Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 1422 Old 09-07-2012, 06:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

Well retailers have been doing this for well over ten years now, so I think they know what they are doing smile.gif

Read Best Buy's most recent financials - you thought wrong.
Quote:
Even Amazon was selling movies as loss leaders during the holiday season to get more traffic to their site in hopes of people buying other items.
I don't really see the trend stopping, if anything it seems like the deals are as good as ever for optical discs.

Key word . . .. hopes

any data on how many people who are looking to order/buy a single movie who also buy something else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1422 Old 09-07-2012, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post

I don't think my personal data ,but most of the programs have a registration key ,You just need to re-download the program.They could just let me download the movies for free don't you think? is the same way as when I bought then,Is just a download.but since they sold their company to walmart ,I lost all...If had bought the actual dvd dics I will still have the movies.
Those that talk really good about buying digital streaming media,they wont be saying anything till something bad happens to their cloud collection.
I can said that streaming its been great for me, But I will not buy a digital streaming media.
I want the physical media with me.

If it's in a "cloud collection" what could possible happen to it?
post #993 of 1422 Old 09-07-2012, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 104
How do access a streamed "cloud collection" from a random computer?
post #994 of 1422 Old 09-07-2012, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post

I don't think my personal data ,but most of the programs have a registration key ,You just need to re-download the program.They could just let me download the movies for free don't you think? is the same way as when I bought then,Is just a download.but since they sold their company to walmart ,I lost all...If had bought the actual dvd dics I will still have the movies.
Those that talk really good about buying digital streaming media,they wont be saying anything till something bad happens to their cloud collection.
I can said that streaming its been great for me, But I will not buy a digital streaming media.
I want the physical media with me.

What if you bought the Looney Tunes DVD box set and it got "Damaged" do you think the studio is going to replace it?

And your incident is the reason they now have the Cloud. Its a Digital Rights Locker...To protect your Digital Movies/TV
post #995 of 1422 Old 09-07-2012, 06:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Palmer_Cass View Post

In UV.....Vudu.com Flixster.com ParamountMovies.com Sony.com UltraViolet.com etc etc
post #996 of 1422 Old 09-07-2012, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter0911 View Post

Quote:

In UV.....Vudu.com Flixster.com ParamountMovies.com Sony.com UltraViolet.com etc etc

Forget UV.

If I owned the digital streaming rights to 100 movies right now, how do I access them from a random computer?
post #997 of 1422 Old 09-07-2012, 06:50 PM

Quote:

The device also has to be registered at UV's website before it will play UV content.
post #998 of 1422 Old 09-07-2012, 06:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I logged in today to UltraViolet.com and under MyMovies it listed all my Digital Movies from all the different studios and I can Stream or Download them from their site.

Same with ParamountMovies.com under Movies I can view just my Paramount Movies or All... Same option
post #999 of 1422 Old 09-07-2012, 06:51 PM

Quote:

Forget UV.
If I owned the digital streaming rights to 100 movies right now, how do I access them from a random computer?

Who did you buy those rights from? Which retailer/Etailer?
post #1000 of 1422 Old 09-07-2012, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

The device also has to be registered at UV's website before it will play UV content.

True they just have to be linked, which is easy Hit the Link Option!
post #1001 of 1422 Old 09-07-2012, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Forget UV.

Who did you buy those rights from? Which retailer/Etailer?

I don't own any myself, but let's say that they are divided up among three retailers and some may be included with a factory bluray package deal.
post #1002 of 1422 Old 09-07-2012, 07:13 PM

Quote:

I don't own any myself, but let's say that they are divided up among three retailers and some may be included with a factory bluray package deal.

What do you mean "some may be included with a BD Combo?" Those would be accessed through UV. ou register the UV codes for them at the UV site. You also register your computer and you stream them. What about the others? You can buy streaming rights from a retailer like the disc to digital program that Walmart runs which means they are accessed from UV. Walmart uses Vudu as their UV portal.
post #1003 of 1422 Old 09-07-2012, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

What do you mean "some may be included with a BD Combo?" Those would be accessed through UV. You register your computer and you stream them. What about the others? You can buy streaming rights from a retailer like the disc to digital program that Walmart runs which means they are accessed from UV.

Does Amazon use UV codes for their streaming service?

