understand - first you say that Sony losing money is irrelevant to this thread - now you are showing Microsoft financial info. What does THAT have to do with this thread?

Looks like a defensive post to me.
post #920 of 1422 Old 09-06-2012, 07:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

That was what I was trying to pin down. Internet speed matters more than most people realize.
Now that I know what to look for, I checked out Verizon FIOS Internet. You have to move up the food chain until you see streaming listed. The 15 Mbps upload speed probably is too slow, and the 50 Mbps upload speed is the first tier listed as streaming.
$50 a month extra for the 50 Mbps download speed. I can buy a lot of OD product for that monthly charge!

What that shows is a sales tactic by Verizon....

Again downloading a HD movie and Streaming a HD movie two different things....Myself for a example...Internet speed between 20-30 mbps.... I can stream Vudu 1080p DD+ 7.1 or 5.1 with no issue while my Wife can be playing games on Facebook, my Son playing Xbox Live and my Daughter streaming Netflix in her room.

Vudu states you need a min of 9 mbps to stream 1080p HDX, Netflix I believe is 4-5 mbps to stream HD. Amazon if I remember reading right has a bug in their system that it won't stream HD unless you have a min of 7 mbps (read that here somewhere) so them stating you need a plan at 65-150 mbps is just a sales tatic get get people to pay more money.

Don't mean to interrupt the Sony/Microsoft discussion !
post #921 of 1422 Old 09-06-2012, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

What that shows is a sales tactic by Verizon....

Again downloading a HD movie and Streaming a HD movie two different things....Myself for a example...Internet speed between 20-30 mbps.... I can stream Vudu 1080p DD+ 7.1 or 5.1 with no issue while my Wife can be playing games on Facebook, my Son playing Xbox Live and my Daughter streaming Netflix in her room.

Vudu states you need a min of 9 mbps to stream 1080p HDX, Netflix I believe is 4-5 mbps to stream HD. Amazon if I remember reading right has a bug in their system that it won't stream HD unless you have a min of 7 mbps (read that here somewhere) so them stating you need a plan at 65-150 mbps is just a sales tatic get get people to pay more money.

Don't mean to interrupt the Sony/Microsoft discussion !

FIOS does not offer your internet speed of 20-30 Mbps. Upload speed of 15 Mbps, then the next tier is 50 Mbps theoretical. What is the theoretical speed that you are paying for? Would you have a streaming problem with 10 to 15 Mbps measured speed?

FIOS clearly states "stream video and games virtually lag free" for the 50 Mbps tier.

Another thing that is noted at Amazon. Streaming bit rates change depending on actual internet speed. Quality will change even though resolution does not change.
post #922 of 1422 Old 09-06-2012, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBlow74 View Post

Take John Carter for example. Disney spent millions of dollars for a horrible movie that now is forgotten. They will never recoup their losses on their movie. If they make a few movies which does not do good, they are in the red. See where I am going with this. Actors are paid waaaaaay to much money and only make a movie like John Carter tank even more. But, Hollywood would rather blame hackers and people who supposedly copy movies as the reason why they are loosing millions. Hollywood needs to look at why they are loosing money and get rid of that issue. Most consumers do not copy movies and are willing to purchase movies they like.

Setting the dvd discussion aside for a moment... Where did you get that John Carter is forgotten? Have you seen it? It's a *good*movie that had a bad marketing from beginning to end and people didn't care for it. Me included. Having seen it I regret my first assumptions cause now I would like to see a sequel although it's very unlikely for obvious reasons. I'm truly glad I blind bought it. Actors involved in John Carter were not the biggest names, and were not paid insane amounts of money, so excuse me but your argument doesn't apply to this film. And since most consumer are willing to purchase movies they like, John Carter is having a very good run on home video you can google that information pretty easily, yet that probably won't be enough for it to be profitable. Back to our regular schedule now... wink.gif
post #923 of 1422 Old 09-06-2012, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Maybe competition had something to do with that loss. Microsoft lost a lot a money in that same sector. Microsoft did not break out hardware profit or loss for the X-box hardware.
t.XBox Delivers a Profit
In its report, Microsoft said the gains were due to increased Xbox 360 sales, Halo 3, Xbox Live subscriptions and services, and accessory sales.

I don't understand - first you say that Sony losing money is irrelevant to this thread - now you are showing Microsoft financial info. What does THAT have to do with this thread?

Looks like a defensive post to me.

Ah, the post whore game remains alive and well. You brought up Sony losing money on PS-3 sales. I brought up Microsoft losing money on the X-box. I guess one off topic post deserves a related off topic response.

The bluray vs HD DVD war has been over for a while regardless of the corporate strategy for the PS-3.
post #924 of 1422 Old 09-06-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:

Ah, the post whore game remains alive and well. You brought up Sony losing money on PS-3 sales. I brought up Microsoft losing money on the X-box. I guess one off topic post deserves a related off topic response.
The bluray vs HD DVD war has been over for a while regardless of the corporate strategy for the PS-3.

