post #1411 of 1422 Old 10-19-2012, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Why would someone who bought a movie digitally and should have downloaded it onto their hard drive prefer streaming that movie from the internet? That link doesn't explain that odd behaviour.

I don't find that behavior 'odd' at all for a 'normal' person. Many people when told that they can 'watch it whenever they want', use the service as they would Netflix - streaming to their TV on-demand with a set-top box. Sorry, but if I buy a 'watch it indefinitely' program - I expect to be able watch it as long as I and the service exists. I could understand pulling the 'pay-per-view' option down or pulling the ability to purchase by those who have not, but not restricting access to those who had purchased a 'watch it whenever, forever' version.

Many people dont care to have (or don't have the space for) local copies of everything they buy if they are told they can access it 'for a length of time that has no fixed or obvious end'.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1412 of 1422 Old 10-19-2012, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25

Yes. I feel that the people who prefer downloads are essentially the same people who would prefer hard copies of their media, e.g., BD, DVD. Title of this thread is misleading in that, when you proclaim "DVD is Dying", you're comparing the behavior of people who prefer hard copies versus those who would stream on demand.

post #1413 of 1422 Old 10-19-2012, 02:00 PM

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by BartMan01 View Post

I don't find that behavior 'odd' at all for a 'normal' person. Many people when told that they can 'watch it whenever they want', use the service as they would Netflix - streaming to their TV on-demand with a set-top box. Sorry, but if I buy a 'watch it indefinitely' program - I expect to be able watch it as long as I and the service exists. I could understand pulling the 'pay-per-view' option down or pulling the ability to purchase by those who have not, but not restricting access to those who had purchased a 'watch it whenever, forever' version.
Many people dont care to have (or don't have the space for) local copies of everything they buy if they are told they can access it 'for a length of time that has no fixed or obvious end'.

But there is difference, which you are ignoring, between buying a download to have on your PC and streaming a movie from a site.

The guarantee is when you buy a movie (EST), it is yours for as long as you can keep it on your PC(s). There is no guarantee as far as streaming. Streaming is subject to "blackouts" which occur between exclusive deals between content providers and content delivery services and timeframes that streaming titles are available. Anyone who has used Netflix understands this. One day content is there - the next, it is gone. Then it reappears months later.
post #1414 of 1422 Old 10-19-2012, 09:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
The most annoying thing I find is that we're on the edge of 4k and 8k being released, and OVER EIGHTY PERCENT of my satellite channels are 480p.
post #1415 of 1422 Old 10-20-2012, 12:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Only issue with your post. The future is not "streaming" is digital. You haven't included downloads in your scenerio like the one where you had a hurricane and there was a week of power but no internet. No problem. All of the movies you downloaded to your PC can be played. Multi TB hard drives are dirt cheap.
You can't play an optical disc on either a Smartphone or Tablet. These are up and coming ways for consumers to watch their entertainment.
I have Comcast as my ISP. I pay $50 a month. My cap is 250GB a month. MORE than adqueate for my family's needs. Watching streamed entertainment (NF) is just one of the choices we have in my household. My guess - about 15%. The other 85% is made up of Cable, On Demand (cable's SVOD - no charge), watching our library of optical discs and renting ODs from Redbox. My son is a huge gamer. That is probably 40% of his time in front of his TV. Me - no gaming at all but I do like to "cruise the internet" and post on forums (3)
Physical media isn't going away in a few years as you claim. There are many who believe it will be with us 15 years from now, 20 years from now . . .
It isn;t a case of physical or digital. It is physical and digital - that is the foreseeable future of home video.