Does Netfilix use UV codes for their streaming service?
post #1004 of 1422 Old 09-07-2012, 07:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ok, your kinda stretching it here, I pretty much already answered you. Im at a random computer and I want to watch a movie,ok, bought from Walmart go to Vudu.com and log in. Amazon go to Amazon.com and log in and stream. Same from ParamountMovies.com, if I bought a movie from WB go to WB.com or Flixster. If from a blu-ray thats UV now or iTunes...before UV if you had a WMV digital copy use PlayOn or any other streaming software.
post #1005 of 1422 Old 09-07-2012, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Netfilx no you dont buy a movie, but I can go to a random computer and log into Netflix.com and stream....
post #1006 of 1422 Old 09-07-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:

Amazon has yet to embrace UV though they are a member of UV. For Amazon Prime, their streaming service - that is an SVOD service. Different altogether,
Quote:

No, Netflix is not a member of UV. And Netflix is an SVOD service. You pay one price per month and have thousands of movies and TV shows to choose from.
post #1007 of 1422 Old 09-07-2012, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Amazon has yet to embrace UV though they are a member of UV. For Amazon Prime, their streaming service - that is an SVOD service. Different altogether,
Quote:

No, Netflix is not a member of UV. And Netflix is an SVOD service. You pay one price per month and have thousands of movies and TV shows to choose from.

Alright, Best Buy rather than Netfix.

For Amazon, Amazon Prime does not count. I am talking about the purchase of content that can be streamed. Here is an example that is not even available from amazon Prime - The Hunger Games. I assume that I have to go into my Amazon account and activate something to stream to a different PC.

The Hunger Games
post #1008 of 1422 Old 09-07-2012, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

OK, I just found where to look at Amazon. Your Video Library is the section.

The Hunger Games has a UV copy as well as an Amazon Instant Video copy when you buy the Bluray. Hardly worth the purchase without getting the Bluray discs included for a minimal added cost ($3.00 extra from Amazon).

The dual Bluray package with the UV copy sells for less than that at other Amazon vendors (around $15.00 delivered).

Streaming and ownership are hardly compatible. Free streaming video is fine to go along with the annual Amazon Prime fee, but that is a limited streaming feature.

A free UV copy as an extra along with a Bluray disc is fine, but why pay more for less (AKA no Bluray disc included)?

Streaming is a rental service as far as I am concerned.
post #1009 of 1422 Old 09-07-2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:

You bought a BD Combo from BB which included a UV code - you register the UV code at the UV website then stream the movie on your UV registered device.

Netflix doesn't sell anything BTW. That's why they dropped out of UV.
Quote:
For Amazon, Amazon Prime does not count. I am talking about the purchase of content that can be streamed. Here is an example that is not even available from amazon Prime - The Hunger Games. I assume that I have to go into my Amazon account and activate something to stream to a different PC.
The Hunger Games

Same thing - you bought the BD Combo with UV code (The Hunger Games is Lionsgate's first UV title) from Amazon. They shipped it to your home. You register the UV code and stream it on your already registerd UV device.

Another scenerio . . .

You went to Walmart and brought in 10 BDs (that you bought last year) that you can take advantage (not all titles are elligible) of with their disc to digital program. You paid $5 per title. You now have those 10 titles in your UV account which you can stream to any of your UV registered devices by going to Vudu's website. NOTE; DVDs cost $2 each but you will only get SD streaming.
post #1010 of 1422 Old 09-07-2012, 08:09 PM

Quote:

Streaming is a rental service as far as I am concerned.

From a viewing standpoint how it is different from owning a disc when you can stream a movie to any of your UV registered devices any time you want? And say you have a kid in college. His PC is registered in your family UV account. He can stream the movies you register at UV. So can your sister who is married and lives in another state with her UV registered BD player which is alo in your UV family account. What are you going to do - start shipping discs to your family members? They have it - you don't.

And remember - making copies is illegal so don't even go there.
post #1011 of 1422 Old 09-07-2012, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

You bought a BD Combo from BB which included a UV code - you register the UV code at the UV website then stream the movie on your UV registered device.

Netflix doesn't sell anything BTW. That's why they dropped out of UV.
Quote:
The Hunger Games

Same thing - you bought the BD Combo with UV code (The Hunger Games is Lionsgate's first UV title) from Amazon. They shipped it to your home. You register the UV code and stream it on your already registerd UV device.