But as I said, the PS3 is relevant to this thread as all bring up BD when it comes to quality PQ and AQ. And we all know that the PS3 was responsible for winning the Format War for BD.

But BD's win wasn't enough to stem the tide of OD's losses in the sell thru market. It hasn't convinced the majority of consumers,who BTW own an HDTV (approx. 70% of all USA homes have at least one) to drop DVD and adopt BD. Just the very small videophile market.

What relevance does the Xbox 360 have to THIS thread? Other than it can be used as a DVD player or a streaming device - none that I can see. As a matter of fact, you are the first to bring it up in this thread after some 900+ posts.
post #925 of 1422 Old 09-06-2012, 08:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

FIOS does not offer your internet speed of 20-30 Mbps. Upload speed of 15 Mbps, then the next tier is 50 Mbps theoretical. What is the theoretical speed that you are paying for? Would you have a streaming problem with 10 to 15 Mbps measured speed?
FIOS clearly states "stream video and games virtually lag free" for the 50 Mbps tier.
Another thing that is noted at Amazon. Streaming bit rates change depending on actual internet speed. Quality will change even though resolution does not change.

Its hard to so exactly what the speed I'm paying for is, to explain my Wife works for the one of the largest cable companies and we get a bundle package really low $$ ! wink.gif

If I remember right before we were in the 15-20 mbps package but always was higher. Its difficult to say if you would have a problem with 10 to 15, most likely it would be fine but I don't know if you have sever changes during Peak time or off Peak time.

Like I said before whenever a company increases their speeds it always changes the sales tactic....I remember when it was 50 mbps was considered the Ultimate Package!

And with what Amazon stated they all say that...Amazon,Netflix,Vudu, Hulu, HBO Go etc etc... Think like this..if you have 8 mbps and you was streaming Amazon HD then all the kids in the hood got home from school and started playing Xbox or PS3 online you might see a drop in quality, with higher speed chances are you won't.
post #926 of 1422 Old 09-06-2012, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

But as I said, the PS3 is relevant to this thread as all bring up BD when it comes to quality PQ and AQ. And we all know that the PS3 was responsible for winning the Format War for BD.

But BD's win wasn't enough to stem the tide of OD's losses in the sell thru market. It hasn't convinced the majority of consumers,who BTW own an HDTV (approx. 70% of all USA homes have at least one) to drop DVD and adopt BD. Just the very small videophile market.

What relevance does the Xbox 360 have to THIS thread? Other than it can be used as a DVD player or a streaming device - none that I can see. As a matter of fact, you are the first to bring it up in this thread after some 900+ posts.

The Xbox and the PS-3 both can be used as a streaming device. Neither unit is an economical replacement for a dedicated bluray/dvd/streaming video player. If you want a telephone/streaming device you can also buy one of those.

The loose tie in on how a PS-3 helped Sony win the bluray format war is interesting, but that was then and this is now. There is no format war these days. Sony and Microsoft using gaming based hardware as a loss leader is a very loose tie in to streaming and bluray.
post #927 of 1422 Old 09-06-2012, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Its hard to so exactly what the speed I'm paying for is, to explain my Wife works for the one of the largest cable companies and we get a bundle package really low $$ ! wink.gif

If I remember right before we were in the 15-20 mbps package but always was higher. Its difficult to say if you would have a problem with 10 to 15, most likely it would be fine but I don't know if you have sever changes during Peak time or off Peak time.

Like I said before whenever a company increases their speeds it always changes the sales tactic....I remember when it was 50 mbps was considered the Ultimate Package!

And with what Amazon stated they all say that...Amazon,Netflix,Vudu, Hulu, HBO Go etc etc... Think like this..if you have 8 mbps and you was streaming Amazon HD then all the kids in the hood got home from school and started playing Xbox or PS3 online you might see a drop in quality, with higher speed chances are you won't.

For shame. You can't mention X-box. It is against the rules!wink.gif

I am going to keep spending my cash on OD software and skip the high speed internet fees as well as skipping the streaming software purchases. I only have two recent movies on my "must buy" list anyhow.
post #928 of 1422 Old 09-06-2012, 09:28 PM

netflix-hulu-viewing.png
post #929 of 1422 Old 09-06-2012, 09:45 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

netflix-hulu-viewing.png
Looks like Blu-ray is dying also.
post #930 of 1422 Old 09-06-2012, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 327
links links and more links do all infos in links are 100% accurate biggrin.gif

Do the info in wiki is 100% accurate rolleyes.gif

This Is getting boring links link links links info from links links links and more links tongue.gif

Panasonic 65VT60 / Marantz SR7005 / Marantz UD7007 /2 PSA XS30 /Revel Performa3 F206 / Revel Performa3 C205 / Revel Surrounds/Sonos Connect/ Roku 3 / Amazon Fire tv / Xbox One / HTPC / Darbee 5000.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
Blu Ray Movies