Should a Rebooted Batman Appear in 'Justice League' Before a Film Series? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 08-28-2012, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
espodo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19

According to recent rumors, Warner Brothers has every intention on rebooting the Batman franchise, though it plans on introducing him as a part of their planned Justice League film before launching into a new film series: 

 

 

Quote:

A reputable source of Batman news reports Warner Bros. plan is to introduce the new, rebooted Batman in the Justice League film and start a new film series after that.
 
By doing this, Warner Bros. will also avoid one thing fans have been adamantly arguing against: another Batman origin story. By now, we’re smart enough for Batman to just be Batman. Hint to the backstory, briefly show it, but build off heat from Justice League and move on from there.
 
And if that happens, then all eyes should 100% be locked into Will Beall, the writer of Justice League. He literally carries the fate of billions upon billions of dollars in revenue in his laptop.

 

 

Do you think this is a good approach to take? I feel like there's no way to top the Nolan trilogy's origin story, so there's no point in even trying. Warner's best bet is to take off from the middle and get things rolling from there.

 

http://www.slashfilm.com/rumor-rebooted-batman-will-first-appear-in-justice-league-before-new-film-series/

espodo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 Old 08-28-2012, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member
 
swarm87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: rhode island
Posts: 892
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 48
he[nolan] killed off the bruce wayne batman; so a total bruce wayne batman reboot would be in order minus the tired origin story because i dont think anyone wants to see a batman that isnt either bruce or terry mcginnis/wayne. the only characters that really need an origin are wonder woman,aquaman, flash, and (wishful thinking here) martian manhunter. i would however like to see john stewart green lantern because ryan reynolds left a bad taste in regards to hal jordan and he was the GL in the DCAU shows.

pcm=potato
bitstream=patato
swarm87 is offline  
post #3 of 19 Old 08-28-2012, 11:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 26,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 815
A JL movie is the only way to go.

We have had PLENTY of Batman flicks already, thank you.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
oink is offline  
post #4 of 19 Old 08-29-2012, 01:12 AM
Newbie
 
gibsonm21's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
IMO a JL movie and any reboot of Batman what so ever will be an immediate failure. Batman shouldn't be touched for another 6 - 8 years and I personally don't see a chance that Justice League is a quality movie given the intricate story lines behind each character. I have the feeling that producers are going to try to ride on the coat tails of The Avengers and make an action packed/story lacking film and that's not the way to go at all IMO.

Chris Nolan re-created the super-hero genre and destroyed it at the same time for DC comics with his ability to humanize Batman. The Avengers and other Marvel comic's movies will always work because they are humor based action characters, but a lot more thought and creative writing has to go in to creating a DC comic film for it to work; hence why Chris Nolan's Batman is the only quality DC film since the original Tim Burton film (20 years of movies/30 years since the last good superman). Either let it go altogether or give Nolan a blank check to resurrect Batman and whoever else he wants to create.
gibsonm21 is offline  
post #5 of 19 Old 08-29-2012, 02:12 AM
Member
 
Brucew0617's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Why not, I am so enjoying the rebooted batman.
Brucew0617 is offline  
post #6 of 19 Old 08-29-2012, 03:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
sdurani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Monterey Park, CA
Posts: 19,096
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by espodo View Post

Do you think this is a good approach to take?
I think it's the best way to reboot the Batman franchise: start with a Justice League film and break out individual character movies from there. Instead of copying Marvel's grand scheme for the Avengers, show some originality and take the opposite path. That would also keep the new Batman film from being released too soon after Dark Knight Rises, using the Justice League movie as a buffer.

BTW, I know there was a (debunked?) rumor that Ben Affleck might be directing the JL film, but after seeing The Incredibles and the latest Mission: Impossible film, I'd love to see Brad Bird helm the film.