Another scenerio . . .

You went to Walmart and brought in 10 BDs (that you bought last year) that you can take advantage (not all titles are elligible) of with their disc to digital program. You paid $5 per title. You now have those 10 titles in your UV account which you can stream to any of your UV registered devices by going to Vudu's website. NOTE; DVDs cost $2 each but you will only get SD streaming.

Forget the bluray purchase scenario with UV included. We are talking video streaming purchase of a random video.

Here is the Best Buy streaming site - Hunger Games.

The Hunger Games
post #1012 of 1422 Old 09-07-2012, 08:15 PM

Quote:

Forget the bluray purchase scenario with UV included. We are talking video streaming purchase of a random video.
The Hunger Games

That's a UV title. Best Buy/CinemaNow are members of UV. It's a download that can also be streamed. The download resides on your PC but the title itself is in your UV account to stream to any of your UV registered devices.
post #1013 of 1422 Old 09-07-2012, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

The Hunger Games

That's a UV title. Best Buy/CinemaNow are members of UV. It's a download that can also be streamed. The download resides on your PC but the title itself is in your UV account to stream to any of your UV registered devices.

I know that happens to be a UV title. Poor choice to use for an example. I suppose I could pick one of the 100 titles that I own, but no need for that.

How about the movie Dodge Ball? That sound more appropriate if you get my drift!
post #1014 of 1422 Old 09-07-2012, 08:28 PM

Quote:

I know that happens to be a UV title. Poor choice to use for an example. I suppose I could pick one of the 100 titles that I own, but no need for that.
How about the movie Dodge Ball? That sound more appropriate if you get my drift!

A BD right? You go over to Walmart - see if it's elligible for their disc to digital program - let's say it is. You pay $5 and now it's in your UV account to stream to any of your registered UV devices, your PC, your Smartphone, your tablet, your BD player, etc.

To access your Dodge Ball - just go to the Vudu website to access your UV account..
post #1015 of 1422 Old 09-07-2012, 09:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Actually its $2.00 for Blu-ray for a HD. And DVDs are $2.00 for a SD copy or $5.00 for a HD copy.

http://www.vudu.com/disc_to_digital.html
post #1016 of 1422 Old 09-07-2012, 09:28 PM

Quote:

Actually its $2.00 for Blu-ray for a HD. And DVDs are $2.00 for a SD copy or $5.00 for a HD copy.
http://www.vudu.com/disc_to_digital.html

OK - thanks - even better.
post #1017 of 1422 Old 09-07-2012, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Quote:

Read Best Buy's most recent financials - you thought wrong.
Key word . . .. hopes
any data on how many people who are looking to order/buy a single movie who also buy something else?

Great, so we heard it here from Lee. Walmart, Target, Best Buy, Amazon... No more loss leaders on optical disc folks...

I will take that bet all day long smile.gif
post #1018 of 1422 Old 09-07-2012, 10:25 PM

Quote:

Great, so we heard it here from Lee. Walmart, Target, Best Buy, Amazon... No more loss leaders on optical disc folks...
I will take that bet all day long smile.gif

It isn't that they are not using loss leaders - it's how effective they are. Just look at their financials. It definitely isn't helping.
post #1019 of 1422 Old 09-07-2012, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:

It isn't that they are not using loss leaders - it is what is happening by them using loss leaders. Just look at their financials. It definitely isn't helping.

Who? Best buy? Walmart? Target? Who are you talking about? And if loss leaders were not effective, the stores would stop doing it.
post #1020 of 1422 Old 09-08-2012, 12:00 AM

Quote:

Who? Best buy? Walmart? Target? Who are you talking about? And if loss leaders were not effective, the stores would stop doing it.

Best Buy. That is who I specifically mentioned - post #991

Retailers are highly competitive Ack. They pretty much have no choice when it comes to using loss leaders. And that doesn't mean they work. Going to Best Buy isn't like going food shopping.

Oh . . . Ack . . . when you said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk

Well retailers have been doing this for well over ten years now, so I think they know what they are doing

How many CE retailers have gone out of buiness in the last 5 years? So they didn't know what they were doing or else they wouldn't have gone out of business right?
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
Blu Ray Movies

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page