I agree. Even though the "hey day" of the sale of media (packaged or download/streaming) is over, both will be available well into the future. Right now, I think Apple has the the most flexible arrangement because you can stream and download your purchases and even re-download your purchases if needed. Even during the HBO exclusive window! However, the studios are finally admitting what I have noticed for several years: the mainstream consumer does not feel the need to own content anymore. The novelty has worn off and they've experienced buyer's remorse looking at the shelves of discs they paid for and watched once or twice long ago. The same content could have been watched once or twice for a reasonable monthly fee, without the clutter! They have learned their lesson. No more impulse buying of content (disc or download). It is better to pay a monthly fee for access to the content.
post #1416 of 1422 Old 10-20-2012, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by WagBoss View Post

The most annoying thing I find is that we're on the edge of 4k and 8k being released, and OVER EIGHTY PERCENT of my satellite channels are 480p.
4K/8K are still a long way off. They're at about the same stage as HD was back in the mid 1990's when I saw my first HD demonstration set. It took over 10 years from that point before prices and content availability got to the point where it really gained traction in the market.
post #1417 of 1422 Old 10-20-2012, 01:44 PM

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Nelson View Post

4K/8K are still a long way off. They're at about the same stage as HD was back in the mid 1990's when I saw my first HD demonstration set. It took over 10 years from that point before prices and content availability got to the point where it really gained traction in the market.

"Marginal Share" for 4K TV
Quote:
Customer demand for ultra-HD 4K TVs for the 2012-2017 period will remain "negligible" according to IHS iSuppli, despite tradeshow hype and a number of high-profile product launches.

According to the analyst global 4K TV shipments during the next 5 years will never account for more than 1% of the total LCD TV market-- shipments will grow from 4000 units in 2012 to 2.1 million by 2017 (or 0.8% of global LCD shipments for the year).

http://www.on-ce.eu/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1393:isuppli-qmarginal-shareq-for-4k-tv-&catid=24&Itemid=100038
post #1418 of 1422 Old 11-01-2012, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Where did all the criminals go to?

Remember, you can not copy your old videos to a hard drive if you bypass the copy-protection features that exist on the disc.

"Recently the U.S. Copyright Office in response to a request to provide a copy exemption for consumers wanting to watch legally-owned DVDs on non-disc devices, has ruled it's illegal to bypass copy-protection in order to make digital copies for playback on hard drives, tablets, phones, and non-disc devices."

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1436730/new-ruling-confirms-copying-dvds-is-illegal
post #1419 of 1422 Old 11-02-2012, 06:29 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
with the recent rulling looks like you cant make backup copies of streamed movies you 'bought'

Streaming is a joke if its not a rental.
post #1420 of 1422 Old 11-03-2012, 04:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

with the recent rulling looks like you cant make backup copies of streamed movies you 'bought'

Streaming is a joke if its not a rental.

You can make copies of anything that you want to make copies of. You just can not bypass copy protection schemes.

I copy movies off of cable. No copy protection, so nothing to bypass.

"Keep in mind this ruling doesn't apply to legal Disc-to-Digital copy options out there, such as Ultraviolet and other services."
post #1421 of 1422 Old 11-03-2012, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Palmer_Cass View Post

You can make copies of anything that you want to make copies of. You just can not bypass copy protection schemes.
I copy movies off of cable. No copy protection, so nothing to bypass.
"Keep in mind this ruling doesn't apply to legal Disc-to-Digital copy options out there, such as Ultraviolet and other services."

Does not apply to uv for now. But they csn change the tos anytime they want. Good luck trying to claw back my dvd collection. With streaming they can cut you off anytime they see fit
post #1422 of 1422 Old 11-03-2012, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Palmer_Cass View Post

You CAN bypass copy protection schemes, it is possible to do. Whether you MAY do so is a whole different can of worms that depends on jurisdiction and yet to be fought court cases. I don't see big media actually going after anyone making copies of their own personal media for their own personal use out of fear of exactly how those court cases might resolve.

A good answer to the energy problems would be to using the spinning of the founding fathers in their graves. They must be turning pretty fast at this point given how far we have progressed towards a police state in the last few decades. it is getting practically impossible to walk out your front door (or even get out of bed) without violating some law.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
Blu Ray Movies

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page