Sanjay
sdurani is online now  
post #7 of 19 Old 08-29-2012, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Closet Geek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,957
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 114
I am the farthest thing from a pessimist but I'm really struggling with a successful JL movie. There are so many superhero movies out now and already established, adding more I think would just be overload. After Batman (Dark Knight) and Man of Steel, I just don't think you can get enough of a successful draw for the other characters before burnout. Simply put, Marvel beat DC to it. They caught the front of development of characters, rode the wave they created (so to speak) and capitalized with The Avengers. Either way DC does it will be (or appear so) an act of desperation to get in the game or a copy cat structure again possibly leading to overload. The real linchpin is Superman. Assuming there is serious development going on here, will Man of Steel fit the JL concept by way of story and imagery? If not, then there will be another reboot of sorts with that either standalone or within the JL movie and you'd have to do the same with Batman. I would really like to see it work but it's difficult for me to see it happening (successfully) in the near future. Having said that, on the assumption that Man of Steel is in line with the JL concept, hinting at the formation of JL at the end of it, perhaps even seeing characters in a classic JL pose would possibly satisfy the idea. Or even drop hints throughout the movie of the other characters maybe as their alias but not full character development might work. But anything beyond that again I fear would be overload.
Closet Geek is offline  
post #8 of 19 Old 08-29-2012, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Rach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,688
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post

I am the farthest thing from a pessimist but I'm really struggling with a successful JL movie. There are so many superhero movies out now and already established, adding more I think would just be overload. After Batman (Dark Knight) and Man of Steel, I just don't think you can get enough of a successful draw for the other characters before burnout. Simply put, Marvel beat DC to it. They caught the front of development of characters, rode the wave they created (so to speak) and capitalized with The Avengers. Either way DC does it will be (or appear so) an act of desperation to get in the game or a copy cat structure again possibly leading to overload. The real linchpin is Superman. Assuming there is serious development going on here, will Man of Steel fit the JL concept by way of story and imagery? If not, then there will be another reboot of sorts with that either standalone or within the JL movie and you'd have to do the same with Batman. I would really like to see it work but it's difficult for me to see it happening (successfully) in the near future. Having said that, on the assumption that Man of Steel is in line with the JL concept, hinting at the formation of JL at the end of it, perhaps even seeing characters in a classic JL pose would possibly satisfy the idea. Or even drop hints throughout the movie of the other characters maybe as their alias but not full character development might work. But anything beyond that again I fear would be overload.

You nailed it. They are so behind Marvel and won't be able to catch up. Nolan's Batman is phenominal. It can't be topped. Don't mess with it!
Rach is offline  
post #9 of 19 Old 08-29-2012, 07:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Nuance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 11,583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rach View Post

You nailed it. They are so behind Marvel and won't be able to catch up. Nolan's Batman is phenominal. It can't be topped. Don't mess with it!

I completely agree.

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

 

 

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
Nuance is offline  
post #10 of 19 Old 08-29-2012, 08:10 AM
Member
 
aquastar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: michigan
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
If they want to reboot BATMAN, I suggest they use DICK GRAYSON. He was ROBIN at first and is now NIGHTWING. He has some name recognition and for a time served as BATMAN just prior to last years 52 reboot.
aquastar is offline  
post #11 of 19 Old 08-29-2012, 08:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 26,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

I think it's the best way to reboot the Batman franchise: start with a Justice League film and break out individual character movies from there. Instead of copying Marvel's grand scheme for the Avengers, show some originality and take the opposite path. That would also keep the new Batman film from being released too soon after Dark Knight Rises, using the Justice League movie as a buffer.
+1

Quote:
BTW, I know there was a (debunked?) rumor that Ben Affleck might be directing the JL film, but after seeing The Incredibles and the latest Mission: Impossible film, I'd love to see Brad Bird helm the film.
I think either would be a good choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post

I am the farthest thing from a pessimist but I'm really struggling with a successful JL movie. There are so many superhero movies out now and already established, adding more I think would just be overload. After Batman (Dark Knight) and Man of Steel, I just don't think you can get enough of a successful draw for the other characters before burnout.
The death of the Superhero genre has been predicted for years....wink.gif

Quote:
Simply put, Marvel beat DC to it. They caught the front of development of characters, rode the wave they created (so to speak) and capitalized with The Avengers.
True, that.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
oink is offline  
post #12 of 19 Old 08-29-2012, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Closet Geek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,957
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

The death of the Superhero genre has been predicted for years....wink.gif

True dat in return. But I wasn't necessarily speaking to the "death" of it all it's just that, again, there is so much already out there (and most of it good!) that I think for DC to catch up they run the risk of creating too much of the same thing (more or less) or pushing out a crappy product, which would be even worse. So for now, lay low and take more of a conservative approach and say "hey, we missed this boat, let's wait 10 years then give it a go."

However, because I'm such a brilliant guy (hold down the laughter!), I just had the idea, it might be interesting to do an "underground" concept. Push some story rich, moderately high quality stuff out online, perhaps in 20-30 minute serial format, to keep the idea live and develop a following with buzz. Build your character development this way and use that to lead up to a full scale JL movie. Kind of like, these events and adventures have been going on all along with each superhero, but inconspicuously connected to a larger story that leads up to a JL movie at some later date. This way, you could generate the concept of the DC universe, give it scale and depth via a strong storyline so nothing has to be recreated or reimaged at full scale production. Just a thought.
Closet Geek is offline  
post #13 of 19 Old 08-29-2012, 12:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
sdurani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Monterey Park, CA
Posts: 19,096
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquastar View Post

If they want to reboot BATMAN, I suggest they use DICK GRAYSON. He was ROBIN at first and is now NIGHTWING. He has some name recognition and for a time served as BATMAN just prior to last years 52 reboot.
I don't think they need Dick Grayson when they've already got a character in the Nolan-verse that can become Nightwing:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
gusnyc-nightwing.jpg

Sanjay
sdurani is online now  
post #14 of 19 Old 08-29-2012, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member
 
swarm87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: rhode island
Posts: 892
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

I don't think they need Dick Grayson when they've already got a character in the Nolan-verse that can become Nightwing: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
gusnyc-nightwing.jpg

he wont become nightwing; that whole scene was a "passing the torch" moment for him to become batman.

pcm=potato
bitstream=patato
swarm87 is offline  
post #15 of 19 Old 08-29-2012, 01:29 PM
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 19,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
IMO, the success of a Justice League movie is going to rest 100% with the success of MAN OF STEEL. If it does well - so would a JL movie. If it does not do well (like the previous reboot did not) then a JL movie will be hard to justify.
Lee Stewart is offline  
post #16 of 19 Old 08-29-2012, 01:51 PM
Member
 
aquastar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: michigan
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I do know that a FLASH movie was being discussed. Marc Guggenheim (NO ORDINARY FAMILY) was talking about it in an article when NOF was airing. Since nothing has been said since, i guess it ran out of steam so to speak. Pity, because the tv show (late 80,s?) was pretty cool (THE FLASH).
aquastar is offline  
post #17 of 19 Old 08-29-2012, 05:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
sdurani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Monterey Park, CA
Posts: 19,096
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarm87 View Post

he wont become nightwing; that whole scene was a "passing the torch" moment for him to become batman.
What are they going to do with the statue Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
that was made in tribute to Batman sacrificing his life to save Gotham?

Sanjay
sdurani is online now  
post #18 of 19 Old 09-05-2012, 10:33 AM
Member
 
HorizonChaser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Almost to the Horizon
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I agree it will depend upon the success of "The Man of Steel". As for the Justice League movie, DC needs to try a different take. They need to start with the group and keep it a group like the X-Men movies. Just assume the people know who the major characters are and introduce a little bit about them. WB needs to tell a great story and humanize it without relying on so much SFX. They also need to have one big bad to bring them all together, not a "Legion of Doom" uniting first. They need to focus on developing the hero characters and one villain. Finally, what binds them and makes them a team. What truly makes them a "Justice League". Truth be told, they should get Bruce Timm in as a consultant or some sort of Executive Producer of the franchise like Avi Arad has done for Marvel.

No, we don't need another Batman or Superman reboot. People are familiar enough with them. Green Arrow is getting his own series on CW right now so that will introduce him to the wider audience while also maybe stopping him from being in a JL movie. The latest tv treatments of Wonder Woman and Aquaman failed. The 90's Flash series failed because it was too slow to develop the supervillains and the Flash mythos (by the time they did the show had lost too many viewers and the commercials for the supervillain episodes only made the episodes look too camp). The Green Lantern movie failed because they tried to pack way too much in - too many characters, too many villains, too many Green Lanterns, etc.

Seriously, DC/WB needs to think hard about what to do with the JL franchise before rushing something out for the sake of "competition".
HorizonChaser is offline  
post #19 of 19 Old 09-06-2012, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
cinema13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,587
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorizonChaser View Post

I The 90's Flash series failed because it was too slow to develop the supervillains and the Flash mythos (by the time they did the show had lost too many viewers and the commercials for the supervillain episodes only made the episodes look too camp).

Not the case. Ratings were actually pretty respectable for THE FLASH...especially considering it was up against THE SIMPSONS. It was cancelled due to budgetary reasons. (Over one million dollars per episode, reportedly. A lot of money for an early 90s TV show.)

cinema13 is online now  
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off